Forums/Armchair-GM

Retool year 2 rebuild the pipeline

Créé par: tupty
Équipe: 2024-25 Bruins de Boston
Date de création initiale: 3 juin 2024
Publié: 16 juin 2024
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
The theme of the re-tool last year: weather the cap storm with moneyball signings
The theme of the re-tool this year: rebuild the prospect pipeline, weaponsize cap space to maximize trade returns, and let the kids play

We should use our assets to trade for picks or prospects. This ACGM aggressively pursues prospects who are still young enough that their future is not clear, and it does so by retaining on players to make trades possible. The goal is to accelerate the prospect pipeline rebuild by acquiring recent selections, rather than accruing first round picks. These kids could see the NHL ice time within 2-3 years if they pan out, while picks are more likely on the 4-5 year time scale.

As for the UFA signings:
* Get someone to improve our center defense and faceoffs to take pressure off of the D men in closeout situations. In a perfect world, they can push Zacha to the wing and hopefully improve first line scoring.
* Get a short-term insurance policy on the left side D for if Lohrei has growing pains. Preferably a defensive defenseman who can PK and be hard to play against. Bonus points for being able to fight.
* Let the kids play. Give Lysell the first shot and let Poitras have some time in the AHL to recover from surgery. If Lysell struggles, send him back down and call up Poitras to be 3C. Heinen is the insurance policy who can slot up into the 2nd line.

Heinen's contract is probably a bit low, but he can have a very plausible performance bonus and a stretch performance bonus to supplement his base salary. Perhaps something like 500k for playing at least 40 games in a season and 500k more if he has over 15 g. That makes his real contract more like 2.5mx3 years with a chance to make it 3m in any given year if he has a good season.

This roster construction takes some strategic gambles, but this team is much better defensively. They will still struggle to score, and they won't be better in net, but they will be much better positioned coming out of the re-tool than if they were to sign another aging forward to a contract that they will likely regret within 2-3 years.
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
RFAANSCAP HIT
2850 000 $
87 750 000 $
UFAANSCAP HIT
77 500 000 $
23 000 000 $
32 000 000 $
Transactions
BOS
  1. Georgiev, Alexandar
  2. Ritchie, Calum [Liste de réserve]
Détails additionnels:
Rather than going all-in via UFA and picking up a contract with a questionable lifetime with Ullmark's cap space, the Bruins commit to another year of re-tooling. Ritchie instantly joins Poitras as one of the most promising centers in the Bruins pipeline.

Ritchie not only fills a hole in our prospect pipeline, but he was selected last year.
COL
  1. Ullmark, Linus (1 600 000 $ retained)
  2. Choix de 3e ronde en 2025 (BOS)
Détails additionnels:
Retention makes this a pure salary swap goalie upgrade. I think Ullmark/Annunen could compete for the Jennings, but I think with Georgiev/Annunen you need to worry about the goaltending faltering at the wrong time or needing to lean on one single guy too much. With that said, Georgiev could still be a capable starter, so this move would be more about mitigating risk in net during a contending window. A 3rd going from Boston helps smooth things over. Retention is in place just to help the deal go through.

Avs are granted permission to discuss a long term extension, which may be required for both Ullmark and the Avs in order to make the deal go through.
BOS
  1. Ziemmer, Koehn
Détails additionnels:
Would take Ziemmer or Pinelli. Basically looking for mid-tier forward prospects with top 6 upside and middle 6 projections.

Pinelli's game is more well-rounded and he is closer to making the jump to the NHL, but he struggled in the AHL last year. With PLD not panning out last year, I could imagine some Kings fans want to keep him as an insurance policy as a 3C or 2C when Denault's contract is up.

Ziemmer's ceiling seems higher at this point, but the variance is also greater in terms of whether or not his game will translate. He is a pure RW, so there is also less positional flexibility. I think he is higher in the Athletic's prospect rankings than Pinelli, but at this point between these two it is a crapshoot IMO.
LAK
  1. Georgiev, Alexandar (1 700 000 $ retained)
Détails additionnels:
In an offseason where the Kings need to fill a lot of roster holes and re-sign Byfield with 20m in space, the Bruins retain salary to give the Kings good value on a guy who can be a starter, but who needs to play fewer games than what he played in Colorado. Georgiev can be paired with Rittich, Portillo, or a vet backup. If Georgiev sticks, then maybe he gets re-signed and become a tandem for a season or two until Portillo becomes the de-facto starter. If he stinks, then the Kings are paying backup-level money for a starter, and he will be gone after 1 year.
BOS
    Praise for a BOS-NJ trade that doesn't involve Ullmark
    NJD
      Return of the King: RFA rights for Jesper Boqvist
      Rachats de contrats
      Transactions impliquant une retenue de salaire
      Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
      Logo de BOS
      Logo de BOS
      Logo de BOS
      Logo de BOS
      Logo de BOS
      Logo de BOS
      Logo de BOS
      Logo de BOS
      Logo de BOS
      Logo de BOS
      Logo de BOS
      Logo de BOS
      Logo de BOS
      TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
      2388 000 000 $87 051 667 $50 000 $520 000 $948 333 $

Formation

Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
      Logo de Bruins de Boston
      4 750 000 $4 750 000 $
      C, AG
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      7 500 000 $7 500 000 $
      C, AD
      UFA - 7
      Logo de Bruins de Boston
      11 250 000 $11 250 000 $
      AD
      NMC
      UFA - 7
      Logo de Bruins de Boston
      6 125 000 $6 125 000 $
      AG
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      Logo de Bruins de Boston
      5 250 000 $5 250 000 $
      C, AD
      M-NTC, NMC
      UFA - 2
      Logo de Bruins de Boston
      863 333 $863 333 $ (Bonis de performance212 500 $$212K)
      AD
      RFA - 2
      Logo de Bruins de Boston
      2 300 000 $2 300 000 $
      AG, AD
      UFA - 1
      Logo de Bruins de Boston
      2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
      C, AD
      RFA - 1
      Logo de Bruins de Boston
      2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
      AG, AD
      UFA - 2
      Logo de Bruins de Boston
      867 500 $867 500 $ (Bonis de performance57 500 $$58K)
      C
      RFA - 1
      Logo de Bruins de Boston
      925 000 $925 000 $
      C
      RFA - 1
      Logo de Bruins de Boston
      775 000 $775 000 $
      AD
      UFA - 1
      Logo de Bruins de Boston
      787 500 $787 500 $
      AG, AD
      RFA - 1
      Logo de Bruins de Boston
      800 000 $800 000 $
      C, AD
      UFA - 1
      Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
      Logo de Bruins de Boston
      6 500 000 $6 500 000 $
      DG
      NTC, NMC
      UFA - 6
      Logo de Bruins de Boston
      9 500 000 $9 500 000 $
      DD
      NMC
      UFA - 6
      Logo de Bruins de Boston
      7 750 000 $7 750 000 $
      G
      RFA
      Logo de Bruins de Boston
      925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance250 000 $$250K)
      DG
      RFA - 1
      Logo de Bruins de Boston
      4 100 000 $4 100 000 $
      DD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      Logo de Bruins de Boston
      850 000 $850 000 $
      G
      UFA - 1
      3 000 000 $3 000 000 $
      DG
      UFA - 3
      Logo de Bruins de Boston
      2 750 000 $2 750 000 $
      DD
      UFA - 2
      Logo de Bruins de Boston
      800 000 $800 000 $
      DG
      UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
      • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
      17 juin à 19 h 40
      Démarrer sujet
      Good nerd
      Rejoint: juin 2023
      Mentions "j'aime": 525
      Quoting: Gofnut999
      He is a backup caliber goalie on a good team. Starter for bad or desperate team.

That's an exaggeration. He's ideally used as a 1A but he is overused and he had an alarming multi-week funk at the end of the regular season last year. Saying he is a backup implies that there are 32 goalies in this league better than him, which sounds completely wrong. The state of goaltending in the league is pretty terrible.
      17 juin à 20 h 34
      Démarrer sujet
      Good nerd
      Quoting: Xqb15a
      Ulmark is not a significant upgrade it’s disingenuous to sell it as such. Hilariously bad take that the guy who led the league in wins is back up level. Ulmark has played the last few years with Swayman as his running mate keeping his workload levels at a much easier level as well as zero sense of urgency because the alternate wasn’t a question mark. Georgiev was so over used this year it was ridiculous. He couldn’t ever take off back to back games especially once the wheels fell off on Prosvetov (unfortunately I saw that implosion in person). Outside of game 1 against the Jets he was excellent in the playoffs, and if it was solely the case of the Avs being so good why didn’t they beat the Stars he was the only reason they made it to double OT in games 6 vs the stars. Imo Georgiev and Ulmark are in the exact same tier some where depending on the day between 7 and 15 and you sure as hell don’t kick in your top prospect to stay in the same tier, hell you don’t even get an extra year. The whole thing is ridiculous

I agree that the previous post was disingenuous in calling Georgiev a backup, but I think you have over-corrected when you say these two are in the same tier. You don't need to agree with my trade proposal, but I feel like you have fallen back into "defending my guys" mode.

You are right to put goalies in a range, because their performance does vary a lot. However, by the eye test, I'd say Ullmark is probably somewhere around 5-10 in the league and Georgiev probably fluctuates somewhere in the 15-30 range, where that ordering depends on how other guys in that range around the league are playing just as much as his own play. If you go by regular season GAA and sv%, last year Ullmark was 9 in both and Georgiev was outside of the top 30 in both. Even if I exclude April, or April and March, his general ranking in those stats is in the 30s and 40s range in the league. If we go back the season prior, Georgiev was in the 10-15 range for those stats, while Ullmark was 1 in both. And if we look at fancystats like GSAA to try to isolate the individual performance from the team performance, Ullmark was #1 in 22/23 and #3 in 23/24. Georgiev was an impressive #3 in 22/23, but he fell to #55 in 23/24 (#44 if I only include games through to the beginning of March).

I think both of these guys played to their absolute ceilings in 22/23 and I doubt either one can replicate it going forward. Ullmark probably fell back to his mean performance this year, and Georgiev ultimately probably did not reach his mean performance. He will probably bounce back, as evidenced by his playoff performance. But I still think he'll be a bottom half of the league starter. The good news is that Annunen kid looks promising, so he can hopefully take some of the starts from Georgiev. If that happens, I could see Georgiev moving back up into the 15-10 range. And if Annunen looks good, maybe he becomes the future starter on a cheap contract.
      17 juin à 20 h 57
      Rejoint: janv. 2017
      Mentions "j'aime": 9,046
      Quoting: tupty
      That's an exaggeration. He's ideally used as a 1A but he is overused and he had an alarming multi-week funk at the end of the regular season last year. Saying he is a backup implies that there are 32 goalies in this league better than him, which sounds completely wrong. The state of goaltending in the league is pretty terrible.

No it is not. Go look at his stats. He has been average to below average all but 1 year of his career. Year before. A year that was way out of his norm. He has always been overhyped and overrated.
      17 juin à 21 h 6
      Démarrer sujet
      Good nerd
      No it is not. Go look at his stats. He has been average to below average all but 1 year of his career. Year before. A year that was way out of his norm. He has always been overhyped and overrated.

I really struggle to find 32 goalies who I can definitively say are better than Georgiev.

The first 10 are pretty easy (not in any order):
      Shesterkin
      Demko
      Swayman
      Oettenger
      Hellebuyk
      Saros
      Bobrovsky
      Vasilevskiy
      Sorokin
      Ullmark

The next 4 also seem pretty solid:
      Markstrom
      Anderson
      Gibson
      Thompson

After that, it is a bunch of young guys who have had one good year or have shown promise (your Ingrahams and Gustavsons of the world), a bunch of older guys who may not have it anymore (your Talbots and Varlamovs of the world), and a bunch of guys who are pretty up and down (your Jarrys, Skinners, and Georgievs of the world). You can make a list of those guys, but the variance in performance from month to month will be so great that you will have a hard time convincing me that Georgiev wouldn't be in the top 32.
      17 juin à 21 h 11
      Modifié 17 juin à 21 h 28
      I really struggle to find 32 goalies who I can definitively say are better than Georgiev.

The first 10 are pretty easy (not in any order):
      Shesterkin
      Demko
      Swayman
      Oettenger
      Hellebuyk
      Saros
      Bobrovsky
      Vasilevskiy
      Sorokin
      Ullmark

The next 4 also seem pretty solid:
      Markstrom
      Anderson
      Gibson
      Thompson

After that, it is a bunch of young guys who have had one good year or have shown promise (your Ingrahams and Gustavsons of the world), a bunch of older guys who may not have it anymore (your Talbots and Varlamovs of the world), and a bunch of guys who are pretty up and down (your Jarrys, Skinners, and Georgievs of the world). You can make a list of those guys, but the variance in performance from month to month will be so great that you will have a hard time convincing me that Georgiev wouldn't be in the top 32.

You failed to read what I said.

I said he is a backup caliber ON A GOOD TEAM. He is the type low end teams like Zona, OTT, Columbus, Buffalo try to make due with and the type that better teams try to upgrade from. He’s a 20-30 type.
      17 juin à 21 h 28
      Démarrer sujet
      Good nerd
      You failed to read what I said.

I said he is a backup caliber ON A GOOD TEAM.

I didn't fail to read what you said. I think you and I just have different definitions of what is needed for a backup on a good team. I'm not going to get on COL fans for thinking they can win the cup with him. I think building a team with a good defense and a below-average starter is more likely to lead to success than building a team with elite goaltending and bad defense. I personally don't think that their defense is strong enough to cover for Georgiev outside of the top pairing, and I don't think they have the cap space to address that. But reasonable people can disagree on how to construct a roster though, and their offense can clearly provide goal support on most nights.

He is the type low end teams like Zona, OTT, Columbus, Buffalo try to make due with and the type that better teams try to upgrade from. He’s a 20-35 type.

I agree he is probably in that 20-35 range, but there just aren't enough quality starters or enough cap space to go around in the league for every competitive team to have more. COL is cap crunched (particularly with the Nuke and Landy situations this offseason), so I think they also need any low-cost starter they can get. That is why I thought Ullmark with retention might be appealing.
      17 juin à 21 h 41
      I didn't fail to read what you said. I think you and I just have different definitions of what is needed for a backup on a good team. I'm not going to get on COL fans for thinking they can win the cup with him. I think building a team with a good defense and a below-average starter is more likely to lead to success than building a team with elite goaltending and bad defense. I personally don't think that their defense is strong enough to cover for Georgiev outside of the top pairing, and I don't think they have the cap space to address that. But reasonable people can disagree on how to construct a roster though, and their offense can clearly provide goal support on most nights.

I agree he is probably in that 20-35 range, but there just aren't enough quality starters or enough cap space to go around in the league for every competitive team to have more. COL is cap crunched (particularly with the Nuke and Landy situations this offseason), so I think they also need any low-cost starter they can get. That is why I thought Ullmark with retention might be appealing.

Which is why the top 15 - 20 goalies are on contending teams or get traded to them. Guys like him are guys teams take a chance they can get by with. I never understood why Avs went to him other than slightly cheaper than a true 1.

His career numbers are 2.85 .908 QS % .527

That is with a season factored in way better than his norm. Those are high end backup numbers. Desperate starter. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Blind test.

2.79 .907 .523. Pretty much same career stats.

Jake Allen
      tupty a aimé ceci.

Répondre
      To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
      Question:
      Options:
      Ajouter une option
      Soumettre le sondage