Forums/Armchair-GM

Leafs Have Passed On A Lot Of Talent These 2 Seasons

Créé par: Agent_Of_R9
Équipe: 2021-22 Maple Leafs de Toronto
Date de création initiale: 9 nov. 2021
Publié: 9 nov. 2021
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
I'm a big fan of the way Dubas and his management constructed a prospect pool with rather low draft picks, he deserves a lot of credit for that. However, when I look at the team's failures the past 2 seasons, obviously a large part of the blame falls on Matthews and Marner for not producing, but I also can't help but feel the team passed on a lot of talent in order to go after players that didn't pan out. It's not even a matter that the Leafs couldn't afford depth, most of the players they passed were available for a similar cap hit compared to the guys they actually signed.
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
CRÉÉANSCAP HIT
Vesey, Jimmy
1900 000 $
Johnsson, Andreas
33 400 000 $
Foligno, Nick
33 800 000 $
Transactions
TOR
  1. Verhaeghe, Carter
Détails additionnels:
*Signed instead - while no one could've seen Verhaeghe's production rise, he was an excellent forechecker and defensive player
FLA
  1. Vesey, Jimmy
TOR
  1. Sheary, Conor
Détails additionnels:
*Both players signed for the same cap hit in 2020 - Sheary like Verhaeghe was an excellent forechecker with 2 way abilities, he could've been an underrated pickup
TOR
  1. Weegar, MacKenzie
Détails additionnels:
*This trade was rumored during the 2020 offseason - IDK why the Leafs didn't accept because the Leafs are still without a 2RD
FLA
  1. Johnsson, Andreas
  2. Dermott, Travis
  3. Choix de 1e ronde en 2022 (TOR)
TOR
  1. Hall, Taylor (2 000 000 $ retained)
Détails additionnels:
*I never understood this trade from the start. What exactly is Foligno than Hall at? Offence? No. Defence? Not substantially. Forechecking? No? Transition? No? The only he does better is bodycheck, but hitting means little if you can't recover possession.
BOS
  1. Foligno, Nick
TOR
  1. Niku, Sami
Détails additionnels:
*Why sign a career AHLer when someone with potential is actually available?
TOR
  1. McCann, Jared
Détails additionnels:
*What was even the point of trading for McCann? Also, I never understood the love fest this coaching staff for Justin Holl. He is an overrated second pair defenceman, these types of players are easily replaceable.
TOR
  1. Cizikas, Casey
Détails additionnels:
*No one could've predicted for Nick Ritchie's effort to be as bad as it is, but giving 2.5 million dollars to a player who does not have a large sample size of success for a cap-strapped team is risky
Transactions impliquant une retenue de salaire
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2281 500 000 $81 239 783 $0 $0 $260 217 $

Formation

Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
950 000 $950 000 $
AG
UFA - 2
11 640 250 $11 640 250 $
C
UFA - 3
6 962 366 $6 962 366 $
AD
UFA - 3
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
AG, C, AD
UFA - 2
11 000 000 $11 000 000 $
C, AG
NMC
UFA - 4
10 903 000 $10 903 000 $
AD
UFA - 4
Logo de Panthers de la Floride
1 000 000 $1 000 000 $
AG
UFA - 1
Logo de Islanders de New York
2 500 000 $2 500 000 $
C
UFA - 6
1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
C
UFA - 2
Logo de Capitals de Washington
1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 2
Logo de Kraken de Seattle
2 940 000 $2 940 000 $
C, AG
UFA - 1
1 250 000 $1 250 000 $
AD
UFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG
NMC
UFA - 1
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG/DD
NTC
UFA - 3
1 650 000 $1 650 000 $
G
UFA - 1
5 625 000 $5 625 000 $
DG
NTC
UFA - 3
Logo de Panthers de la Floride
3 250 000 $3 250 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 2
725 000 $725 000 $
G
UFA - 1
894 167 $894 167 $
DG
UFA - 1
Logo de Canadiens de Montréal
750 000 $750 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
750 000 $750 000 $
C, AD
UFA - 1
Logo de Bruins de Boston
4 000 000 $4 000 000 $
AG
NMC
UFA - 4
750 000 $750 000 $
D
UFA - 1
1 645 000 $1 645 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
1 250 000 $1 250 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 1
3 800 000 $3 800 000 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
10 nov. 2021 à 17 h 32
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 996
Quoting: NR1203
Weegar, McCann and Hall were missed opportunities for sure, I really wanted them to trade for Weegar last year and Foligno > Hall never made sense to me. I was disappointed with the McCann decision and the fact that Holl has been getting outplayed by Liljegren this year (as I thought he could from the start) only reinforces that. Ritchie signing was just strange from the beginning, never really saw the fit. Can't keep up in the top-6, can't create enough to work in the bottom-6.

Verhaeghe is just a rare late bloomer, nothing you can do when a guy shows little potential until he's in his mid-to-late 20's and then suddenly breaks out. Things like Simmonds/Sheary and Biega/Niku aren't that big deals to me, Simmonds has been fine and plays a more physical/veteran role for the team than Sheary could, and Niku probably wanted some assurances of NHL time which the Leafs just couldn't provide him.

Hits and misses for sure, but on the whole I still agree with you that Dubas has done a good job.

Yeah for sure. Considering the state of the team when Lou left, Kyle has done a really good job addressing the team's major needs. But he also was adamant about holding onto players who weren't very good over guys who had good results at a similar price.
10 nov. 2021 à 18 h 12
Banni
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 7,855
Quoting: Penguins_Legend_Sheary
I'm not talking about talent being passed through the draft. Obviously every team does that and it's inevitable. What I'm mores specifically focusing on is the players that got passed through free agency. Players with proven sample sizes weren't offered contracts because Keefe preferred Holl, Dermott, Ritchie and Vesey.

100% nonsense. Holl has been really good for the past 2 years. Dermott has been a terrific 3rd pair guy. Ritchie doesn't look good right now but considering how everyone outside of the leafs and half of Leaf fans constantly cry about not enough grit, it seemed like it checked a box. Vesey doesn't count because if he didn't work out you can just waive him and it's nothing lost. Griping about bottom of the lineup depth guys is about as good a way as there is to prove there isn't really many problems for the Leafs.

Justin Bourne said it very well in an article for Sportsnet today. The NHL season is long, it's a grind and there are ups and downs. Good teams will have them the same as bad teams but if they have a good system and the right mix, it all evens out and luck will swing back and forth. TO can and should be better than they've showed at times. They control play for the most part, they can score in bunches and they are solid defensively. Hence why they are at or near the top of the league in expected goal differential. Some bad luck gets them for a bit and they lose a few games they should win and you and trolls like you jump all over it. Ignore everything that shows its just one of those stretches or one of those games. Then you sit quietly when luck swings back the other way.

Passing on talent he says. You, like all the other trolls on here say the same stuff. "If they traded Marner they would be able to afford better players!" And if ever that happens, you'll all say the same thing. "Dubas panicked and now they don't have a superstar but instead 2-3 pluggers who are overpaid.". No matter what happens your ilk will **** on the leafs. They'll win the cup and it'll be because all sorts of nonsense like refs injuries or something else just as bogus. Its transparent and all together pathetic.
Barilko14 a aimé ceci.
10 nov. 2021 à 18 h 16
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 996
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
100% nonsense. Holl has been really good for the past 2 years. Dermott has been a terrific 3rd pair guy. Ritchie doesn't look good right now but considering how everyone outside of the leafs and half of Leaf fans constantly cry about not enough grit, it seemed like it checked a box. Vesey doesn't count because if he didn't work out you can just waive him and it's nothing lost. Griping about bottom of the lineup depth guys is about as good a way as there is to prove there isn't really many problems for the Leafs.

Justin Bourne said it very well in an article for Sportsnet today. The NHL season is long, it's a grind and there are ups and downs. Good teams will have them the same as bad teams but if they have a good system and the right mix, it all evens out and luck will swing back and forth. TO can and should be better than they've showed at times. They control play for the most part, they can score in bunches and they are solid defensively. Hence why they are at or near the top of the league in expected goal differential. Some bad luck gets them for a bit and they lose a few games they should win and you and trolls like you jump all over it. Ignore everything that shows its just one of those stretches or one of those games. Then you sit quietly when luck swings back the other way.

Passing on talent he says. You, like all the other trolls on here say the same stuff. "If they traded Marner they would be able to afford better players!" And if ever that happens, you'll all say the same thing. "Dubas panicked and now they don't have a superstar but instead 2-3 pluggers who are overpaid.". No matter what happens your ilk will **** on the leafs. They'll win the cup and it'll be because all sorts of nonsense like refs injuries or something else just as bogus. Its transparent and all together pathetic.

I won't disagree, but when the team isn't succeeding, you have to expect criticism on the biggest executives and players. It just seems that for these analytic nerds like you and everyone else, Dubas is above criticism even though his biggest backfires haven't been analytical!
10 nov. 2021 à 19 h 32
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 132
Quoting: Shibbal18
Dubas is an analytics nerd who chases trends instead of being ahead of the curve. Reminds me of Darcy Reiger, always a year too late or a move too short

Dubas is constantly attacked for doing thing differently than all other GM's. Being a follower of a trend nobody has set yet is called being a trend setter. If it's a good trend or not remains to be seen however I will say that considering what he's been able to do during a flat cap exactly zero people knew was going to happen everyone was wrong that what he and Shanahan were trying to do is impossible. Don't even try and say you knew the flat cap was coming. 2020-21 was estimated to be going up 2-4 million and with the new US tv deal and expansion this year would be the same if not more and 6 Million or more extra cap space would change the line-up a lot. Next year likely would be even more. Saying Dubas is an idiot for not knowing a flat cap was coming is utterly nonsense.
As for the trades your assuming they were all options. You don't know who was willing to sign and what teams wanted to trade with the Leafs.
10 nov. 2021 à 23 h 33
Banni
I won't disagree, but when the team isn't succeeding, you have to expect criticism on the biggest executives and players. It just seems that for these analytic nerds like you and everyone else, Dubas is above criticism even though his biggest backfires haven't been analytical!

Quoting: Onslaught77
Dubas is constantly attacked for doing thing differently than all other GM's. Being a follower of a trend nobody has set yet is called being a trend setter. If it's a good trend or not remains to be seen however I will say that considering what he's been able to do during a flat cap exactly zero people knew was going to happen everyone was wrong that what he and Shanahan were trying to do is impossible. Don't even try and say you knew the flat cap was coming. 2020-21 was estimated to be going up 2-4 million and with the new US tv deal and expansion this year would be the same if not more and 6 Million or more extra cap space would change the line-up a lot. Next year likely would be even more. Saying Dubas is an idiot for not knowing a flat cap was coming is utterly nonsense.
As for the trades your assuming they were all options. You don't know who was willing to sign and what teams wanted to trade with the Leafs.

Yup, it's just the usual bull****.
10 nov. 2021 à 23 h 33
Banni

The only success they haven't enjoyed is playoff success and considering their best player is 24. I am not too worried about it. Its going to come.
15 nov. 2021 à 11 h 49
Pistol Pete
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,479
Was it just me or did Foligno's back give out in the playoffs? I think they took that into account, if you are in an "all or nothing" situation you cant be doubting anyone.
18 nov. 2021 à 13 h 31
Hockey IQ
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,484
What'd you guys think of this issue?

I despise the Toronto maple leafs....i can't even give a positive opinion on that dumpster fire of an organization...

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage