SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Montreal Canadiens

Montréal Canadiens Season Discussion Thread

9 oct. 2021 à 12 h 10
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,386
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

Amazing news. Niku is already in full practice (meaning he can take contact). Must've been a very minor concussion.

That’s great, if Edmundson is out for some time, Nike can get occasional ice time
KSIxSKULLS a aimé ceci.
9 oct. 2021 à 15 h 3
Démarrer sujet
Former Hockey Fan
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,516
No Belzile on waivers today. Doesn’t necessarily mean that he’ll be on the opening night roster, since the habs have a bunch of LTIR and normal IR to deal with. Tomorrow they need to be cap and roster compliant, which they should be as long as they send down one of Primeau/Poehling/Guhle/Romanov/Caufield and place Byron and Weber on LTIR.
A_Habs_fan et pinslack a aimé ceci.
9 oct. 2021 à 16 h 26
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,650
Quoting: pinslack
Good text by Arpon telling us that we might see some weird roster moves in the coming days if MTL plans to put Price on LTIR (as well as Weber).

They might try to optimize their payroll as much as they can. Keep Guhle in the line up remains a good way to achieve that.

Too complex for me even if I get the general idea

Interesting player for MTL roster & cap/LTIR situation on waivers today : Gambrell (SJ)

Former 2nd pick center coming with 1.1m / 1 year deal.

SJ preferred to keep an undrafted player and a 4th pick rookie with no AHL/NHL games, so I'm not sure Gambrell camp was good...

But still, that could be the 1 million dollar player the Habs pick to optimize their LTIR. He could fight for a role on 4th line too with Paquette injured and Poehling struggling.

According to Arpon, "On Friday morning, according to a source, the Canadiens got their answer from the NHL. They will be able to put Price on LTIR"

If Bergevin goes for Price on LTIR, he adds : "In an ideal world, the Canadiens would sign or trade for a player at $1.125 million, which is the most a team is allowed to bury in the minors this season. That would allow them to get very close to the new upper limit, then loan that player to Laval on Tuesday and replace him with someone cheaper, like Poehling. The Tampa Bay Lightning did this last season when they signed Boo Nieves to a one-year contract for $708,000, which is a weird number."
SevenLeg, A_Habs_fan, Poehling and 2 others a aimé ceci.
9 oct. 2021 à 18 h 57
Démarrer sujet
Former Hockey Fan
Interesting player for MTL roster & cap/LTIR situation on waivers today : Gambrell (SJ)

SJ preferred to keep an undrafted player and a 4th pick rookie with no AHL/NHL games, so I'm not sure Gambrell camp was good...

But still, that could be the 1 million dollar player the Habs pick to optimize their LTIR. He could fight for a role on 4th line too with Paquette injured and Poehling struggling.

According to Arpon, "On Friday morning, according to a source, the Canadiens got their answer from the NHL. They will be able to put Price on LTIR"

If Bergevin goes for Price on LTIR, he adds : "In an ideal world, the Canadiens would sign or trade for a player at $1.125 million, which is the most a team is allowed to bury in the minors this season. That would allow them to get very close to the new upper limit, then loan that player to Laval on Tuesday and replace him with someone cheaper, like Poehling. The Tampa Bay Lightning did this last season when they signed Boo Nieves to a one-year contract for $708,000, which is a weird number."

That might work, although I’m not sure if the timing lines up. They can’t claim him until 2:00 tomorrow, and the roster deadline is tomorrow, I’m not sure what time. If it’s after 2:00 then it works. Then after that they can place Gambrell on waivers, and he either gets re-claimed by San Jose or the habs get free depth.
pinslack a aimé ceci.
9 oct. 2021 à 19 h 4
Hop on the Slaftrain
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 20,496
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
That might work, although I’m not sure if the timing lines up. They can’t claim him until 2:00 tomorrow, and the roster deadline is tomorrow, I’m not sure what time. If it’s after 2:00 then it works. Then after that they can place Gambrell on waivers, and he either gets re-claimed by San Jose or the habs get free depth.

I think it's 5 pm EST
pinslack et Kotkaniemi15 a aimé ceci.
9 oct. 2021 à 20 h 6
Démarrer sujet
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: SevenLeg
I think it's 5 pm EST

Then that’s perfect.
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
10 oct. 2021 à 1 h 15
Démarrer sujet
Former Hockey Fan

So the order of operations would be:

1. Place Teasdale, Brook, and Norlinder on SOIR.
2. Place Paquette, Edmundson, and Hoffman on IR.
3. Claim Gambrell.
4. Send down Poehling and Primeau.
5. Place Weber, Price, and Byron on LTIR.
— Montréal’s ACSL is $81,213,394 —
6. Place Gambrell on waivers.
7. Send down Guhle.
8. Gambrell is sent down or gets claimed.
9. Call up Poehling.
10. Take Paquette off IR.

And if we wanted to claim or trade for someone else we would need to either send down Poehling or place Belzile/Montembeault on waivers non-roster.

Also, the process of claiming Gambrell gives us an extra $220K in cap flexibility for the rest of the year.
pinslack a aimé ceci.
10 oct. 2021 à 8 h 44

— Montréal’s ACSL is $81,213,394 —

Thanks!

so that's the training camp equation https://www.capfriendly.com/ltir-faq

Even if we put 3 players on LTIR, ACSL would be calculated as soon as the first player is placed on LTIR (most likely first Price to get as close to the cap limit), right?
10 oct. 2021 à 11 h 46
Démarrer sujet
Former Hockey Fan
Thanks!

so that's the training camp equation https://www.capfriendly.com/ltir-faq

Even if we put 3 players on LTIR, ACSL would be calculated as soon as the first player is placed on LTIR (most likely first Price to get as close to the cap limit), right?

The ACSL is calculated by the first player, but off-season LTIR is complicated. Arpon’s proposed roster is $10,970,537 over the cap with no-one on LTIR.

My guess is that Weber & Byron might already be on off-season LTIR, so they are placed on regular LTIR at the exact same time, and the ACSL is calculated then, in which case it would be $81,213,394. Price is placed on LTIR after that, and the ACSL stays the same.

But again these are just guesses based on context and what Arpon is saying, because with Arpon’s roster placing Price on LTIR before Weber/Byron would result in an ACSL above the cap by around $470K, which I don’t think is possible.
pinslack a aimé ceci.
10 oct. 2021 à 11 h 51
Démarrer sujet
Former Hockey Fan
Alex Barré-Boulet is on waivers today…

French-Canadian - ✅
Centre - ✅
Cheap Deal - ✅
Young with Potential - ✅

I don’t see why the habs wouldn’t to it. Plus he has 3 years left on a league minimum deal, so if he works out that could be amazing 2 years down the line.

Although it is unlikely that the habs get him, given that they are near the bottom of the waiver priority list.
A_Habs_fan, KSIxSKULLS et pinslack a aimé ceci.
10 oct. 2021 à 23 h 1
Alex Barré-Boulet is on waivers today…

Centre - ✅

I'm reading he isnt really a center. But he does have a nice potential on offence (so not necessarily a 4th line role)

Brooks from TOR could fit in MTL tho
Kotkaniemi15 a aimé ceci.
10 oct. 2021 à 23 h 7
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,273
I'm reading he isnt really a center. But he does have a nice potential on offence (so not necessarily a 4th line role)

Brooks from TOR could fit in MTL tho

Big chance Montreal claims nobody. Bergevin is probably fine with what he has.
lucal2228 et Kotkaniemi15 a aimé ceci.
11 oct. 2021 à 10 h 33
Big chance Montreal claims nobody. Bergevin is probably fine with what he has.

IDK how he can be fine with Belzile on its roster and with a question mark on 4th line role but yes, we do love to follow waivers but GMs dont seem to care that much
11 oct. 2021 à 10 h 46
WentWughes
IDK how he can be fine with Belzile on its roster and with a question mark on 4th line role but yes, we do love to follow waivers but GMs dont seem to care that much

Belzile is on the 5th line today. I don't think he's a regular 12 guy. He will be one of our healthy scratches.
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
11 oct. 2021 à 11 h 19
Hop on the Slaftrain
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 20,496

11 oct. 2021 à 11 h 44
Démarrer sujet
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: SevenLeg

I’m assuming that Paquette is playing C, and it’s good to see him back. Guhle will probably be sent back to Junior later today or tomorrow. And they might as well send down Poehling and Belzile once Hoffman is back.
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
11 oct. 2021 à 12 h 18
WentWughes

Kotkaniemi15 et A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
11 oct. 2021 à 12 h 18
WentWughes
I’m assuming that Paquette is playing C, and it’s good to see him back. Guhle will probably be sent back to Junior later today or tomorrow. And they might as well send down Poehling and Belzile once Hoffman is back.

Welp you called it seconds before it happened.
11 oct. 2021 à 14 h 3
WentWughes

Looks like we got our 4th line center.
A_Habs_fan et Kotkaniemi15 a aimé ceci.
11 oct. 2021 à 15 h 31
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,386

Looks like we got our 4th line center.

Yep, I guess Poehling will start in the minors/as a healthy scratch
KSIxSKULLS a aimé ceci.
11 oct. 2021 à 16 h 15
Démarrer sujet
Former Hockey Fan
So Poehling is going to Laval to comply with the roster limit. Belzile will likely be there soon.

If we are fully healthy when Edmundson gets back, Niku will probably be sent to Laval. So our healthy lineup probably looks like:

Toffoli - Suzuki - Caufield
Drouin - Dvorak - Anderson
Hoffman - Evans - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Brooks - Armia
Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - Savard
Chiarot - Wideman
Allen
Montembeault

Scratches:
Perreault
Paquette
Kulak
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
11 oct. 2021 à 17 h 47
Démarrer sujet
Former Hockey Fan
So Poehling is on the 23-man opening roster, but Niku isn’t. I guess that means they’re able to place Niku on IR, since he hasn’t been placed on waivers.

Poehling is there for maximizing LTIR, and I guess Niku is technically not fully healthy yet.
A_Habs_fan et pinslack a aimé ceci.
11 oct. 2021 à 17 h 52
Démarrer sujet
Former Hockey Fan
So Montréal’s ACSL is $81,451,370. Price is on LTIR right now, and Weber and Byron will probably be placed on LTIR soon, in which case the ACSL won’t change.
11 oct. 2021 à 18 h 2
Démarrer sujet
Former Hockey Fan
So obviously the salary cap doesn’t even need to be considered while Price is out.

When Price gets back, we’re looking at around $1.3 million in cap flexibility with a 23 man roster and around $2 million on a 22 man roster (which would be the amount we consider when adding a player via trade) and around $2.8 million on a 21 man roster. Those numbers shouldn’t get any lower, since we can run on emergency exceptions if we run into injury troubles. And obviously our cap flexibility would increase if anyone else were to sustain a Long-Term injury.
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
11 oct. 2021 à 20 h 5
I guess Niku is technically not fully healthy yet.

I read that teams are allowed to backdate the assignment of a player to IR but only to the time of the illness or injury.

IR means 7 days out, so Niku in theory cant play until 18 october. Instead, MTL would backdate the injury to 1st October when Niku got injured. By doing this Niku can be on IR for less than 7 days because MTL can legitimately backdate the assignment and prove with medical records his 1st october injury.

source https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/and-now-you-know/2019/10/21/20890160/understanding-ir-and-ltir-for-the-leafs-this-season-toronto-maple-leafs

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage