Forums/Armchair-GM

Toronto Maple Leafs 2024-25

Créé par: bg77
Équipe: 2024-25 Maple Leafs de Toronto
Date de création initiale: 1 sept. 2023
Publié: 3 sept. 2023
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
Here is my idea for how the Leafs could potentially construct their lineup next summer. There are obviously going to be moving parts between now and then, this is simply using what we know now and what I would personally like to see happen.

- Extending William Nylander

I would give William Nylander 8 yrs at $9,500,000 AAV. Basically meeting in the middle of where Nylander's camp and Toronto's camp are presently at if reports are believed. I won't dive to deep into this as I'm sure everyone is aware of the context. I would be content with Nylander at this number.

- Trade for Devon Toews

Colorado is going to be put in a tough position come this time next year. Devon Toews will be looking for a new deal, with Mikko Rantanen and Cale Makar one year away from unrestricted free agency. Bowen Byram will also be one year away from having arbitration rights as a restricted free agent. Devon Toews is a fantastic player, but I do wonder if Toews will be forced out of town in an effort to retain these players who will have more years ahead of them due to their age. Should Bowen Byram stay mostly healthy for the duration of his current two year bridge deal, he could command 7-8 million on a long term contract. I think Devon Toews will be enticed by the opportunity to get a max term contract, as he will be 30 at this point and has never had more than a 4 year deal, the deal which he is currently on making $4,100,000 AAV. Colorado may see the writing on the wall, and be willing to consider flipping Toews a week before July 1st to add a mid-round draft pick to their arsenal. New Jersey did this in June with Damon Severson, when it was clear they were not going to come to terms with him, and Columbus took full advantage.

The Leafs on the other hand have a great opportunity here. This is all considering that the William Nylander situation is clear before the draft next year, which it should be. Toronto could use another quality top-four defenseman, and Devon Toews checks a lot of the boxes that we would be looking for. Good mobility, effective both offensively and defensively. I also noticed that Toews last season was 38th in the league in blocked shots last season, while averaging over 25 minutes per night and collecting just under 100 hits.

If I'm Toronto, I would make a trade leading up to the July 1st free agency opening to get a head start with signing Devon Toews and here is why. Let's consider again that Toews has never had longer than a 4 year deal, so we already know he is going to be looking for that security. At 30, a 7 year deal, which is the max-term for teams on the open market, would take him to 37 years old. There is certainly some risk here, but Devon Toews' is a great skater, and this usually is a plus when considering if a player can make it deep into their 30's in the NHL. Now theoretically, let's say he is offered a 7 year deal at $9,000,000 AAV, this is what Toronto will likely be competing with. If Toronto acquires his rights leading up to the free agency period, we then are able to sign him to an 8 year deal rather than 7. If the Leafs offer Devon Toews a contract for 8 years, $8,250,000 AAV, this could be enticing for many reasons. The main reason being that when comparing to even a 7 year $9,000,000 contract he could receive on the open market, Toews would be taking home $3,000,000 more dollars over the body of the Leafs contract structure (7 yr $63,000,000 vs. 8 yr $66,000,000). Will Toews want to make the gamble that once a 7 year deal expires at 37, he will be able to attain a $3,000,000+ contract to outclass the Leafs offer? Toronto will send to Colorado a 2025 3rd Rd Pick, just as Columbus sent a 3rd round pick for Severson's rights this summer. I also think it is important for Toronto to keep as many picks in the 2024 draft as possible. We currently have 8 selections, including our own 1st round pick, which likely will not be traded at the deadline given the cap constraints that Toronto is currently facing in the 2023-24 season.

- Re-sign Tyler Bertuzzi

In the case of Tyler Bertuzzi, I am sure most fans will be wary of extended a player of his style to an 8 year, $5,625,000 AAV contract, with the main concern being injury history. My mindset is simply if Bertuzzi plays well for us in the top-six and puts up potentially career highs in points, I think it would be ideal to establish familiarity by signing him long-term. Toronto has already seen left wingers such as Zach Hyman, Ilya Mikheyev, and Michael Bunting walk over the last 3 seasons, and I could definitely see a world where Tyler Bertuzzi proves to have the best season of all these players on Auston Matthews' wing. Similar to my point with Devon Toews, Toronto could potentially keep Bertuzzi's AAV lower by guaranteeing him that max-term deal. I could easily see a team offer him north of $6,000,000 should he stay relatively healthy and eclipse his career highs, but definitely not at the term Toronto would be offering him. I think the contract and term I have offered would convince him to stay, and since the Leafs are in "win-now mode", I think we should be happy to take a risk to keep a quality top-six forward with Bertuzzi's profile around. Should his play decline in the final years of his deal, worst case scenario he is either traded with a 1st rounder tied to him similar to Marleau, or placed on LTIR due to injuries. If the Leafs are challenging for a Stanley Cup at this point, I believe this is something most fans will overlook.

- Re-sign Max Domi

Max Domi was born to be a Toronto Maple Leaf at some point, and I am relatively convinced that he is going to be an integral piece to this Leafs team should they have success in the playoffs this year. Domi has never had longer than a 2-year deal, and I believe that he would be convinced to stay with a contract for 4 yrs at $4,000,000 AAV. The guaranteed money through his prime years would be a huge plus. What I like about Domi is theoretically he could play on any of the Leafs four lines, and honestly as John Tavares gets older, Max Domi being around would allow Toronto to slide John Tavares to the wing and play Domi at second-line centre. This versatility is primarily what makes Max Domi an appealing candidate for a contract extension.

- Sign Marc-Andre Fleury

Signing Marc-Andre Fleury is contingent on Joseph Woll stepping up this season as a capable 1A/1B starting goaltender. Should this happen, I think Toronto will be content to walk-away from signing Ilya Samsonov long-term and turn to other options for platoon duty with Joseph Woll. Marc-Andre Fleury is a future hall-of-famer, who would be 39 years old at the time we sign him. It would be a priceless experience for Woll to learn day-to-day from a goalie like Fleury, and I think Fleury to this point still sees himself as an NHL goalie capable of playing north of 30 games. His age and probable price range make him my favourite candidate for Toronto to sign in net next season.

- Extend Nick Robertson and Simon Benoit

I believe given the Leafs cap situation in the present upcoming year, Nick Robertson will likely play the majority of the season with the Toronto Marlies, and be re-called to the Leafs should injuries occur and he is producing in the AHL. This is the right move to me, given his own struggles with injuries, I think first-line minutes in the minors will help Nick Robertson rebuild his confidence. I would offer Nick Robertson a 1-way, 2 yr deal at $1,100,000 AAV next summer. Unless Nick Robertson plays 10 or more NHL games this season, he will not have arbitration rights. Even if he were to get arbitration rights, the Leafs would have the advantage as Robertson has been unable to play full seasons since turning professional. Rather than giving Robertson a 1 yr deal, the 2 yr deal allows the Leafs to guarantee a lower cap-hit in the second year, while providing Robertson the comfort of guaranteed money. I used Conor Timmins contract as the reference point, as he accepted the same deal after battling injuries like Robertson early in his career. Both are players with interesting potential should they stay healthy and I think Timmins is a good comparable.

Simon Benoit is a player I find intriguing. He will likely start the current season with the Toronto Marlies and have the opportunity to be recalled to the Leafs should injuries occur. Given that he is a restricted free agent after this year, I would also offer him a 1-way, 2 yr deal at $850,000 AAV. Benoit showed in Anaheim that he was capable of playing 18-19 minutes per night at the NHL level, and was top 25 in hits. Interesting profile and something the Leafs could find useful on a cheap contract as the years go on.

Please let me know what you think in the comment section below. I am open to both positive and constructive feedback!
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
RFAANSCAP HIT
12 800 000 $
21 100 000 $
2850 000 $
UFAANSCAP HIT
89 500 000 $
88 250 000 $
85 625 000 $
44 000 000 $
11 250 000 $
Transactions
TOR
    1. Devon Toews (UFA)

Toronto acquires the rights to defenseman Devon Toews, who is on a deal which expires July 1st, 2024.

Toronto signs Devon Toews to an 8 year, $66,000,000 contract extension. The contract holds an average annual value of $8,250,000.
    COL
    1. Choix de 3e ronde en 2025 (TOR)
    Enfoui
    Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
    Logo de TOR
    Logo de NYI
    Logo de TOR
    Logo de TOR
    Logo de CHI
    Logo de TOR
    Logo de TOR
    Logo de OTT
    Logo de TOR
    Logo de CHI
    Logo de TOR
    Logo de TOR
    Logo de TOR
    Logo de TOR
    Logo de TOR
    Logo de TOR
    Logo de TOR
    Logo de TOR
    TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
    2087 500 000 $87 476 334 $0 $0 $23 666 $

Formation

Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
    Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
    5 625 000 $5 625 000 $
    AG, AD
    UFA
    13 250 000 $13 250 000 $
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    9 500 000 $9 500 000 $
    AD
    UFA - 8
    4 000 000 $4 000 000 $
    C, AD
    UFA
    11 000 000 $11 000 000 $
    C, AG
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    10 903 000 $10 903 000 $
    AD
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    925 000 $925 000 $
    AG, AD
    RFA - 1
    2 400 000 $2 400 000 $
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    2 100 000 $2 100 000 $
    AD, C, AG
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    1 100 000 $1 100 000 $
    AG, AD
    RFA
    800 000 $800 000 $
    C, AG
    RFA - 1
    1 350 000 $1 350 000 $
    AD
    UFA - 2
    Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
    8 250 000 $8 250 000 $
    DG
    UFA - 7
    1 100 000 $1 100 000 $
    DD
    RFA - 1
    766 667 $766 667 $
    G
    RFA - 1
    7 500 000 $7 500 000 $
    DG
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    2 800 000 $2 800 000 $
    DD
    RFA
    1 250 000 $1 250 000 $
    G
    UFA - 1
    2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
    DG/DD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    856 667 $856 667 $
    DD
    RFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
    • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
    3 sept. 2023 à 13 h 32
    Rejoint: févr. 2020
    Mentions "j'aime": 2,481
    Toews is would be a pending ufa so he cant get 8 years anywhere other than Colorado unless he's moves before the tdl or december. There's a cut off date somewhere

At 8.25, I think the Avs keep him. Giving him the 8th year will likely save the Avs a millie
    3 sept. 2023 à 13 h 39
    Rejoint: juill. 2021
    Mentions "j'aime": 1,096
    Quoting: MeetYourMakar
    Toews is would be a pending ufa so he cant get 8 years anywhere other than Colorado unless he's moves before the tdl or december. There's a cut off date somewhere

At 8.25, I think the Avs keep him. Giving him the 8th year will likely save the Avs a millie

I just don't know if our front office is in the business of giving term to guys who will be past 35 when that deal expires. I have no clue how the Toews stuff is gonna turn out if I'm honest.
    bg77 a aimé ceci.
    3 sept. 2023 à 13 h 44
    FKA Bigtittielarper
    Rejoint: juin 2020
    Mentions "j'aime": 2,226
    Yeah I’d do that
    bg77 a aimé ceci.
    3 sept. 2023 à 13 h 45
    Bedard23
    Rejoint: mai 2021
    Mentions "j'aime": 4,478
    Quoting: Avsfantrumpetman
    I just don't know if our front office is in the business of giving term to guys who will be past 35 when that deal expires. I have no clue how the Toews stuff is gonna turn out if I'm honest.

I’m guessing you’ve never heard of Nathan MacKinnion
    HockeyManiac95 et MeetYourMakar a aimé ceci.
    3 sept. 2023 à 13 h 56
    Jason Zucker Smile
    Rejoint: juin 2023
    Mentions "j'aime": 118
    I can see Toronto re-signing both Bertuzzi and Domi.

I like Toews, but this is a MONSTER contract to give him. I wouldn't give him that much $ or that much term.

However, a team on the open market, he could very well get something like this.
    bg77 a aimé ceci.
    3 sept. 2023 à 14 h 23
    Démarrer sujet
    Rejoint: juin 2019
    Mentions "j'aime": 31

Hello MeetYourMakar,

Thank you for the feedback!

The Leafs actually would be able to give him 8 years in this instance, that is the whole point of us trading for him before the July 1st window. For reference, you can look at the Damon Severson trade that Columbus made with New Jersey in June. They acquired his rights to allow them to offer the 8 year deal. This was also something Toronto almost did with Edmonton when Zach Hyman was about to hit free agency. I believe Holland was willing to give us a fifth round pick to acquire Hyman and extend him for 8 years. Dubas wanted more so they just waited until the July 1st window and gave him 7 years instead.
    3 sept. 2023 à 14 h 25
    Démarrer sujet
    Quoting: Wilson_W_Wilson_Jr
    I can see Toronto re-signing both Bertuzzi and Domi.

I like Toews, but this is a MONSTER contract to give him. I wouldn't give him that much $ or that much term.

However, a team on the open market, he could very well get something like this.

Hello Wilson_W_Wilson_Jr.,

Thank you for the feedback! In your opinion, what money and term would you be willing to sign Devon Toews at? I feel like he is an underrated player and will command a lot of leverage as he enters free agency. Interested to hear your thoughts.
    3 sept. 2023 à 14 h 30
    Démarrer sujet

Hello Avsfantrumpetman,

In my opinion, I honestly think it would be wise for Colorado to consider alternatives to signing Toews. You guys need to make sure there is enough money to keep Rantanen, Makar, and Byram once they expire. I also believe that an area of weakness when I look at Colorado is depth forwards, primarily up the middle. A lot of what your team does is going to depend on how Ryan Johansen fares in his first full season with the team. I would personally be inclined to use the money you would be giving Toews to add second line players and rebuild the depth upfront that was lost when guys like Kadri and Burakovsky left Colorado after your cup win. If Byram stays healthy, I would be content to run with Makar, Byram, Girard, and Manson as my top-four D core. Just my own thoughts and would like to here where you are at with this.
    NMAvsFan et HockeyManiac95 a aimé ceci.
    3 sept. 2023 à 14 h 51
    Representing the 505
    Rejoint: sept. 2020
    Mentions "j'aime": 3,686

It's isn't about how old he is when the deal ends, it's about how many prime years they'll get out of him before he begins to decline. Seeing as how he'll turn 31 in the middle of the first year of that deal and athletic performance declines beginning in your early 30's, it's entirely possible they get 0 prime years out of him. It highly likely may they've gotten the best he has to offer (which has been great) and he declines every single year of his new deal which is why I'm against it.
    Avsfantrumpetman a aimé ceci.
    3 sept. 2023 à 14 h 53
    Representing the 505
    Rejoint: sept. 2020
    Mentions "j'aime": 3,686
    Quoting: bg77
    Hello Avsfantrumpetman,

In my opinion, I honestly think it would be wise for Colorado to consider alternatives to signing Toews. You guys need to make sure there is enough money to keep Rantanen, Makar, and Byram once they expire. I also believe that an area of weakness when I look at Colorado is depth forwards, primarily up the middle. A lot of what your team does is going to depend on how Ryan Johansen fares in his first full season with the team. I would personally be inclined to use the money you would be giving Toews to add second line players and rebuild the depth upfront that was lost when guys like Kadri and Burakovsky left Colorado after your cup win. If Byram stays healthy, I would be content to run with Makar, Byram, Girard, and Manson as my top-four D core. Just my own thoughts and would like to here where you are at with this.

My feeling is the Avs shouldn't re-sign Toews precisely because they won't have money to re-sign core players and put a good enough team around them. They need more depth, they may have to replace Landy and guys like Byram, Mikko and Cale are going to want significant raises when the time comes, which is soon. They definitely should trade Manson but a core of Makar, Byram and Girard surrounded by complementary but less expensive D will work just fine.
    bg77 a aimé ceci.
    3 sept. 2023 à 15 h 16
    Jason Zucker Smile
    Rejoint: juin 2023
    Mentions "j'aime": 118
    Hello Wilson_W_Wilson_Jr.,

Thank you for the feedback! In your opinion, what money and term would you be willing to sign Devon Toews at? I feel like he is an underrated player and will command a lot of leverage as he enters free agency. Interested to hear your thoughts.

He is definitely and underrated player.

I wouldn't want to go over 6 years. I can see a 5 or 6 year deal. In the range of $7 million AAV or just over that range.

But, an open market FA, a team realistically could give him 7 years and over $8 million AAV.
    bg77 a aimé ceci.
    3 sept. 2023 à 16 h 14
    Rejoint: mars 2016
    Mentions "j'aime": 12
    Did I miss something about Makar’s contract cause he has 4 years left currently and would be 3 given the season of your ACGM.
    bg77 et MeetYourMakar a aimé ceci.
    3 sept. 2023 à 16 h 21
    Démarrer sujet
    Quoting: ISUAvsFan45
    Did I miss something about Makar’s contract cause he has 4 years left currently and would be 3 given the season of your ACGM.

Hello ISUAvsFans45,

My point is that tying yourselves with the deal I have given Toews would handcuff your team greatly. Makar likely gets $13-$14 million at that point, Rantanen gets $11.5-$12 million, Byram could get $7-8 if he is healthy. The team needs to be able to supplement the rest of the roster, and if Colorado re-signs Toews, it becomes very difficult to keep the band together without having an enormously top heavy roster. I am a Leafs fan and have experienced this myself.

As I mentioned in a previous message to another commenter, I think Colorado would be wise to use that money upfront to bring in more middle-six forwards. Nathan Mackinnon is fantastic, but when he gets hurt, there is really nothing behind him at centre.
    HockeyManiac95 a aimé ceci.
    3 sept. 2023 à 16 h 24
    and proud of it
    Rejoint: févr. 2023
    Mentions "j'aime": 1,605
    Hello Avsfantrumpetman,

That is a very good assessment of Colorado's situation. honestly, it's better than some of our own fans.
    NMAvsFan et bg77 a aimé ceci.
    3 sept. 2023 à 16 h 26
    and proud of it
    I would do that next year seeing as keeping Toews could devastate us in terms of cap, but honestly I'd probably ask for a 2nd at least
    3 sept. 2023 à 16 h 49
    Démarrer sujet
    Quoting: HockeyManiac95
    I would do that next year seeing as keeping Toews could devastate us in terms of cap, but honestly I'd probably ask for a 2nd at least

Hello HockeyManiac95,

Thank you for the positive feedback, I really appreciate it!

If Colorado wants a second, I'm going to assume Toronto waits until July 1st and rolls the dice that he will accept our contract offer at 7 years rather than 8. I'm not personally willing to give more up for him since he still isn't obliged to actually extend a contract with us once we acquire him. But I can understand your point of view, Toews is a great player. Sakic did a great job in his time as General Manager of your team, class act.
    3 sept. 2023 à 16 h 52
    and proud of it
    Hello HockeyManiac95,

Thank you for the positive feedback, I really appreciate it!

If Colorado wants a second, I'm going to assume Toronto waits until July 1st and rolls the dice that he will accept our contract offer at 7 years rather than 8. I'm not personally willing to give more up for him since he still isn't obliged to actually extend a contract with us once we acquire him. But I can understand your point of view, Toews is a great player. Sakic did a great job in his time as General Manager of your team, class act.

Hello bg77.

Thank you for your hilariously proper greeting tears of joy. I really enjoy it.

Anyway, I can understand your point as well. We'll see how the dice roll next year
    bg77 et MeetYourMakar a aimé ceci.
    4 sept. 2023 à 9 h 23
    Rejoint: févr. 2020
    Mentions "j'aime": 2,481

Fair, but I would say that's because there hasn't been one worthy of that. Closest was Kadri and 2C off a career year n all that wasnt a smart bet. Toews is safer and more deserving. He could fall off like Vlassic though
    4 sept. 2023 à 10 h 12
    Rejoint: juill. 2021
    Mentions "j'aime": 1,096
    Fair, but I would say that's because there hasn't been one worthy of that. Closest was Kadri and 2C off a career year n all that wasnt a smart bet. Toews is safer and more deserving. He could fall off like Vlassic though

Honestly, the only guys on this roster that I want to see until they are 37 are MacKinnon, Makar and Rantanen

Répondre
    To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
    Question:
    Options:
    Ajouter une option
    Soumettre le sondage