Forums/Armchair-GM

The Leafs Need To Shake Up The Core

Créé par: Angry_Canucklehead
Équipe: 2020-21 Maple Leafs de Toronto
Date de création initiale: 25 févr. 2020
Publié: 27 févr. 2020
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
This is not a rebuild, this is more like a re-design of the core and something like this would only happen if they don't get to, like, the third round.

That being said I think this is somewhat reasonable, although unrealistic. It could be argued the Leafs have too many high end skill players and no enough grittier two-way guys. Matthews Marner Nylander Kapanen and Johnsson are all players who I'd consider highly skilled but soft and weak defensively.

This is a team with far too much skill to have this little success. These ideas - bringing in two proven star defencemen in Pietrangelo and Ellis, as well as a veteran 2 way forward in Bonino as well as Alex Iafallo who I'd consider one of the league's best defensive forwards - create a large enough shake-up in the core that it should motivate and rejuvenate the whole team, and be a totally new Leafs team that is still very good now, but also is set up well for the future (I honestly think Reilly can become expendable by the time his contract is up as Rasmus Sandin will be very good and can fill his role on this theoretical second pairing for sure, Bonino would hit free agency giving enough money to sign both Hyman and Iafallo. The cap is expected to increase quite nicely after next season too which really helps). This team would be so good defensively, and would be extremely capable of creating offence from their defensive play and/or forecheck. If all else fails they have an outstanding goaltender capable of stealing games and a great defence to support him.

Ideally we're looking at a ton of minutes for this first line (20+ a game) which would be capable of not only scoring a ton of goals but also shutting down any other line. The second line is the skill line that I think would be counted on the most for goals and could see 1st-line minutes most nights. Bottom six will be relied on for energy and secondary scoring, as that top line is the shutdown line.

As for the defence I put Muzzin with Ellis and Rielly with Pietrangelo to balance size. I could see both pairs playing 22+ minutes a night - I'd trust the two pairs splitting the whole game but the third pair is quite good too. In the event of an injury on the blueline either Sandin or Holl could fill in no issue.
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
RFAANSCAP HIT
33 500 000 $
21 750 000 $
21 000 000 $
3925 000 $
3925 000 $
3925 000 $
3850 000 $
3850 000 $
3850 000 $
UFAANSCAP HIT
59 000 000 $
47 000 000 $
Transactions
TOR
  1. Bonino, Nick
  2. Ellis, Ryan
  3. Choix de 1e ronde en 2020 (NSH)
  4. Choix de 2e ronde en 2021 (NSH)
Détails additionnels:
Ellis gives them a true top pair defenceman, which they need so badly. Ellis is absolutely fantastic in his own end and would be perfect with Jake Muzzin in my opinion. Ellis can also log both power play and penalty kill minutes. He would fit about twenty times better than Tyson Barrie did.
Nick Bonino gives the Leafs an experienced, well respected two-way depth piece with a lot of playoff experience which includes winning the Cup with Pittsburgh.
NSH
  1. Dermott, Travis [Droits de RFA]
  2. Marner, Mitchell
Détails additionnels:
Nashville is underrated as a perennial playoff choker (minus 2017), and they need change. They also need an offensive superstar as they don't have a single player on pace for 30 goals, and the power play is abysmal. Marner gives them a top end superstar playmaker who would provide a massive lift to the offence, especially Filip Forsberg and Matt Duchene on the theoretical top line.
Travis Dermott gives them a possible top-four defenceman.
TOR
  1. Choix de 1e ronde en 2020 (DAL)
  2. Choix de 1e ronde en 2021 (DAL)
Détails additionnels:
More or less a way to shed salary for a big signing in free agency (Alex Pietrangelo). Dallas seemingly always needs forwards, Nylander has been very good but I believe he's one of the major reasons Toronto has struggled - I hate his defensive game and he seems so soft.
Kerfoot is good depth for Dallas.
TOR
  1. Choix de 1e ronde en 2020 (TOR)
CAR
  1. Andersen, Frederik
Détails additionnels:
As good as Freddy is, Lehner is a significant upgrade. That being said Andersen is far better than Petr Mrazek.
I don't know if this is a fair return, but remember even Barclay Goodrow is worth a first round pick if it's a late pick.
TOR
  1. Iafallo, Alex
Détails additionnels:
again, probably bad value (overpay) but this is just an idea. I really really think Iafallo would be loved in toronto because of his defensive game and versatility. I hate Kapanen and I think he's like nylander in the sense his effort level, tenacity, grit and aggressiveness are way too low. Iafallo is the opposite but rebuilding LA has little reason to keep him.
LAK
  1. Kapanen, Kasperi
  2. Choix de 1e ronde en 2020 (TOR)
Rachats de contrats
Transactions impliquant une retenue de salaire
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de NSH
Logo de DAL
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de VGK
Logo de VGK
Logo de TOR
Logo de CAR
Logo de COL
Logo de SJS
Logo de STL
Logo de WPG
Logo de TOR
Logo de DAL
Logo de TOR
Logo de NSH
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2284 500 000 $84 409 417 $0 $0 $90 583 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Kings de Los Angeles
2 425 000 $2 425 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
11 640 250 $11 640 250 $
C
UFA - 4
2 250 000 $2 250 000 $
AD, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 1
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 2
11 000 000 $11 000 000 $
C, AG
NMC
UFA - 5
925 000 $925 000 $
AD
UFA - 1
3 400 000 $3 400 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 3
Logo de Predators de Nashville
4 100 000 $4 100 000 $
C, AG
UFA - 1
1 750 000 $1 750 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
1 250 000 $1 250 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 2
1 000 000 $1 000 000 $
C
UFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $
C
UFA - 2
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
5 625 000 $5 625 000 $
DG
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo de Predators de Nashville
6 250 000 $6 250 000 $
DD
UFA - 7
7 000 000 $7 000 000 $
G
UFA - 5
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG
M-NTC
UFA - 2
9 000 000 $9 000 000 $
DD
UFA - 7
894 167 $894 167 $
DG
UFA - 2
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
DD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
1 650 000 $1 650 000 $
G
UFA - 2
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
700 000 $700 000 $
DG
UFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $
AD, AG
UFA

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
27 févr. 2020 à 13 h 39
Banni
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 7,855
I love how so many idiots on here keep saying the Leafs need to shake up their core because they can't win. Yeah lets just ignore that the two guys you are trading are 23 and under. The Leafs are still a super young team, they need adversity to grow and become winners. You and people like you treat these kids like they are all 30 year old vets who are going to be on the decline. They are not. You are being silly.
27 févr. 2020 à 13 h 41
Banni
Rejoint: août 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,154
prime example of why leaf fans get a bad rap, when its going good its unreal but its the end of the world when its going bad, if you think this team hant had success this year becasue of lack of"grit" you are way off. this team lacks consitency from the net out and which is why they are where they are. lack of defensive play as well. but to say its lack of grit is stupid. to call thos guys soft defenively is a boost, marner kills penalties and matthews d game has improved this year quite. nylander could backcheck some more for sure. its clear you are regurgitateing what you see on the internet. this team is a good team that cant saty consistent but consistnecy is what makes all these good teams great teams and they need to find it in order to be in that category
27 févr. 2020 à 13 h 43
Banni
Rejoint: août 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,154
ur trades suck as well
27 févr. 2020 à 13 h 44
Banni
Quoting: vr1995
prime example of why leaf fans get a bad rap, when its going good its unreal but its the end of the world when its going bad, if you think this team hant had success this year becasue of lack of"grit" you are way off. this team lacks consitency from the net out and which is why they are where they are. lack of defensive play as well. but to say its lack of grit is stupid. to call thos guys soft defenively is a boost, marner kills penalties and matthews d game has improved this year quite. nylander could backcheck some more for sure. its clear you are regurgitateing what you see on the internet. this team is a good team that cant saty consistent but consistnecy is what makes all these good teams great teams and they need to find it in order to be in that category

Don't lump us all into this nonsense. Fans like these are just idiots who don't understand anything about hockey. They just panic, listen to speculation and have no idea what they are doing because their whole understanding of hockey comes from playing video games.
27 févr. 2020 à 13 h 48
Banni
Quoting: vr1995
ur trades suck as well

I didn't even get far enough down to see the Kapanen trade. This is 100% a troll post this is not a Leaf fan. What a joke.
27 févr. 2020 à 14 h 0
Démarrer sujet
Wishin I Was Fishin
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 9
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
I love how so many idiots on here keep saying the Leafs need to shake up their core because they can't win. Yeah lets just ignore that the two guys you are trading are 23 and under. The Leafs are still a super young team, they need adversity to grow and become winners. You and people like you treat these kids like they are all 30 year old vets who are going to be on the decline. They are not. You are being silly.

look at this team though. They have looked disinterested, disgruntled and they're flat out terrible defensively and play with no consistency.
It can be argued they're already flaming out, they're on the fringe of a playoff spot now and the cap issues will get worse and worse each year.
How have teams like Calgary, Florida, Nashville, Philadelphia done by not changing their core? Now that two of them have they're looking much better, as for Calgary and Nashville they've got issues.
St. Louis was getting nowhere before they added O'Reilly or before guys like Parayko became major pieces.
The Penguins won Cups with defence and by surrounding their star centers with versatile players, of which most were very good defensively.
The Kings won with defence, goaltending and hard working defensive forwards. Kopitar Muzzin Doughty Brown Pearson etc are all defensive players who also excelled physically.
The Hawks won with great defence and two way forwards (Saad, Toews, Shaw, etc) as well as Patrick Kane.
The Capitals won because they played fantastic defensively. Ovi was a two way forward in the playoffs.
NONE of the Leafs' forwards outside of Zach Hyman fit the criteria for the type of support Matthews/Tavares need. One is not enough. The defence is super suspect, Jake Muzzin is the only one who can eat minutes and that's an issue. Ceci sucks, Rielly is soft and very weak defensively, same deal for Barrie. If you won Cups like that then I think San Jose would have three or four right now. They had Vlasic and Pavelski and that was about it for good defensive forwards.
You can't win when you have too many soft skill guys like Johnsson Kapanen Marner and Nylander on your wings and then Rielly and Barrie in the top 4. It just doesn't work. Caps don't win without defensive Ovi or guys like Wilson Kempny or Niskanen. Hawks don't win without guys like Saad Toews Keith Seabrook or Hjalamarsson. Pens had Crosby (who's defensive game is unmatched by anyone on the Leafs' roster and almost everyone in the league) but also without guys like Dumoulin Daley Rust or Kunitz.
27 févr. 2020 à 14 h 26
Rejoint: août 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 255
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood

I think some of the premise of this mock is in the right direction as a bruins fan. It’s a little blown out of proportion by giving away a bunch of the core. Giving away a corner stone piece like marner seems somewhat irrational but there are defensive struggles on the leafs. I made an unposted mock that included marner going to the wild for dumba greenway and a 1st. Dumba might not be the piece that the leafs are looking for but I was just kind of throwing it together. And another move for palmieri (with extension) that included Dermott and KK. I think adding greenway and maybe a guy like reaves would do the leafs a lot. The only tough part about playing the leafs is having to keep up with them scoring wise and the way the team plays more often than not doesn’t make it too tough. Adding some grit would help imo. Wouldn’t completely overhaul the core. Just a rivals outsiders perspective.
27 févr. 2020 à 14 h 41
Banni
Quoting: Anthony_Bruhvillier
look at this team though. They have looked disinterested, disgruntled and they're flat out terrible defensively and play with no consistency.
It can be argued they're already flaming out, they're on the fringe of a playoff spot now and the cap issues will get worse and worse each year.
How have teams like Calgary, Florida, Nashville, Philadelphia done by not changing their core? Now that two of them have they're looking much better, as for Calgary and Nashville they've got issues.
St. Louis was getting nowhere before they added O'Reilly or before guys like Parayko became major pieces.
The Penguins won Cups with defence and by surrounding their star centers with versatile players, of which most were very good defensively.
The Kings won with defence, goaltending and hard working defensive forwards. Kopitar Muzzin Doughty Brown Pearson etc are all defensive players who also excelled physically.
The Hawks won with great defence and two way forwards (Saad, Toews, Shaw, etc) as well as Patrick Kane.
The Capitals won because they played fantastic defensively. Ovi was a two way forward in the playoffs.
NONE of the Leafs' forwards outside of Zach Hyman fit the criteria for the type of support Matthews/Tavares need. One is not enough. The defence is super suspect, Jake Muzzin is the only one who can eat minutes and that's an issue. Ceci sucks, Rielly is soft and very weak defensively, same deal for Barrie. If you won Cups like that then I think San Jose would have three or four right now. They had Vlasic and Pavelski and that was about it for good defensive forwards.
You can't win when you have too many soft skill guys like Johnsson Kapanen Marner and Nylander on your wings and then Rielly and Barrie in the top 4. It just doesn't work. Caps don't win without defensive Ovi or guys like Wilson Kempny or Niskanen. Hawks don't win without guys like Saad Toews Keith Seabrook or Hjalamarsson. Pens had Crosby (who's defensive game is unmatched by anyone on the Leafs' roster and almost everyone in the league) but also without guys like Dumoulin Daley Rust or Kunitz.

Too long didn't read, you are a troll and I don't care what you have to say. Its ridiculous.
27 févr. 2020 à 14 h 46
Banni
Quoting: ngikas
I think some of the premise of this mock is in the right direction as a bruins fan. It’s a little blown out of proportion by giving away a bunch of the core. Giving away a corner stone piece like marner seems somewhat irrational but there are defensive struggles on the leafs. I made an unposted mock that included marner going to the wild for dumba greenway and a 1st. Dumba might not be the piece that the leafs are looking for but I was just kind of throwing it together. And another move for palmieri (with extension) that included Dermott and KK. I think adding greenway and maybe a guy like reaves would do the leafs a lot. The only tough part about playing the leafs is having to keep up with them scoring wise and the way the team plays more often than not doesn’t make it too tough. Adding some grit would help imo. Wouldn’t completely overhaul the core. Just a rivals outsiders perspective.

Its completely fair to say the Leafs need to find another higher end defenceman who shoots right. That is fair, to suggest any of the under 24 year old players need to be moved because they can't win is ****ing stupid. Boston has a bunch of vets who have learned all the lessons needed to get through the tough times. TO has 2 guys on their roster over 30. They are a super young team that has lessons to learn. Only in TO does their youth mean nothing, Leaf fans are too crazy and Leaf haters (Of which there are as many Leaf fans or likely far more) only want them to fail.

Also I am not directing this at you. More at this troll post and any other troll out here that just wants to fire people up to feed their own desire to feel big and important.
ngikas a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage