SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

So Who's Our Third Centre

9 févr. 2020 à 2 h 52
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 253
Modifié 9 févr. 2020 à 3 h 15
So, I still see two big issues remaining with this team.

One of them is the 3C slot, and nobody's talking about it. It's a critical position, for many reasons. Just look at the recent teams that made it far in the playoffs: the Bruins got Coyle at the deadline the year before, the Caps have Eller rooted in that role, and the Blues signed our own Bozak before their cup run.

Right now, Kerfoot is used on the wing, and he has been for a good part of the season. He reads the play well, and I like his contribution to the game. But I'm not convinced yet he's really the one to take on the role of 3C for years to come. In any case, I'd want our third centre to be able to take on critical defensive duties. Like a Cizikas or a Danault does. The problem is, the more time he spends away from 3C, the more ill-advised it would be to suddenly throw him back in the fold at the start of the playoffs.

Next there's Engvall, who was transitioned to centre in the AHL. He could eventually become our 3C. But I don't think he's close to being ready for that. He's better off on the wings for now, or piloting the fourth line to gain experience. Not an option for the playoffs, IMO.

So that leaves Spezza, who currently owns the 3C position by default. I'd say the way he plays this year, he's our best option for the playoffs (if we make them). Clearly, this wasn't planned like that. And I guess he's not a solution for next year, unless he still agrees to sign for little.

Is it worth worrying about this, or is Spezza the right person at 3C for the playoffs? There are players who could be fetched from selling teams, like Coleman or Pageau.

(Obviously, the other big issue was the blue line, with two 20-minute players out. But I assume Dubas is already working on that.)
17 févr. 2023 à 18 h 48
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982
It's 2023 and we still don't have an answer to this question
18 févr. 2023 à 0 h 35
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,034
Quoting: MatthewsFan
It's 2023 and we still don't have an answer to this question

ROR wink