SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Leafs vs Oilers whos the better team right now

Créé par: RangerWall92
Équipe: 2019-20 Équipe personnalisée
Date de création initiale: 2 juill. 2020
Publié: 2 juill. 2020
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
1181 500 000 $18 352 500 $0 $135 000 $63 147 500 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Oilers d'Edmonton
808 333 $808 333 $ (Bonis de performance32 500 $$32K)
AG, AD
UFA - 2
3 000 000 $3 000 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
1 000 000 $1 000 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 1
Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
737 500 $737 500 $
AG
UFA - 2
700 000 $700 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 1
842 500 $842 500 $ (Bonis de performance82 500 $$82K)
AD
UFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
720 000 $720 000 $ (Bonis de performance20 000 $$20K)
DD
UFA - 1
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
1 900 000 $1 900 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
894 167 $894 167 $
DD
RFA - 4
2 750 000 $2 750 000 $
DD
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
2 juill. 2020 à 19 h 9
Banni
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 7,855
Quoting: kafle22
When did I say they lots of depth. I agree with all the people saying that toronto has better forward depth than edmonton but do I believe they perhaps have the best depth in the league. No

I just think this whole post shows how silly this site is, Edmonton gets praised on this thread for having a better defence but there is zero evidence to support that. People say they have a comparable depth, they do not, its ridiculous to even suggest that. Edmonton had a better PK, that is something that is true but come playoff times, when the refs put away their whistles, whats going to happen when PP chances go away and you get caved in at 5v5, which is exactly what Edmonton saw for their entire season. Even McDavid and Draisailt were negative at 5v5. They are terrific players, McDavid is the best there is but apart from a small group of others on the team, they are barely NHLers.
2 juill. 2020 à 19 h 9
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,176
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
He wasn't even right about that. Johsson played much of the first half next to Matthews and Nylander and when Keefe took over Johnsson got hurt and Matthews was moved to play with Marner and Hyman. Nylander and Soupman played with JT and Kerfoot was playing with Kapanen and Johnsson before Kap and Mongo collided and Johnsson hurt his knee. Either way right now, Johnsson would 100% be on the 3rd line next to Kerfoot and Kapanen. That is a fact that would not be disputed if he was healthy. With all that said, you are right, Kerfoot, Kap and Johnsson is lightyears better than Sheehan, Archibald and Ennis or whoever is on that line. I really get a kick out of these Oiler fans saying Ennis is better than the Leafs 3rd line. I wonder if they realize he was a Leaf last year and was a 4th liner and sometimes a healthy scratch, so good he couldn't crack the top 9.

I literally sat here for 3 minutes trying to figure out who soupman was lmao
2 juill. 2020 à 19 h 10
Banni
Quoting: SlickWilly
I literally sat here for 3 minutes trying to figure out who soupman was lmao

Mikheyev, he loves his soup.
2 juill. 2020 à 19 h 11
Rejoint: juin 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 6,980
Quoting: Bf3351
"It will happen" hasn't happened yet and the likelyhood of it happening in this playoff run sounds pretty low to me. They can reassess there bottom 6 next season if needed.

it hasn't happened because they've only been in the playoffs once lol. this Edmonton team is not built to win a cup. Depth is crucial and they lack it
2 juill. 2020 à 19 h 11
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,176
Mikheyev, he loves his soup.

Oh yeah haha I remember the video now
2 juill. 2020 à 19 h 16
Banni
Mentions "j'aime": 2,805
Quoting: mhockey91
it hasn't happened because they've only been in the playoffs once lol. this Edmonton team is not built to win a cup. Depth is crucial and they lack it

They are built to beat the Leafs, I know that.

I told my dad there was no way the Oilers would turn it around in 1 year even after the Holland and Tippet signings. I was incredibly mistaken.

You underestimate the Oilers a lot. Just like for whatever reason the Leafs and there fans underestimate the Bruins even after losing to them in the 1st round for the last 2 or 3 years.
CD282 a aimé ceci.
2 juill. 2020 à 19 h 29
Banni
Quoting: Bf3351
They are built to beat the Leafs, I know that.

I told my dad there was no way the Oilers would turn it around in 1 year even after the Holland and Tippet signings. I was incredibly mistaken.

You underestimate the Oilers a lot. Just like for whatever reason the Leafs and there fans underestimate the Bruins even after losing to them in the 1st round for the last 2 or 3 years.

You are just so off base.
mhockey91 a aimé ceci.
2 juill. 2020 à 20 h 19
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 7,771
because my lines were wrong ohhhh no... I must know nothing about hockey then since I couldn't tell you Torontos exact line combos when im not even a fan. clown

laugh

You were literally arguing about which lines were better when you didn't even know what the lines were!

laugh
2 juill. 2020 à 20 h 21
I just think this whole post shows how silly this site is, Edmonton gets praised on this thread for having a better defence but there is zero evidence to support that. People say they have a comparable depth, they do not, its ridiculous to even suggest that. Edmonton had a better PK, that is something that is true but come playoff times, when the refs put away their whistles, whats going to happen when PP chances go away and you get caved in at 5v5, which is exactly what Edmonton saw for their entire season. Even McDavid and Draisailt were negative at 5v5. They are terrific players, McDavid is the best there is but apart from a small group of others on the team, they are barely NHLers.

Edmonton allowed fewer goals than Toronto in the regular season.

The refs don't "put away their whistles". If you look at the past few years, PP opportunities actually went UP in thales playoffs.
2 juill. 2020 à 20 h 32
Simpleton
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 502
Edmonton played in the worst division in hockey and still was only an average team. Make them play the majority of their games against better teams and they are done.

This past season the Oilers were 17-7-3 against the Eastern Conference. That includes a season split with Boston (1-0-1), a split with Pittsburgh (1-1-0), wins over Washington and Philadelphia, and a very close loss to Tampa Bay, in which the Lightning scored an empty net goal. Those are the top five teams in the Eastern Conference. Edmonton dominated Washington in their single game, out-shooting the Capitals 40-28, they also embarrassed Boston in Boston, and should really have won the game in Tampa. The only game against the top Eastern Conference teams in which the Oilers were outclassed was a 5-2 loss to Pittsburgh, during the middle of Edmonton's December slump. By the way, they split the season series with the Leafs, and Toronto's win happened during Edmonton's slump, just six days before that Pittsburgh loss.
2 juill. 2020 à 20 h 45
Rejoint: juin 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 6,980
Quoting: CD282
laugh

You were literally arguing about which lines were better when you didn't even know what the lines were!

laugh

Whether it’s Johnsson or Miykayev on the third line for the leafs, it’s still miles better than Edmonton’s.
2 juill. 2020 à 20 h 47
Banni
Quoting: uphere
This past season the Oilers were 17-7-3 against the Eastern Conference. That includes a season split with Boston (1-0-1), a split with Pittsburgh (1-1-0), wins over Washington and Philadelphia, and a very close loss to Tampa Bay, in which the Lightning scored an empty net goal. Those are the top five teams in the Eastern Conference. Edmonton dominated Washington in their single game, out-shooting the Capitals 40-28, they also embarrassed Boston in Boston, and should really have won the game in Tampa. The only game against the top Eastern Conference teams in which the Oilers were outclassed was a 5-2 loss to Pittsburgh, during the middle of Edmonton's December slump. By the way, they split the season series with the Leafs, and Toronto's win happened during Edmonton's slump, just six days before that Pittsburgh loss.

And yet they were a negative team at 5v5. Edmonton is a massively flawed team.
3 juill. 2020 à 8 h 11

The close loss you refer to in Tampa was a game that McDavid didn't play in due to injury.
3 juill. 2020 à 8 h 14

And yet they put together a better record than the Leafs. And before you blame Babcock, the Oilers were much better in the 2nd half of the season, posting to 6th best winning percentage in the league vs 19th for the Leafs.

Not bad for a "massively flawed" team...
3 juill. 2020 à 8 h 50
Whether it’s Johnsson or Miykayev on the third line for the leafs, it’s still miles better than Edmonton’s.

And I never said it wasn't. I said that Toronto's 2nd line wasn't as good as Edmonton's.

EDM: 5.29 GF/60 - 1.51 GA/60 = +3.78 GD/60
TOR: 3.07 GF/60 - 3.07 GA/60 = 0.00 GD/60

(Based on Nugent-Hopkins, Draisaitl and Yamamoto for Edmonton, Kerfoot, Tavares and Nylander for Toronto. Both lines were put together in late 2019 and played together mostly in 2020.)

That Edmonton line was the best in the NHL this year by goal differential. Tampa's line of Stamkos, Point and Kucherov was a close 2nd.
3 juill. 2020 à 13 h 21
Simpleton
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 502

I think you are avoiding the fact that your assumption that Edmonton benefits from playing in the Pacific Division does not hold up against their record, and that you are overstating your position in an effort to try and convince yourself that you are correct. Louder voices do not necessarily speak the truth.

The Oilers have flaws, as does every team in the league. They ended the shortened with a negative team 5v5, in large part due to their record between November 27 and December 27. During that period they managed a 4-11 record and were -26 at 5v5, and allowed 4 short handed goals against. To some degree they missed RNH, who was injured during part of that slump, but for the most part they had very poor goaltending, shoddy team defense, and a general lack of energy. That one month hides the fact that they were a top 5 team in the league through October and November, as well as January to the close of the season. They didn't accomplish that simply because they played in the Pacific Division, in fact their record against the top Eastern Conference teams is better than their record against teams in their own division. Truly effective analytics reflect the story behind the numbers, not just the numbers. That's important because good teams struggle sometimes. If you don't believe that, consider our current Stanley Cup Champions, and the season they endured prior to winning the Cup.

Now which team is better, Toronto or Edmonton? Any answer is conjecture, since these teams have been forced to use different philosophies in roster development because of different circumstances. I would say Toronto appears to have more depth among its forwards, but that may be a mute point since Edmonton has two forwards that are quite literally capable of winning games on their own. Certainly Edmonton would benefit from a better bottom six, but they are quite competitive with the forwards they have. Just like Edmonton could use improvement on its third line in particular, Toronto needs improvement among its top 4 defenders. Edmonton doesn't have an all-world defense, but when Klefbom is healthy, Larsson and Nurse are on their games, and with the emergence of Ethan Bear and Caleb Jones, the Oilers are actually quite good on the blue line, and they are only going to get better over the next couple of seasons. Toronto needs a few stronger pieces now, but the team is very competitive despite that need; they are one of the few teams in the league capable of simply outscoring most opponents on a regular basis... Edmonton might be one of the others capable of the same.

Frankly, I think these two teams have contrasting strengths and weaknesses but right now are surprisingly even in terms of competitiveness against the rest of the league. They finished with very similar records, split their season series, and are capable of playing a very exciting brand of hockey. Both have some salary cap pressure to deal with and yet have enough organizational depth in key spots to ensure they emerge from the expansion draft in good shape. They are likely to be compared against one another for a few more seasons, and it will be interesting to see how they manage to improve and become legitimate Cup contenders during that time.
3 juill. 2020 à 14 h 1
Banni
I think you are avoiding the fact that your assumption that Edmonton benefits from playing in the Pacific Division does not hold up against their record, and that you are overstating your position in an effort to try and convince yourself that you are correct. Louder voices do not necessarily speak the truth.

The Oilers have flaws, as does every team in the league. They ended the shortened with a negative team 5v5, in large part due to their record between November 27 and December 27. During that period they managed a 4-11 record and were -26 at 5v5, and allowed 4 short handed goals against. To some degree they missed RNH, who was injured during part of that slump, but for the most part they had very poor goaltending, shoddy team defense, and a general lack of energy. That one month hides the fact that they were a top 5 team in the league through October and November, as well as January to the close of the season. They didn't accomplish that simply because they played in the Pacific Division, in fact their record against the top Eastern Conference teams is better than their record against teams in their own division. Truly effective analytics reflect the story behind the numbers, not just the numbers. That's important because good teams struggle sometimes. If you don't believe that, consider our current Stanley Cup Champions, and the season they endured prior to winning the Cup.

Now which team is better, Toronto or Edmonton? Any answer is conjecture, since these teams have been forced to use different philosophies in roster development because of different circumstances. I would say Toronto appears to have more depth among its forwards, but that may be a mute point since Edmonton has two forwards that are quite literally capable of winning games on their own. Certainly Edmonton would benefit from a better bottom six, but they are quite competitive with the forwards they have. Just like Edmonton could use improvement on its third line in particular, Toronto needs improvement among its top 4 defenders. Edmonton doesn't have an all-world defense, but when Klefbom is healthy, Larsson and Nurse are on their games, and with the emergence of Ethan Bear and Caleb Jones, the Oilers are actually quite good on the blue line, and they are only going to get better over the next couple of seasons. Toronto needs a few stronger pieces now, but the team is very competitive despite that need; they are one of the few teams in the league capable of simply outscoring most opponents on a regular basis... Edmonton might be one of the others capable of the same.

Frankly, I think these two teams have contrasting strengths and weaknesses but right now are surprisingly even in terms of competitiveness against the rest of the league. They finished with very similar records, split their season series, and are capable of playing a very exciting brand of hockey. Both have some salary cap pressure to deal with and yet have enough organizational depth in key spots to ensure they emerge from the expansion draft in good shape. They are likely to be compared against one another for a few more seasons, and it will be interesting to see how they manage to improve and become legitimate Cup contenders during that time.

I will say your assessment of the Oilers is fair but definitely comes with a bias. In the first 2 months they consistently were out shot, out chanced and relied on above average goaltending. Most advanced stats showed a regression was coming and it did. RNH was injured sure. All that does affect a team. However, does that not hold true on the other side of the fence? Lets talk about injuries. Hyman and Dermott missed the first 2 months of the season. JT missed 9 games, Johnsson missed half the season, Marner missed a month, Mikheyev missed over a month, Kerfoot missed games. That is just the forwards, 4 top 6 forwards missed significant time for TO. (Dermott is a defenceman) As for the defence, Rielly and Muzzin both were out for a long stretch, that is our two best defenders. At one point the shutdown pair was Holl and Marincin. No one is going to succeed with that scenario. Couple that with an unusual slide from Andersen during that time and it compounds the defensive issues. And all of that without even mentioning Hutchinson who was a dismal backup. In 15 games for the Leafs he allowed almost 4 goals a game and had a sv% of .886. Many will say it was the Leafs defence hanging him out to dry but then explain Campbell's numbers? 2.63 GAA and a SV% of .915 while playing without Muzzin and Rielly for many of his starts?

This whole thread seems to be filled with comments that excuse any deficiency from the Oilers team, of which there are many. But the same excuses are not allowable for the other side of the argument.

You seem like a very reasonable person and I appreciate the discussion. I will say I am an Oilers fan from a distance, I want them to be good, I like some of their players but their organization has been extremely poorly run for a long time. Holland may or may not be the right guy to right the ship, still seems like the old boys club to me but we'll see. Its not fair to judge him to hard yet. Here is my assessment of both rosters though. As objectively as I can be.

Edmonton has the best player in the world in McDavid, what he is capable of doing offensively is unmatched by anyone. Draisaitl in his own right is also an elite player and they are magic together. One thing they are not however is great defensively. They aren't bad but they certainly aren't good and if you keep the puck away from them, their effectiveness can be limited. The teams depth is very substandard, their bottom 6 is filled with 4th liners or bubble players. I am not really a fan of their defence either. I think Klefbom is terrific and I do like Bear's game but beyond that I don't see a unit that is going to be very good against teams that are strong at 5v5. Their special teams were terrific this year and I doubt their PP will regress but their PK absolutely could and if they were even middle of the pack they would have been out of the playoffs I'd wager. Koskinen looks solid but I am not sold on him yet and Smith really isn't that great. They have so many question marks on their roster and rely so much on McDavid and Draisaitl that I just can't see them having a chance if they get slowed down. From a playoffs perspective, what happens if you play a deep team? Star players often come out even against other stars or plus or minus a couple, but if McDavid and Draisailt are even, can you really count on Sheehan to be a difference maker against an actual 3rd liner?

My point is Edmonton isn't there yet, and they need to figure out a lot of things before they can really be considered a contender.

On TO.

First things first I think it needs to be said they are still extremely young. They were the 4th or 5th youngest team in the league and if you take Spezza out they get even younger. They are still learning how to play. I think Babs was the wrong coach for that since he plays favourites and just grinds young guys to death. I am happy he got fired, his system didn't work, his philosophies were antiquated and he alienated his players. I wish he would have been fired after the playoffs last year, honestly who plays Marleau more than Matthews when you are down a goal at home in game 6 when you have a chance to eliminate Boston. This years team suffered terrible injuries all season. They were no healthy once, and many of those injuries were important players like JT, Marner, Muzzin and Rielly. Andersen as well missed a few games with a neck injury. Many people like to use the season as a whole to judge the franchise but its sort of ridiculous to do so. Since Keefe took over, they have something like the 5th best record in the league. Babs put them in a hole, as did Hutchinson. In hindsight, the Kadri trade may not have been the best but I think it could still turn out alright as I think Kerfoot will rebound. Defensively TO's problem under all of Bab's tenure was a systematic thing. He wanted everyone to pressure everywhere and play a hard man to man style, like a full court press. Sometimes it created turnovers but in their zone it almost always led to grade A chances in front when a forward failed to pick up a guy rotated into the slot. Under Keefe, its all about possession when you have it and when you don't you swarm the front of your own net and limit high danger chances. Had they not had so many injuries in the second half I think many people wouldn't have the same ammo they have now.

Look at the teams on paper, Edmonton has the best player and their top 6 is certainly extremely good, however, TO just has more firepower everywhere else. Defensively, TO is more mobile and has a lot of talent coming in, I'd give the Leafs the edge there as well. I am really not a fan of Larsson or Russell and I think Nurse is a tad overrated. Kelfbom is terrific but Rielly and Muzzin I think are much better and equal to.

I really hope Edmonton manages to turn it around and fix their problems because watching a Leafs Oilers final would be awesome.
mhockey91 a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage