Forums/Armchair-GM

Graves to Montreal for picks

Créé par: Richard88
Équipe: 2020-21 Avalanche du Colorado
Date de création initiale: 27 avr. 2020
Publié: 27 avr. 2020
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
This roster is based on Graves being traded for futures. Short-term it isn't ideal as it removes Makar's current D partner, but with Zadorov resigned and Byram gradually easing into the team the loss of Graves will be manageable.

Offseason moves:

- Resign Burakovsky, Jost, Nichuskin, and Zadorov.

- Trade Graves to Montreal for 2 2nds (i.e. 2020 #38 and #39).
----> Montreal gets a young top 4 LHD in exchange for their extra picks.
----> Colorado has a logjam at LHD with Byram arriving, and this move gains them extra picks that can be used to boost the prospect pool. 2020 is a particularly important draft for Colorado given that prospects are usually around 3 years away from being ready, and that would put them in line to make the team on ELC's in 2023 right when Mackinnon's new deal kicks in. As such it makes a lot of sense to stock up on some high picks this year more than most.

- Avs go into the season with $6m in capspace just like this year, allowing them maximum flexibility to take advantage of trade situations that may arise during the season, as well as at the deadline.

********* 2020 DRAFT *********

With the 27th, 38th, and 39th draft picks Colorado selects:

- #27: JJ Peterka, an extremely fast and skilful scoring RW. (Alternatively RW/C Jacob Perrault).
- #38: Justin Barron, a solid all-around RHD who likely falls out of the 1st round due to injuries in his draft year. (Alternatively Topi Niemelä)
- #39: William Wallinder, a big and physical all-round physical LHD (Alternatively LHD Lukas Cormier or LHD Isaak Phillips, though the latter might be a reach due to his rawness and better targeted at #85).

The logic for these selections is two-fold:

1. Draft Value (BPA)
- The value in the late 1st will be in skilful forwards who have fallen in the 1st round, so a forward with a high ceiling makes sense there.
- There aren't a lot of Dmen at the top of the draft, but they will be highly valued early in the 2nd round.

2. Team Needs
Firstly, beyond Newhook and Kaut the prospect pool lacks high-end scoring talent. Ranta, Mutala, and Beaucage have potential, but they are mid-round pick long-shots with weaknesses to work on. It thus makes sense to augment the pool with a scoring winger with top 6 potential. The Avs roster/depth is very deep with young centers (i.e. Newhook, Bowers, Jost, Kamenev), so it makes sense to focus on wing rather than C.

Secondly, defensemen take longer to develop, and with an eye on post-Mackinnon-contract years it makes sense to draft Dmen capable of replacing Johnson and Zadorov. Drafting Dmen also safe-guards against the possibility of Timmins having concussion problems again, as well as the possibility of Helleson and/or Zhuravlyov not making it. By selecting a LHD and RHD Colorado's D would be very deep and completely set for the long-term and they could focus on forwards in subsequent drafts.

******** EXPANSION DRAFT **********

Protected (7+3+1):
- Mackinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Kadri, Burakovsky, Donskoi, Jost;
- Makar, Girard, Johnson (NMC)
- Grubauer.

Exposed: Compher, Nichuskin, Zadorov, Francouz.

Alternatively Johnson could be asked to waive his NMC (and we pay Seattle to not select him) so that we can protect Zadorov.
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
LISTE DE RÉSERVEANSCAP HIT
3925 000 $
3925 000 $
3925 000 $
3925 000 $
3925 000 $
3925 000 $
3925 000 $
3925 000 $
3925 000 $
3925 000 $
RFAANSCAP HIT
45 000 000 $
32 000 000 $
32 000 000 $
2950 000 $
33 500 000 $
Transactions
COL
  1. Choix de 2e ronde en 2020 (MTL)
  2. Choix de 2e ronde en 2020 (CHI)
MTL
  1. Graves, Ryan [Droits de RFA]
COL
  1. Choix de 3e ronde en 2020 (COL)
FLA
  1. Kamenev, Vladislav [Droits de RFA]
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de COL
Logo de CHI
Logo de MTL
Logo de TOR
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de FLA
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2281 500 000 $74 268 095 $0 $5 425 000 $7 231 905 $

Formation

Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Avalanche du Colorado
5 571 429 $5 571 429 $
AG, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
6 300 000 $6 300 000 $
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
9 250 000 $9 250 000 $
AD, C
UFA - 5
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 2
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 2
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
C
UFA - 1
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
C, AD
UFA - 3
3 900 000 $3 900 000 $
AD
UFA - 3
2 850 000 $2 850 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
1 800 000 $1 800 000 $
C, AG
UFA - 1
863 333 $863 333 $ (Bonis de performance425 000 $$425K)
AD
RFA - 3
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 7
880 833 $880 833 $ (Bonis de performance2 500 000 $$2M)
DD
UFA - 1
3 333 333 $3 333 333 $
G
UFA - 1
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1
6 000 000 $6 000 000 $
DD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
G
UFA - 2
894 167 $894 167 $ (Bonis de performance2 500 000 $$2M)
DG/DD
RFA - 3
3 450 000 $3 450 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
950 000 $950 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 2
725 000 $725 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 2

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
27 avr. 2020 à 12 h 35
KFTW
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 25,586
I dont think Montreal accepts considering the amount of talent that could be found in the 2nd round this year
clapperzzz11 et Torontoleafs15 a aimé ceci.
27 avr. 2020 à 12 h 37
Brad Boyes please Wq
Rejoint: août 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 714
MTL says god no
27 avr. 2020 à 12 h 41
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 237
MTL isn't giving two 2nd rd for a 24 y/o player that just came of his first nhl season.
If it was his 2nd or 3rd good year, probably they'll consider that trade. But not for now, with Chiarot already on the team, and probably Romanov, Harris, Norlinder are coming in the next 2-3 year. Leskinen can become a good option to.
27 avr. 2020 à 12 h 55
Rejoint: févr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,760
I think that is fair value for Graves, but I don't think either team would want to make the deal honestly. Like csick said, there is a lot of talent in the 2nd round this year. Also, Graves has shown chemistry with Makar and that cannot be undervalued. Im a jets fan and I would accept this deal to get Graves in the picture.
ALso, everyone needs to calm down about how old Graves is. 24 year old dmen are in their prime and he's playing like it. If the Avs got him locked up for 5 years at a reasonable cap hit they would have him during all his prime years...that's a good thing
Richard88 a aimé ceci.
27 avr. 2020 à 13 h 3
Démarrer sujet
John 3 16
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,622
Quoting: csick
I dont think Montreal accepts considering the amount of talent that could be found in the 2nd round this year

Montreal need to start thinking about players who can contribute sooner rather than later, and LHD is a glaring hole for them at the moment. Acquiring a cost-controlled 24 year old top 4 LHD is very difficult to do, and Graves is one of the view such players who will be available.

In terms of value, 2 2nd's seems reasonably fair considering that he has been playing like a Top 4 Dman. For comparison Alec Martinez recently brought in 2 2nd's and is 8 years older. Obviously Martinez is more proven, but Montreal need to build for the future so it's actually a good thing that Graves is still young.
27 avr. 2020 à 13 h 5
Démarrer sujet
John 3 16
Quoting: masterjuddi
I think that is fair value for Graves, but I don't think either team would want to make the deal honestly. Like csick said, there is a lot of talent in the 2nd round this year. Also, Graves has shown chemistry with Makar and that cannot be undervalued. Im a jets fan and I would accept this deal to get Graves in the picture.
ALso, everyone needs to calm down about how old Graves is. 24 year old dmen are in their prime and he's playing like it. If the Avs got him locked up for 5 years at a reasonable cap hit they would have him during all his prime years...that's a good thing

Thanks for your comment. I agree that Colorado would probably be hesitant to trade Graves at this stage, at least until Byram has been broken in.

It's certainly worth exploring Graves trade alternatives though. Colorado does have control of all their LHD's so they can choose to go in several different directions depending on the return they can get, and what their RFA's ask for.
27 avr. 2020 à 13 h 17
Rejoint: juin 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 12,187
thats a terrible return for Graves. Picks dont help them
27 avr. 2020 à 13 h 28
Go Jets Go
Rejoint: mars 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 4,314
Questions from a non-Avs fan...but can Zadorov play on the right side at all?
27 avr. 2020 à 13 h 48
Démarrer sujet
John 3 16
Quoting: coga16
thats a terrible return for Graves. Picks dont help them

In a vacuum you're probably right. But consider two things:

Firstly, Colorado needs to move one of Zadorov or Graves to make room for Byram, and whichever one stays will likely be permanently on the 3rd pairing beyond next season (or even as soon as December if Byram has a good start). Thus it might make sense to trade Graves while his value is highest - rather than waiting until his ice-time (and trade value) drops.

Secondly, picks don't help them now, but getting 2 high 2nd round picks in a deep draft would help set the Avs prospect pool up for years, which could be critical in keeping the team a contender beyond Mackinnon's new contract in 2023.
27 avr. 2020 à 14 h 1
Quoting: Richard88
In a vacuum you're probably right. But consider two things:

Firstly, Colorado needs to move one of Zadorov or Graves to make room for Byram, and whichever one stays will likely be permanently on the 3rd pairing beyond next season (or even as soon as December if Byram has a good start). Thus it might make sense to trade Graves while his value is highest - rather than waiting until his ice-time (and trade value) drops.

Secondly, picks don't help them now, but getting 2 high 2nd round picks in a deep draft would help set the Avs prospect pool up for years, which could be critical in keeping the team a contender beyond Mackinnon's new contract in 2023.

They don’t have to but they have the luxury to move a. Guy out and have byram slide in

Graves or zads on the team with byram helps the avs. Don’t move one of them for the sake of moving them for draft picks,

Prospects In the ahl that could be called up holds more value than future draft picks.
27 avr. 2020 à 14 h 21
Démarrer sujet
John 3 16
They don’t have to but they have the luxury to move a. Guy out and have byram slide in

Graves or zads on the team with byram helps the avs. Don’t move one of them for the sake of moving them for draft picks,

Prospects In the ahl that could be called up holds more value than future draft picks.

One of Graves or Zadorov (or Cole) needs to be moved this offseason, whether it is for picks, prospects, or in a hockey trade. We likely aren't going to start the season with the D group below because it makes no sense to have a $4m+ Dman eating nachos.

Graves --- Makar
Girard --- Johnson
Byram --- Zadorov
Cole

As for your last point, if you have a bunch of prospects in the AHL who's ELC's all end at roughly the same time that isn't ideal; it's better to stagger them somewhat so you have a steady supply of ELC's on your roster - and one of the best ways to do that is by acquiring draft picks.

Note that I'm not saying that we should trade players for picks "just for the sake of it". Rather, I'm saying that we should carefully assess the needs of the team, both in the short term AND long term, and if we have players who are expendable (like we have a LHD expendable now) then it makes sense to take the best offer - whether that is picks or prospects or roster players.
27 avr. 2020 à 14 h 38
One of Graves or Zadorov (or Cole) needs to be moved this offseason, whether it is for picks, prospects, or in a hockey trade. We likely aren't going to start the season with the D group below because it makes no sense to have a $4m+ Dman eating nachos.

Graves --- Makar
Girard --- Johnson
Byram --- Zadorov
Cole

As for your last point, if you have a bunch of prospects in the AHL who's ELC's all end at roughly the same time that isn't ideal; it's better to stagger them somewhat so you have a steady supply of ELC's on your roster - and one of the best ways to do that is by acquiring draft picks.

Note that I'm not saying that we should trade players for picks "just for the sake of it". Rather, I'm saying that we should carefully assess the needs of the team, both in the short term AND long term, and if we have players who are expendable (like we have a LHD expendable now) then it makes sense to take the best offer - whether that is picks or prospects or roster players.

again...they dont NEED to move anyone if they dont want to. Its not a great use of assets but they could have guys healthied like Zads or Cole bc they are promoting Byram, there is nothing wrong with one of them being healthied. Avs have the cap space to handle it for 1 year and that just means you have incredible depth. Its not the end of the world

Plus we really dont know if he is 100% a lock for next season. He should be, but you dont NEED to move anyone bc we dont know if hes going to be a. full time NHLer next season.

Like I said, if the right deal comes along for Graves you take it, if not you keep him. If the right deal comes along for Zads, you move him, if not keep him. Dont dump guys for no reason for Pennys on the dollar.
If you can move them in a deal that helps the Avs win today and be competitive, you do it.

Dont over think this
27 avr. 2020 à 17 h 4
Démarrer sujet
John 3 16
again...they dont NEED to move anyone if they dont want to. Its not a great use of assets but they could have guys healthied like Zads or Cole bc they are promoting Byram, there is nothing wrong with one of them being healthied. Avs have the cap space to handle it for 1 year and that just means you have incredible depth. Its not the end of the world

Plus we really dont know if he is 100% a lock for next season. He should be, but you dont NEED to move anyone bc we dont know if hes going to be a. full time NHLer next season.

Like I said, if the right deal comes along for Graves you take it, if not you keep him. If the right deal comes along for Zads, you move him, if not keep him. Dont dump guys for no reason for Pennys on the dollar.
If you can move them in a deal that helps the Avs win today and be competitive, you do it.

Dont over think this

Sure, we don't NEED to move anyone, really. But Zadorov is 1 year from UFA and needs a new contract. Do you go long term on him with $$$ even if he's only a 3rd pairing Dman on this team?

It's also silly to lose him for nothing in the expansion draft, so how do we protect him?

Planning ahead isn't "over thinking", it's making sure that you maximise your chances of keeping a strong roster in the long-term rather than for just a couple of seasons.
27 avr. 2020 à 17 h 39
Sure, we don't NEED to move anyone, really. But Zadorov is 1 year from UFA and needs a new contract. Do you go long term on him with $$$ even if he's only a 3rd pairing Dman on this team?

It's also silly to lose him for nothing in the expansion draft, so how do we protect him?

Planning ahead isn't "over thinking", it's making sure that you maximise your chances of keeping a strong roster in the long-term rather than for just a couple of seasons.

I never said you go long term with Zads. He signs his 1 year deal if there isnt a good deal to be had with him.
Hes not used as a 3rd pairing Dman on this team, he was 4th in 5v5 Icetime and 4th in PK. Lets not downplay that he is still has a role on the team and not some "3rd pairing Dman" bc a line up card puts him down there. He has value.

You move Graves or Zadorov in moves that you helping you win now, Not the draft pick kind, thats my whole point. Dont sell off guys who make meaningful contributions to your team for futures. They want to win now too. We are all on the Byram hype train but there is still a scenario that you move a guy for nothing and then Byram is back in Juniors. Now you really hurt your Dcore and have nothing to show for me

Dont be impatient
27 avr. 2020 à 17 h 56
Démarrer sujet
John 3 16
I never said you go long term with Zads. He signs his 1 year deal if there isnt a good deal to be had with him.
Hes not used as a 3rd pairing Dman on this team, he was 4th in 5v5 Icetime and 4th in PK. Lets not downplay that he is still has a role on the team and not some "3rd pairing Dman" bc a line up card puts him down there. He has value.

You move Graves or Zadorov in moves that you helping you win now, Not the draft pick kind, thats my whole point. Dont sell off guys who make meaningful contributions to your team for futures. They want to win now too. We are all on the Byram hype train but there is still a scenario that you move a guy for nothing and then Byram is back in Juniors. Now you really hurt your Dcore and have nothing to show for me

Dont be impatient

A 1 year deal takes Zadorov to UFA as he'll already have played 7 seasons by the 2021 offseason. So you lose him for nothing then.

I'm aware that he isn't a traditional "3rd pair" defenseman - that's precisely why I'm arguing that we shouldn't lose him for nothing - because he's more valuable than a 3rd pairing Dman.

You have a good point about not trading Zadorov/Graves until we know more about what we have in Byram at the NHL level.
29 avr. 2020 à 13 h 13
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 30
I dont see any future for Zadorov in Colorado.> He played less and less minutes as the season went on as Byram will take his spot on line 3 to start the year

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage