SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

How will Tampa become cap compliant at beginning of season?

15 juill. 2022 à 12 h 31
Rejoint: juill. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 0
Hello,

Currently Tampa is -7 million in projected cap. How are they going to move that down? Please help.

PS - I'm not with the organisation ... :P
15 juill. 2022 à 12 h 46
Rejoint: août 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,060
Seabrook on LTIR and either using a 22 man roster or buyout Myers
Tiggazoo et A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
15 juill. 2022 à 13 h 21
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: juill. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 0
I thought you had to be cap compliant at beginning of season INCLUDING LTIR, no?
15 juill. 2022 à 13 h 29
Quoting: Tiggazoo
I thought you had to be cap compliant at beginning of season INCLUDING LTIR, no?

I think they can avoid that by using SOIR

https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#soir
Tiggazoo et DirtyDangle a aimé ceci.
15 juill. 2022 à 14 h 26
Go Habs Go
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,091
Quoting: UpsideDownQue
I think they can avoid that by using SOIR

https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#soir

That's for players on 2-way contracts that have no NHL games last season (or partial relief for those with a limited number of NHL games).
Basically the guys who get injured over the off-season/camp, and you can defer sending them down until you determine their status, without it impacting your cap.
UpsideDownQue et Tiggazoo a aimé ceci.
15 juill. 2022 à 14 h 41
Go Habs Go
Quoting: Tiggazoo

If I remember correctly, it's only recalculated at that time?
Technically, on paper, the player is returned to the active roster, the calculations are made, and then the player is placed on LTIR, and those calculations are made.
For Tampa, at a glance, it looks like they are only going to be $320kish over. So they can basically send someone down and have a 22 man compliant roster.
They will probably make a move however, because you don't accumulate cap space while in LTIR, so that $320k won't go away unless they do something about it.
Tiggazoo a aimé ceci.
15 juill. 2022 à 14 h 44
Quoting: ricochetii
That's for players on 2-way contracts that have no NHL games last season (or partial relief for those with a limited number of NHL games).
Basically the guys who get injured over the off-season/camp, and you can defer sending them down until you determine their status, without it impacting your cap.

Maybe im looking at the wrong part then. Under SOIR it says:

Quoting: CapFriendly
What is the season opening injured reserve (SOIR)?
If a player who is on a two-way contract becomes disabled during training-camp or who reports to training-camp disabled as the result of a hockey related injury incurred during the off-season, they can be placed on season-opening injured reserve, to possibly obtain cap relief. It is notable that the SOIR equations are not the same as the daily rate equations in CBA 15.6, which is instead used to calculate the players daily salary (as opposed to cap hit).

Full Cap Hit
Players who are on a one-way contract, or players on a two-way contract who accrued 50 or more NHL games in the previous season count fully against the cap hit. Teams can opt to place these players on LTIR to obtain cap-relief (LTIR FAQ).

It shows this for players on one-way contracts under the SOIR section but I guess thats just considered regular LTIR?
Tiggazoo a aimé ceci.
15 juill. 2022 à 14 h 48
This is the closest example I could find of a similar situation. CAR last year had Gardiner on LTIR to start the season to remain cap compliant. Im not sure if its a different situation for Seabrook since he didnt play last year

15 juill. 2022 à 22 h 12
Go Habs Go
Maybe im looking at the wrong part then. Under SOIR it says:

It shows this for players on one-way contracts under the SOIR section but I guess thats just considered regular LTIR?

Perhaps if I reword it?

Full Cap Hit
Players who are on a one-way contract, or players on a two-way contract who accrued 50 or more NHL games in the previous season count fully against the cap hit. Teams can opt to place these players on LTIR to obtain cap-relief (LTIR FAQ).

If a player is on a one-way contract OR played 50 NHL games (under a two-way contract) in the previous season, they aren't eligible for SOIR and will count fully against the cap hit.
Teams may choose to LTIR those players to obtain cap relief instead.

This is the closest example I could find of a similar situation. CAR last year had Gardiner on LTIR to start the season to remain cap compliant. Im not sure if its a different situation for Seabrook since he didnt play last year

As you see there, Carolina has Gardiner on LTIR, Trochek on IR, and Rees on SOIR.
Trochek's cap hit applies.
Gardiner's cap hit applies, but is then moved to the LTIR before determining whether Carolina is compliant.
Rees' cap hit doesn't apply. He's in a sort of "limbo", where he doesn't impact the cap, as he has played no NHL games.

SOIR players may be waiver eligible or require being sent down below the AHL level, or to Europe, if they don't make the NHL roster.
You can't really evaluate a player or move them while they are injured, so this allows you to keep them around without being penalized or forced into an irreversible decision.
So your 1st round pick that gets injured in camp, still has a chance to make the team that year and get their 9 game trial, or burn a year of their ELC. You don't have to send them to the juniors where they won't have the opportunity to develop their game at the "professional level". You don't have to waive or risk losing another player in order to keep a player you may be sending down when healthy. Etc.
UpsideDownQue a aimé ceci.
15 juill. 2022 à 22 h 19
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 965
Quoting: ricochetii
If I remember correctly, it's only recalculated at that time?
Technically, on paper, the player is returned to the active roster, the calculations are made, and then the player is placed on LTIR, and those calculations are made.
For Tampa, at a glance, it looks like they are only going to be $320kish over. So they can basically send someone down and have a 22 man compliant roster.
They will probably make a move however, because you don't accumulate cap space while in LTIR, so that $320k won't go away unless they do something about it.

Looking at their Cap Friendly page none of their current "NHL contracts" are two-way and none of the players are waivers exempt so to "bury" one they risk losing one of them to waivers. Probably would be Fleury in that scenario since he has the bigger hill to climb to make the roster in any case, but there is risk in losing him there.
Tiggazoo a aimé ceci.
19 juill. 2022 à 12 h 15
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,192
Sending someone to the minors and Seabrook being on LITR will give them 500k of cap space with a 22 man roster.
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage