Forums/Armchair-GM

Being Realistic

Créé par: handsomeIAN
Équipe: 2019-20 Maple Leafs de Toronto
Date de création initiale: 10 mai 2019
Publié: 10 mai 2019
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
Dealt Zaitsev to the Stars. People say you won't get anything back for him, but the thing is, you would; anyone who would trade for him thinks he is a Top4D and is going to expect to pay something for him. A mid-level prospect and a mid-round pick seems fair.
Dumped Marleau in Ottawa, paid them some picks and got DeMelo back. DeMelo is actually good and has been for years but who knows if OTT knows that and he's still a little old to really fit into a rebuild (or what GMs tend to think rebuild time frames are). Why does OTT want Marleau? After July 1st bonus is paid, he saves Melnyk $5M in real money below the cap floor.
Brown to EDM seems like a no-brainer (EDM's modis operandi) and Benning is actually pretty good at 5v5 but they probably don't know that.
Heed is cheap and a good D at 5v5, where he'll be playing.
As for Thornton, I had some cap money left over and figured why not upgrade on Gauthier, our worst remaining forward? SJS has a nightmarish cap situation next season and definitely can't spare this kind of cash for old Joe, who was still quite good this year, if they want to be in on Karlsson. Even then they may not be able to take him. I'd consider going higher on him, too.
Petan, I looked at his stats and though I philosophically prefer him to Gauthier, he wasn't all that so I figured let him show something with the Marlies.
And there you have: nothing fancy, but a considerably better squad by committee with a better cap outlook going forward, even suffering the major loss of the team's best defenceman, Jake Gardiner.
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
RFAANSCAP HIT
89 790 000 $
43 700 000 $
22 300 000 $
1830 000 $
1830 000 $
1730 000 $
UFAANSCAP HIT
21 200 000 $
13 500 000 $
Transactions
TOR
  1. Mascherin, Adam
  2. Choix de 4e ronde en 2021 (DAL)
OTT
  1. Marleau, Patrick
  2. Choix de 3e ronde en 2019 (TOR)
  3. Choix de 4e ronde en 2021 (TOR)
Rachats de contrats
Transactions impliquant une retenue de salaire
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de STL
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de DAL
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de EDM
Logo de SJS
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de DAL
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2283 000 000 $80 459 699 $0 $215 000 $2 540 301 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
2 250 000 $2 250 000 $
AD, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 2
11 000 000 $11 000 000 $
C, AG
NMC
UFA - 6
9 790 000 $9 790 000 $
AD
UFA - 6
3 700 000 $3 700 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 4
11 634 000 $11 634 000 $
C
UFA - 5
6 962 366 $6 962 366 $
AD
UFA - 5
925 000 $925 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
2 300 000 $2 300 000 $
AD
UFA - 3
775 000 $775 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 2
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
C, AG
UFA - 1
842 500 $842 500 $ (Bonis de performance82 500 $$82K)
AD
UFA - 1
675 000 $675 000 $
C
UFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG
UFA - 3
Logo de Sénateurs d'Ottawa
900 000 $900 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
4 000 000 $4 000 000 $
DG
UFA - 1
Logo de Oilers d'Edmonton
1 900 000 $1 900 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
863 333 $863 333 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1
1 200 000 $1 200 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
750 000 $750 000 $
G
UFA - 1
792 500 $792 500 $ (Bonis de performance132 500 $$132K)
DG
UFA - 1
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
5 300 000 $5 300 000 $
AD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
10 mai 2019 à 14 h 45
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 875
Marleau has a NMC and isn't waiving to go to Ottawa. Unless you're assuming that Marleau retires (no indications of him doing so), you're not moving his contract.
palhal a aimé ceci.
10 mai 2019 à 14 h 52
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,800
So you say Heed is good and he signs as RHD UFA for 1.2m. But Zaitsev and his 4.5m gets a return in a trade. Now I think Zaitsev is OK but wouldn't Heed and the Stars be 10 times signing for 3m?
Hence the trouble with trading 4.5m Zaitsev, thinking you get something in return, however than expecting to sign a competent NHLer for 1.2m
10 mai 2019 à 14 h 56
Bcarlo25
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 7,011
none of this is realistic. top to bottom
Lenny7 a aimé ceci.
10 mai 2019 à 15 h 1
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1
Quoting: staytru20
Marleau has a NMC and isn't waiving to go to Ottawa. Unless you're assuming that Marleau retires (no indications of him doing so), you're not moving his contract.

He said he'd consider a move if asked. It's possible he retires. If he did get traded, OTT would be a team that would make sense for him.
10 mai 2019 à 15 h 2
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Bcarlo25
none of this is realistic. top to bottom

Great opinion.
10 mai 2019 à 15 h 5
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: palhal
So you say Heed is good and he signs as RHD UFA for 1.2m. But Zaitsev and his 4.5m gets a return in a trade. Now I think Zaitsev is OK but wouldn't Heed and the Stars be 10 times signing for 3m?
Hence the trouble with trading 4.5m Zaitsev, thinking you get something in return, however than expecting to sign a competent NHLer for 1.2m

The NHL isn't exactly the most efficient league in terms of player evaluation and roster construction. Exhibit A: VGK is a top 5 team cobbled together from what other teams considered garbage. Never before has it been more obvious that most NHL mgmt teams are very stupid and nearly none of them could be accused of being particularly innovative or creative. Heed's contract projection comes from Evolving Wild's projection model, and I kicked in a little extra money.
10 mai 2019 à 15 h 6
Lenny7
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 11,051
"People say you won't get anything back for him, but the thing is, you would; anyone who would trade for him thinks he is a Top4D and is going to expect to pay something for him. A mid-level prospect and a mid-round pick seems fair."

tears of joy tears of joy tears of joy

I love these. You could ask just about every Leaf fan what the teams biggest need is, and they would either say "Top pairing RHD", or "Top 4 RHD".

It's also great because most people overvalue their own players/prospect. YOUR OWN FANS don't even think this guy is a top 4 dman. If he was, they wouldn't all be trading him away in every friggin' Leafs thread. Any team that's going to invest $20+ million dollars in this guy is going to want some sort of compensation to do so.
10 mai 2019 à 15 h 7
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 875
Quoting: handsomeIAN
He said he'd consider a move if asked. It's possible he retires. If he did get traded, OTT would be a team that would make sense for him.

He'd consider a move. Why the hell would he want to go to Ottawa with no chance whatsoever to get back in the playoffs.
10 mai 2019 à 15 h 10
Démarrer sujet
When I say realistic, I mean "feasible". This is not a prediction. It's along the lines of what I would try to achieve if I were the GM and wasn't looking to shake things up too much. If I was up for making bigger changes I'd probably trade Rielly and re-sign Gardiner.
10 mai 2019 à 15 h 11
Bcarlo25
Great opinion.

Trading Marleau to Ottawa is not feasible. It’s about as feasible as my bruins trading a 4th rounder for matthews
10 mai 2019 à 15 h 13
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Lenny7
"People say you won't get anything back for him, but the thing is, you would; anyone who would trade for him thinks he is a Top4D and is going to expect to pay something for him. A mid-level prospect and a mid-round pick seems fair."

tears of joy tears of joy tears of joy

I love these. You could ask just about every Leaf fan what the teams biggest need is, and they would either say "Top pairing RHD", or "Top 4 RHD".

It's also great because most people overvalue their own players/prospect. YOUR OWN FANS don't even think this guy is a top 4 dman. If he was, they wouldn't all be trading him away in every friggin' Leafs thread. Any team that's going to invest $20+ million dollars in this guy is going to want some sort of compensation to do so.

Look, NO ONE would trade for someone with this salary and term and harbour him as a SALARY DUMP. That is the unrealistic scenario. The only teams trading for Zaitsev will necessarily be one that believes he IS a rosterable D, hence they will be expecting to pay SOMETHING. If a Zaitsev deal gets done, there is zero chance you will see it getting done where a team takes him on as a salary dump; something will come back as a hockey trade.
GMs often have different thoughts then a fanbase or an analyst. This is not unusual or prohibitive of a deal and history demonstrates this clearly.
10 mai 2019 à 15 h 17
Démarrer sujet
Trading Marleau to Ottawa is not feasible. It’s about as feasible as my bruins trading a 4th rounder for matthews

What would be a feasible destination for Marleau, then? How many teams are trying to get to the cap floor? Or is he untradeable? He may be, just this is what I would be trying to do with him.
10 mai 2019 à 15 h 19
Bcarlo25
What would be a feasible destination for Marleau, then? How many teams are trying to get to the cap floor? Or is he untradeable? He may be, just this is what I would be trying to do with him.

totally, completely, 100% untradeable. He has a full no movement clause. He has a 35+ contract. He has a signing bonus that needs to be paid in full if he's bought out, and even if he's bought out the team that buys him out gets 0 cap relief. There is one feasible destination for Marleau, and it's toronto.

the marner contract isn't feasible either.
10 mai 2019 à 15 h 23
Démarrer sujet
totally, completely, 100% untradeable. He has a full no movement clause. He has a 35+ contract. He has a signing bonus that needs to be paid in full if he's bought out, and even if he's bought out the team that buys him out gets 0 cap relief. There is one feasible destination for Marleau, and it's toronto.

the marner contract isn't feasible either.

You could have just said "Marleau is probably untradeable" and that would have been fair.
A team like OTT wouldn't buy Marleau out, they'd play him. If you read what I wrote you'd see that after July 1st his money is paid save $1.25M. The contract would save Eugene Melnyk $5M real dollars. If you think it's unfeasible that Eugene wouldn't be somewhat interested in doing this, well, maybe you don't know Eugene. It's more whether Marleau would facilitate it or a similar deal.
I think the Marner contract is probably more than his real value. What do you think he'll get?
10 mai 2019 à 15 h 25
Bcarlo25
You could have just said "Marleau is probably untradeable" and that would have been fair.
A team like OTT wouldn't buy Marleau out, they'd play him. If you read what I wrote you'd see that after July 1st his money is paid save $1.25M. The contract would save Eugene Melnyk $5M real dollars. If you think it's unfeasible that Eugene wouldn't be somewhat interested in doing this, well, maybe you don't know Eugene. It's more whether Marleau would facilitate it or a similar deal.
I think the Marner contract is probably more than his real value. What do you think he'll get?

buuuuut he has a full no move clause. Why does he want to go to the worst team in the league when he's chasing a cup?

As for Marner, I think he'll get a bridge. 3x9 works, or maybe they go 5 years with him and he gets 10.5. An 8 year deal would be huge. 12 maybe? I don't think he wants an 8 year deal.
10 mai 2019 à 15 h 30
Démarrer sujet
buuuuut he has a full no move clause. Why does he want to go to the worst team in the league when he's chasing a cup?

Yea, he'd have to waive it. I agree that's the biggest "if". Again, not a prediction of what is going to happen, just an example of what I would try to do. Players have waived no-trades before and if the Leafs made it known that they didn't want him around then he might decide it's alright to leave. Most likely a floor/internal cap team would be interested in him if you could get him to waive; I guess OTT, NYR, ANA, maybe NYI?
10 mai 2019 à 15 h 36
Lenny7
Look, NO ONE would trade for someone with this salary and term and harbour him as a SALARY DUMP. That is the unrealistic scenario. The only teams trading for Zaitsev will necessarily be one that believes he IS a rosterable D, hence they will be expecting to pay SOMETHING. If a Zaitsev deal gets done, there is zero chance you will see it getting done where a team takes him on as a salary dump; something will come back as a hockey trade.
GMs often have different thoughts then a fanbase or an analyst. This is not unusual or prohibitive of a deal and history demonstrates this clearly.

"Salary dump" and "rosterable" can be put in the same sentence (Though 'rosterable' isn't a word, so it probably shouldn't...). I would never say that 100% of cap dumps don't still end up in the NHL, because they often do.

Here's a short list of reasons why he's a cap dump though:
-Toronto needs to shed cap. In this case, Zaitsev is the mediocre player that you're shedding, and he's owed a ton of money. Therefore, he's a cap dump.
-Nobody is going to step in to save the Leafs from themselves. If Zaitsev is moving, it's because the Leafs need to move him. Therefore, he's a cap dump.
-Zaitsev is a bottom pairing dman on any team with a solid D core. If this is the case, he's being overpaid, and is therefore a cap dump.
10 mai 2019 à 15 h 37
Démarrer sujet
As for Marner, I think he'll get a bridge. 3x9 works, or maybe they go 5 years with him and he gets 10.5. An 8 year deal would be huge. 12 maybe? I don't think he wants an 8 year deal.

I'm sorry, I didn't know that Mitch Marner was the best player in the NHL. I thought he was just a very good young player, probably elite, who came off a really good season where he had a lot of power play success and played with a bonafide elite center.
I don't understand how people believe that this guy should be paid more money than any player except Connor McDavid. They should honestly trade him or take the compensation if someone offers him that, or let him stew as an RFA. I'd be shopping him to see what I could get if his demands held at close to $10M for a long term deal as is. Wouldn't necessarily trade him but I'd see what offers were.
I would say the unjustified and crazy scenario is paying this guy McDavid money when every comparable says otherwise and he's an RFA.
10 mai 2019 à 15 h 38
Bcarlo25
Yea, he'd have to waive it. I agree that's the biggest "if". Again, not a prediction of what is going to happen, just an example of what I would try to do. Players have waived no-trades before and if the Leafs made it known that they didn't want him around then he might decide it's alright to leave. Most likely a floor/internal cap team would be interested in him if you could get him to waive; I guess OTT, NYR, ANA, maybe NYI?

Here is the problem: Marleau is playing for one reason, a stanley cup. He isn't playing just to play, he isn't playing for the last paycheck. He's made it clear he wants to keep playing, and that the reason he's playing is for a stanley cup, and he loves playing for the leafs. Now, let's just say in a hypothetical world (I think there's no chance of this), he would agree to waive his NMC, the only destinations he would agree to would be stanley cup contenders. Great. Only problem is, Stanley cup contenders don't have 6.25 million in cap space kicking around. Toronto is stuck with him.
10 mai 2019 à 15 h 40
Bcarlo25
I'm sorry, I didn't know that Mitch Marner was the best player in the NHL. I thought he was just a very good young player, probably elite, who came off a really good season where he had a lot of power play success and played with a bonafide elite center.
I don't understand how people believe that this guy should be paid more money than any player except Connor McDavid. They should honestly trade him or take the compensation if someone offers him that, or let him stew as an RFA. I'd be shopping him to see what I could get if his demands held at close to $10M for a long term deal as is. Wouldn't necessarily trade him but I'd see what offers were.
I would say the unjustified and crazy scenario is paying this guy McDavid money when every comparable says otherwise and he's an RFA.

He won't get 8 years. Matthews was demanding 13.8 for 8 years. They settled on 5. It will likely be 3 or 5 years of marner. 9 for the 3, 10-10.5 for the 5. They gave Matthews 11.634, Marner isn't taking under 10 in a long term deal, nor should he.
10 mai 2019 à 15 h 41
Lenny7

By any chance, are you just throwing team names out there and trying to make him stick somewhere now? Apart from Ottawa (who he wouldn't waive for), the other three teams that you named all either have their own potential cap issues (Anaheim if Kesler doesn't go on LTIR), or have the money to go out and sign an actual big name (NYR/NYI).

Next it'll be "Well Arizona is a cap floor team, so they should give up Chychrun so that they can get to the cap floor with Marleau".

Come on man.
10 mai 2019 à 15 h 42
Démarrer sujet
"Salary dump" and "rosterable" can be put in the same sentence (Though 'rosterable' isn't a word, so it probably shouldn't...). I would never say that 100% of cap dumps don't still end up in the NHL, because they often do.

Here's a short list of reasons why he's a cap dump though:
-Toronto needs to shed cap. In this case, Zaitsev is the mediocre player that you're shedding, and he's owed a ton of money. Therefore, he's a cap dump.
-Nobody is going to step in to save the Leafs from themselves. If Zaitsev is moving, it's because the Leafs need to move him. Therefore, he's a cap dump.
-Zaitsev is a bottom pairing dman on any team with a solid D core. If this is the case, he's being overpaid, and is therefore a cap dump.

Zaitsev has 5 years left. Can you name a historical cap dump deal that happened with this kind of term left? I can't.
You wouldn't trade him to a team with a "solid" RHD side. You'd trade him to one that has no one there but an injured Stephen Johns, plenty of cap room and a window they perceive as closing. So the Stars make sense. Reiterate: anyone trading for him necessarily believes he is a top4 player. It doesn't matter what the Leafs think of him. It matters what the other team thinks. Maybe no one out there wants him, but if they don't he's not moving. Not as a cap dump, unless the Leafs are throwing top prospects and 1st rounders into it. It cost Teuvo Teravainen+ to to dump two years of injured Bryan Bickell. The price to "dump" Zaitsev is prohibitive.
10 mai 2019 à 15 h 46
Démarrer sujet
By any chance, are you just throwing team names out there and trying to make him stick somewhere now? Apart from Ottawa (who he wouldn't waive for), the other three teams that you named all either have their own potential cap issues (Anaheim if Kesler doesn't go on LTIR), or have the money to go out and sign an actual big name (NYR/NYI).

Next it'll be "Well Arizona is a cap floor team, so they should give up Chychrun so that they can get to the cap floor with Marleau".

Come on man.

ANA has an internal cap, so I mentioned them. They also seem pretty dumb so who knows, maybe they think Marleau is good. Lou is the one that signed him and has the cap space. It was stupid to sign him then so I wouldn't rule out him acquiring him now. NYR, I'm not sure what they will be doing. I think that you can rebuild teams pretty quick but if they were looking to tank they could be a floor team. Unlikely though, I agree they're probably hunting. OTT is the best fit really.
I don't think it makes sense for ARZ.
10 mai 2019 à 15 h 50
Démarrer sujet
He won't get 8 years. Matthews was demanding 13.8 for 8 years. They settled on 5. It will likely be 3 or 5 years of marner. 9 for the 3, 10-10.5 for the 5. They gave Matthews 11.634, Marner isn't taking under 10 in a long term deal, nor should he.

Matthews is a lot better than Marner, though. I could see a shorter deal happening if he wants to bet on himself and get paid again (probably going to see more players do this going forward) but that's coming on a discount. I would certainly not be bridging him at $9MAAV/3 years.
10 mai 2019 à 15 h 52
Bcarlo25
Matthews is a lot better than Marner, though. I could see a shorter deal happening if he wants to bet on himself and get paid again (probably going to see more players do this going forward) but that's coming on a discount. I would certainly not be bridging him at $9MAAV/3 years.

Well, it's either that, or lose the player.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage