Forums/Armchair-GM

A Post Mortem of Game 1 - Complete Failure

Créé par: NorthernLeafsFan05
Équipe: 2022-23 Maple Leafs de Toronto
Date de création initiale: 19 avr. 2023
Publié: 19 avr. 2023
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
It sucked. From top to bottom, everything about that game sucked. The Leafs coaching, the Leafs discipline, the Leafs effort. Everything about that game aside from Matthews, Marner, Rielly, and O'Reilly sucked. It's yet another repeat chapter in the Leafs long line of playoff failure. Now, obviously one game does not dictate an entire series (i.e Tampa lost 5 - 0 in Game 1 last year), but there were parts of that game that I think do warrant some worrying. Also, I am not going to talk about the officiating because that was classic playoff officiating. We can sit here and cry all day, but lets be honest, it happens to everyone. I was just as angry as any other Leafs fan last night, but we have the Leafs to blame for that loss, not the officials.

Now, let's talk about the thing that worries me most following that Game 1 loss: Sheldon Keefe. I tend to give Keefe the benefit of the doubt because he has coached this team to 2 straight 100+ point seasons, one of which was the single best regular season in Leafs history. After last night though, I am very concerned. First off, why structure the lineup in that way? Removing Jarnkrok from line 1? Why?? We had seen Jarnkrok flourish next to Matthews for a large part of the regular season. When he's on that top line, he is hugely impactful. Chalk it up to playing next to Matthews all you want, but he contributes very well. So keeping that in mind, it is only right that Keefe REMOVES Jarnkrok from the top line and plugs him into the third line where he has not contributed nearly as much, right? Then, deciding to move Tavares on the wing and play him with OReilly was also just a dumb decision. When we iced those two alongside Marner against Buffalo, it worked extremely well. But suddenly, it just stopped, and then we eventually had ROR centering the third line (which worked very well). So again, why does Keefe revert back to these lines that don't work? Plus, to insert a loose cannon like Bunting onto the first line in a playoff series was just stupid. We talked about Bunting's antics at length in the Leafs forums, and sure enough, his stupidity cost us any chance at getting back into the game. Keefe removed a winger that worked on the top line and replaced him with a guy that is prone to taking penalties against the TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING, A TEAM WITH KUCHEROV, POINT, STAMKOS, AND HEDMAN. It made no sense, and sure enough, blew up in our face. Then, when Jarnkrok was reunited with Matthews, he scored. Who could've seen that coming? Oh right, literally anyone that watched about 5 Leafs games this season. Plus, giving Acciari more 5v5 ice time than Matthews... It is so annoying just how poorly Keefe coached this game. The right lines could not be more clear, but no, let's go a different route to kick off the first stretch of games that actually matter. Starting the fourth line on home ice was another dumb thing. They got absolutely fed by the Lightning fourth line and got us down early in the game. Also the challenge on the Perry goal was just dumb. You gifted the Lightning a 2 man advantage. That was beyond stupid. One can only wonder what was going through Keefe's head, if anything even was.

The second concern I had was the discipline of the Leafs. Call the officiating bad all you want, but nearly every call against the Leafs (aside from the Kampf slash) was a penalty. Even if they were weak calls, they were penalties. But you know what? The Leafs actually fought really hard. The PK prior to the Nylander goal was excellent, and built momentum that led to a PP which led to a goal. It is just a fact that you are going to take penalties in games. Get used to it. What separates the winners from the losers is how you respond to those penalties, and the Leafs looked like winners when responding. Then of course, Bunting threw away a 3 - 2 game with one of the single dumbest plays I've seen a Leaf make in the playoffs since Kadri. That illegal check to the head on Cernak ensured our loss. Not only were we down a forward, but we know had to kill off a 5 minute major. Then, the Lightning scored 3, and what was once a 1 goal game was now a 4 goal game. We had everything trending in our favor momentum wise with only 1 goal to make up for in a game with lots of hockey left. Michael Bunting cost us that game. Yes, we had a bad start, but we responded. There was no coming back from that major though. It killed all momentum, set us back in the score, and made us 1 skater shorter. I still can't believe that play. If that is Bunting's last game as a Leaf then so be it. What an idiotic move.

The last concern I have is in regards to the effort of the Leafs, mainly in the first few minutes of the game. We cannot let ourselves have starts that bad period, let alone against a team like the Lightning. There isn't much to say about this point because after the start, we actually gave a pretty solid effort. It sucks that we were already down 2 - 0 by the time the Leafs had any life, but it was a positive sign. Then the Bunting penalty happened and the Leafs just gave up.

For Game 2, I'd like to see Knies draw in. I've seen some practice lines on Twitter, and they look improved, but the real killer is going to be how those lines are deployed. I also don't love Kerfoot being in the top 6, but it's whatever. Atleast he won't go headhunting. Also, the practice lines going around have had Gio and Holl dressed as the second pairing, but I want both of them sat. I'd like to see Liljegren and Gus given looks, even though they won't be extended that opportunity. The lineup I put together in this ACGM isn't a prediction, but what I think the best lines would be. With the inclusion of Knies, I think he should be played with Nylander. Him paired with OReilly and Nylander worked really well, but most of that had to do with Nylander. His puck moving ability and intellect to make plays just made it work for Knies. I find Kerfoot too passive to be on a line with Tavares and Nylander. Pairing him with some physical guys in ROR and Acciari is the way to do. And yes, I think Sammy should start.
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de BOS
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de NYI
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de CHI
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de OTT
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de CHI
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2682 500 000 $84 912 913 $212 500 $0 $-2 412 913 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
2 100 000 $2 100 000 $
AD, C, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 4
11 640 250 $11 640 250 $
C
UFA - 2
10 903 000 $10 903 000 $
AD
UFA - 3
925 000 $925 000 $
AG, AD
RFA - 3
11 000 000 $11 000 000 $
C, AG
NMC
UFA - 3
6 962 366 $6 962 366 $
AD
UFA - 2
950 000 $950 000 $
AG
UFA - 1
1 875 000 $1 875 000 $
C
UFA - 1
1 250 000 $1 250 000 $
C, AD
UFA - 1
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
AG, C, AD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
C
UFA - 1
840 630 $840 630 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
DG/DD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG/DD
NTC
UFA - 2
1 800 000 $1 800 000 $
G
UFA - 1
7 500 000 $7 500 000 $
DG
NMC
UFA - 8
1 400 000 $1 400 000 $
DD
RFA - 2
766 667 $766 667 $
G
RFA - 3
800 000 $800 000 $
DG
UFA - 1
850 000 $850 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
1 150 000 $1 150 000 $
AD, C, AG
UFA - 2
4 687 500 $4 687 500 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
5 625 000 $5 625 000 $
DG
NTC
UFA - 2
850 000 $850 000 $
DD
RFA - 1
796 667 $796 667 $
AG, AD
RFA - 2
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
DD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
762 500 $762 500 $
AD, AG
UFA - 2
900 000 $900 000 $
AD, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 1
750 000 $750 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1
800 000 $800 000 $
DG
UFA - 2
750 000 $750 000 $
G
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
19 avr. 2023 à 13 h 30
Rip
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,106
Sammy better bounce back, if he doesn't we are going to be relying on a rookie until Murray is healthy. If that happens.
19 avr. 2023 à 13 h 31
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,093
Quoting: RipNasty
Sammy better bounce back, if he doesn't we are going to be relying on a rookie until Murray is healthy. If that happens.

Im not sure you can blame Game 1 on Sammy
19 avr. 2023 à 13 h 35
Rip
Quoting: Nathaniel
Im not sure you can blame Game 1 on Sammy

Not entirely but he looked nervous and that scares the hell out of me. Bad rebounds to start and then the 3rd goal was a back breaker. I certainly didn't like the 4th goal either. Which happened before Bunting blew up the game, fyi. After that it didn't matter. Sammy needed to be better to start. Had he kept his rebounds in check then they don't score the 1st 2 and maybe it's a different game. Brodie looked bad on the 4th goal as well, went way out of position looking for a hit and that gave point the crease but a weak shot along the ice can't go in and it did.
NorthernLeafsFan05 a aimé ceci.
19 avr. 2023 à 13 h 37
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 5,207
Agree with a lot of it, but Gio and Holl are too important to be sat. We need them playing well to defend at our best. Schenn I thought struggled with the speed and went for hits when he should've been thinking about the transition game quite a bit. Only D sub I'd make is Liljegren in for Schenn. I would also split M&M.
NorthernLeafsFan05 et RipNasty a aimé ceci.
19 avr. 2023 à 13 h 43
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Mentions "j'aime": 6,093
Quoting: leafs101
Agree with a lot of it, but Gio and Holl are too important to be sat. We need them playing well to defend at our best. Schenn I thought struggled with the speed and went for hits when he should've been thinking about the transition game quite a bit. Only D sub I'd make is Liljegren in for Schenn. I would also split M&M.

I want to split Matthews and Marner, but who fills in as 1RW?
19 avr. 2023 à 14 h 54
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,983
The sample is not as large but Kefoot nets out significantly better with Matthews than Tavares.

IMO the ideal lines would be:
Kerfoot Matthews Nylander
Jarnkrok Tavares Marner
Knies O'Reilly Acciari
ZAR Kampf Lafferty

We need to puck movers on the Dcore, it won't happen but I'd go:
McCabe Brodie
Gus Liljegren
Rielly Schenn

The 3rd line would scare me cause I don't know how they would play together and Gus + Liljegren do not have a large enough sample to go on plus Timmothy has been sitting for so long I don't know how he would look.
19 avr. 2023 à 17 h 37
Rip
Quoting: MatthewsFan
The sample is not as large but Kefoot nets out significantly better with Matthews than Tavares.

IMO the ideal lines would be:
Kerfoot Matthews Nylander
Jarnkrok Tavares Marner
Knies O'Reilly Acciari
ZAR Kampf Lafferty

We need to puck movers on the Dcore, it won't happen but I'd go:
McCabe Brodie
Gus Liljegren
Rielly Schenn

The 3rd line would scare me cause I don't know how they would play together and Gus + Liljegren do not have a large enough sample to go on plus Timmothy has been sitting for so long I don't know how he would look.

We need Holl and Gio to play well. Schenn is the weak link but really only Rielly played well for our defence last night. I would put Liljegren in though. I like the idea of isolating Matthews with Jarnkrok and Kerfoot. Give JT Marner and someone else, don't really care who and then Willy, Knies and ROR. I think you'd be able to get one of those 3 lines out against easy 3rd or 4th liners and dominate them.
19 avr. 2023 à 18 h 13
Ovchinnikov 137
We need Holl and Gio to play well. Schenn is the weak link but really only Rielly played well for our defence last night. I would put Liljegren in though. I like the idea of isolating Matthews with Jarnkrok and Kerfoot. Give JT Marner and someone else, don't really care who and then Willy, Knies and ROR. I think you'd be able to get one of those 3 lines out against easy 3rd or 4th liners and dominate them.

Interesting take to single out the one guy on D who wasn’t on for a goal against (GF 1 GA 0) highest CF% (69.57) of all defensivemen while playing the 4th most mins at 5v5 for Dmen.

Where is Rielly going here?

If this is Schenn TBL players don’t touch the net

Like outside of a soft as **** cross checking penalty, Schenn was not an issue at all. Brodie, McCabe, Schenn we’re fine last night and I’d include Rielly there too outside of the blown coverage on Colton.

But Gio (who has starting looking his age down the stretch) couldn’t box out on the opening two goals against and Holl was a disaster.

Again, TOR inability to move the puck has been an issue for a long time, I don’t see Liljegren or Gustafsson factoring in but Gio and Holl are going to get worked by TBL’s forwards.
19 avr. 2023 à 18 h 52
Mentions "j'aime": 60
Dangle had a pretty good point about Bunting too and how stupid that hit was given he's going into UFA. His value as a player has tanked this year with his reputation.
RipNasty a aimé ceci.
19 avr. 2023 à 19 h 33
Rip
Interesting take to single out the one guy on D who wasn’t on for a goal against (GF 1 GA 0) highest CF% (69.57) of all defensivemen while playing the 4th most mins at 5v5 for Dmen.

Where is Rielly going here?

If this is Schenn TBL players don’t touch the net

Like outside of a soft as **** cross checking penalty, Schenn was not an issue at all. Brodie, McCabe, Schenn we’re fine last night and I’d include Rielly there too outside of the blown coverage on Colton.

But Gio (who has starting looking his age down the stretch) couldn’t box out on the opening two goals against and Holl was a disaster.

Again, TOR inability to move the puck has been an issue for a long time, I don’t see Liljegren or Gustafsson factoring in but Gio and Holl are going to get worked by TBL’s forwards.

Blaming Rielly for that goal is all I need to hear. Colton came from the other side of the ice. Holl and ROR should have been on him but he got behind everyone. Rielly was where he was supposed to be. It's not surprising Rielly gets blamed there though. Too many Leaf fans spend their time looking for mistakes than watching the game.
19 avr. 2023 à 21 h 3
Ovchinnikov 137
Blaming Rielly for that goal is all I need to hear. Colton came from the other side of the ice. Holl and ROR should have been on him but he got behind everyone. Rielly was where he was supposed to be. It's not surprising Rielly gets blamed there though. Too many Leaf fans spend their time looking for mistakes than watching the game.

🤷‍♂️ 🤔 not the only one I guess

“ As for Holl, he cannot whiff on Perry curling around the net on the first goal, and he (Holl) and Morgan Rielly were caught sleeping on the stretch pass by Nick Perbix to Ross Colton for the breakaway seventh Tampa goal.”

You do you bud
19 avr. 2023 à 22 h 20
Rip
🤷‍♂️ 🤔 not the only one I guess

“ As for Holl, he cannot whiff on Perry curling around the net on the first goal, and he (Holl) and Morgan Rielly were caught sleeping on the stretch pass by Nick Perbix to Ross Colton for the breakaway seventh Tampa goal.”

You do you bud

Cool
2 mai 2023 à 12 h 57
Tintin over 1122
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 10,168
You predicted the game 7 line up

Almost, I forgot they went 11-7
NorthernLeafsFan05 a aimé ceci.
2 mai 2023 à 13 h 49
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever