Forums/Armchair-GM

Jack Johnson is a solid top 6 D-man Change My Mind

Créé par: Quavo
Équipe: 2018-19 Penguins de Pittsburgh
Date de création initiale: 18 déc. 2018
Publié: 18 déc. 2018
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
Jack Johnson has no offensive value whatsoever and his possession numbers are pretty bad. But he isn't the reason why the Penguins have underachieved this year.

His shot suppression numbers are pretty good and from what I've watched during games he isn't that bad. He's rarely out of position, he's physical, he's a good shot blocker, and it seems like every game he makes a really good defensive play. He's a solid top 6 guy.

I respect analytics but I don't think it shows the full picture of what a player is worth and I don't think we should just offload him for a bag of chips when we're struggling specifically on Defense. I don't know if he's worth 3+ mil for the next five years but he isn't as bad as you guys say he is.

Just wait for Schultz to get back and we'll be fine. Love to hear your thoughts
Transactions impliquant une retenue de salaire
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de BUF
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de VGK
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2579 500 000 $79 624 059 $0 $982 500 $-124 059 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Penguins de Pittsburgh
3 750 000 $3 750 000 $
AG
UFA - 3
9 500 000 $9 500 000 $
C
NMC
UFA - 4
6 800 000 $6 800 000 $
AD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
750 000 $750 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 2
8 700 000 $8 700 000 $
C
NMC
UFA - 7
5 300 000 $5 300 000 $
AD
NTC
UFA - 5
734 167 $734 167 $ (Bonis de performance132 500 $$132K)
AG, AD
UFA - 1
3 000 000 $3 000 000 $
C, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 1
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 4
650 000 $650 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 1
2 100 000 $2 100 000 $
AG, C
UFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
650 000 $650 000 $
C, AG
UFA - 1
650 000 $650 000 $
AG, C
UFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
4 100 000 $4 100 000 $
DG
UFA - 5
7 250 000 $7 250 000 $
DD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
3 750 000 $3 750 000 $
G
UFA - 2
3 333 225 $3 333 225 $
DG
UFA - 4
5 500 000 $5 500 000 $
DD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
675 000 $675 000 $
G
UFA - 1
3 250 000 $3 250 000 $
DG
UFA - 5
650 000 $650 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
2 137 500 $2 137 500 $
DG/DD
UFA - 3
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance850 000 $$850K)
DG
UFA - 1
794 167 $794 167 $
DG
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
18 déc. 2018 à 20 h 16
Banni
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,491
tbh, I dont think he's been that bad either. Ya, his cap hit is kinda high, but he's been pretty solid imo.
Riddler a aimé ceci.
18 déc. 2018 à 20 h 27
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 23
THANK YOU! He is no offensive beast but to be fair, the majority of his shots get blocked. His PK is great, he blocks shots, he plays physical, and most importantly, he makes Sid happy. I also think he is a good puck mover too. I forget what game it was but him and Sid in OT were moving the puck better than anyone else that night. Definitely not the reason why we are losing...
18 déc. 2018 à 20 h 47
Hockey God Genius
Rejoint: juin 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 811
Analytics show Crosby is very good = Crosby is very good at hockey
Analytics show JJ is very bad = JJ is very bad at hockey
- The dude is on the ice almost every time we get scored on = he is very bad position wise
** did u watch the game last nite? He went across to lay hit (didnt even hit the dude) got him self out of position and resulted in a 2 on 1 and Ducks scored.
- The dude does not understand when to pinch and when not to pinch = everytime he does it is a 2 on 1 breakaway score (like last nite) ...actually (like the last 3 games)
BUT
If he wasnt allowed to ever pinch, didnt chase guys behind the net, could shot the puck without it getting blocked, didnt push everyone that blows by him into our own goalie , and was better at hockey .... i guess he could be a top 6 dman
pharrow et TheExpert a aimé ceci.
18 déc. 2018 à 20 h 49
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 12,165
I don't think it's just ability that has people not wanting him. He is 31and has already started to slow down a bit and he under contract for 4 more years after this year. Teams really aren't looking for a strictly defensive d man any more at least not to trade for. In todays NHL no matter what position you play you are still expected to play both end of the ice if you want to win.
If he only had another year on his contract you'd get a lot more offers. Now is he top a top 6 D man it depends on the other d on the team. I'm in Detroit and I would play him over Ericsson.
I watched PIT v ANA last night and I thought Johnson looked better than Maatta did last night.
18 déc. 2018 à 21 h 1
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Rejoint: avr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 44
Quoting: Sidstick87
Analytics show Crosby is very good = Crosby is very good at hockey
Analytics show JJ is very bad = JJ is very bad at hockey
- The dude is on the ice almost every time we get scored on = he is very bad position wise
** did u watch the game last nite? He went across to lay hit (didnt even hit the dude) got him self out of position and resulted in a 2 on 1 and Ducks scored.
- The dude does not understand when to pinch and when not to pinch = everytime he does it is a 2 on 1 breakaway score (like last nite) ...actually (like the last 3 games)
BUT
If he wasnt allowed to ever pinch, didnt chase guys behind the net, could shot the puck without it getting blocked, didnt push everyone that blows by him into our own goalie , and was better at hockey .... i guess he could be a top 6 dman

Did you also see the play he made against LA or Boston last week where he swatted the puck away from an empty net? He makes good plays and bad plays. So does Maatta, Oleksiak, and Letang but every time I come on here all I see is Jack Johnson for Carolina's 6th round pick. Kris Letang made one of the worst turnovers I've ever seen an NHL defenseman make against Chicago where he tried to get the puck out, gave it right up to Kane or whoever and they got an instant one timer. Maatta, Oleksiak, and Johnson are all below average yet the one who has the least trade value is the one these simpletons say we should trade. I'd argue Johnson is better than Maatta right now.
Riddler a aimé ceci.
18 déc. 2018 à 21 h 25
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 23
Quoting: aedoran
I don't think it's just ability that has people not wanting him. He is 31and has already started to slow down a bit and he under contract for 4 more years after this year. Teams really aren't looking for a strictly defensive d man any more at least not to trade for. In todays NHL no matter what position you play you are still expected to play both end of the ice if you want to win.
If he only had another year on his contract you'd get a lot more offers. Now is he top a top 6 D man it depends on the other d on the team. I'm in Detroit and I would play him over Ericsson.
I watched PIT v ANA last night and I thought Johnson looked better than Maatta did last night.

With the Pens being in win now, the term shouldn't matter to them as much as other teams of course. If they ever wanted to move him, it wouldn't be cheap but not too expensive. Scuderi and Hunwick got moved (obviously on less term.) Contract is the only really bad thing about Johnson. His play is way better than people give him credit for. I'll take that contract to have his play in the playoffs
aedoran a aimé ceci.
18 déc. 2018 à 23 h 16
Banni
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 4,837
JJ plays a physical game, he hits, but please don't excuse that for good hockey. He's awful. If he could learn that when he's the last man back he shouldn't be pinching leaving to fast breaks, and that defense men aren't suppose to wander all over the ice to lay a hit he'd be worth a damn. But that simply doesn't stick into his head. He's always out there trying to be the hero and being exposed. The team doesn't need a hero defense man, they need someone who can stop goals from going in. I'm not sure what you are talking about as far as shot suppression. Our goalies have been lit up like a Christmas tree as of lately. And he's on the ice for a part of that too.

You people are either completely blind, don't watch games, or have no understanding of what a defense man should do.
Don't get me wrong, it's not all JJ fault. But when a guy is on the ice for 30 some goals and you can directly look at him as being a reason for a lot of them you can't be serious to say he's not the problem.
You could say the same thing about letang. Against the ducks Letang was directly responsible for the goal off the face off. The penguins winger pressed forward to the next level for his defensive responsibility on the Anaheim defense man aka to stop a 1 timer slap shot, and Letang was directly responsible for the Ducks winger closest to the goal who was left uncovered. He did not engage, tie him up etc.... and he scored a goal. That goal is directly on letang who frankly got no help from the goalie who didn't stop an easy shot.
You can make direct relations to who is responsible for goals getting scored. JJ is probably more responsible for goals being scored against this team than any defense man on the ice. Followed by Letang and Oleksiak. But at least Oleksiak brings something to the table. He keeps teams honest in a way JJ will never do. He also is a pretty solid 3rd pairing guy which is all he was suppose to be.
18 déc. 2018 à 23 h 38
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Rejoint: avr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 44
Quoting: pharrow
JJ plays a physical game, he hits, but please don't excuse that for good hockey. He's awful. If he could learn that when he's the last man back he shouldn't be pinching leaving to fast breaks, and that defense men aren't suppose to wander all over the ice to lay a hit he'd be worth a damn. But that simply doesn't stick into his head. He's always out there trying to be the hero and being exposed. The team doesn't need a hero defense man, they need someone who can stop goals from going in. I'm not sure what you are talking about as far as shot suppression. Our goalies have been lit up like a Christmas tree as of lately. And he's on the ice for a part of that too.

You people are either completely blind, don't watch games, or have no understanding of what a defense man should do.
Don't get me wrong, it's not all JJ fault. But when a guy is on the ice for 30 some goals and you can directly look at him as being a reason for a lot of them you can't be serious to say he's not the problem.
You could say the same thing about letang. Against the ducks Letang was directly responsible for the goal off the face off. The penguins winger pressed forward to the next level for his defensive responsibility on the Anaheim defense man aka to stop a 1 timer slap shot, and Letang was directly responsible for the Ducks winger closest to the goal who was left uncovered. He did not engage, tie him up etc.... and he scored a goal. That goal is directly on letang who frankly got no help from the goalie who didn't stop an easy shot.
You can make direct relations to who is responsible for goals getting scored. JJ is probably more responsible for goals being scored against this team than any defense man on the ice. Followed by Letang and Oleksiak. But at least Oleksiak brings something to the table. He keeps teams honest in a way JJ will never do. He also is a pretty solid 3rd pairing guy which is all he was suppose to be.

So because he doesn't stop every two on one he's a bad defenseman? He shouldn't even have to be in a two on one situation, if he is it means the other defenseman ****ed up or there was a bad change. Let me rank the Pens defenseman for you: 1. Letang (barely) 2. Dumoulin (extremely underrated) 3. Schultz. Those are 3 solid defenseman and everyone else is at around the same skill level; that being Maatta, Oleksiak, and Johnson. There hasn't been enough time to properly assess Petterson.

Shot suppression means preventing shots from reaching the net whether that's blocks or redirections. JJ leads the team with 57 blocks in 33 games which is almost 2 a game. He also leads the team with 98 hits and is a physical presence on the ice. He is Ian Cole for 1 mil cheaper

Now my argument wasn't that he should play 20 minutes a night or that he belongs on the top 4. My argument was that he isn't as bad as everyone says he is, the mob hate of him is unjustified, and he shouldn't be traded away for nothing just because his contract is bad. You can't seriously tell me that he is worse than Ruhwedel, Riikola, or any other guy we have in the AHL. He isn't costing us games defensively any more than Maatta, Oleksiak, or even Letang.
Riddler a aimé ceci.
18 déc. 2018 à 23 h 57
Banni
Mentions "j'aime": 4,837
Quoting: Quavo
So because he doesn't stop every two on one he's a bad defenseman? He shouldn't even have to be in a two on one situation, if he is it means the other defenseman ****ed up or there was a bad change. Let me rank the Pens defenseman for you: 1. Letang (barely) 2. Dumoulin (extremely underrated) 3. Schultz. Those are 3 solid defenseman and everyone else is at around the same skill level; that being Maatta, Oleksiak, and Johnson. There hasn't been enough time to properly assess Petterson.

Shot suppression means preventing shots from reaching the net whether that's blocks or redirections. JJ leads the team with 57 blocks in 33 games which is almost 2 a game. He also leads the team with 98 hits and is a physical presence on the ice. He is Ian Cole for 1 mil cheaper

Now my argument wasn't that he should play 20 minutes a night or that he belongs on the top 4. My argument was that he isn't as bad as everyone says he is, the mob hate of him is unjustified, and he shouldn't be traded away for nothing just because his contract is bad. You can't seriously tell me that he is worse than Ruhwedel, Riikola, or any other guy we have in the AHL. He isn't costing us games defensively any more than Maatta, Oleksiak, or even Letang.

I don't think you watch the games. It's not that he's not stopping the 2 on 1's it's that he is the cause of them when he goes to make a hit and the puck gets past him and there is no help. You don't pinch if someone can't cover your responsibility if you don't get the puck. That doesn't sink into his head. Also blocking shots does not equate to shot suppression. The goalies have been getting peppered with 40+ shots a night lately. There has clearly been no shot suppression even with all the shots blocked anywhere on the team. They need to clear the puck out of their end of the ice and they aren't doing that. I could go on some time for why that is. If you want a list lets start with the fact that they don't stand anyone up at the blue line and the other team knows it so they skate right in, which includes JJ. They have a few players who don't ever engage in contact. They tend to be on the same line too which is problematic. aka Malkin and Kessel. You saw that yet again in the ducks game where Malkin again didn't engage in a hit on the boards and it resulted in a goal. They keep making cross ice passes that are ill advised. See Guentzel getting benched for one against the ducks. There are a whole slew of reasons for the bad play. But what I don't do is drink the kool aid in thinking that JJ has not been part of that. When there is a mound of film showing he is.

As I stated earlier. You can directly link JJ to being the cause of more goals than any defense man on that team. It's why he is on the ice for over 30 5v5 goals against. Sidstick87 pointed another one out to you above. like 2 games ago he stood their flat footed when him and Maatta got split and torched for a goal. He's always way out of place. He doesn't understand he needs to stick himself near the goal post and not wander out to where the forwards are defending. As I said, he's not the only problem on this team, but that doesn't mean he isn't one.

Why you choose to be blind is insane. Every other pens fan out there didn't come to this conclusion out of some bitterness toward JJ. Neither did the bluejackets staff when the benched him last year. His play is what it is. And it's been bad.
19 déc. 2018 à 2 h 32
True Reverse Retro
Rejoint: mars 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 3,057
I haven't watched the Pens at all this season, but his shot suppression numbers are actually not great. He's 4th worst on the Pens roster with a -59 SAT, meaning he's been on the ice for 59 more shots for than shots against. Not saying he isn't a solid top-6, but his shot suppression numbers are pretty lackluster.
19 déc. 2018 à 3 h 19
ComYog
Rejoint: juill. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 111
He has great value as an exposable player to Seattle
19 déc. 2018 à 9 h 44
Rejoint: juill. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 59
I've been saying this for months now, but he was never going to be good right off the bat. JJ and Pettersson remind me of Dumo and Lovejoy in 2016. A young, up-and-coming player paired with a vet who's had his struggles. If they continue to mesh they can be just as effective. We'll truly know what we have in Johnson when the playoffs begin.
Riddler a aimé ceci.
19 déc. 2018 à 10 h 38
jimmmyg
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 191
I think he has played much better alongside of Pettersson and in a more limited role, but he gets lost on the ice almost every game. He isn't terrible, but he isn't worth it to me. Chad Ruhwedel fills a similar role playing 10-14 minutes a night and costs $2.5m less. Even Riikola has been able to play a bottom pairing role just fine. To me, it just seems like he has trouble with the little things like clearing pucks, tape-to-tape outlet passes, playing strong behind his own net, etc. I have seen him hop in some transitions and create some decent rushes and I thought he had two great games against Boston and LA. He definitely is a top6 defensemen in the NHL, but there are plenty of options at cheaper costs to fill with and to avoid me having to hold my breath in our own zone as much
19 déc. 2018 à 11 h 5
Rejoint: juin 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 80
Other stat driven facts. Kris Letang also on the ice for 30 even strength goals. Is second on the team in giveaways(turnovers) with 36. Malkin leads with 42. JJ has 11
Malkin and Kessel are a teamworst at GA per 60 min. Malkin is also a team worst at a minus 14.
Analytics would have Dominik Simon appear to the best Pens forward has he has the highest Corsi and Fenwick percentages.
So to sum up Letang is just as bad defensively as JJ maybe worse because he is a turnover machine. Malkin is the biggest defensive liability one the ice. Simon should get 8mil a year. Ok that Simon thing is obviously ridiculous and i was purposely being sarcastic so don't blow up over it but analytics and stats can be made to show anything.

I'm not saying JJ is great. he isn't. But he isn't as bad as ppl seem and not the reason the Pens have under achieved. If you thought JJ was brought into to be the stabilizing force on the defense you were mistaken and your expectations were in fantasy land. If you thought he was going to be a 4/5 defenseman that would add some snarl then you are getting what you expect. Problem is he is getting paid more than his actual role dictates. He is also playing a role that he isn't suited for due to the mess our blueline is in. His salary is the GM's fault. JJ probaly should have gotten a 1 or 2 year prove it deal. not a Long term deal with security.
Riddler a aimé ceci.
19 déc. 2018 à 12 h 26
CAPS2018CHAMPS
Mentions "j'aime": 63
I think his value as a bottom pairing D is fine and his cap hit maybe is a little high, but as a Caps fan I was just surprised at the term. Also, he hasn't been able to play with a good complementary D partner since Schultz went down. I feel like he will be a prime Seattle pick with draft pick incentive.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage