SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Borje Salming.

11 nov. 2022 à 18 h 15
Which witch is which
Rejoint: nov. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 28
Love for this man.
Borje Salming will appear in Toronto and Ottawa for each game and at the Hockey Hall of Fame as an Ambassador of the sport as three of his fellow countrymen are inducted.
He is currently enduring the effects of ALS. He is doing so with grace, dignity and strength.
Seeing him before tonights game will be very emotional for me.

I am 51 yrs old. As a 5 yr old my blood turned blue and white. I had no choice, it just happened.
One of those reasons was the Leafs team from the mid to late 70's A period of "almost there". One or two players away from being a legitimate challenge to the juggernaut that was the Montreal Canadians. I'd say legitimate contender for the cup, but really... all you were doing from 76-80 was trying to survive The Habs.
Borje Salming was the standout of that team. Darryl Sittler may have been my favorite player (of all time actually) because he was the Captain and he really was the heart of the franchise, but there was something about Salming that just drew you in. He was awesome!!!
Toronto fell in love with a Swedish player who exemplified the blue-collar, working class base of Toronto's fans.
He was ours.
He took a beating when he came in the league... never backed down, never broke... may have got bloody and bruised, but he pushed back... fought back. He defined a knew type of toughness in the NHL. One where you have a target on your back because these players think your soft for not being Canadian, they are going to test you and you are going to stand your ground or crumble.
He stood his ground.
Everyone realized that this man was tough as nails.
The level of respect this man earned is a testament to his character. The talent he had as a player just increased that respect to the highest level.
Four times he was nominated for the Norris Trophy as best defenseman. Only Denis Potvin and Larry Robinson stopped him from winning the prize. It has been said many times by many people... "If Borje had played on Montrea or Boston... he would have won the Norris all 4 times". The fact that he played on an average to above average team (a good team really) shows how great a defenseman he was. I remember the selfless sacrifice he made on a nightly basis. Hurling his body into the net, in front of pucks, players bigger than him in any way to stop an advantage. How I wish we had a guy like that on the back end now. His playmaking was as fine as any D-man in the league. He could skate... he could play like any Canadian boy... and he became a 6 time All-Star.
I could gush all over him for pages... but I think Leaf fans understand the point I'm getting at.
Borje "The King" Salming is one of the best Maple Leafs to ever wear the Jersey... and if anyone calls him the greatest Leaf, I'm actually pretty good with that too.

Just wanted to acknowledge the respect for #21.
Would love to hear your "Borje" thoughts and stories.
Trickster et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
12 nov. 2022 à 19 h 31
average joe
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 99
These Salming tributes are hard on the emotions.
I don't quite remember the mid-70's series against the Flyers - but that seemed to be their chance.
By 1978 when they made the Semi's, Montreal was too strong.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage