Forums/Armchair-GM

Muzzin huh Is it a coincidence that

Créé par: Juice
Équipe: 2018-19 Maple Leafs de Toronto
Date de création initiale: 28 janv. 2019
Publié: 28 janv. 2019
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
....this trade occurred not too long after both Dubas and Matthews made public comments about contract extensions?

All the insiders seem to think that Matthews' camp is pushing for a 5yr contract. One would have to imagine that comes in at a lower figure than the $12m + most were anticipating on an 8yr deal.

Does Matthews take $10m on a 5yr term? Would Marner take $8m over the same term? If so, fitting $4m for Muzzin makes much more sense.

Other scenario....would they trade Gardiner out to recoup assets they traded away for Muzzin? They'd still be lacking RH depth but giving those assets up for left-shooting Muzzin seemed like an odd move regardless.
Rachats de contrats
Transactions impliquant une retenue de salaire
Enfoui
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de STL
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de DAL
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de EDM
Logo de SJS
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2279 500 000 $80 236 111 $2 550 000 $5 400 000 $-736 111 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
787 500 $787 500 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
11 000 000 $11 000 000 $
C, AG
NMC
UFA - 7
894 167 $894 167 $ (Bonis de performance850 000 $$850K)
AD
UFA - 1
2 250 000 $2 250 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 3
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance2 850 000 $$3M)
C
UFA - 1
10 277 778 $10 277 778 $
AD
UFA - 6
6 250 000 $6 250 000 $
AG, C
NMC
UFA - 2
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
863 333 $863 333 $
AD
UFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance850 000 $$850K)
AG, C
UFA - 1
675 000 $675 000 $
C
UFA - 2
2 100 000 $2 100 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 2
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG
UFA - 4
4 000 000 $4 000 000 $
DG
UFA - 2
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
4 050 000 $4 050 000 $
DG
UFA - 1
3 000 000 $3 000 000 $
DD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
675 000 $675 000 $
G
UFA - 1
863 333 $863 333 $
DG/DD
UFA - 2
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
DD
UFA - 6
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance850 000 $$850K)
DD
UFA - 1
650 000 $650 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
800 000 $800 000 $
DG
UFA - 1
5 300 000 $5 300 000 $
AD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
28 janv. 2019 à 20 h 38
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 6,372
I don't think there's any way the Leafs give Matthews a 5 year deal. That makes him a UFA when he's age 26.
28 janv. 2019 à 20 h 42
Rejoint: avr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,161
Quoting: tkecanuck341
I don't think there's any way the Leafs give Matthews a 5 year deal. That makes him a UFA when he's age 26.

Conversely, I don't think Matthews and his agent agree to a 6 years. Bottom line, Matthews and his agent know the kid should be paid $12M now and TOR knows this too. Team friendly may mean a shorter term but that will also mean a 3 to 5 year deal so he can get another max deal before he turns 27. Either way, Leafs can't afford another Nylander situation with their star and face of the franchise.
28 janv. 2019 à 20 h 44
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: avr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 1,512
Well. 4 years is the number you always want to avoid....5 is the next least desirable. But it sounds like their agents want to make sure they'll be able to cash in on one more big contract while still in their mid-20s.

Keep in mind....you only get to free agency if you don't re-sign....giving a 5 year contract...while not ideal...doesn't mean the Leafs wouldn't re-up with them again...it just means that contract will almost certainly be at a much higher cap hit than if you just did an 8yr term now.
28 janv. 2019 à 21 h 1
Quoting: Juice
Well. 4 years is the number you always want to avoid....5 is the next least desirable. But it sounds like their agents want to make sure they'll be able to cash in on one more big contract while still in their mid-20s.

Keep in mind....you only get to free agency if you don't re-sign....giving a 5 year contract...while not ideal...doesn't mean the Leafs wouldn't re-up with them again...it just means that contract will almost certainly be at a much higher cap hit than if you just did an 8yr term now.

4 years at least means that he'd still be rights restricted when his next contract ends. If for some reason Matthews did hold out until free agency after that, Toronto would still have the right to match. With 5 years, if he decides he doesn't want to stay, Leafs could potentially have a Tavares situation on their hands.
28 janv. 2019 à 21 h 5
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: tkecanuck341
4 years at least means that he'd still be rights restricted when his next contract ends. If for some reason Matthews did hold out until free agency after that, Toronto would still have the right to match. With 5 years, if he decides he doesn't want to stay, Leafs could potentially have a Tavares situation on their hands.

Player is eligible after 7 years playing pro, no? So he'll have his 3 years of ELC...if he signs a 4 year deal...that walks him straight into free agency. 5 years at least buys 1 year of UFA.
28 janv. 2019 à 21 h 7
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,540
I think the tea leaves are starting to settle. Lots of rumblings that Matthews contract negoiations are coming along, and with some clarity on that the other rfa's must become a bit more predictable.. think you're right, Juice... either they know Matthews is coming with less term and less of a cap hit, or there are more moves to come. Otherwise it's hard to figure how Muzzin fits.

But I do like the trade! and it makes me think the leafs are making a push this year.. so, my thoughts that it would be minor moves this year and they'd be patient was wrong.. i was wrong. again. but I'm ok with that
Juice a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2019 à 21 h 11
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: blowing_the_zone
I think the tea leaves are starting to settle. Lots of rumblings that Matthews contract negoiations are coming along, and with some clarity on that the other rfa's must become a bit more predictable.. think you're right, Juice... either they know Matthews is coming with less term and less of a cap hit, or there are more moves to come. Otherwise it's hard to figure how Muzzin fits.

But I do like the trade! and it makes me think the leafs are making a push this year.. so, my thoughts that it would be minor moves this year and they'd be patient was wrong.. i was wrong. again. but I'm ok with that

Absolutely...hard not to like adding Muzzin at the price we did. I think the Kings did well in the deal too...but Muzzin is a great add....it's just trying to make sense of how it'll fit that is stimulating the conversation for me now.

I'm not ruling out the possibility that Marleau has already told them he plans to retire and the leafs feel they can trade his contract to a team looking to reach the cap floor next season. I don't think that's probable...but something had to have given Dubas the confidence to add $4m now
blowing_the_zone a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2019 à 21 h 17
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,416
Modifié 28 janv. 2019 à 21 h 22
$12 million for a guy who hasn't won a major NHL title yet? Marner will out point Matthews 2 out of 3 seasons yet Matthews get the elite superstar treatment? I'd say the fair option is the Kane-Toews comparable. 6.3 million on 5 years than 10.5 million on 8 years. Someone do the math to convert those numbers to today's value. Nevermind the website says 11 % on the 5 year deal and 15% on the 8 year deals.
28 janv. 2019 à 21 h 19
Mentions "j'aime": 1,540
Absolutely...hard not to like adding Muzzin at the price we did. I think the Kings did well in the deal too...but Muzzin is a great add....it's just trying to make sense of how it'll fit that is stimulating the conversation for me now.

I'm not ruling out the possibility that Marleau has already told them he plans to retire and the leafs feel they can trade his contract to a team looking to reach the cap floor next season. I don't think that's probable...but something had to have given Dubas the confidence to add $4m now

Agreed. Something mighta been said with a handshake that Marleau has ideas to retire, and it makes sense with how his contract is structured. Or salary is getting shipped out with another trade before the deadline.. maybe Z? Maybe there is a buyer for Horton somewhere with some other incentives thrown in?? Either way, tading for Muzzin and his $4M for a year and a half doesn't work unless one or more of the big rfas are taking less term or money moves off the cap for next year. The second half of the season is always more fun..
28 janv. 2019 à 21 h 20
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 23,607
Juice is right....for Matthews he's after 4 years. Also a 5 year offer sheet is next summer is about 10.5m....which is 2 first, a second and a third on five year contract. That's Matthews' leverage in negotiations .
28 janv. 2019 à 22 h 18
Player is eligible after 7 years playing pro, no? So he'll have his 3 years of ELC...if he signs a 4 year deal...that walks him straight into free agency. 5 years at least buys 1 year of UFA.

You're correct. I miscounted.
Juice a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2019 à 22 h 27
Mentions "j'aime": 301
Honestly, I saw this first on the NHL and my first thought was that this website would be overloaded with Leafs ACGM teams. My second thought was that Dubas knows something that we don’t. Which means A, he has found a potential suitor for Zaitsev, or B, Matthews has been very cooperative with contract negotiations. I think this means that Matthews is asking for shorter term, and a 9.5-10.5 million deal. I don’t really like the term for the Leafs, but it helps them be contenders over this year and next. Something tells me that Tampa is the next team to make a move. And maybe Boston too. Not sure what I think of you guys losing Durzi and Grundstrom. Durzi is your second best RHD prospect and Grundstrom is your best LW prospect. Those are the two areas that will be comparatively “thin” in the future. Personally would’ve wanted Hollowell, Marchment, Engvall, or Moore, but that’s ok. Muzzin looks like he’s worth it and I’ve learned to trust Dubas.
28 janv. 2019 à 22 h 32
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: NucksFanForLife
Honestly, I saw this first on the NHL and my first thought was that this website would be overloaded with Leafs ACGM teams. My second thought was that Dubas knows something that we don’t. Which means A, he has found a potential suitor for Zaitsev, or B, Matthews has been very cooperative with contract negotiations. I think this means that Matthews is asking for shorter term, and a 9.5-10.5 million deal. I don’t really like the term for the Leafs, but it helps them be contenders over this year and next. Something tells me that Tampa is the next team to make a move. And maybe Boston too. Not sure what I think of you guys losing Durzi and Grundstrom. Durzi is your second best RHD prospect and Grundstrom is your best LW prospect. Those are the two areas that will be comparatively “thin” in the future. Personally would’ve wanted Hollowell, Marchment, Engvall, or Moore, but that’s ok. Muzzin looks like he’s worth it and I’ve learned to trust Dubas.

I think you’re spot on. Something must have happened that gave Dubas the confidence he could make it all work. The timing, that it comes so close after the latest round of talks with Matthews...might be directly related. Or he’s just convinced it won’t be hard to move pieces in the offseason...but he must have gained some sort of knowledge that allowed him to pull the trigger now.
NucksFanForLife a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage