Forums/Armchair-GM

BEFORE Trading for Karlsson

Créé par: OldNYIfan
Équipe: 2018-19 Lightning de Tampa Bay
Date de création initiale: 24 juill. 2018
Publié: 24 juill. 2018
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
I keep hearing that Ottawa will not trade Karlsson this year (so, theoretically preferring to let him walk in 2019 -- Hah!) without also offloading the Bobby Ryan salary albatross. I have trouble seeing how that would work. Here's how the roster looks with Ryan Callahan on LTIR: $5.8M in cap space. Adding Karlsson alone puts Tampa over, so presumably Dotchin or Erne would have to go the other way. Note that the only players with salaries above $1M without NTC's or NMC's are Kucherov, Miller and Vasilevskiy, and who's trading them? And even if you could fit Karlsson in this year, (a) how would you fit Ryan, and (b) how could you re-sign Kucherov, Paquette, Gourde, Coburn and Dotchin next year (even assuming you let McDonagh, Stralman and Girardi walk)? Do the math.
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
UFAANSCAP HIT
31 666 666 $
11 000 000 $
Rachats de contrats
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de TBL
Logo de TBL
Logo de TBL
Logo de TBL
Logo de TBL
Logo de TBL
Logo de TBL
Logo de TBL
Logo de TBL
Logo de TBL
Logo de TBL
Logo de TBL
Logo de TBL
Logo de TBL
Logo de TBL
Logo de TBL
Logo de TBL
Logo de TBL
Logo de TBL
Logo de TBL
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2379 500 000 $72 842 946 $142 947 $1 032 500 $6 657 054 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
5 300 000 $5 300 000 $
AG, AD
NTC
UFA - 4
8 500 000 $8 500 000 $
AG, C
NMC
UFA - 6
4 766 667 $4 766 667 $
AD
UFA - 1
4 450 000 $4 450 000 $
AD, AG
NTC
UFA - 5
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
AD, C, AG
NTC
UFA - 6
5 250 000 $5 250 000 $
C, AG, AD
UFA - 5
800 000 $800 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
1 000 000 $1 000 000 $
C, AG, AD
UFA - 1
1 666 666 $1 666 666 $
AD
UFA - 1
677 500 $677 500 $
AG, C
UFA - 1
1 000 000 $1 000 000 $
C, AG, AD
UFA - 1
686 667 $686 667 $ (Bonis de performance182 500 $$182K)
C, AD
UFA - 1
650 000 $650 000 $
AG
UFA - 1
1 000 000 $1 000 000 $
C
UFA
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
7 875 000 $7 875 000 $
DG
NMC
UFA - 7
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
DD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
G
UFA - 2
4 700 000 $4 700 000 $
DG
M-NTC
UFA - 1
3 000 000 $3 000 000 $
DD
NTC
UFA - 1
1 150 000 $1 150 000 $
G
UFA - 2
3 700 000 $3 700 000 $
DG
M-NTC
UFA - 1
800 000 $800 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
894 166 $894 166 $ (Bonis de performance850 000 $$850K)
DG/DD
UFA - 2
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
5 800 000 $5 800 000 $
AD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
24 juill. 2018 à 19 h 52
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 214
WHY would they let McDonagh and Stralman walk and re-sign Coburn? Girardi's a lot more likely to stay than Coburn, as well, and he wouldn't cost that much at his age and production (but is still better than Coburn). Dotchin's also not worth any more than his current contract; he maybe gets $1m. Same with Paquette (either he keeps his current contract, or he walks and it doesn't even matter). The only way Coburn stays is if Foote, Cernak, Masin, Thomas, Dotchin, and Koekkoek all turn out to be busts and no team is willing to make a reasonable trade. Actually, McDonagh's already been extended, so letting him walk isn't even an option. Kucherov's also already been extended for $9.5m.

Players like Callahan and Coburn don't have a full NTC, and can block trades only to teams on his 16 team list, so they can be traded. I'd say there are more than 16 teams with enough space to take Coburn or Callahan with a draft sweetener, and there are many teams that could benefit from these players for the short remainder of their contracts. Also, though J.T. Miller had an impressive streak on a line with Stamkos and Kucherov, for the right return, he could be traded (unlike Kucherov or Vasilevskiy, who are obviously untouchable).

Callahan may not have NYR on his no-trade list, as he's from Rochester and used to play for NYR (even if he'd prefer Tampa, if New York isn't on his list, he can't block it). There's also a chance that, when Seattle comes, Tyler Johnson waives his NTC to go in the expansion draft, since he's from Spokane (for free, that would be a bad loss for the Lightning, but considering the upcoming expansion draft, they're going to have to lose somebody good).

The Lightning can get Karlsson and afford him at $6.5m. The problem is extending Point, Karlsson, and Gourde at the same time, especially as McDonagh and Kucherov's cap hits both go up. Karlsson would have to take a discount (less than $10m for sure), and Point would have to accept a cheap bridge deal (and Yzerman would then have to clear out cap in a few years to pay him a ton of money). I ran through it at https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/157537 (with Karlsson). They would have to find a third team willing to take Bobby Ryan in exchange for picks/prospects, which would have to be a team not included on Ryan's 10 team no-trade list. But, if the Senators attach Ryan to a Karlsson deal, the return going to Ottawa drops significantly, especially considering the Senators have their hands tied due to Karlsson confirming that he does not intend to re-sign with the Senators under Melnyk.

I ran through one potential stimulation for the Lightning to manage Karlsosn at https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/157537 . All of those things have to work exactly right, otherwise they end up losing an important asset. If you take away Karlsson's cap hit, you have room to keep a few of the players who were traded (J.T. Miller would be particularly good to keep if possible), and can maintain more prospect depth (so within the next couple of years, they're still deep at forward).

As Yzerman said, they can take Karlsson, but it will require some difficult cap manipulation. But it is possible.

Also, you're overpaying Chiasson.
OldNYIfan et Kotkaniemi15 a aimé ceci.
24 juill. 2018 à 19 h 54
Log off the internet
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,867
We already signed McDonagh to an extension so I have a feeling he won't walk in free agency.

And Chiasson/Winnik are just Conacher clones.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
24 juill. 2018 à 20 h 2
Démarrer sujet
Once a Kings Fan Too
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 25,433
Quoting: I_Know_Nothing_About_Hockey_Or_Any_Sport2
WHY would they let McDonagh and Stralman walk and re-sign Coburn? Girardi's a lot more likely to stay than Coburn, as well, and he wouldn't cost that much at his age and production (but is still better than Coburn). Dotchin's also not worth any more than his current contract; he maybe gets $1m. Same with Paquette (either he keeps his current contract, or he walks and it doesn't even matter). The only way Coburn stays is if Foote, Cernak, Masin, Thomas, Dotchin, and Koekkoek all turn out to be busts and no team is willing to make a reasonable trade. Actually, McDonagh's already been extended, so letting him walk isn't even an option. Kucherov's also already been extended for $9.5m.

Players like Callahan and Coburn don't have a full NTC, and can block trades only to teams on his 16 team list, so they can be traded. I'd say there are more than 16 teams with enough space to take Coburn or Callahan with a draft sweetener, and there are many teams that could benefit from these players for the short remainder of their contracts. Also, though J.T. Miller had an impressive streak on a line with Stamkos and Kucherov, for the right return, he could be traded (unlike Kucherov or Vasilevskiy, who are obviously untouchable).

Callahan may not have NYR on his no-trade list, as he's from Rochester and used to play for NYR (even if he'd prefer Tampa, if New York isn't on his list, he can't block it). There's also a chance that, when Seattle comes, Tyler Johnson waives his NTC to go in the expansion draft, since he's from Spokane (for free, that would be a bad loss for the Lightning, but considering the upcoming expansion draft, they're going to have to lose somebody good).

The Lightning can get Karlsson and afford him at $6.5m. The problem is extending Point, Karlsson, and Gourde at the same time, especially as McDonagh and Kucherov's cap hits both go up. Karlsson would have to take a discount (less than $10m for sure), and Point would have to accept a cheap bridge deal (and Yzerman would then have to clear out cap in a few years to pay him a ton of money). I ran through it at https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/157537 (with Karlsson). They would have to find a third team willing to take Bobby Ryan in exchange for picks/prospects, which would have to be a team not included on Ryan's 10 team no-trade list. But, if the Senators attach Ryan to a Karlsson deal, the return going to Ottawa drops significantly, especially considering the Senators have their hands tied due to Karlsson confirming that he does not intend to re-sign with the Senators under Melnyk.

I ran through one potential stimulation for the Lightning to manage Karlsosn at https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/157537 . All of those things have to work exactly right, otherwise they end up losing an important asset. If you take away Karlsson's cap hit, you have room to keep a few of the players who were traded (J.T. Miller would be particularly good to keep if possible), and can maintain more prospect depth (so within the next couple of years, they're still deep at forward).

As Yzerman said, they can take Karlsson, but it will require some difficult cap manipulation. But it is possible.

Also, you're overpaying Chiasson.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I Know Nothing About Hockey my *%%. That was great input. Thanks! As for Chiasson, I routinely overpay UFA guys who have breakout years. I'm always wrong, too (Demelo, Grant, Nosek . . .)
24 juill. 2018 à 20 h 4
Démarrer sujet
Once a Kings Fan Too
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 25,433
Quoting: Hedman77
We already signed McDonagh to an extension so I have a feeling he won't walk in free agency.

I didn't see it until today. Sorry!

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage