SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Where did this stupid, lazy, endlessly repeated 'Core 4' label come from?

26 juill. 2023 à 9 h 59
Matt Hendricks Sucks
Rejoint: juin 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 118
Does anyone else hate hearing about the 'Core 4' in Toronto?

What a stupid name to describe these guys, and it seems like everyone uses it. Regurgitating their hockey knowledge just like everyone else, because they've heard it somewhere.

Most names come from a winning pedigree. Not here. Win something you bunch of overpaid, whiny, 'hockey players' is it?

And why are these guys untouchable in a lot of peoples eyes?

I know these guys are all really good hockey players, but sometimes change is needed.

Probably one of the many reasons why Ryan O'Reilly and Luke Schenn walked.
palhal a aimé ceci.
22 août 2023 à 15 h 16
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 548
The players a team is built around are usually referred to as the team’s core. There happen to be four forwards in Toronto’s core. It should be “core 5” because Rielly is also part of their core, but some of the discussions are specifically about forwards. I don’t think it’s meant to be a cute nickname like you might give to a forward line. It’s just what they are – the core of the team.

Being part of the core doesn’t necessarily mean you’re untouchable. I’m sure the Leafs have considered trading one or more of them at various times, but it has never really made sense. Tavares has always been untouchable because of his contract. Matthews is untouchable because you don’t give up one of the best five players in the world if you’re trying to win the cup. With Marner I think it’s not necessarily that they didn’t want to move him, but his cap hit makes it difficult to get a good return for him. Now he has a no-move clause too. Nylander is very tradeable (though he does have a 10-team no-trade list this season) because he’s underpaid at his current salary and cap hit, but now he’s in the last year of his contract, so if their goal is to improve the team now, they wouldn’t get good value for him in a trade unless they can trade him for another underpaid 1-year rental who could fill a role that they need more. Can you think of anybody like that?
CameronSquires a aimé ceci.
22 août 2023 à 20 h 54
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,815
Well the "core four" is somewhat appropriate name. Now are they worthy to be paid as much as they are? Definitely not. So maybe it's "poor core four". If any of the core four leave as UFAs next summer and the summer after, I as a Leaf fan wouldn't be upset. Just hope the GM spends the cap wisely replacing those guys.
23 août 2023 à 12 h 49
Démarrer sujet
Matt Hendricks Sucks
Rejoint: juin 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 118
This is the NHL, where you get to play hockey for a living, and not a modest living. You are incredibly lucky to be in this position, don't take it for granted and exploit it.

I am a Leaf fan. But, do I get on board with everything this team does? No.

I'm sure most Leaf fans were not happy about any of Matthews, Marner, and Nylander's contracts coming out of their ELC's. How can any fan defend this? This is too much for these guys. This is a CAP era, and these players know it. So, they would rather take more $ and make it that much harder for a collective win.

If there is no CAP, no one cares what these guys make.

It's a scary thought to think that Matthews can literally do whatever he wants now. The cards, power, and control are ALL in his hands.

I often wonder if Toronto's former GM even negotiated these contracts. What # were you guys originally talking about to settle on these #'s for Matthews, Marner, and Nylander. Or was there any negotiation at all?

Toronto lets go of a proven GM in Lamoriello and replaces him with a nobody. ONLY IN TORONTO does this stuff happen.

I'm not a Babcock fan, but could you imagine being told by this 'arrogant' and 'ignorant' Lamoriello replacement that you don't have a job anymore. Replaces Babcock with a nobody, ONLY IN TORONTO.

What was it that Toronto's former GM said, "We can and we will", what a piece this guy is. You failed.

To borrow a line from former NHLer, Jeremy Roenick, "Wake up, NHL. Wake up". Replace the word NHL with Toronto, "Wake up, Toronto. Wake up"

Does anyone need to see another Mitch Marner commercial?
23 août 2023 à 13 h 53
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,047
Quoting: Wilson_W_Wilson_Jr
This is the NHL, where you get to play hockey for a living, and not a modest living. You are incredibly lucky to be in this position, don't take it for granted and exploit it.

I am a Leaf fan. But, do I get on board with everything this team does? No.

I'm sure most Leaf fans were not happy about any of Matthews, Marner, and Nylander's contracts coming out of their ELC's. How can any fan defend this? This is too much for these guys. This is a CAP era, and these players know it. So, they would rather take more $ and make it that much harder for a collective win.

If there is no CAP, no one cares what these guys make.

It's a scary thought to think that Matthews can literally do whatever he wants now. The cards, power, and control are ALL in his hands.

I often wonder if Toronto's former GM even negotiated these contracts. What # were you guys originally talking about to settle on these #'s for Matthews, Marner, and Nylander. Or was there any negotiation at all?

Toronto lets go of a proven GM in Lamoriello and replaces him with a nobody. ONLY IN TORONTO does this stuff happen.

I'm not a Babcock fan, but could you imagine being told by this 'arrogant' and 'ignorant' Lamoriello replacement that you don't have a job anymore. Replaces Babcock with a nobody, ONLY IN TORONTO.

What was it that Toronto's former GM said, "We can and we will", what a piece this guy is. You failed.

To borrow a line from former NHLer, Jeremy Roenick, "Wake up, NHL. Wake up". Replace the word NHL with Toronto, "Wake up, Toronto. Wake up"

Does anyone need to see another Mitch Marner commercial?

Lou really wasnt a good GM in Toronto lets be real

He wasted probably the Leafs best oppertunity at a cup back in 2017-2018

Back then Leafs had Bozak, Kadri, Matthews, JVR, Marner, Nylander, Brown, Hyman, and Johnsson and Kapenan knocking at the door

NYR were selling

JT Miller and McDonagh were on the table and as we saw with TBL didnt cost a whole tonne but what did he do go spend a 2nd on Tomas Plekanec who had 0 intentions on coming back. If Leafs had added McDonagh to their Dcore and Miller to that already impressive forward core would have broke the first round curse by then and might have went all the way to SCF

Drafting was **** in his era along with FA signings (Thanks for Zaitsev and Marleau)

His one good quality was extensions for pending UFA's and some RFA's thats it

NYI want him gone so its a sign. Sure Dubas wasnt perfect but when he took over drafting got better, he fixed the Dcore, and brought in some good pieces at the TDL or various points in his tenure. Now we got Brad who as we saw knew immediately what this team needed and addressed it lets seee

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage