Markstrom not happy with Conroy

Créé par: NHLfan10506
Équipe: 2023-24 Devils du New Jersey
Date de création initiale: 1 mars 2024
Publié: 1 mars 2024
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
Jacob Markstrom:

“The whole situation and everything, am I happy about that? No I’m not. And I think the whole trade situation could’ve been handled differently from up top.”

And then Pierre LeBrun…

“The Devils have informed the Flames they would be willing now to take on Markstrom without salary retention.”

So if the price was Holtz for Markstrom and some retention…does that mean price goes down? Or maybe, taken with Seravalli’s comments earlier about Hanifin nuking trades, does it mean Devils could be back in okay for the preferred combo package?

Either way, Conroy has appears to have lost his leverage here.
Transactions
NJD
  1. Hanifin, Noah
  2. Markström, Jacob
Détails additionnels:
Zero retention
CGY
  1. Bahl, Kevin
  2. DeSimone, Nick
  3. Holtz, Alexander
  4. Vanecek, Vitek
  5. Choix de 3e ronde en 2024 (NJD)
  6. Choix de 2e ronde en 2025 (NJD)
Rachats de contrats
Transactions impliquant une retenue de salaire
Frais appliqués
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de COL
Logo de NJD
Logo de NSH
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de DAL
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2283 500 000 $73 948 333 $422 500 $4 632 500 $9 551 667 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Devils du New Jersey
2 125 000 $2 125 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 1
8 000 000 $8 000 000 $
C
UFA - 7
7 875 000 $7 875 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 8
6 000 000 $6 000 000 $
AG, AD
NMC
UFA - 4
7 250 000 $7 250 000 $
C
UFA - 4
894 167 $894 167 $ (Bonis de performance400 000 $$400K)
AD, C
RFA - 1
8 800 000 $8 800 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 8
3 150 000 $3 150 000 $
C, AG
NTC
UFA - 3
1 000 000 $1 000 000 $
AD, C
UFA - 2
1 000 000 $1 000 000 $
AG, C
UFA - 1
775 000 $775 000 $
C
UFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $
AG, AD
RFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
Logo de Flames de Calgary
1 237 500 $1 237 500 $
DG
M-NTC
UFA - 1
918 333 $918 333 $ (Bonis de performance3 250 000 $$3M)
DD
RFA - 3
Logo de Flames de Calgary
6 000 000 $6 000 000 $
G
NMC
UFA - 3
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance925 000 $$925K)
DG/DD
RFA - 2
4 400 000 $4 400 000 $
DD
UFA - 4
850 833 $850 833 $ (Bonis de performance57 500 $$58K)
G
RFA - 1
3 400 000 $3 400 000 $
DG
UFA - 5
1 850 000 $1 850 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
1 350 000 $1 350 000 $
AD
UFA - 2
9 000 000 $9 000 000 $
DD
NMC
UFA - 5
1 100 000 $1 100 000 $
DG/DD, AG
UFA - 1
1 400 000 $1 400 000 $
C
RFA - 1
800 000 $800 000 $
DD
RFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
2 mars à 5 h 7
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 19,777
Quoting: BruinsWoahWoah
This is what I have been speculating as well. For this reason, I feel like Hanifin either ends up in Boston or Tampa and given the assets/cap space next year situations I am guessing he is going to be in Boston and the package won't be as big as people would have thought. Similar to a Taylor Hall trade from Buffalo to Boston.

Hall has a full NTC, Hanifin can only block 8 teams. You sound like the Habs fans that said they were 100% getting Dubois. Or when Blues fans were 100% convinced they were getting Matthew Tkachuk. Calgary will work with Hanifin to an extent to send him somewhere he wants but if the return isn't as good as someone else will offer them to simply be a rental they will choose the rental route
2 mars à 5 h 46
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 18,568
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Yes. He is not happy about how his name got out, how he was asked if he would waive, and then how nothing happened. It affected his game, and the teams game for like a week and a half. They never should have asked him if he would waive if they weren't 100% going to trade him, the fact that he agreed to waive never should have been made public until a trade was made.

Point fingers at whoever you want but there was a lot of smoke saying the deal was essentially done and then someone pulled out. I am personally under the impression that it was Fitzy who backed off because Daws strung a few good games together, as well as maybe other reasons (people say he didn't like the idea of Conroy asking other teams or something). On top of that I am also pretty confident that Conroy would not have approached Markstrom if he did not think they had a deal ready. But none of us know for sure what happened behind those closed doors. Regardless, he is not asking for a trade, nor saying he is mad he hasn't been traded.

I believe there was a longer conversion/exchanging of ideas going back months between the two GMs. Conroy named a specific price on Markstrom and told Fitzy, he wasn’t going to approach the goalie, who had full NMC, until that price was met. Fitzy eventually relented and made an offer with Conroy’s desired piece included.

it was a two-part deal. Fitzy was okay overpaying on one piece (Markstrom) because he felt like he could make it up elsewhere in second piece (Hanifin).

Something like:
(1) Holtz for Markstrom (~$2m retained) (as been reported)
(2) Bahl plus picks for Hanifin (ballpark guess)

Part one met Conroy’s ask, so Conroy went to get Markstrom’s waiver. Markstrom waived his NTC. When Conroy got back to Fitzy, he said, “we approve part one…but will want to market to beat part two”. Fitzy said, “no deal, it’s both or nothing”. So we waited as CGY collected offers on Hanifin from BOS, FLA, TBL (maybe others) in case they beat what NJD had in part two. Conroy preferred one of those deals to NJD’s offer. Since there was only one bid for Markstrom from NJD, who wanted combo deal, when Conroy told NJD no on Hanifin portion, he essentially was taking Markstrom off the market. He then announced Markstrom would remain for rest of season (and he would narrow in on Hanifin offers).

Markstrom, who had thought he was going to be traded to New Jersey, then became upset at that news. He was now being told to stay (after he had lost half his blueline and and had once believed he would shortly become a Devil). In his next Media Availability, he says he is unhappy with how Conroy handled situation.

Conroy realized his star was unhappy, gets back on phone with Fitzy send asks for a price on Markstrom alone (without retention). Fitzy said he will do Markstrom without retention (but would pay less for Hanifin). Markstrom’s agent tells LeBrun that Fitzy is willing to pay for Markstrom without retention to put pressure on Conroy to move his client.

Hence, here we are. Same place as few days ago. Fitzy wants both, will forego retention on Markstrom, but will lower price on Hanifin below what Conroy wants (probably a return without a 2024 1st round pick since none of the competitors, BOS, FLA, TBL, own a 2024 1st round pick).

Conroy has to decide to sell Markstrom at 100 cents on dollar along with Hanifin at 90 cents on dollar….or just sell Hanifin at 100 cents on dollar (and keep Markstrom)
2 mars à 6 h 13
Quoting: NHLfan10506
I believe there was a longer conversion/exchanging of ideas going back months between the two GMs. Conroy named a specific price on Markstrom and told Fitzy, he wasn’t going to approach the goalie, who had full NMC, until that price was met. Fitzy eventually relented and made an offer with Conroy’s desired piece included.

it was a two-part deal. Fitzy was okay overpaying on one piece (Markstrom) because he felt like he could make it up elsewhere in second piece (Hanifin).

Something like:
(1) Holtz for Markstrom (~$2m retained) (as been reported)
(2) Bahl plus picks for Hanifin (ballpark guess)

Part one met Conroy’s ask, so Conroy went to get Markstrom’s waiver. Markstrom waived his NTC. When Conroy got back to Fitzy, he said, “we approve part one…but will want to market to beat part two”. Fitzy said, “no deal, it’s both or nothing”. So we waited as CGY collected offers on Hanifin from BOS, FLA, TBL (maybe others) in case they beat what NJD had in part two. Conroy preferred one of those deals to NJD’s offer. Since there was only one bid for Markstrom from NJD, who wanted combo deal, when Conroy told NJD no on Hanifin portion, he essentially was taking Markstrom off the market. He then announced Markstrom would remain for rest of season (and he would narrow in on Hanifin offers).

Markstrom, who had thought he was going to be traded to New Jersey, then became upset at that news. He was now being told to stay (after he had lost half his blueline and and had once believed he would shortly become a Devil). In his next Media Availability, he says he is unhappy with how Conroy handled situation.

Conroy realized his star was unhappy, gets back on phone with Fitzy send asks for a price on Markstrom alone (without retention). Fitzy said he will do Markstrom without retention (but would pay less for Hanifin). Markstrom’s agent tells LeBrun that Fitzy is willing to pay for Markstrom without retention to put pressure on Conroy to move his client.

Hence, here we are. Same place as few days ago. Fitzy wants both, will forego retention on Markstrom, but will lower price on Hanifin below what Conroy wants (probably a return without a 2024 1st round pick since none of the competitors, BOS, FLA, TBL, own a 2024 1st round pick).

Conroy has to decide to sell Markstrom at 100 cents on dollar along with Hanifin at 90 cents on dollar….or just sell Hanifin at 100 cents on dollar (and keep Markstrom)

That is quite an elaborate prediction. And you are welcome to believe whatever you want, but I think you are still completely out to lunch on most of this.
- Your prediction on the original Markstrom trade is absolutely wrong. Holtz has value but Calgary is not desperate enough for a winger that they would retain on Markstrom for Holtz alone. There was certainly a pick attached, at least a 2nd and very possibly a 1st
- A package around Bahl for Hanifin? Bahl is not worth that much, he is the throw-in piece in a Hanifin deal
- Markstrom did think he was staying in New York during that road trip but a trade never happened. The defensemen being traded is irrelevant. He is unhappy because the fact that he waived his NMC got leaked. It caused stress in the dressing room. Take Kuzmenko for example. Nobody found out he waived his clause until the trade was announced, But he was asked to waive multiple days in advance as Calgary was given permission to talk to him.
- Conroy is not desperate to move Markstrom. All the reports are that Fitzy made the call to reengage in negotiations, this is the quote from LeBrun - "After a failed trade attempt a few weeks ago, I’m told New Jersey reached out again to the Calgary Flames this week to say it was still interested in the 34-year-old netminder. And in fact, I believe the Devils are now willing to make that trade without the Flames having to retain salary, which was a sticking point last time around (or at least the asset cost on retaining salary was)."
- Calgary is not limited to trading Hanifin to those 3 teams. Hanifin as very little control over his destination but as I said in a previous post Calgary will help him go to where he wants up until those offers stop being better than teams looking to simply rent him. They haven't given him permission to talk to anyone yet but they very likely will. To continue this point, there has been very little linkage between Hanifin and Jersey over the last month or so. With the return of Siegenthaler I highly doubt NJD would pull the trigger on Hanifin.
2 mars à 9 h 38
Démarrer sujet
That is quite an elaborate prediction. And you are welcome to believe whatever you want, but I think you are still completely out to lunch on most of this.
- Your prediction on the original Markstrom trade is absolutely wrong. Holtz has value but Calgary is not desperate enough for a winger that they would retain on Markstrom for Holtz alone. There was certainly a pick attached, at least a 2nd and very possibly a 1st
- A package around Bahl for Hanifin? Bahl is not worth that much, he is the throw-in piece in a Hanifin deal
- Markstrom did think he was staying in New York during that road trip but a trade never happened. The defensemen being traded is irrelevant. He is unhappy because the fact that he waived his NMC got leaked. It caused stress in the dressing room. Take Kuzmenko for example. Nobody found out he waived his clause until the trade was announced, But he was asked to waive multiple days in advance as Calgary was given permission to talk to him.
- Conroy is not desperate to move Markstrom. All the reports are that Fitzy made the call to reengage in negotiations, this is the quote from LeBrun - "After a failed trade attempt a few weeks ago, I’m told New Jersey reached out again to the Calgary Flames this week to say it was still interested in the 34-year-old netminder. And in fact, I believe the Devils are now willing to make that trade without the Flames having to retain salary, which was a sticking point last time around (or at least the asset cost on retaining salary was)."
- Calgary is not limited to trading Hanifin to those 3 teams. Hanifin as very little control over his destination but as I said in a previous post Calgary will help him go to where he wants up until those offers stop being better than teams looking to simply rent him. They haven't given him permission to talk to anyone yet but they very likely will. To continue this point, there has been very little linkage between Hanifin and Jersey over the last month or so. With the return of Siegenthaler I highly doubt NJD would pull the trigger on Hanifin.

Markstrom --

You mixing in old with new on Markstrom piece.

Old: Holtz in a deal for Markstrom. Retention was the hold up (likely the cost of retention) and the trade was otherwise agreed to.

New: The trade was Holtz for Markstrom with $2m in retention (per Friedman, Pagnotta, even a Flames reporter have said)

Honestly, I have seen all sorts of combinations in Markstrom deal from Calgary fans and I have always asked for a source. “Mercer+Casey+1st” was one another fan said that Fitzy offered and Conroy rejected. “Holtz+1st” seems to be a common one. There has not been one single report of those packages…and many of it being Holtz alone or Holtz plus minor piece to cover retention.

If Markstrom was frustrated with his name being out there, why has he not addresses in last few weeks? And if his frustration was solely around all the talk/rumors, it’s pretty damning evidence that the leaks were from Calgary side, no? But the real question is why does he wait to air his frustration until after being told, “you’re staying”? The most logical conclusion is, “because he wants to go”.

(On which side has been responsible for “leaks”…it’s not from Devils side. Fitzy runs a tight ship…and there have never been leaks before. Many of his moves have come at total surprise. If anything, he has a history of leading breadcrumbs in wrong direction while he pursues his target. It appears all of the leaks in this account appear to have come from CGY side).

Hanifin --

On the Hanifin trade part, I have no idea what the pieces were (Bahl+ is just a guess). Another Flames fan said Calgary has zero interest in Casey (but I have not seen that anywhere). Could be a player off the roster…maybe a couple pieces…I have no idea. Let’s call the Hanifin’s return, “TBD package”.

Fitzy was likely putting Holtz on table for Markstrom….only if he got Hanifin for TBD package. He was not offering as two separate deals. Otherwise, there is no reason the Markstrom side would not have gotten done.

I am also guessing that by the list of teams…by the list that has been reported to be interested in Hanifin….and that he is interested in extending with….BOS, FLA, NJD, TBL. NJD has the deepest prospect pool and best picks.

2024 picks
-- BOS: 128, 160, 192
-- FLA: 97, 129, 146, 161, 193, 225
-- NJD: 14, 79, 143, 155, 175
-- TBL: 83, 147, 179, 194, 202, 211

The pick values of entire draft boards
-- BOS: 0.7 (2025: ~4.7)
-- FLA: 1.5 (2025: ~3.4)
-- NJD: 7.4 (2025: ~6.8)
-- TBL: 1.6 (2025 ~2.9)

In fact, NJD 1st round pick this year is worth more than each of these teams entire 2024 and 2025 draft slates. Our pick is currently 10th according to Tankathon, 13th according to CapFriendly.

So if 1st offered in this deal, one would think NJD has advantage if teams limited to those four. But Conroy has clearly been looking for young players over picks (based on previous trades).
2 mars à 9 h 42
Démarrer sujet
Yes. He is not happy about how his name got out, how he was asked if he would waive, and then how nothing happened. It affected his game, and the teams game for like a week and a half. They never should have asked him if he would waive if they weren't 100% going to trade him, the fact that he agreed to waive never should have been made public until a trade was made.

Point fingers at whoever you want but there was a lot of smoke saying the deal was essentially done and then someone pulled out. I am personally under the impression that it was Fitzy who backed off because Daws strung a few good games together, as well as maybe other reasons (people say he didn't like the idea of Conroy asking other teams or something). On top of that I am also pretty confident that Conroy would not have approached Markstrom if he did not think they had a deal ready. But none of us know for sure what happened behind those closed doors. Regardless, he is not asking for a trade, nor saying he is mad he hasn't been traded.

If true, you are confirming all the leaks have been coming from CGY side.

Which runs counter to the whole narrative that “Fitzy is desperate”…and would make it more likely that pressure is on Conroy to move him.
dgibb10 a aimé ceci.
2 mars à 16 h 46
Quoting: NHLfan10506
If true, you are confirming all the leaks have been coming from CGY side.

Which runs counter to the whole narrative that “Fitzy is desperate”…and would make it more likely that pressure is on Conroy to move him.

I mean it was the CalgaryPuck people who were saying the trade talk picked up and a deal was almost done. More than likely they were more connected with Calgary than Jersey.

I have no idea how that is relevant to who is desperate. Again, LeBrun said Fitz called Calgary back
2 mars à 16 h 48
I Love J Boqvist
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 3,242
I mean it was the CalgaryPuck people who were saying the trade talk picked up and a deal was almost done. More than likely they were more connected with Calgary than Jersey.

I have no idea how that is relevant to who is desperate. Again, LeBrun said Fitz called Calgary back

Based on the fanbases I can say 1 side is much more desperate to get this deal done and it certainly isn't NJD fans
2 mars à 17 h 15
Quoting: dgibb10
Based on the fanbases I can say 1 side is much more desperate to get this deal done and it certainly isn't NJD fans

Lol what? Calgary fans are more than happy keeping Markstrom so that's not true at all

But fans are not players, coaches or GM's so their opinion is irrelevant.

"When you get saves it's much easier to win" - Jack Hughes
"I thought our goalies really struggled in this one" - Lindy Ruff

those are the relevant people voicing their opinions
2 mars à 17 h 38
Démarrer sujet

I was more pushing back, generally, to the “Fitzy is desperate, so will overpay” narrative that seems to be so common from Calgary fans. It runs counter to everything we know about Fitzgerald. (If anything, Fitzy is not desperate enough).

It’s also important to understand the culture in Devils front office. They do not leak. They do not think short-term. Don’t make big moves in reaction. Their owners come from Private Equity, a very slow, methodical and hands-on business of investing into normally 7-year windows. Those are the guys Fitzy reports to.
3 mars à 10 h 41
Rejoint: nov. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 360
Hall has a full NTC, Hanifin can only block 8 teams. You sound like the Habs fans that said they were 100% getting Dubois. Or when Blues fans were 100% convinced they were getting Matthew Tkachuk. Calgary will work with Hanifin to an extent to send him somewhere he wants but if the return isn't as good as someone else will offer them to simply be a rental they will choose the rental route

Yeah but he also has the power to tell teams he's not going to extend and that limits the options as a rental.

We'll see though.
3 mars à 13 h 16
Yeah but he also has the power to tell teams he's not going to extend and that limits the options as a rental.

We'll see though.

No it just makes him a rental
3 mars à 14 h 29
Démarrer sujet

We'll see though.

No it just makes him a rental

He is a rental. There is one market. One price. It’s not one price for rental Hanifin, another price for extended Hanifin. It’s just one price (presumedly the highest price). He can block to 8-teams.

My guess is that the ‘he will only sign in these places’ is just gamesmanship from GMs. If this is really down to BOS, FLA, TBL…there are probably two games going on here (one, getting the player…and two, driving up the price if you don’t get the player). I would not be surprised to see at least one of those teams making noise just to put the heat on their rivals (and no real intention of adding the player). Happens all the time (Devils did it with Gaudreau and PHI, NYI).

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage