Forums/Armchair-GM

Making the best of a bad situation

Créé par: Boldirev
Équipe: 2020-21 Canucks de Vancouver
Date de création initiale: 8 oct. 2020
Publié: 8 oct. 2020
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
In the Covid NHL era, Jim Benning's short sighted approach to free agency over the years is now biting the Canucks in the rear. Markstrom and Toffoli are both looking at an AAV above 6M with term on the open market, not something the Canucks can or should be doing. Eriksson, Sutter, Roussel, Beagle and Baertschi are currently immovable contracts without significant sweeteners attached to them. The Canucks could buy out some of these contracts, but imo that is just adding salt to the wound. Benning should probably just bite the bullet and move on from his free agents. Trading for Fleury addresses the goaltending for the next two years and adds two premium picks from a rival. Gudas helps shore up the RD position nicely, bringing some physicality they sorely need on the blue line. Possibly one of Roussel or Beagle can be traded next off season to a team needing to expose a FW in the expansion draft or bought out at that time. With a projected 30M in cap space next year, they can resign their RFAs and look at adding where needed.

All this being said, Benning will probably continue to do what he has and go for a short term fix (in this case OEL) that will not age well. Even if OEL rebounds over the next two years, that contract will age horribly and be an albatross for this team that many will regret.
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
RFAANSCAP HIT
21 250 000 $
13 000 000 $
21 250 000 $
2800 000 $
UFAANSCAP HIT
11 500 000 $
23 000 000 $
Transactions
VAN
  1. Fleury, Marc-André
  2. Choix de 1e ronde en 2021 (VGK)
  3. Choix de 2e ronde en 2021 (VGK)
Rachats de contrats
Frais appliqués
Enfoui
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de VAN
Logo de VGK
Logo de VAN
Logo de VGK
Logo de VAN
Logo de VAN
Logo de VAN
Logo de VAN
Logo de VAN
Logo de VAN
Logo de VAN
Logo de VAN
Logo de VAN
Logo de VAN
Logo de VAN
Logo de VAN
Logo de VAN
Logo de VAN
Logo de VAN
Logo de VAN
Logo de VAN
Logo de VAN
Logo de VAN
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2381 500 000 $76 215 211 $1 700 000 $4 550 000 $5 284 789 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Canucks de Vancouver
5 250 000 $5 250 000 $
C, AG, AD
UFA - 3
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance2 850 000 $$3M)
C, AG
UFA - 1
5 875 000 $5 875 000 $
AD
UFA - 2
3 750 000 $3 750 000 $
AG
UFA - 1
4 125 000 $4 125 000 $
C
UFA - 3
3 000 000 $3 000 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 2
1 250 000 $1 250 000 $
C, AD
UFA - 1
1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 1
3 000 000 $3 000 000 $
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
825 000 $825 000 $
AD, C
UFA - 2
3 000 000 $3 000 000 $
AG
M-NTC
UFA - 2
1 250 000 $1 250 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 2
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
916 667 $916 667 $ (Bonis de performance850 000 $$850K)
DG
UFA - 1
6 000 000 $6 000 000 $
DD
NTC
UFA - 4
1 050 000 $1 050 000 $
G
UFA - 1
6 000 000 $6 000 000 $
DG
NMC
UFA - 1
3 000 000 $3 000 000 $
DD
UFA - 3
863 333 $863 333 $ (Bonis de performance850 000 $$850K)
DG
UFA - 1
700 000 $700 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
Logo de Golden Knights de Vegas
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
4 375 000 $4 375 000 $
AD, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
AG, AD
NMC
UFA - 3
6 000 000 $6 000 000 $
AG, AD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
DG/DD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
8 oct. 2020 à 12 h 16
Au-revoir Dorion
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 3,077
bye bye hughes, demko or petey next year. this should be a guide on how to lose an RFA to free agency
8 oct. 2020 à 12 h 21
Banni
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 733
Is Toffoli really looking for over 6?!
8 oct. 2020 à 12 h 48
Big Shoots
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,091
Quoting: Borocop
bye bye hughes, demko or petey next year. this should be a guide on how to lose an RFA to free agency

Don't see that happening
Boldirev a aimé ceci.
8 oct. 2020 à 12 h 50
Démarrer sujet
Mentions "j'aime": 200
Quoting: SmugTkachuk
Is Toffoli really looking for over 6?!

The "metrics" are suggesting 6.4M with term according to reports I have read. I don't know what his ask is......
SmugTkachuk a aimé ceci.
8 oct. 2020 à 12 h 54
Big Shoots
Quoting: Boldirev
The "metrics" are suggesting 6.4M with term according to reports I have read. I don't know what his ask is......

If we can get him at around 5-5.5 I'd do it. 6+ is a fairly easy let him walk.
8 oct. 2020 à 12 h 57
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: BigShoots
If we can get him at around 5-5.5 I'd do it. 6+ is a fairly easy let him walk.

Keeping Jake leads me to believe that the Canucks don't feel they can resign Toffoli. Just a guess though.
8 oct. 2020 à 12 h 59
Mentions "j'aime": 330

You dump, stupid or both. 30 million available the year after says there’s enough space
8 oct. 2020 à 12 h 59
Mentions "j'aime": 330
This probably the best most realistic option there is.
Boldirev a aimé ceci.
8 oct. 2020 à 13 h 16
Big Shoots
Keeping Jake leads me to believe that the Canucks don't feel they can resign Toffoli. Just a guess though.

Im not sure if I agree with that. He is an asset they feel still has room to grow. I don't know that it would be connected to Toffoli especially because I just don't Virtanen playing well on a 2nd line. Losing him to UFA would have been a disaster. At least now he can be traded and he has value.
8 oct. 2020 à 13 h 23
Démarrer sujet
Im not sure if I agree with that. He is an asset they feel still has room to grow. I don't know that it would be connected to Toffoli especially because I just don't Virtanen playing well on a 2nd line. Losing him to UFA would have been a disaster. At least now he can be traded and he has value.

I agree....somewhat. I think if Jake "gets it" he will be easily a top six player....I just love his tools. Everything out of the Canucks suggested that Jake was gone though and there were rumblings that they had a 2nd offered for him. Considering that Benning really wanted to add picks in the early rounds, the only reason I can think of that they didn't pull the trigger was because without Toffoli they are weak on the right side. This is pure conjecture of course....
8 oct. 2020 à 13 h 28
Au-revoir Dorion
Quoting: yztnuK
You dump, stupid or both. 30 million available the year after says there’s enough space

bold to think everyone wants the dumps. If you do this you lose all your depth and just become the leafs, enjoy
8 oct. 2020 à 13 h 30
Big Shoots
I agree....somewhat. I think if Jake "gets it" he will be easily a top six player....I just love his tools. Everything out of the Canucks suggested that Jake was gone though and there were rumblings that they had a 2nd offered for him. Considering that Benning really wanted to add picks in the early rounds, the only reason I can think of that they didn't pull the trigger was because without Toffoli they are weak on the right side. This is pure conjecture of course....

Sounds like we agree on Virtanen. I don't think he'll ever "get it" but that doesn't mean he can't be an effective player. In a bubble I think we would have taken a 2nd for him but my conjecture is that he is part of the potential OEL trade. Toffoli is a player they would love to sign but not if he thinks he's worth 6 mil.
Boldirev a aimé ceci.
8 oct. 2020 à 13 h 38
Démarrer sujet
bold to think everyone wants the dumps. If you do this you lose all your depth and just become the leafs, enjoy

Do what??? Toffoli and Markstrom are UFAs.... they actually get to decide where they want to sign and for how much. Vancouver has quite a bit of depth at both positions, just not ready for this year. You seem quite dramatic for some unexplained reason.....
8 oct. 2020 à 13 h 39
Démarrer sujet
Sounds like we agree on Virtanen. I don't think he'll ever "get it" but that doesn't mean he can't be an effective player. In a bubble I think we would have taken a 2nd for him but my conjecture is that he is part of the potential OEL trade. Toffoli is a player they would love to sign but not if he thinks he's worth 6 mil.

I really hope they don't trade for OEL....but unfortunately you may be correct.
8 oct. 2020 à 13 h 40
Au-revoir Dorion
Do what??? Toffoli and Markstrom are UFAs.... they actually get to decide where they want to sign and for how much. Vancouver has quite a bit of depth at both positions, just not ready for this year. You seem quite dramatic for some unexplained reason.....

im not im just not on board with the idea of brininging in a backup for 7m aav for 2 years while letting your UFAs (which they gave assets for) walk. That doesnt really scream progress to me. I think the picks are nice but sets their core back for 2-3 years at least
8 oct. 2020 à 13 h 50
Démarrer sujet
im not im just not on board with the idea of brininging in a backup for 7m aav for 2 years while letting your UFAs (which they gave assets for) walk. That doesnt really scream progress to me. I think the picks are nice but sets their core back for 2-3 years at least

They have made offers to both. Unfortunately the many bad contracts in the bottom 6 are impeding their ability to offer more. Demko is ready to start and Fleury is more than capable as a back up until Dipietro is ready. If losing Toffoli to free agency sets us back that much, we weren't that well off to begin with and probably shouldn't have made that trade at all. As the bad contracts fall away the Canucks can supplement in free agency. In two years all the cap constraints are gone, more prospects will have developed. Our real window to compete is still a few years away.
Borocop a aimé ceci.
8 oct. 2020 à 15 h 3
Big Shoots
I really hope they don't trade for OEL....but unfortunately you may be correct.

Im not sure it's a bad deal. We would be able to move Erikson in the deal. The biggest problem long term is Myers.
8 oct. 2020 à 16 h 23
Démarrer sujet
Im not sure it's a bad deal. We would be able to move Erikson in the deal. The biggest problem long term is Myers.

This will be more of the same. OEL is no longer an elite offensive D man and at an 8.5 cap hit it is already beyond a horrendous contract. Its not like he is more than average defensively to begin with and that will only get worse. To compound that, LD is at the very bottom of this teams list of needs. I don't get this from any perspective. Myers can be exposed in the ED, but even if he isn't picked having two over priced D is not a recipe for any long term success. Arizona will no doubt retain salary and eat a contract but that is just putting lipstick on a pig.
8 oct. 2020 à 18 h 12
Big Shoots
This will be more of the same. OEL is no longer an elite offensive D man and at an 8.5 cap hit it is already beyond a horrendous contract. Its not like he is more than average defensively to begin with and that will only get worse. To compound that, LD is at the very bottom of this teams list of needs. I don't get this from any perspective. Myers can be exposed in the ED, but even if he isn't picked having two over priced D is not a recipe for any long term success. Arizona will no doubt retain salary and eat a contract but that is just putting lipstick on a pig.

I think his decline is over blown. He has been playing on a team that hasn't been competitive really ever while he's been there. Add in that he didn't see eye to eye with his coach and you get a player who's motivation will have waned in the last couple yrs. That said he was an all star level defenseman and is still of the age he could really benefit from a change of scenery and joining an upstart team with ambition. You are right it would be nicer if he were a right shot but both he and Hughes can play the right side if necessary and we also have Edler's contract ending after the upcoming season so OEL could slide back to the left after one season.

How would you suggest improving the defense for the Canucks?
8 oct. 2020 à 21 h 19
Démarrer sujet
I think his decline is over blown. He has been playing on a team that hasn't been competitive really ever while he's been there. Add in that he didn't see eye to eye with his coach and you get a player who's motivation will have waned in the last couple yrs. That said he was an all star level defenseman and is still of the age he could really benefit from a change of scenery and joining an upstart team with ambition. You are right it would be nicer if he were a right shot but both he and Hughes can play the right side if necessary and we also have Edler's contract ending after the upcoming season so OEL could slide back to the left after one season.

How would you suggest improving the defense for the Canucks?

OEL is 29 and its fair to say his best days are behind him. Maybe I'm wrong, but watching him play over the past 2 years, OEL has not been the offensive force he once was and was not very good in his own end to boot, All the rationalizing of his drop in play is well and good, but there is no real reason to believe he will suddenly be full value for that contract once again. Can he play? Sure. Is he worth trading assets for....I doubt it. If you are going the trade route, I would suggest Fleury from Carolina or Manson from Anaheim, but they can always add some RD through free agency at much less cost and term One of Rathbone or Juolevi will/should play on the left side and maybe Rafferty on the right this year. They will no doubt have some kind of learning curve, but that will always be the case with young D. The playoff run was fun but lets not kid ourselves this team is not that close to really being in the hunt for a Stanley cup. They need a lot on the blue line and having 2 non elite defensemen eating up over 14M of cap does not seem like a winning formula long term to me. They need to acquire young cost controlled players to fill out the line up not older overpaid ones. This is a lesson Benning should have already learned, but it seems not.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage