Forums/Armchair-GM

Blackhawk Fans, Need Some Feedback

Créé par: MG1986
Équipe: 2017-18 Blackhawks de Chicago
Date de création initiale: 17 avr. 2018
Publié: 17 avr. 2018
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
Blackhawks fans, I am doing a little research prior to posting my next GM thread. As a Leafs fan first, and a Blackhawks fan second, I am curious to know your thoughts on what it would take to pry Jonathan Toews away from Chicago. These are a few of the points of I am considering:

(1) At $10.5 million AAV over the next 4 seasons, his cap hit alone makes him tough to move without significant money going back, even if a team has cap room (ie. this may turn into a significantly large deal as a result)

(2) Stats alone cannot determine the worth of Toews, as he offers intangible qualities such as leadership, experience, etc.

(3) He has a history of injuries

(4) Would the Blackhawks actually ever considering moving him in they were offered a good deal and fair value?

Even though his contract to value ratio may seem like he will never get traded (and chances are he won't), there is always that chance. As always, thank you for your input.
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de CHI
Logo de NSH
Logo de CHI
Logo de TOR
Logo de NSH
Logo de CBJ
Logo de CHI
Logo de CHI
Logo de CHI
Logo de CHI
Logo de CHI
Logo de CHI
Logo de CHI
Logo de BOS
Logo de CHI
Logo de CHI
Logo de ANA
Logo de CHI
Logo de CHI
Logo de CHI
Logo de CHI
Logo de CHI
Logo de CHI
Logo de CHI
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2275 000 000 $64 467 295 $3 558 000 $1 565 000 $10 532 705 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 4
10 500 000 $10 500 000 $
C
NMC
UFA - 6
2 625 000 $2 625 000 $
AD
NMC
UFA - 6
1 200 000 $1 200 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
4 550 000 $4 550 000 $
C, AG
NMC
UFA - 4
5 275 000 $5 275 000 $
AD
NMC
UFA - 4
800 000 $800 000 $ (Bonis de performance200 000 $$200K)
AG, C
NTC
UFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance650 000 $$650K)
AD, C
UFA - 2
800 000 $800 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $
AG, AD, C
UFA - 2
778 333 $778 333 $ (Bonis de performance182 500 $$182K)
AG, AD
UFA - 3
717 500 $717 500 $ (Bonis de performance107 500 $$108K)
AD, AG
UFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
5 538 462 $5 538 462 $
DG
NMC
UFA - 6
6 875 000 $6 875 000 $
DD
NMC
UFA - 7
6 000 000 $6 000 000 $
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
650 000 $650 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 2
3 850 000 $3 850 000 $
DD
UFA - 5
750 000 $750 000 $
G
UFA - 2
650 000 $650 000 $
DG
UFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance425 000 $$425K)
DG/DD
UFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $
D
UFA - 2
650 000 $650 000 $
DD
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
17 avr. 2018 à 13 h 0
Rejoint: avr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,165
The biggest problem with Toews.....Toews is way overworked as he plays not only a two way game on the 1st line but also all the penalty minutes. That's the biggest issue. He should be on the man advantage, penalty kill and 1st line especially for his age. The two way game killed him the last two years especially given the weaknesses in Defense. Look at Crosby or Malkin; they are usually rested during penalty kills.

Not saying Toews can be a $10.5M player again, I've been one of his biggest critics, but he is still a solid 1st line C in the league if the Hawks can stop asking him to do everything and focus on offensive opportunities again. Look at the 3 cup teams and the years in between; not only was Toews younger and had less mileage but just as important, he had a solid D behind him and didn't play the hard minutes he's played the last two seasons.

That all said, the Hawks are very unlikely to trade him in the next year or two. Nothing is out of the question of course, but I just don't see it and especially not retaining salary. Anyone who would want Toews that bad, would have to pay over market value as he is still the face of the franchise and a fan favorite and in Chicago, those are big deals unlike some teams.
MG1986 a aimé ceci.
17 avr. 2018 à 13 h 5
Démarrer sujet
#LeafsFever
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 935
Quoting: ChiHawk
The biggest problem with Toews.....Toews is way overworked as he plays not only a two way game on the 1st line but also all the penalty minutes. That's the biggest issue. He should be on the man advantage, penalty kill and 1st line especially for his age. The two way game killed him the last two years especially given the weaknesses in Defense. Look at Crosby or Malkin; they are usually rested during penalty kills.

Not saying Toews can be a $10.5M player again, I've been one of his biggest critics, but he is still a solid 1st line C in the league if the Hawks can stop asking him to do everything and focus on offensive opportunities again. Look at the 3 cup teams and the years in between; not only was Toews younger and had less mileage but just as important, he had a solid D behind him and didn't play the hard minutes he's played the last two seasons.

That all said, the Hawks are very unlikely to trade him in the next year or two. Nothing is out of the question of course, but I just don't see it and especially not retaining salary. Anyone who would want Toews that bad, would have to pay over market value as he is still the face of the franchise and a fan favorite and in Chicago, those are big deals unlike some teams.

Yes, I agree, but as long as Quenville is your coach, he will play in every situation (ie continue to get overworked). I am only asking because it is clear with a team like the Leafs, they very much use the experience and leadership of a Toews, but with Matthews due up for a contract, Toews deal becomes completely undoable, unless there was a way to figure out fair value. It would obviously be a blockbuster deal regardless of how big the deal got. What if Nylander and Kadri were part of the return going the other way, but that would require the Blackhawks to give up Toews and Schmaltz?
17 avr. 2018 à 13 h 13
Quoting: MG1986
Yes, I agree, but as long as Quenville is your coach, he will play in every situation (ie continue to get overworked). I am only asking because it is clear with a team like the Leafs, they very much use the experience and leadership of a Toews, but with Matthews due up for a contract, Toews deal becomes completely undoable, unless there was a way to figure out fair value. It would obviously be a blockbuster deal regardless of how big the deal got. What if Nylander and Kadri were part of the return going the other way, but that would require the Blackhawks to give up Toews and Schmaltz?

No way would the Hawks trade Toews and Schmaltz for Nylander and Kadri. Personally I can't stand Kadri and don't see him fitting. Toronto would for sure overpay for Toews but I agree, he would be a great fit. It would take likely a high 1st round pick and a solid B+ vet for Toews to start the discussion with zero salary retained.
MG1986 a aimé ceci.
17 avr. 2018 à 13 h 15
Démarrer sujet
#LeafsFever
No way would the Hawks trade Toews and Schmaltz for Nylander and Kadri. Personally I can't stand Kadri and don't see him fitting. Toronto would for sure overpay for Toews but I agree, he would be a great fit. It would take likely a high 1st round pick and a solid B+ vet for Toews to start the discussion with zero salary retained.

The deal I am thinking of would be bigger than just those 4, but again, I am just looking for feedback at this point. I think Toews would really be a great fit anywhere, especially playing for a coach who he's played with (and has had much success with previously), minus fitting in his salary cap hit. Thanks for the feedback. It's much appreciated.
17 avr. 2018 à 13 h 16
Lets Go Blues
Rejoint: juin 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 4,365

Not sure about this argument (in bold). Toews was 17th among centers in ATOI this season. The guys above him at the top of the ice time list are Selke candidates (Kopitar, Barkov, Couterier) that scored at or near point-per-game pace. I.e. the top centers in the game right now are playing more / tougher minutes and scoring at a better rate than Toews. Kopitar led in TOI for centers and he's 30, so I'm not buying the age excuse. Obviously Toews isn't expected to be a top-10 scorer when the team around him was garbage this year, but he should be focused on stepping his game up, not looking for easier minutes. Reducing his usage would just lessen his value.
17 avr. 2018 à 14 h 0
Démarrer sujet
#LeafsFever
Quoting: A_K
Not sure about this argument (in bold). Toews was 17th among centers in ATOI this season. The guys above him at the top of the ice time list are Selke candidates (Kopitar, Barkov, Couterier) that scored at or near point-per-game pace. I.e. the top centers in the game right now are playing more / tougher minutes and scoring at a better rate than Toews. Kopitar led in TOI for centers and he's 30, so I'm not buying the age excuse. Obviously Toews isn't expected to be a top-10 scorer when the team around him was garbage this year, but he should be focused on stepping his game up, not looking for easier minutes. Reducing his usage would just lessen his value.

It's nice to get a contrasting opinion from a fan of a team that would have the chance to watch him more often than the Leafs. Like I mentioned in my preamble, it is more about just stats with Jonathan Toews, since Toews' stat line, even advance stat line, does not paint you a clear picture of what a team is getting when you have him in your lineup. Thanks for the feedback.
17 avr. 2018 à 14 h 10
Lets Go Blues
Rejoint: juin 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 4,365
Quoting: MG1986
It's nice to get a contrasting opinion from a fan of a team that would have the chance to watch him more often than the Leafs. Like I mentioned in my preamble, it is more about just stats with Jonathan Toews, since Toews' stat line, even advance stat line, does not paint you a clear picture of what a team is getting when you have him in your lineup. Thanks for the feedback.

No prob. Overall, if we're talking hypothetical trade value (because I don't think CHI would trade him), his cap hit is going to depress his value to an extent, but after seeing the guy play for a few years now, he brings exactly what you're mentioning - leadership, mental toughness... the dude is a warrior. I'm sure his value around the league is still very high. Similar to the Habs and Price, if Toews was traded, it would signal a full-scale rebuild, so I'd imagine the pieces coming back would include a top-10 pick, a top young roster player, and a top prospect. So for the Leafs, let's call it:

Nylander
Bracco/Grundstrom/Johnsson
1st round pick
2nd round pick

Just my guess, considering Toews reputation (and positional value). Warning: if you post this armchair you can expect 100 opinions on why this is too much / not enough... enjoy haha.
MG1986 a aimé ceci.
17 avr. 2018 à 14 h 15
Démarrer sujet
#LeafsFever
No prob. Overall, if we're talking hypothetical trade value (because I don't think CHI would trade him), his cap hit is going to depress his value to an extent, but after seeing the guy play for a few years now, he brings exactly what you're mentioning - leadership, mental toughness... the dude is a warrior. I'm sure his value around the league is still very high. Similar to the Habs and Price, if Toews was traded, it would signal a full-scale rebuild, so I'd imagine the pieces coming back would include a top-10 pick, a top young roster player, and a top prospect. So for the Leafs, let's call it:

Nylander
Bracco/Grundstrom/Johnsson
1st round pick
2nd round pick

Just my guess, considering Toews reputation (and positional value). Warning: if you post this armchair you can expect 100 opinions on why this is too much / not enough... enjoy haha.

Haha thanks. Whenever big names are included in deals, not to mention the Leafs are included, and specifically Nylander, you will always get a lot of contrasting opinions in each direction. The trade that I've been thinking up would be bigger, but it's hard to tell if it's remotely fair or not. I guess I'm mostly just curious if the Blackhawks could survive (still remain a playoff contender) without Toews. I would agree though that I am not sure we will ever find out.
17 avr. 2018 à 14 h 28
exo2769
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 10,816
Modifié 17 avr. 2018 à 14 h 36

I 100% agree with @A_K . Toews is supposed to be the hard nosed work horse that does all the intangibles. He's not a flashy player and as a Hawks fan, I don't want him to be one. He does need help and Saad WASN'T IT this past year! Him playing the PK is important. He's good at it. Him playing the #1C role that goes against the opposing team's top line is important. Him being ~58% at the dot matters. The contract is what it is. I guess I'm happier paying for actual achievements than the $8.5M Draisaitl's getting potential future success...oh by the way he may HAVE to play next to McDavid to rake up stats, but that's a different story entirely. Back to the point, I don't think he get's traded for Auston Matthews. Nothing to do with talent. I just don't see him ever being traded. I could see Kane getting traded. I could see Keith getting traded. Not Toews.

However, Kopitar is a hard comparison this year because (In my opinion) he's the Hart trophy winner. I'm not a prisoner to the single stat called points AND maybe I'd accept Giroux begrudgingly, but Kopitar should win the Selke (maybe 2nd to Berg), played the #1C role, played 22+ min a game, scored 92 points AND most impressively out of all the previous stats...he did it with DUSTIN F*ing Brown as his RW and a ROOKIE to his Left. INSANE, what he's done.
MG1986 a aimé ceci.
17 avr. 2018 à 16 h 30
Modifié 17 avr. 2018 à 16 h 37
Quoting: exo2769
I 100% agree with @A_K . Toews is supposed to be the hard nosed work horse that does all the intangibles. He's not a flashy player and as a Hawks fan, I don't want him to be one. He does need help and Saad WASN'T IT this past year! Him playing the PK is important. He's good at it. Him playing the #1C role that goes against the opposing team's top line is important. Him being ~58% at the dot matters. The contract is what it is. I guess I'm happier paying for actual achievements than the $8.5M Draisaitl's getting potential future success...oh by the way he may HAVE to play next to McDavid to rake up stats, but that's a different story entirely. Back to the point, I don't think he get's traded for Auston Matthews. Nothing to do with talent. I just don't see him ever being traded. I could see Kane getting traded. I could see Keith getting traded. Not Toews.

However, Kopitar is a hard comparison this year because (In my opinion) he's the Hart trophy winner. I'm not a prisoner to the single stat called points AND maybe I'd accept Giroux begrudgingly, but Kopitar should win the Selke (maybe 2nd to Berg), played the #1C role, played 22+ min a game, scored 92 points AND most impressively out of all the previous stats...he did it with DUSTIN F*ing Brown as his RW and a ROOKIE to his Left. INSANE, what he's done.

You have to remember; over the last 10 years, Toews has a lot of mileage. I'm willing TOI during the 10 years exceeds Kopitar considering 10 years of playoffs runs, 3 cups and 5 years deep runs. Also, remember the last two seasons the Hawks defense has been borderline horrible so it's not just TOI it's also how much Toews is playing 2 way and getting burnt out up and down the ice; this to me is much more important then looking at TOI in isolation. That all being said, Toews may be aging faster too, every athlete is different but bottom line, Toews can not be expected to play on the man advantage, penalty kill, two way game as the 1st line C and 10 years of playoffs without expecting a decline in production. Q needs to adjust his use of him and Toews his game and he can still be great just like Crosby or Malkin have done.
MG1986 a aimé ceci.
17 avr. 2018 à 16 h 46
exo2769
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 10,816
You have to remember; over the last 10 years, Toews has a lot of mileage. I'm willing TOI during the 10 years exceeds Kopitar considering 10 years of playoffs runs, 3 cups and 5 years deep runs. Also, remember the last two seasons the Hawks defense has been borderline horrible so it's not just TOI it's also how much Toews is playing 2 way. What would be interesting, put Toews on the wing and watch him produce.

Great stuff, The defense has been very bad for sure. As far as ice time...Kopitar's probably right up there with Toews regarding TOI...,maybe not 100% of the way there, but pretty close. They won 2 cups and a number of DEEP playoff runs around the same time too. AND I don't want to sound like a Toews hater because I'm very much not. I own a Toews Jersey, proudly wear it to the games, but I actually don't think he'd be as successful @ wing as people think. He's just built for the center position. AND I'm sure this is more against my memory bank, but I would have to youtube Toews slapshot to remember what it looked like. That's somewhat facetious because he's more of a snapshot player, I just can't remember the last time I've seen him truly wind up.
MG1986 a aimé ceci.
17 avr. 2018 à 17 h 2
HawksFan28
Rejoint: déc. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 138
The problem is that Bowman couldn't justify trading Toews (Keith, Kane or Seabrook for that matter).... Toews is the face of the franchise and a part of the foundation

Sure, if you take the reality out of the situation and it was Lou that was inquiring and Bowman was listening this is what I would expect as a Hawks fan:

Chicago Blackhawks
Nylander
Kadri
Gardnier
2018 first round pick

Toronto Maple Leafs
Toews
Forsling
Duclair

Of course in reality, Leafs don't do that and Bowman doesn't take offers on Toews... Heck I doubt a GM's would even think about asking about Toews - I assume they all know he's untouchable.
MG1986 a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage