Forums/Armchair-GM

Kreative Kapanen Trade

Créé par: newman23
Équipe: 2018-19 Blackhawks de Chicago
Date de création initiale: 15 févr. 2019
Publié: 15 févr. 2019
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
Disclaimer - Maybe this makes more sense in the offseason but I dont wanna redo it. Leafs shed ~3M in cap in the offseason while still improving the starting roster for next year. For a similar price tag Kapanen is still probably higher value than Saad, just bc of his age but both are 50point players you can slot on any line. However Leafs dont have a true top line LW. On a deep leafs offense hyman and marleau are ideally 2-3 line guys. Saad would look amazing with JT and Marner. Can play that Hyman type roll but is a much better scorer and just as gritty. Gus>>>Zaits especially for the price tag and term and can slot in on 2nd pair right side or 3rd pair left side after Gardiner leaves and singlehandedly dragged the hawks pp from last in the league to top 10. Hawks underpay on Sandin for eating cap and bc gap between gus and zaits is bigger than the one between kap and saad
Transactions
CHI
  1. Kapanen, Kasperi
  2. Sandin, Rasmus
  3. Zaitsev, Nikita
  4. Choix de 5e ronde en 2019 (TOR)
TOR
  1. Gustafsson, Erik
  2. Saad, Brandon (1 000 000 $ retained)
  3. Choix de 2e ronde en 2020 (CHI)
Transactions impliquant une retenue de salaire
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de CHI
Logo de CHI
Logo de CHI
Logo de BOS
Logo de TBL
Logo de TOR
Logo de CHI
Logo de ANA
Logo de CHI
Logo de CHI
Logo de CHI
Logo de CHI
Logo de CHI
Logo de CHI
Logo de CHI
Logo de CHI
Logo de CHI
Logo de CHI
Logo de CHI
Logo de CHI
Logo de CHI
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2479 500 000 $65 095 127 $1 232 500 $6 197 500 $14 404 873 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Blackhawks de Chicago
1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 2
10 500 000 $10 500 000 $
C
NMC
UFA - 5
2 625 000 $2 625 000 $
AD
NMC
UFA - 5
778 333 $778 333 $ (Bonis de performance132 500 $$132K)
AG, AD
UFA - 2
863 333 $863 333 $ (Bonis de performance2 475 000 $$2M)
C
UFA - 2
Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
863 333 $863 333 $
AD
UFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance2 850 000 $$3M)
AG, AD, C
UFA - 2
4 550 000 $4 550 000 $
C, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 3
925 000 $925 000 $
C
UFA - 1
863 333 $863 333 $ (Bonis de performance500 000 $$500K)
AD, AG
UFA - 1
2 775 000 $2 775 000 $
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
750 000 $750 000 $
C, AG, AD
UFA - 2
1 000 000 $1 000 000 $
AD, AG
NMC
UFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
5 538 462 $5 538 462 $
DG
NMC
UFA - 5
3 850 000 $3 850 000 $
DD
UFA - 4
6 000 000 $6 000 000 $
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
750 833 $750 833 $ (Bonis de performance107 500 $$108K)
DG
UFA - 1
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
DD
UFA - 6
3 000 000 $3 000 000 $
G
NMC
UFA - 1
872 500 $872 500 $
DG
UFA - 1
6 875 000 $6 875 000 $
DD
NMC
UFA - 6
767 500 $767 500 $ (Bonis de performance132 500 $$132K)
G
UFA - 1
865 000 $865 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $
DG
UFA - 4

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
15 févr. 2019 à 10 h 49
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 709
Quoting: exo2769
Good analysis! I appreciate the feedback. AND this is all for FUN! Cheers!

I have a different take, but these simply might be our biases toward our favorite teams...or just more knowledge of our own team. In my opinion...Gus is more valuable. The Blackhawks had the leagues WORST powerplay at the beginning of the year AND they were 28th all of last year. It's not like Toews/Kane are new to the Powerplay. (2) things happened. 1.) JC took over for Q and 2.) JC replaced Keith on the Power play with Gus. that happened mid November. Now they're 14th in the league and rising. Gus is also on pace to be the Hawks highest goal scoring dman since Chris Chelios in 1987. 30+ years ago. He's doing it with less than a full season too. (One Exception is Big Buf, BUT he played both forward and defense for the Hawks which is why I exclude him.) Also, Gus...a dman...that scores more than Kapanen...a forward that gets to play next to Matthews or Tavares! Gus has a $1.2M contract for next year. So while I do agree the RFA status of Kap is SOLID...another team could flip Gus next year if they wanted which also really increases Gus's trade value. $1.2M is crazy low.

I actually agree with @SammyT_51. Gus is a special offensive talent but Kaps game is more complete. If Gus had any consistency in his own end hed be a poor mans EK. I think Gus' value is higher ON the hawks than off it bc our pp is so bad and that where nearly all of Gus' value lies. Thats why his trade value is slightly below Kaps who holds value to any team while Gus is really only exceptionally valuable to a team that needs to improve their pp
exo2769 a aimé ceci.
15 févr. 2019 à 11 h 9
Rejoint: avr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,850
Quoting: newman23
Right. And have 2 rhd on the roster both of which are MAYBE 2nd pair guys. If they dump zaits they need a legit top 4 dman

So maybe they’d deal for Gustafsson then?
That’s reasonable
But thinking they’d take Saad is not
15 févr. 2019 à 11 h 11
exo2769
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 10,405
Modifié 15 févr. 2019 à 11 h 22
I actually agree with @SammyT_51. Gus is a special offensive talent but Kaps game is more complete. If Gus had any consistency in his own end hed be a poor mans EK. I think Gus' value is higher ON the hawks than off it bc our pp is so bad and that where nearly all of Gus' value lies. Thats why his trade value is slightly below Kaps who holds value to any team while Gus is really only exceptionally valuable to a team that needs to improve their pp

True, Gus on the defensive side isn't too great, but that could be said for a lot of players. ***Not intentially trying to enter a different conversation, but I am (I think) AND I'm purposely using extreme examples*** Look no further than Malkin. Over the last 4 years he's been the single most protected player in the entire NHL. Averaging 66% of his Even Strength Starts in the Offensive Zone...playing on the PP and NEVER on the PK. Yet it's agreed he's a HOFer. AND Eric Karlsson...2x Norris winner AND another sure fire HOFer that scores a TON, but is a minus for his CAREER! Yes agreed +/- is a very wonky stat, but this is egregious. I don't think the NHL in general values defense enough (NOT NEARLY ENOUGH), but it is what it is I guess
15 févr. 2019 à 11 h 20
Banni
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 7,855
@Logan_Ollivier @SammyT_51 You guys are both knowledable fans. Also Leafs fans. AND I'm admittedly a Hawks fan. Who do you guys think is worth more Kapanen or Gustafsson...and why?

Its an interesting question. I think they both have value that shifts depending on the team you are questioning. In this scenario, TO I feel would value Kapanen more. Not because he's necessarily better, but because of the situation on the team. TO doesn't need more left handed defence. They have a very strong left side already. Rielly, Muzzin and Dermott are all very good players and 2 of them still have room to grow as players. Kapanen is a good goal scoring forward who is excellent on the PK as well. So for this season, it doesn't really make sense to move in another lefty defenceman who wouldn't have near the opportunity or playing time he is getting in Chicago for Kapanen.

So for me the trade doesn't make sense. The inclusion of Sandin makes it a really bad trade but thats beyond your question. I think a better target would be Winnipeg who could really use a left handed puck moving defenceman and has some interesting young players who could help Chicago with a rebuild.
exo2769 a aimé ceci.
15 févr. 2019 à 11 h 34
Démarrer sujet
True, Gus on the defensive side isn't too great, but that could be said for a lot of players. ***Not intentially trying to enter a different conversation, but I am (I think) AND I'm purposely using extreme examples*** Look no further than Malkin. Over the last 4 years he's been the single most protected player in the entire NHL. Averaging 66% of his Even Strength Starts in the Offensive Zone...playing on the PP and NEVER on the PK. Yet it's agreed he's a HOFer. AND Eric Karlsson...2x Norris winner AND another sure fire HOFer that scores a TON, but is a minus for his CAREER! Yes agreed +/- is a very wonky stat, but this is egregious. I don't think the NHL in general values defense enough (NOT NEARLY ENOUGH), but it is what it is I guess

Completely agree. D is criminally undervalued, especially by fans who are quick to look at point leaders as a direct metric of value to a team. EK is a legend but has never and probably will never be a top 10 guy in his own end. Theres something to be said for guys like hjalmersson, tanev, etc who never get the recognition as top guys in the league (and are probably underpaid as a result) bc they dont score but have great +/- with 60% dz starts. On a deep playoff team Gus is a 3rd pair guy who plays the full 2 mins on the pp.
15 févr. 2019 à 11 h 34
Banni
Maybe but Kap or Nylander are the only guys that are expendable from an org need perspective and will actually get them a valuable return. Zaits is border on negative value and would leave them with no RHD. Brown wont shed enough cap and wont bring back more than a mid round pick. Marleau is still a good player but a huge risk for teams with his $$ and age

The notion that Nylander is expendable is so off base. Mark my words, as soon as next season, he will have one of the best contracts in the league. 6.9 million for a guy who can put up a point a game is a steal (He has 9 points in his last 10 games playing on the 3rd line, what would he do with Matthews?) Kap on the other hand is more expendable, I'll agree with that, but he also has earned a place on the team if he can be fit in, which I hope he understands and values. I see the best option for both himself and the team is a 1 year deal this summer. Sign for 3 mill or less for 1 year and then get a bigger deal once Marleau is off the books.

Most people on here seem to only see 1 or two options available for teams and that is a very narrow way of looking at things. A clever person will look at every option and create options that others don't see or want to see because they are too set in their own views. Dubas has proven himself to be creative and very forward thinking.
15 févr. 2019 à 11 h 41
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: LoganOllivier
The notion that Nylander is expendable is so off base. Mark my words, as soon as next season, he will have one of the best contracts in the league. 6.9 million for a guy who can put up a point a game is a steal (He has 9 points in his last 10 games playing on the 3rd line, what would he do with Matthews?) Kap on the other hand is more expendable, I'll agree with that, but he also has earned a place on the team if he can be fit in, which I hope he understands and values. I see the best option for both himself and the team is a 1 year deal this summer. Sign for 3 mill or less for 1 year and then get a bigger deal once Marleau is off the books.

Most people on here seem to only see 1 or two options available for teams and that is a very narrow way of looking at things. A clever person will look at every option and create options that others don't see or want to see because they are too set in their own views. Dubas has proven himself to be creative and very forward thinking.

No thats a good point. I just meant expendable from an organizational perspective. If you have 2 top 6 RW in marner and kap/nylander you dont NEED to be paying kap/Nylander 4-7m to play 3 line minutes. Its nice to have stud wingers on your top 3 lines but its also a luxury and it potentially also makes sense to deal one and allocate that money for another organizational need like RHD
15 févr. 2019 à 11 h 46
Banni
No thats a good point. I just meant expendable from an organizational perspective. If you have 2 top 6 RW in marner and kap/nylander you dont NEED to be paying kap/Nylander 4-7m to play 3 line minutes. Its nice to have stud wingers on your top 3 lines but its also a luxury and it potentially also makes sense to deal one and allocate that money for another organizational need like RHD

I understand the logic behind that thinking but on the flip side, unless you are moving them to get a meaningful upgrade somewhere else (Defence) then having 3 top line RW on a team that also has 3 Centres that are either legit #1's or #2's then you create massive matchup problems. Over the past 10 games, teams have had a huge problem handling the Leafs 3rd line. Nylander is a legit 1st line winger and Kadri is definitely a legit 2C and they are palying against 3rd pair defenceman and 3rd liners. Its a massive advantage and if you are going to sacrifice that depth, you better be getting a meaningful upgrade somewhere else. Which is why I don't think of these players as expendable. No high value asset is expendable, bottom 6 depth players are definitely expendable however. So if Brown starts lighting it up down the stretch, (lets say scores 10 goals in his next 20 games) some team could see him as potentially worth giving a shot higher in the lineup, which he'll never get that opportunity in Toronto. That makes him expendable. Anyone that is relatively easy to replace is someone who is expendable. Like Gardiner, is expendable, Dermott is his replacement and could already be better.
exo2769 a aimé ceci.
15 févr. 2019 à 11 h 49
Banni
Completely agree. D is criminally undervalued, especially by fans who are quick to look at point leaders as a direct metric of value to a team. EK is a legend but has never and probably will never be a top 10 guy in his own end. Theres something to be said for guys like hjalmersson, tanev, etc who never get the recognition as top guys in the league (and are probably underpaid as a result) bc they dont score but have great +/- with 60% dz starts. On a deep playoff team Gus is a 3rd pair guy who plays the full 2 mins on the pp.

If Gus were traded to TO, I don't see him getting any time on the PP. Which is another reason the trade doesn't really make much sense for TO. He's not exactly a defensive stalwart and he's definitely not replacing Rielly on the top PP, I am not sure he'd even get any time away from Gardiner on the 2nd unit. So what would happen is, he'd see his points drop significantly due to a lack of PP time. Montreal would be another better target to move Gus to, they are desperate for puck movers on the left side and may be willing to part with some good assets to get him.
15 févr. 2019 à 12 h 3
Démarrer sujet
I understand the logic behind that thinking but on the flip side, unless you are moving them to get a meaningful upgrade somewhere else (Defence) then having 3 top line RW on a team that also has 3 Centres that are either legit #1's or #2's then you create massive matchup problems. Over the past 10 games, teams have had a huge problem handling the Leafs 3rd line. Nylander is a legit 1st line winger and Kadri is definitely a legit 2C and they are palying against 3rd pair defenceman and 3rd liners. Its a massive advantage and if you are going to sacrifice that depth, you better be getting a meaningful upgrade somewhere else. Which is why I don't think of these players as expendable. No high value asset is expendable, bottom 6 depth players are definitely expendable however. So if Brown starts lighting it up down the stretch, (lets say scores 10 goals in his next 20 games) some team could see him as potentially worth giving a shot higher in the lineup, which he'll never get that opportunity in Toronto. That makes him expendable. Anyone that is relatively easy to replace is someone who is expendable. Like Gardiner, is expendable, Dermott is his replacement and could already be better.

I generally agree with this. Maybe expendable isnt the right word but if you can get a fair value return for Nylander or Kap that helps you elsewhere it raises the legitimate question of how necessary are they to the team. Theres no oganizational replacement for them but it entirely depends on what another team will offer for them. But agreed with the matchup point. It was special watching sharp vermette and teuvo terrorize teams bottom 6 in the playoffs 2015. I guess it depends what the leafs value more, an extremely deep forward core that can exploit matchups or a better top 4 defense that can shut down teams similar to the leafs. Also depends on how far your outlook is. Leafs might need another really solid D man to get past a team like tampa this year that can match the scoring depth of TOR. Or are the leafs more focused on winning sometimes in the next several years during matthews contact and think guys like liljegren and dermott and take that next step and start eating big minutes against top lines. Its not either-or obviously but if the leafs have a legit shot at the cup this year do they go all in or roll with what they have? it definitely impacts how you value players and construct your team.
15 févr. 2019 à 12 h 32
Banni
I generally agree with this. Maybe expendable isnt the right word but if you can get a fair value return for Nylander or Kap that helps you elsewhere it raises the legitimate question of how necessary are they to the team. Theres no oganizational replacement for them but it entirely depends on what another team will offer for them. But agreed with the matchup point. It was special watching sharp vermette and teuvo terrorize teams bottom 6 in the playoffs 2015. I guess it depends what the leafs value more, an extremely deep forward core that can exploit matchups or a better top 4 defense that can shut down teams similar to the leafs. Also depends on how far your outlook is. Leafs might need another really solid D man to get past a team like tampa this year that can match the scoring depth of TOR. Or are the leafs more focused on winning sometimes in the next several years during matthews contact and think guys like liljegren and dermott and take that next step and start eating big minutes against top lines. Its not either-or obviously but if the leafs have a legit shot at the cup this year do they go all in or roll with what they have? it definitely impacts how you value players and construct your team.

If their core was older, then going all in right now makes a little more sense. But really they should be a top team for the next 6-8 years at least. So with that in mind, why rush it and sacrifice high value players moving forward.

Back to Nylander for a moment, I don't think its even possible to get fair value for him.

1) His contract is going to be a steal, 6.9 million for a guy who is expected to be a point a game player is a fantastic deal.
2) Everyone seems to consider him a 60 point winger, lowering his value significantly which means he won't get good value.
3) If his points/dollar is way better than Marner or Matthews, that makes him even more valuable to the team.

In my opinion Nylander is almost untouchable, it would take an insanely good deal for me to consider moving him because his contract is going to look so good. Its like Pastrnak in Boston, he should be making so much more money, you can't even think about moving that sort of value.
15 févr. 2019 à 12 h 38
Démarrer sujet
If Gus were traded to TO, I don't see him getting any time on the PP. Which is another reason the trade doesn't really make much sense for TO. He's not exactly a defensive stalwart and he's definitely not replacing Rielly on the top PP, I am not sure he'd even get any time away from Gardiner on the 2nd unit. So what would happen is, he'd see his points drop significantly due to a lack of PP time. Montreal would be another better target to move Gus to, they are desperate for puck movers on the left side and may be willing to part with some good assets to get him.

tbh he reminds me a lot of Reilly on the pp. Effortless skating and makes great decisions with time and space
15 févr. 2019 à 12 h 41
Banni
tbh he reminds me a lot of Reilly on the pp. Effortless skating and makes great decisions with time and space

Sure, still though, a PP QB is not at all needed in TO. Dermott or Muzzin can also play the point on the PP. The one thing that Gus has that is attractive is his contract. Other teams would be far more likely to send a good package to acquire him. TO though isn't a good trading partner. Too many lefties already.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage