Forums/Armchair-GM

Slow Burn Leafs

Créé par: dannibalcorpse
Équipe: 2024-25 Maple Leafs de Toronto
Date de création initiale: 10 mai 2024
Publié: 10 mai 2024
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
I'll preface this by saying I don't think Leafs management will have the patience to more or less punt on a year - despite the fact that fans will still come to games and still buy merch even if the team isn't a 110 point regular season juggernaut.

But at this point, the Leafs need something of a reset. What I'm proposing is not making moves that immediately pay off in 2024-25; what they should do is look ahead to 2025-26 and beyond while still doing their best to ice a good team next season.

+++++ TRADES +++++
The first domino to fall is arguably the biggest move the Leafs should make - finding a new home for Mitch Marner. For better or worse, the relationship feels beyond repair at this point and both sides need to move on. The problem is a combination of Marner's full NMC and the fact that he's basically a rental - meaning that he controls his destination and even teams that he might approve a deal to will bow out for fear of not being able to resign him.

LA, however...LA has the space, LA has the glamour, and LA has a team that's close to taking that next step. Adding a guy like Marner would work wonders for their top 6 without absolutely crippling their cap next year - and it's Los Angeles, baby, and LA loves a superstar. I think it's a solid match - but it'll cost the Kings a good young forward in Quinton Byfield, and another decent roster player in Jordan Spence. I think when you have the chance to land a franchise player, though, you have to make the move - sure, Byfield might turn out as good as Marner, but why wish and hope when you could have the reality, right??

The Leafs would add a very strong young forward in Byfield, and would be able to push Conor Timmins to a permanent 7th D spot by adding Jordan Spence as RD3. They clear some cap, but more importantly they take the first big step into reshaping the team around a new identity.

The second trade is less of an imperative, but I think it's a worthwhile move - Timothy Liljegren is a fine player who feels like a guy the Leafs don't trust (just look at his playoff minutes over the past two seasons.) He's 25 and is what he is at this point - so if a team with a hole at RD2 is offering up a 2nd rounder, I'd take the pick and move on at this point. The farm system needs some revitalization, and I think Lilly is ultimately replaceable in free agency. Speaking of...

+++++ SIGNINGS +++++
Keep the useful RFAs - Gregor, Dewar, & Robertson are all useful pieces in the bottom 6, and Robertson can sneak into the top 6 if he keeps developing and stays healthy. And of course you extend Spence & Byfield since you just traded for them. The Leaf's other RFAs are expendable - maybe I'd keep Alex Steeves, but I think Max Ellis, Max Lajoie, and Keith Petruzzelli are just minor league depth at this point and completely replaceable if you need to.

UFA-wise, I let every expiring Leaf walk. Bertuzzi & Domi were fine players, but I think they've priced themselves out of a short term deal and will both be on the wrong side of 30 by the time I want this team to kick it into high gear. Lyubushkin, Brodie, Edmundson, Klingberg, Giordano? They all put the D in "Don't Need Em Anymore" - best of luck in future endeavors, pals. And Ilya Samsonov will want too much money to stay, and Martin Jones is too mediocre to pay. We're overhauling this team, boys, thanks for the time, see you whenever.

With all those bodies out, it's time to bring some fresh blood in. I'm willing to take a chance on seeing if Joseph Woll can be a 1A this year, since we're not shooting for a Cup, so I sign Scott Wedgewood to a cheap deal to be his 1B. I need someone to fill in one of the wings on the top 6, so I go to an ex-Wings winger - David Perron is 35 and would probably sign a higher AAV one year deal to play top-6 minutes next to Auston Matthews. He's also a locker room guy, and we want to change the culture, right?

Now on the D - we've let a lot of bodies go and we have the cash to make a splash. I like Brett Pesce here - he's a strong defensive defenseman and Carolina probably doesn't have the cap to match a 6x$6M deal here. I'd go 7 years if I have to but I like the idea of being out of this after his age-35 season. I also need another guy on the right side, so I throw a one year deal at Matt Dumba to see if he can rebound to the player he was a year or two ago - if he's not, it's no worry, cuz he's gone in July.

Now look at this team - there's still a ton of offense in the top 6, with a strong veteran in David Perron on the top line, and Quinton Byfield skating next to John Tavares and learning the ins and out of being a top tier Center. The bottom 6 isn't super exciting, but it lets us have long looks at younger players like Bobby McMann, Nick Robertson, and Connor Dewar to see if they're going to be important parts of the next big run. The defense has Morgan Rielly as the main puckmover and fills the depth chart behind him with stout defenders so we can keep our young goalie from being besieged.

You've got a few expiring deals if the season goes south - Perron, Dumba, and Jake McCabe are all great rentals that could bring in future value at the deadline. You have a player ready to step right into JT's slot on the second line, and if Nick Robertson doesn't make the leap to a top-6 threat, you have Easton Cowan and Fraser Minten signed and ready to move into that spot. You have Topi Niemela knocking on the door, so you move out Timothy Liljegren to get his spot ready. You have a young goalie who looked amazing in a short run in the playoffs, so you give him the crease and see what he can do.

There's a chance this is a difficult season for Toronto, but it was always going to be difficult moving on from the Core Four. This lets you keep the guys who seemingly have "it" - Matthews and Nylander - while cashing in Marner while you can and letting Tavares play out his contract without the distraction of asking him to waive an NMC you know he never will. It sets up the future without selling out the present - this team still pushes for a playoff spot as long as the goalies don't go full Grubauer on you, and anything can happen one you're there. But most importantly, I think this lowers expectations for a year so you can actually let players develop instead of always having to worry about trying to find the next Michael Bunting on the scrap heap.
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
RFAANSCAP HIT
21 000 000 $
2900 000 $
22 000 000 $
2900 000 $
2900 000 $
22 000 000 $
UFAANSCAP HIT
22 000 000 $
67 000 000 $
12 500 000 $
15 000 000 $
Transactions
TOR
  1. Byfield, Quinton [Droits de RFA]
  2. Spence, Jordan [Droits de RFA]
Détails additionnels:
Kings give up two young chips to take a big swing at extending their window. Add picks at the margins as you see fit but I think the value is pretty solid here.
LAK
  1. Marner, Mitchell
Détails additionnels:
Leafs cash in one of the C4 with a destination I could easily see him waiving his NMC for.
TOR
  1. Choix de 2e ronde en 2024 (SEA)
Détails additionnels:
Seattle gives up a solid asset to bring in a young replacement for Justin Schultz on the second pair.
SEA
  1. Liljegren, Timothy
Détails additionnels:
Toronto needs to build back up a pretty rough farm system; Lilly is a fine #4/5 type but is replaceable on this Leafs team. Cash in one of the few chips you have to get some decent draft capital.
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de TOR
Logo de SEA
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de NSH
Logo de VAN
Logo de TOR
Logo de OTT
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2387 500 000 $79 591 667 $0 $0 $7 908 333 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
925 000 $925 000 $
AG, AD
RFA - 1
13 250 000 $13 250 000 $
C
NMC
UFA - 4
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
AD, AG
UFA
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
AG, C
RFA
11 000 000 $11 000 000 $
C, AG
NMC
UFA - 1
11 500 000 $11 500 000 $
AD
NMC
UFA - 8
900 000 $900 000 $
AG, AD
RFA
800 000 $800 000 $
C, AG
RFA - 1
2 100 000 $2 100 000 $
AD, C, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 2
1 000 000 $1 000 000 $
AG, C
RFA
2 400 000 $2 400 000 $
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
1 350 000 $1 350 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 2
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
7 500 000 $7 500 000 $
DG
NMC
UFA - 6
7 000 000 $7 000 000 $
DD
UFA
766 667 $766 667 $
G
RFA - 1
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
DG/DD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
2 500 000 $2 500 000 $
DD
UFA
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
G
UFA
1 350 000 $1 350 000 $
DG
UFA - 3
900 000 $900 000 $
DD
RFA
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
1 100 000 $1 100 000 $
DD
RFA - 1
1 350 000 $1 350 000 $
AD
UFA - 2
900 000 $900 000 $
AG, AD
RFA

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
10 mai à 20 h 19
Rejoint: mars 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 696
Like your thought proccess but damn, Dumba, Perron, Wedgewood all worry me, and the Pesce deal could end up awful given the injury history. I love the Byfield and Spence idea tho
10 mai à 20 h 19
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 253
There's a lot wrong with this, I'll just state the obvious though: LA declines, they aren't trading Byfield, and Byfield gets a lot more than 2 mil
Most of those signings are straight up awful too
10 mai à 20 h 22
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 6,244
The Kings aren't going to trade Byfield for Marner, even if Toronto adds their 1st round pick to the deal.
dannibalcorpse a aimé ceci.
10 mai à 20 h 27
Rejoint: févr. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 15
Seattle passes. We already have Schultz’s replacement in Ryker Evans, and if Dunn hadn’t been injured it looks like Schultz might have been traded at the deadline
AEcho et dannibalcorpse a aimé ceci.
11 mai à 0 h 9
Démarrer sujet
we miss leo k
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,132
Quoting: MMXD
Like your thought proccess but damn, Dumba, Perron, Wedgewood all worry me, and the Pesce deal could end up awful given the injury history. I love the Byfield and Spence idea tho

Dumba & Perron are just here for the year in my eyes - in a perfect world, Easton Cowan is NHL-ready and slides into the top 6 for 2025-26, and Topi Niemela is ready to take over RD2 at the same time. If they play up to their past potential, you're still a playoff team in my eyes. Pesce's injury was a blocked shot I thought? He's been reliable enough through his career that I wouldn't be terribly scared off.

Quoting: Coffeefish
Seattle passes. We already have Schultz’s replacement in Ryker Evans, and if Dunn hadn’t been injured it looks like Schultz might have been traded at the deadline

Thought Evans was an LHD that would eventually supplant Dumoulin - does Hakstol play defenders on their offhand a lot? With Lilly, I think he's fairly valued here - if it's not Seattle, I feel like someone else will be fine giving up a 2nd rounder or a B+ prospect for him.

Quoting: tkecanuck341
The Kings aren't going to trade Byfield for Marner, even if Toronto adds their 1st round pick to the deal.

I struggled trying to figure out where to trade Marner. His NMC means he's not going to any rebuilding team, so goodbye Utah/Anaheim/Chicago/Montreal/Buffalo/San Jose/Columbus and most teams with cap space next year. I feel like if I'm the Leafs, I want to get him out of division - so even though Carolina and Boston have cap space next year, they're no good. So if it's gotta be the Western Conference, and it's gotta be a contender, it's down to uhhhh...the Kings, and I dunno, Nashville? St. Louis? Out of that group, LA feels like the most likely city that Marner waives for, and the city that he feels most likely to extend with, and Byfield feels like the piece I'd target if I was trading a point per game Selke finalist. Gotta crack a few eggs to make an omelet and all that, ya know?

Quoting: dh91
There's a lot wrong with this, I'll just state the obvious though: LA declines, they aren't trading Byfield, and Byfield gets a lot more than 2 mil
Most of those signings are straight up awful too

Just copied the last number on Byfield when I did his RFA deal - with nearly $8M in cap space on this roster, there's more than enough cash to give him either a $4Mish bridge deal or an 8x$8M extension - not too stressed about his number there. What's your thinking on the other signings there? Perron is still productive enough that he could get a 2 or 3 year deal at $3-4M, so I give him a little more to get shorter term; Dumba is a reclamation project but I can't picture him taking much more of a pay cut than this; a solid 1B goalie (whether it's Wedgewood or Kevin Lankinen or whomever you want) is gonna cost in the $2M range. Pesce might be a little heavy at $7M but I'd put that at the ceiling of what I'd want to pay to make sure I'm only attached to him through his age-35 season.
11 mai à 0 h 47
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 6,244
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
I struggled trying to figure out where to trade Marner. His NMC means he's not going to any rebuilding team, so goodbye Utah/Anaheim/Chicago/Montreal/Buffalo/San Jose/Columbus and most teams with cap space next year. I feel like if I'm the Leafs, I want to get him out of division - so even though Carolina and Boston have cap space next year, they're no good. So if it's gotta be the Western Conference, and it's gotta be a contender, it's down to uhhhh...the Kings, and I dunno, Nashville? St. Louis? Out of that group, LA feels like the most likely city that Marner waives for, and the city that he feels most likely to extend with, and Byfield feels like the piece I'd target if I was trading a point per game Selke finalist. Gotta crack a few eggs to make an omelet and all that, ya know?

Just copied the last number on Byfield when I did his RFA deal - with nearly $8M in cap space on this roster, there's more than enough cash to give him either a $4Mish bridge deal or an 8x$8M extension - not too stressed about his number there. What's your thinking on the other signings there? Perron is still productive enough that he could get a 2 or 3 year deal at $3-4M, so I give him a little more to get shorter term; Dumba is a reclamation project but I can't picture him taking much more of a pay cut than this; a solid 1B goalie (whether it's Wedgewood or Kevin Lankinen or whomever you want) is gonna cost in the $2M range. Pesce might be a little heavy at $7M but I'd put that at the ceiling of what I'd want to pay to make sure I'm only attached to him through his age-35 season.

The Kings aren't going to trade Byfield for anything that a trade partner would consider reasonable. If Chicago calls up and offers Bedard or Colorado offers Makar, then sure. Short of that, Byfield is staying put.

Byfield's projected extensions are 3 years @ $6.8M or 8 years at $8.3M.
dannibalcorpse a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage