Forums/Armchair-GM

Tell Me About Michal Kempny

Créé par: OldSenileGuy
Équipe: 2020-21 Rangers de New York
Date de création initiale: 8 sept. 2020
Publié: 8 sept. 2020
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
Every Caps AGM has them trading away Kempny for like a 5th rounder, and a ton of the NYR ones have them picking him up for about the same. So, two questions:

1) Does he suck now? Or is it just a case of him "not fitting" with what the Caps are building?

2) Is he actually likely to be traded, or is it just wishful thinking on the part of every Caps fan?
Transactions
WSH
  1. Choix de 7e ronde en 2020 (VAN)
Rachats de contrats
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de NYR
Logo de CAR
Logo de NYR
Logo de DAL
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NSH
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de BUF
Logo de NYR
Logo de OTT
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
1781 500 000 $63 533 133 $0 $8 062 500 $17 966 867 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Rangers de New York
11 642 857 $11 642 857 $
AG
NMC
UFA - 6
5 350 000 $5 350 000 $
C
NMC
UFA - 2
3 250 000 $3 250 000 $
AG, AD, C
UFA - 1
6 500 000 $6 500 000 $
AG
NMC
UFA - 7
863 333 $863 333 $
C, AG
UFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance2 650 000 $$3M)
AD
RFA - 2
894 166 $894 166 $ (Bonis de performance350 000 $$350K)
C, AG
UFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance850 000 $$850K)
AG, AD
RFA - 3
863 333 $863 333 $ (Bonis de performance300 000 $$300K)
AD
UFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
Logo de Capitals de Washington
2 500 000 $2 500 000 $
DG
UFA - 2
8 000 000 $8 000 000 $
DD
NMC
UFA - 6
1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
G
UFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance850 000 $$850K)
DD
UFA - 2
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance2 850 000 $$3M)
G
UFA - 1
4 350 000 $4 350 000 $
DG/DD, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance212 500 $$212K)
DG
RFA - 1
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
5 700 000 $5 700 000 $
DG
NMC
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
8 sept. 2020 à 14 h 32
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 3,227
He's still good but Caps are absolutely loaded at LHD and they want to give youngsters (Siegenthaler, Fehervary, and then Alexeyev soon) more TOI. They aren't moving Orlov so Kempny makes the most sense. They'd probably move him for a 3rd or if they get bidding going maybe a late 2nd.
OldSenileGuy a aimé ceci.
8 sept. 2020 à 14 h 40
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 875
Quoting: ClockReads2113
He's still good but Caps are absolutely loaded at LHD and they want to give youngsters (Siegenthaler, Fehervary, and then Alexeyev soon) more TOI. They aren't moving Orlov so Kempny makes the most sense. They'd probably move him for a 3rd or if they get bidding going maybe a late 2nd.

I'd say he's still serviceable, but not sure on the "good" front. He's lost a step from that hamstring injury late in the 2018-19 regular season and hasn't really recovered from that. That being said, I think he's still an NHL level defenseman, I just don't know if the $2.5M cap hit is really in the cards for the Caps, considering the "overpayment" for depth players in Hagelin and Panik.
Konofish a aimé ceci.
8 sept. 2020 à 14 h 45
Who adds what?
Rejoint: juill. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,703
Michal Kempny got 18 points at even strength this past year and was +19. Current Rangers who did both last year are Panarin, Fox, and if they can sign him, Strome. Adding a fourth guy at that level for a 7th round pick would be awesome if you could do it, but let's be realistic.

Some Caps fans are giving away lots of guys left and right to make cap space for Hall. Other Caps fans think that the guys the old coaches benched have to be traded because the coaches didn't like them. But the coaches all got fired. The old head coach is back to being an assistant in Pittsburgh. His opinion doesn't matter anymore.

NYR, NSH, MTL, and BUF are all rumored to want a top-four LHD. Could one of them score Kempny cheaply if the Caps really are in on Hall? Sure. Otherwise, bidding probably has to get up to about a 2nd round pick, or at least a high third and a risk/reward prospect, before the Caps are strongly motivated to sell? The only way they go cheaper is if Brendan Dillon wants to stay in Washington on a contract cheaper than Kempny's, and Carlson is happier skating with Dillon, but Carlson has put up his best offensive numbers of his career playing with Kempny, so I'd honestly be surprised.

Other guys that lots of Caps fans on here are giving away cheaply are Hagelin and Panik, two wings who consistently get about 30 points a year and not only play on the Caps' top penalty killing unit, but helped it rise from a bottom ten unit before their arrival to a top ten unit this year. Kempny's defensive improvement was a part of that rise as well. I highly recommend all three players, but I don't think a 7th pick is doing it. The Caps could use a right shot defenseman. They could use a center who's good at faceoffs. Their prospect depth has again been rated the worst in the league by the Athletic, so prospects at any position besides LHD should be tempting.
8 sept. 2020 à 15 h 40
Quoting: staytru20
I'd say he's still serviceable, but not sure on the "good" front. He's lost a step from that hamstring injury late in the 2018-19 regular season and hasn't really recovered from that. That being said, I think he's still an NHL level defenseman, I just don't know if the $2.5M cap hit is really in the cards for the Caps, considering the "overpayment" for depth players in Hagelin and Panik.

Don't think either are overpayments. Maybe Hags but not Panik. He was on pace for 30 points even with the terrible start. 30 points for $2.75M is real good. Wouldn't be surprised if he hit closer to 40 next season.
8 sept. 2020 à 15 h 44
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 297
Kempny was on the top pairing with Carlson for most of the year, but the organization seems to have lost faith in him. They brought in Dillon before the covid shutdown and immediately gave him Kempny's role on the top pairing and on the penalty kill while pushing Kempny down to the 3rd pairing or the press box, and then in the playoffs Kempny was a healthy scratch for the last three games of the Islanders series. There's also been talk during the shutdown that the Caps wanted to re-sign Dillon, and if the Caps have Orlov, Dillon, Fehervary, and Siegenthaler on the left side there's no room for Kempny (I think possibly no room for Siegenthaler either but that's another discussion). That's why a lot of Caps fans think he's on his way out - it's not wishful thinking, it's the logical next step based on his fall from favor. I think even his biggest supporters will probably acknowledge that he's the most likely Cap to be traded this offseason.

Quoting: Eli
Some Caps fans are giving away lots of guys left and right to make cap space for Hall. Other Caps fans think that the guys the old coaches benched have to be traded because the coaches didn't like them. But the coaches all got fired. The old head coach is back to being an assistant in Pittsburgh. His opinion doesn't matter anymore.

You're leaving out that Rierden is the same coach Kempny credits for his development into a top 4 defenseman, and that bringing in Dillon and wanting to re-sign him when Kempny still has 2 more years on his deal was/is a big vote of no confidence from management. For Rierden and MacLellan to lose faith in him is significant, even with Rierden gone. This wasn't a guy going in a coach's doghouse for no reason, Kempny's reduced role corroborates what most Caps fans have noticed about his declining defensive play.
8 sept. 2020 à 15 h 55
Who adds what?
Rejoint: juill. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,703
Quoting: Kalopsia
Doom

Gloom

Caps fans are so optimistic.

Is Dillon better defensively than Kempny? Yes. Is Kempny's shot attempt percentage better than any of the Rangers' LHD? Also yes.
I'm not arguing with ClockReads:

Quoting: ClockReads2113

I'm giving context. The idea that Fehervary can't go back to the AHL is nonsense. He's fine there. He's also okay playing limited minutes in the NHL, but there's no need to rush him along. He and Alexeyev could play top pair in Hershey and develop just fine. A second pair of Nardella and Johansen would be encouraging.
8 sept. 2020 à 16 h 10
Quoting: Eli
Caps fans are so optimistic.

Is Dillon better defensively than Kempny? Yes. Is Kempny's shot attempt percentage better than any of the Rangers' LHD? Also yes.
I'm not arguing with ClockReads:

I'm giving context. The idea that Fehervary can't go back to the AHL is nonsense. He's fine there. He's also okay playing limited minutes in the NHL, but there's no need to rush him along. He and Alexeyev could play top pair in Hershey and develop just fine. A second pair of Nardella and Johansen would be encouraging.

Fehervary doesn't have much to learn at the AHL level. Time to give him NHL time.
8 sept. 2020 à 16 h 11
Emotionally in 2018
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 3,387
Some people are overthinking this way too much. The way I see it, it's as simple as Kempny wasn't very good for us this whole season (although he was never 100% recovered from his injury last year) and for a team that a) is in a closing Cup window, and b) needs to retool the defense anyways, we can't really afford to hope he comes back healthy and plays like a top four defenseman again. He was healthy scratched in the playoffs for a reason.
9 sept. 2020 à 5 h 17
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17
Totally serviceable LD. Was briefly excellent, after bad injury wasn't great. Surplus to requirements in DC. Caps need right shot defenseman, (likely an) inexpensive veteran goalie, a little youth/speed on the wings (2nd-3rd line RW, 3rd line LW, maybe a 4th line RW but I think likely not.) Can be had for any of the above, or a decent pick.
Eli a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage