SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Mock With Explanations

Mock With Explanations

Cuvée de repêchage: 2022
Créé par: nickthehabsfan
Publié: 10 juin 2022 à 10 h 26
RONDE 1ÉQUIPEORIGINALJOUEURDéTAILS
1Logo de Canadiens de Montréal-Some old guy may be yelling that Slafkovsky should go first overall but if you ask any of the experts they all say Wright is the best prospect in this draft class. If you think back, it happens every year where the consensus #1 gets "challenged" by someone and it never actually happens with Beniers vs Power, Lafreniere vs Byfield, Hughes vs Kakko, etc.
2Logo de Devils du New Jersey-In this mock draft I'm not doing trades and even if I were I don't think New Jersey should trade the pick. There are plenty of great options here and if they want a physical player go trade for Anderson and select a sure thing, superstar player here. Looking at the Devil's roster they could use a defenseman. Who knows if Severson sticks around and if Hamilton will regain his $9M form again. With youngsters like Hughes, Mercer, Bratt, Sharangovich, Boqvist up front I think defenseman makes more sense in this aspect as well. Between Nemec and Jiricek I prefer Nemec so I'll go with him at 2oa.
3Logo de Coyotes de l'Arizona-The Coyotes may not be happy with the lottery result but I think they will love that Logan Cooley falls into their laps. Cooley looks to be that #1 center that can lead your team for years. Some people even say that Cooley may have a higher ceiling than Wright, although I disagree it's still an interesting take and shows how good he is. I also think that the only team in the top 3 that might select Slafkovsky would be New Jersey. The Yotes took a winger in Guenther last year and I don't think they'd take another one when Cooley is available.
4Logo de Kraken de Seattle-With Seattle being an expansion team they don't really have any urgent team needs. I think they go with a defenseman no matter what unless Cooley falls here. With Beniers as the 1C and the chance to take Jiricek as a top pair D I think they go in that direction. It makes sense and gives them two players to build around.
5Logo de Flyers de Philadelphie-This is where I think Slafkovsky lands. There have been many rumors and people thinking that Philly will take Cutter Gauthier at 5. Although it's kinda dumb it makes sense with Philly management. Slafkovsky screams Philly to me and if he's available at 5 I think there's no way Philly passes up on him.
6Logo de Blue Jackets de ColumbusLogo de Blackhawks de ChicagoThe way I see this draft is that there is a top 6 and then its wide open. The remaining player in this top 6 is Matthew Savoie. In my personal rankings I have Slafkovsky and Savoie swapped compared to this mock but with the teams picking I see Slafkovsky above Savoie. Savoie has potential to be that top line forward and I think he'll fit nicely with the Blue Jackets core.
7Logo de Sénateurs d'Ottawa-Ottawa is rumored to want to move up to take Slafkovsky or maybe to take Gauthier. Whatever they do if you look at history they love taking physical players higher than they should go. With Boucher at 10oa last year and them likely missing on that pick I think they try again to find that player. That player is Cutter Gauthier and if its not him its probably Geekie.
8Logo de Red Wings de Detroit-I think this pick has the potential to be a pretty good story and possible steal. Frank Nazar is from Michigan and would probably love playing for his hometown team. I also think that Detroit would love to add Nazar once the top 6 is gone. Some see Nazar as a top 5-8 prospect with the highest being Eliteprospects with him at 4. Nazar would be a great add for an already stacked Detroit roster.
9Logo de Sabres de Buffalo-This pick is tricky. Buffalo has a decent U25 D core and a decent U25 forward core. Because of this decent prospect depth and the fact that they have a couple more 1st round picks I think they take the risk on Lambert who could become a game braking forward. I have him in the teen's personally but I think with the circumstances Buffalo takes him.
10Logo de Ducks d'Anaheim-Looking at Anaheim's young players I see that they have a star forwards in McTavish & Zegras and some good secondary pieces in Pastujov, Comtois, Lundestrom, and Perreault. When I look at their defensemen I see a star in Drysdale & Zellweger and then Helleson as a secondary piece and not much else. With the defensemen that are available here I think they go that route. In my mind it's a 3 way battle between Mintyukov, Korchinski, and Mateychuk. None of those have an advantage in my mind so let's look at some data. The players with the best average rating are Mateychuk & Mintyukov with both being ~14. Comparing between those two, Mateychuk has slightly the better NHLe so the ranking between all 3 imo is Mateychuk, Mintyukov, Korchinski. Mateychuk it is.
11Logo de Sharks de San Jose-As much as I would like Lekkerimaki to go to San Jose to stay with Eklund I think it makes more sense for San Jose to pick one of the defensemen as they really don't have any D prospects when you compare them to the F prospects they have. Stealing what I wrote for Anaheim at 10 overall the next best guy is Mintyukov.
12Logo de Blue Jackets de Columbus-With Columbus taking Savoie at 6, I think they go with a defensemen here to even everything out. As stated before I think the best one is available is Korchinski, so that's where I have CBJ going in this scenario.
13Logo de Islanders de New York-Now this is where I think the faller in this mock goes, Joakim Kemell. The Islanders are known for having a great defensive game but having a lack of scoring. Joakim Kemell would fix that problem and with the success of Aatu Raty last year I think they'll go finish again. If Kemell falls irl I wouldn't be surprised because when he was measured at the combine he was shorter than expected which could have an affect on his draft stock.
14Logo de Jets de Winnipeg-Winnipeg NEEDS defensive prospects but there are none that make sense to take here. I think the most likely thing is that they go with a forward here and take a defensemen with the NYR pick. The best forward on the board imo is Danila Yurov so I'll have Winnipeg taking him.
15Logo de Canucks de Vancouver-As stated before there aren't any great D to take here so forward is the most logical pick and with Benning gone I think logic will happen ;) . I think that the best guy available right now is Lekkerimaki so I think they'll take him. Lekkerimaki and Pettersen would make a great Swedish duo in the future.
16Logo de Sabres de BuffaloLogo de Golden Knights de VegasWith Lambert at C and Quinn at RW I think Buffalo looks for a LW to complete that line. Buffalo doesn't really have any good LW prospects so I think a LW makes the most sense for them. Looking at what LW's are available there's Miro and Howard. I give the slight edge to Howard because of the u18's he had and because of Miro's health. There's also the russian factor to pile up on Miro.
17Logo de Predators de Nashville-Looking at past years Nashville has picked forwards and with the players available I think that trend continues. I think there's a pretty obvious pick here and I'd be surprised if he goes this late on draft day. This is where he SHOULD go but unlikely that's where he actually goes due to his size and play style. In case you haven't seen the player selected yet or haven't figured it out, that player is Connor Geekie.
18Logo de Stars de Dallas-Looking at Dallas they have a strong young core but the aging vets are keeping them back from winning anything. Because of their decent depth and no real weakness I think they go with a riser in the draft recently in Liam Öhgren. I personally am not as high on him as other's but I think he makes the most sense here based on the consensus.
19Logo de Kings de Los Angeles-The Kings have plenty of depth and can afford to take a risk and reap some amazing rewards if it works out. I think Miroshnichenko goes to a team with multiple 1sts or someone with a great prospect pool. The Kings fit in that second category and they take Miro to end their rebuild.
20Logo de Capitals de Washington-As the Capitals slowly creep into an eventual rebuild I think they continue their decent drafting over the past little while. I think a very likely steal this year is Gleb Trikozov. His production is insane and he's on the younger end of this draft class meaning he'll be able to develop a little more than other prospects. When he becomes a top 6 player for whoever drafts him a bunch of teams are going to look back and wonder, "how did he slip this far?"
21Logo de Penguins de Pittsburgh-Another team slowly creeping into a rebuild here in the Penguins. It's been a while since the Pens have had a 1st eh? I think PIT goes with the player who could jump into their lineup asap to try to extend the contention window. You could look at some overagers in Robertson and co. but I think a player already playing against men makes more sense. One of those players is Marco Kasper. It's possible he jumps into the NHL as soon as 23-24 tho I think 24-25/25-26 is a bit more likely if PIT doesn't want to rush him.
22Logo de Ducks d'AnaheimLogo de Bruins de BostonWith Anaheim taking Mateychuk earlier they probably go with a forward here. The best one available that most people would say is Rutger McGroarty. I also think he makes a good amount of sense for the Ducks so Rutger to Anaheim. I'd just like to add here that Rutger is a pretty fun first name.
23Logo de Blues de St-Louis-This is where I think the defensemen should start being selected. The Blues have taken forwards in the past couple drafts so I think they look to D. The opportunity to unite the Kyrou's is pretty nice but I think it's too early for Kyrou, he should be a 2nd rounder. I think it's between Nelson and Casey here and my preference lays with Nelson.
24Logo de Wild du Minnesota-The Wild are another team that could come out of the 1st round with a D man. They have young star forwards in Boldy, Rossi, Kaprizov, Fiala (for now) and not any on the blueline. As stated before the next best guy in people's consensus is Seamus Casey.
25Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto-The blame was on the goaltending this year so there's nothing they can do at the draft to address that need. I think they'll go BPA as they are pretty strong everywhere. Snuggerud is a player a good amount of people have here and a player I also like.
26Logo de Canadiens de MontréalLogo de Flames de CalgaryEven with the Habs taking Wright and going with a D makes sense, I think that a D man with pick 33 is more likely. I think the Habs will try to get another forward. The Habs could use a LW so I think they go with a winger here to maybe put on the RW with Caufield on the left or vise versa. The two options are Perevalov and Firkus imo. Both had strong seasons but I'll go with Firkus as I think that russian players will lose these 1v1 competitions in scouting departments this year due to recent events.
27Logo de Coyotes de l'ArizonaLogo de Hurricanes de la CarolineThe Yotes have 4 picks in the next 10 upcoming selections so I don't think they go based on position and instead go with BPA. This is where I think Jiri Kulich goes. He's been rising up the rankings recently and for good reason. The main reason for this is that he had a great U18's. Kulich could go somewhere in the teens for all I know...
28Logo de Sabres de BuffaloLogo de Panthers de la FlorideWith Buffalo's 3rd first round pick, I think they finally take a defenseman. I have them taking Lambert and Howard so if they can come out of the 1st round with a young D that would be amazing for them. I think Owen Pickering makes the most sense here, with a big frame and a decent season he should very likely be a 1st round prospect. You could make the argument for Odelius and Salomonsson but I don't like taking players from the J20 in the1st round as it's a pretty weak league.
29Logo de Oilers d'Edmonton-The Oilers made a good step this year with a WCF appearance but there is still work to do. I think they go BPA and go with Filip Mesar. Might be surprised he goes here but with how the order worked out earlier I think in this scenario he falls. He could go late teens - early 20's but there will be a faller on draft day for no reason.
30Logo de Jets de WinnipegLogo de Rangers de New YorkNow it's time for Winnipeg to build up their future blue line. I have them taking a forward in Yurov earlier in the draft so its time for a defenseman. Looking at the options there is Hutson, Luneau, Chesley, Bichsel, Fisher, Odelius, Salomonsson, and Havelid. From those options there isn't a clear number 1 in my mind so let's look at which side is needed more and who's ranked higher. IMO a RD is a bigger need than a LD so that leaves Luneau, Chesley, Fisher, Salo, and Havelid. Out of those 5 Odelius is ranked higher by most.
31Logo de Lightning de Tampa Bay-Tampa doesn't have a big need anywhere so they should go BPA. Considering the fact that they won't have a 1st for a bit I think they go with a boom/bust player in Lane Hutson. Hutson has the potential to become a top pair D but also has the chance to be a bottom pair guy due to his size. He could go anywhere from 20-50 and it all depends on how much teams have learned from DeBrincat and Caufield.
32Logo de Coyotes de l'ArizonaLogo de Avalanche du ColoradoAs I said with pick 27, Arizona should just go BPA over and over again. I think that player is Perevalov and although he might fall due to being russian, I think teams will recognize him as a player and select him maybe not late 2nd/early 3rd?
10 juin 2022 à 10 h 54
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,403
I agree with the Ottawa pick desc even if Geekie/Gauthier should go as high as that, it's a real possibility. I would think SJ/Ana jump on the chance to pick Kemell, whichever one doesn't pick Kemell gets Mateychuk, NYI picks Yurov and WPG goes Mintyukov. If i were the Habs at 26, I'd go Ryan Chesley there, good defence, still has decent offensive abilities and is very mature, should be a nice 2nd pair fixture. Also, i don't quite understand the pick 30 logic, WPG needs RD more than LD so they pick a LD?
10 juin 2022 à 10 h 57
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: mai 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,559
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I agree with the Ottawa pick desc even if Geekie/Gauthier should go as high as that, it's a real possibility. I would think SJ/Ana jump on the chance to pick Kemell, whichever one doesn't pick Kemell gets Mateychuk, NYI picks Yurov and WPG goes Mintyukov. If i were the Habs at 26, I'd go Ryan Chesley there, good defence, still has decent offensive abilities and is very mature, should be a nice 2nd pair fixture. Also, i don't quite understand the pick 30 logic, WPG needs RD more than LD so they pick a LD?

that Winnipeg was a brain fart lets put Chesley there instead
10 juin 2022 à 11 h 29
PittsburghModelMyAss
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,415
So you'd draft Ryan Merkley over Mikhail Sergachev is essentially what youre saying
10 juin 2022 à 12 h 15
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: BigBadBurke
So you'd draft Ryan Merkley over Mikhail Sergachev is essentially what youre saying

You talking about Winnipeg?
10 juin 2022 à 16 h 15
power forward
Mentions "j'aime": 610
I have my mock draft with explanations coming up, surprisingly my top 6 is the exact same as yours. While I love the idea of Gauthier going to Ottawa, I think with them going off-the-board the past three years they should absolutely go BPA.

Other than that, love the thought process behind this!
nickthehabsfan a aimé ceci.
10 juin 2022 à 16 h 34
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: christianyog
I have my mock draft with explanations coming up, surprisingly my top 6 is the exact same as yours. While I love the idea of Gauthier going to Ottawa, I think with them going off-the-board the past three years they should absolutely go BPA.

Other than that, love the thought process behind this!

Thanks, and as much as Ottawa should go with BPA, Dorion will Dorion and not do that lol
10 juin 2022 à 17 h 25
not fully
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 26
I get what people are saying about the Jets needing D, but that's really overblown. They have tons of D prospects which have some upside, although they could use a RS d prospect. In terms of dynamic forward prospects who can score goals, they could use some more of that.
10 juin 2022 à 17 h 30
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Halfy
I get what people are saying about the Jets needing D, but that's really overblown. They have tons of D prospects which have some upside, although they could use a RS d prospect. In terms of dynamic forward prospects who can score goals, they could use some more of that.

The reason I say they need D is because, upfront in prospects they have Perfetti, Lucius, Chibrikov but on the blueline they have Heinola, Samberg and not much else. And in this mock they're taking Yurov at 14 so they should probably take a D at 30.
10 juin 2022 à 17 h 30
PittsburghModelMyAss
Mentions "j'aime": 1,415
Quoting: nickthehabsfan
You talking about Winnipeg?

Nope, Denton over pavel
10 juin 2022 à 20 h 27
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,674
the other assessment's you would have to consider when doing these is what the next draft is looking like. And 23 is shaping up VERY forward heavy, VERY Goalie Weak (best guy by far is 5'9" lol)
and I would say is well below average D wise.
because of that expect a lot of the D to go higher than expected in this draft, same with he 2/3 better goalies from this draft.

Spot on assessment of the sharks Prospect depth and needs, actually pretty good across the board honestly!
One thing though about the sharks, while I LOVE Mintukov's upside a lot (I really hope the sharks pick him) and think he could wind up the steal of this draft (insane offensive abilities and improving D plus good size and skating abilities) sharks are rumored to be falling for Kevin Korchinski for some weird reason.
10 juin 2022 à 21 h 4
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: BigBadBurke
Nope, Denton over pavel

I like Denton more but it's a very small margin
13 juin 2022 à 10 h 45
not fully
The reason I say they need D is because, upfront in prospects they have Perfetti, Lucius, Chibrikov but on the blueline they have Heinola, Samberg and not much else. And in this mock they're taking Yurov at 14 so they should probably take a D at 30.

I get what youre saying regarding the prospect pool to an extent. They actually have a few more D prospects in the AHL with some NHL upside most notably in Chisholm, but also with Gawanke and to a much lesser extent Kovacevic. They don't really have much that shoots right, but to say they all caps NEED d prospects is not really correct. They are probably at worst average when it comes to their defensive depth for prospects. Now NHL roster wise, yeah they don't have much top end lmao. Also, unless the defenceman at 14 is the clear number 1 left on their board (possible), I could see them looking for a RH Defenceman at 30. The Jets have also shown the willingness to pick the player that has fallen (Connor, Perfetti, Lucius), so it will be interesting to see how it plays out at 14. I would love the Odelius pick though. I also just wonder if the Jets covet size with whomever they pick on defence, which is not what I would do necessarily. Two firsts should allow you to take some swings on talent.
13 juin 2022 à 10 h 59
Démarrer sujet
I get what youre saying regarding the prospect pool to an extent. They actually have a few more D prospects in the AHL with some NHL upside most notably in Chisholm, but also with Gawanke and to a much lesser extent Kovacevic. They don't really have much that shoots right, but to say they all caps NEED d prospects is not really correct. They are probably at worst average when it comes to their defensive depth for prospects. Now NHL roster wise, yeah they don't have much top end lmao. Also, unless the defenceman at 14 is the clear number 1 left on their board (possible), I could see them looking for a RH Defenceman at 30. The Jets have also shown the willingness to pick the player that has fallen (Connor, Perfetti, Lucius), so it will be interesting to see how it plays out at 14. I would love the Odelius pick though. I also just wonder if the Jets covet size with whomever they pick on defence, which is not what I would do necessarily. Two firsts should allow you to take some swings on talent.

Jets should come out of day 1 with some talent, like you said they like to pick fallers. Maybe they're a team that picks a good amount of Russian fallers and reap the benefits in the future? Yurov, Trikozov, Perevalov, Duda? come to mind as possible players...
Halfy a aimé ceci.
13 juin 2022 à 11 h 39
not fully
Jets should come out of day 1 with some talent, like you said they like to pick fallers. Maybe they're a team that picks a good amount of Russian fallers and reap the benefits in the future? Yurov, Trikozov, Perevalov, Duda? come to mind as possible players...

I got a feeling that Russians that play overseas are going to drop like crazy in this draft given everything that is going on. To what extent, I'm not sure yet. Could we see Yurov, Mirosh out of round 1? I think it's possible.
13 juin 2022 à 12 h 10
Démarrer sujet
I got a feeling that Russians that play overseas are going to drop like crazy in this draft given everything that is going on. To what extent, I'm not sure yet. Could we see Yurov, Mirosh out of round 1? I think it's possible.

I don't think Yurov makes it to day 2 but Miro is very possible

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage