SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Detroit Red Wings

Rasmussen will have a Tage Thompson-like breakout year

14 juin 2023 à 14 h 56
Rejoint: mars 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 15
Without a doubt, Michael Rasmussen is on the precipice of a breakout year that mirrors Tage Thompson's exceptional 2023 season. In the 2022-23 season, Rasmussen proved his worth by amassing 29 points in 56 games before an unfortunate injury ended his season prematurely​​. His invaluable contribution to the Red Wings team, which includes his size, penalty-killing skills, and leadership, was made glaringly evident by their struggle in his absence​​.

A significant catalyst for Rasmussen's imminent rise is his successful transition from center to wing. This change brought about a noticeable uptick in his offensive prowess, a development that aligns him perfectly for a transformative season​​. His team has taken note of his effective forechecking ability and productive partnerships, particularly with Andrew Copp, setting the stage for a dramatic increase in his point totals.

Bearing the hallmarks of Thompson's 2023 season, where he garnered a stunning 94 points in 78 games​​, Rasmussen's upcoming season is ripe for a similar meteoric rise. His steady improvement, strategic positional shift, and undeniable value to his team all converge toward one inevitable outcome: a breakout year. The stage is set, the potential is high, and Michael Rasmussen is undeniably primed to skyrocket to new heights.

Statistic Projected Value
Games Played 82
Goals 25
Assists 39
Total Points 64
Penalty Minutes 50
Plus/Minus +10
aedoran a aimé ceci.
14 juin 2023 à 15 h 2
RetireFedorov
Rejoint: sept. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 745
Id be happy with 40-50 out of him
aedoran a aimé ceci.
14 juin 2023 à 15 h 3
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 1,268
I love Ras but probably not.
aedoran, Pompadour_de_Armstrong, Zettersyukstrom88 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
14 juin 2023 à 15 h 8
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,479
His ceiling seems to be 40-50 point player

He’s shaking off the bust label but I can’t see him being much more then that
aedoran et Steven_Stamkos a aimé ceci.
14 juin 2023 à 15 h 8
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 339
Not sure why tage is your comparable when the progression you site is completely different from his. Tages 2022 campaign looked like he was destined for the minors again. Ras is doing great, tage moved to center, and most importantly he improved drastically as a puck handler instead of just being a shooter.
They're kinda completely different players. That being said i look forward to seeing it.
14 juin 2023 à 15 h 42
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: DDossett
Not sure why tage is your comparable when the progression you site is completely different from his. Tages 2022 campaign looked like he was destined for the minors again. Ras is doing great, tage moved to center, and most importantly he improved drastically as a puck handler instead of just being a shooter.
They're kinda completely different players. That being said i look forward to seeing it.

While I appreciate your perspective, I would argue that Tage Thompson and Michael Rasmussen are comparable in terms of their potential for a breakout season. I agree that they are different types of players and that their progression paths diverge. However, the comparison lies in the potential for player development, not their specific style of play or role on their respective teams.

Thompson's 2022 campaign might not have been stellar, but the important factor to consider is his growth and eventual breakout in the 2023 season. The point of the comparison is not to match their exact trajectories but to underscore that players can have a significant leap in performance even if they initially seem to be struggling. Both players were high draft picks who didn't immediately live up to expectations, but they showed consistent improvement over time.

Rasmussen, like Thompson, has shown signs of potential, and his versatility and work ethic are commendable. His transition from center to wing, and his overall adaptability, signal an upward trajectory, not unlike Thompson's improvement as a puck handler.

Lastly, let's remember that it's hockey we're talking about, not a synchronized swimming routine. Players don't have to mirror each other's performances to have similar career arcs. So while Thompson and Rasmussen might be as similar as apples and hockey pucks, when it comes to their potential for breakout seasons, they're skating on the same ice. I look forward to seeing Rasmussen's career unfold, as I'm sure you do too.
14 juin 2023 à 15 h 48
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: IconicHawk
His ceiling seems to be 40-50 point player

He’s shaking off the bust label but I can’t see him being much more then that

I get it, you're doubting Michael Rasmussen based on his past performances. But let me school you on why your weak projection is gonna fall flat on its face:

Versatility and Adaptability: Rasmussen ain't some one-trick pony, alright? He's shown mad versatility, switching positions from center to wing, and guess what? He actually improved in that new role. When he was playin' on the wing with Andrew Copp, his offensive game was fire! Dude's still growing and evolving, so don't even try to put a ceiling on his potential.

Developing Offensive Game: Rasmussen's offensive game is on the rise, my friend. He's had moments of pure brilliance, like his sick streaks of seven points in five games and seven points in six games during the 2022-23 season. Those ain't the stats of someone who's reached their peak; they scream potential and untapped talent!

Impact on Team Performance: Don't be blind to the facts, bro. When Rasmussen got injured and his season ended, the Red Wings felt it, big time. Their win-loss record took a nosedive. The dude's not just about personal stats; he straight-up effects the whole damn squad's performance. That's some serious impact right there.

Late Bloomers in the NHL: Hey, history lesson for ya. NHL has seen plenty of late bloomers, like Jeff Skinner and Tage Thompson. These guys didn't have their breakout seasons until years into their careers. Rasmussen could be cut from the same cloth, so don't sleep on his potential. He might just surprise the hell outta you.

In conclusion, I hear ya, being cautious is fine. But let's not put a premature cap on this guy's potential. Rasmussen's recent game, improvements, and his impact on the Red Wings scream that he's got more in the tank than you're givin' him credit for. So, before you label him as some 40-50 point chump, give him a chance to recover, grow, and show us what he's really made of. Then maybe you'll learn not to underestimate the dude.
15 juin 2023 à 9 h 20
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 339
Quoting: ImAlwaysRightYoureAlwaysWrong
While I appreciate your perspective, I would argue that Tage Thompson and Michael Rasmussen are comparable in terms of their potential for a breakout season. I agree that they are different types of players and that their progression paths diverge. However, the comparison lies in the potential for player development, not their specific style of play or role on their respective teams.

Thompson's 2022 campaign might not have been stellar, but the important factor to consider is his growth and eventual breakout in the 2023 season. The point of the comparison is not to match their exact trajectories but to underscore that players can have a significant leap in performance even if they initially seem to be struggling. Both players were high draft picks who didn't immediately live up to expectations, but they showed consistent improvement over time.

Rasmussen, like Thompson, has shown signs of potential, and his versatility and work ethic are commendable. His transition from center to wing, and his overall adaptability, signal an upward trajectory, not unlike Thompson's improvement as a puck handler.

Lastly, let's remember that it's hockey we're talking about, not a synchronized swimming routine. Players don't have to mirror each other's performances to have similar career arcs. So while Thompson and Rasmussen might be as similar as apples and hockey pucks, when it comes to their potential for breakout seasons, they're skating on the same ice. I look forward to seeing Rasmussen's career unfold, as I'm sure you do too.

That makes no sense. Comarissons should use comparables. Otherwise its just a bunch of rambling. The only point to mentioning tage is if you're referencing specifics. Otherwise normal people just say "a break out year" without mentioning other players.
15 juin 2023 à 9 h 36
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: DDossett
That makes no sense. Comarissons should use comparables. Otherwise its just a bunch of rambling. The only point to mentioning tage is if you're referencing specifics. Otherwise normal people just say "a break out year" without mentioning other players.

I understand your point about comparables, but I believe you're missing the larger argument here. We're not comparing Tage Thompson and Michael Rasmussen in terms of their style of play or even their stats for that matter. We're comparing them in the context of potential breakout performances.

Thompson had an impressive 2023 season with 47 goals and 94 points​​. This performance demonstrates a significant progression and development in his skills, and that's the point. It's about the potential for growth and improvement, the ability to adapt, and the determination to overcome challenges, all of which Thompson has exhibited.

Similarly, Rasmussen, despite his knee injury, has managed 10 goals, 19 assists, 48 blocked shots, and 119 hits through 56 games in his fourth NHL season​​. His performance and growth trajectory, despite some setbacks, illustrate the same potential for a breakout season.

Comparisons don't always have to be direct or based on identical attributes/structures. Sometimes, they can be about potential, growth, and the ability to make significant strides in one's career. Both Thompson and Rasmussen exemplify these qualities.

And as for your comment about "normal people" just saying "a break out year" without mentioning other players, well, sometimes it takes a little more than being "normal" to see the extraordinary potential in players like Thompson and Rasmussen. No offense intended, but maybe it's time to switch from regular to decaf; your passion for the game is admirable, but your vision seems a little blurred when it comes to spotting rising stars.
aedoran a aimé ceci.
5 juill. 2023 à 13 h 8
Mentions "j'aime": 965
Tage Thompson had a huge opportunity at center on a weak Buffalo roster to get tons of ice time in all situations. The same does not exist in Detroit.

Talent has to have an opportunity to fluorish. Whether or not Rasmussen has the talent to breakout; I don't think we'll find out since he won't get the opportunity. He had that opportunity over the past few years and it didn't line up. Detroit has added too much to their top 6 that it is probably too late, unless he gets traded (like Tage Thompson) to a place with a better opportunity.

Rasmussen has solid Goals/60 numbers so there is an argument to be made that more ice time in a top 6 role would see him reach pretty good goal scoring numbers.

Thompson was always an elite talent, he represented USA internationally for 32 games before he broke out; in the World Championships (U18, U20, and twice on the main team).

Rasmussen only played 4 games in the Hlinka Gretzky Cup for Canada (U18). If he would have broken out like Tage Thompson it would have been last year for him to at least get to .80+ PPG range.

The best Tage Thompson comparison I can think of from a talent-perspective is Quinten Byfield in LA but with the trade for Dubois his opportunity when Kopitar slows down is not as great as it was before.

Byfield is at the same talent level in his final year of ELC that Thompson was. On the same timeline Byfield is 2 more full seasons before he would hit his "Tage Thompson" breakout and that is when Kopitar will be 38 years old.

Yes, I do believe that really tall centers take longer to develop into top 6 NHL talent than regular sized guys. Tage is 6'6 or 6'7 (depending upon website and date), Rasmussen 6'6, and Byfield 6'5. There aren't very many that in that range of height that are legit NHL center prospects. My darkhorse candidate is Adam Ruzicka in Calgary. If the firesale empties their center depth he could be one sneaking into that spot or gets traded and an opportunity elsewhere.
19 juill. 2023 à 5 h 34
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 13
If he gets over 45, I'll be ecstatic. I do think he's gonna have his best season this year.
19 juill. 2023 à 10 h 13
Mentions "j'aime": 965
Quoting: Zettersyukstrom88
If he gets over 45, I'll be ecstatic. I do think he's gonna have his best season this year.

What are the likely Detroit lines going to look like? With all the turnover it looks chaotic from the outside? The "are the done with Robby Fabbri" conversation doesn't help

I've seen commentary that Larkin-Raymond don't have chemistry; that Copp can't play 2C but he has chemistry with Rasmussen/Raymond; Compher was brought in to be 2C (but Copp is paid more)?

My best guess:

DeBrincat-Larkin-Perron
Rasmussen-Copp-Raymond
Fabbri/Berggren-Compher-Sprong
Kostin-Veleno-Fischer

Scratch/AHL?
Soderblom-Kasper-Luff/Czarnik
22 juill. 2023 à 5 h 24
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 13
Quoting: HockeyScotty
What are the likely Detroit lines going to look like? With all the turnover it looks chaotic from the outside? The "are the done with Robby Fabbri" conversation doesn't help

I've seen commentary that Larkin-Raymond don't have chemistry; that Copp can't play 2C but he has chemistry with Rasmussen/Raymond; Compher was brought in to be 2C (but Copp is paid more)?

My best guess:

DeBrincat-Larkin-Perron
Rasmussen-Copp-Raymond
Fabbri/Berggren-Compher-Sprong
Kostin-Veleno-Fischer

Scratch/AHL?
Soderblom-Kasper-Luff/Czarnik

That's a good question. I thought Ras would be a great piece to dig pucks out for Larkin and DeBrincat.

Rasmussen - Larkin - DeBrincat
Perron - Copp/Compher - Raymond
Bergrren - Copp/Compher - Sprong
Fabbri - Veleno - Kostin

I think Kasper and Soderblom snag full-time roster spots by the end of the year. I have no idea though. Haha.
12 nov. 2023 à 12 h 13
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,479
Without a doubt, Michael Rasmussen is on the precipice of a breakout year that mirrors Tage Thompson's exceptional 2023 season. In the 2022-23 season, Rasmussen proved his worth by amassing 29 points in 56 games before an unfortunate injury ended his season prematurely​​. His invaluable contribution to the Red Wings team, which includes his size, penalty-killing skills, and leadership, was made glaringly evident by their struggle in his absence​​.

A significant catalyst for Rasmussen's imminent rise is his successful transition from center to wing. This change brought about a noticeable uptick in his offensive prowess, a development that aligns him perfectly for a transformative season​​. His team has taken note of his effective forechecking ability and productive partnerships, particularly with Andrew Copp, setting the stage for a dramatic increase in his point totals.

Bearing the hallmarks of Thompson's 2023 season, where he garnered a stunning 94 points in 78 games​​, Rasmussen's upcoming season is ripe for a similar meteoric rise. His steady improvement, strategic positional shift, and undeniable value to his team all converge toward one inevitable outcome: a breakout year. The stage is set, the potential is high, and Michael Rasmussen is undeniably primed to skyrocket to new heights.

Statistic Projected Value
Games Played 82
Goals 25
Assists 39
Total Points 64
Penalty Minutes 50
Plus/Minus +10

This take has aged very poorly
13 nov. 2023 à 14 h 20
Craig Laughlin Fan
Rejoint: nov. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 5,746
Quoting: IconicHawk
This take has aged very poorly

babe wake up, new "calder list starts with Kravtsov" post dropped
IconicHawk a aimé ceci.
12 déc. 2023 à 0 h 49
I Love J Boqvist
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 3,179
I get it, you're doubting Michael Rasmussen based on his past performances. But let me school you on why your weak projection is gonna fall flat on its face:

Versatility and Adaptability: Rasmussen ain't some one-trick pony, alright? He's shown mad versatility, switching positions from center to wing, and guess what? He actually improved in that new role. When he was playin' on the wing with Andrew Copp, his offensive game was fire! Dude's still growing and evolving, so don't even try to put a ceiling on his potential.

Developing Offensive Game: Rasmussen's offensive game is on the rise, my friend. He's had moments of pure brilliance, like his sick streaks of seven points in five games and seven points in six games during the 2022-23 season. Those ain't the stats of someone who's reached their peak; they scream potential and untapped talent!

Impact on Team Performance: Don't be blind to the facts, bro. When Rasmussen got injured and his season ended, the Red Wings felt it, big time. Their win-loss record took a nosedive. The dude's not just about personal stats; he straight-up effects the whole damn squad's performance. That's some serious impact right there.

Late Bloomers in the NHL: Hey, history lesson for ya. NHL has seen plenty of late bloomers, like Jeff Skinner and Tage Thompson. These guys didn't have their breakout seasons until years into their careers. Rasmussen could be cut from the same cloth, so don't sleep on his potential. He might just surprise the hell outta you.

In conclusion, I hear ya, being cautious is fine. But let's not put a premature cap on this guy's potential. Rasmussen's recent game, improvements, and his impact on the Red Wings scream that he's got more in the tank than you're givin' him credit for. So, before you label him as some 40-50 point chump, give him a chance to recover, grow, and show us what he's really made of. Then maybe you'll learn not to underestimate the dude.

Jeff Skinner scored 30 goals and won the calder at 18 years old
10 févr. à 22 h 59
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 14,582

Hi

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage