SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/New Jersey Devils

New Jersey Devils 2023-24 Season Discussion Thread #1

13 févr. à 23 h 27
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 2,009
Quoting: NHLfan10506
The 2022-23 Devils showed up

Don't know of you guys have seen this but late in the game and post game with Sal, Lazar said this to and a story locally with Ryan Novo.

“we’ve made a major overhaul of our system,” Lazar said. “It’s still a work in progress. We’re doing a pretty good job of learning on the fly. Mistakes are going to happen and what not and you’ve got to bear down and be strong in front of your nets. It takes a full 6-man unit. We can’t leave our goalies out to dry there.
More responsibility for the centermen, moving all over the ice."
Devil a aimé ceci.
13 févr. à 23 h 34
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 18,769
Quoting: Smitty426
Don't know of you guys have seen this but late in the game and post game with Sal, Lazar said this to and a story locally with Ryan Novo.

“we’ve made a major overhaul of our system,” Lazar said. “It’s still a work in progress. We’re doing a pretty good job of learning on the fly. Mistakes are going to happen and what not and you’ve got to bear down and be strong in front of your nets. It takes a full 6-man unit. We can’t leave our goalies out to dry there.
More responsibility for the centermen, moving all over the ice."

Yeah…
1. It sounds like Hynes old system
2. Lazar so articulate…will be great TV analyst when he retires
Smitty426 a aimé ceci.
13 févr. à 23 h 37
Speak of the Devil
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 26,437
Yeah…
1. It sounds like Hynes old system
2. Lazar so articulate…will be great TV analyst when he retires

What the difference between Hynes and Ruff's system?
13 févr. à 23 h 43
Speak of the Devil
The only negative from the win tonight was Brendan Smith on defense. Santeri Hatakka clears
14 févr. à 6 h 34
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Devil
What the difference between Hynes and Ruff's system?

Hynes triangle system asked more defensively from the center. Would usually get parked in front of net above dmen. (Triangle between two dmen and center). Wingers would cover points but also come help in corners more. It often would not lead to as many quick counter-attacks since so many guys were down low in d-zone. Need shot-blocking forwards and speedy wingers for this to work well. Since the idea is that transition more often starts at our own blue line.

Lindy’s system plays the center up higher with a wings mostly along boards. Dmen can leave net front to pursue puck. It can leave us exposed near net, but also leaves to more rush attempts going other way. Need dmen that can retrieve puck and deliver it cleanly to transition forwards for this to work well. Possession starts deeper in our own zone.
Smitty426 et Devil a aimé ceci.
14 févr. à 12 h 33
I Love J Boqvist
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 3,353
Hynes triangle system asked more defensively from the center. Would usually get parked in front of net above dmen. (Triangle between two dmen and center). Wingers would cover points but also come help in corners more. It often would not lead to as many quick counter-attacks since so many guys were down low in d-zone. Need shot-blocking forwards and speedy wingers for this to work well. Since the idea is that transition more often starts at our own blue line.

Lindy’s system plays the center up higher with a wings mostly along boards. Dmen can leave net front to pursue puck. It can leave us exposed near net, but also leaves to more rush attempts going other way. Need dmen that can retrieve puck and deliver it cleanly to transition forwards for this to work well. Possession starts deeper in our own zone.

I think the cap friendly world needs a post about historical goalie trades
14 févr. à 14 h 8
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: dgibb10
I think the cap friendly world needs a post about historical goalie trades

I agree comps are always helpful. Goalie trades always tougher, because good ones with term are rarely moved in-season.

Here is a partial list one could use. It all will depend on which goalie is being traded.
14 févr. à 14 h 17
Speak of the Devil

Im aasuming that's why Haula is centering Hughes

McLeod would've been perfect for this system
14 févr. à 15 h 41
Démarrer sujet
Kent Hughes went on LeBrun/Rishaug podcast today. Said it was tough goalie market as seller. He was having a tough time finding a suitor to take Allen or Primeau.

Those guys aren’t Saros or Markstrom…but it does run counter to the belief that goalie market is some extreme sellers paradise.
14 févr. à 15 h 50
I Love J Boqvist
Kent Hughes went on LeBrun/Rishaug podcast today. Said it was tough goalie market as seller. He was having a tough time finding a suitor to take Allen or Primeau.

Those guys aren’t Saros or Markstrom…but it does run counter to the belief that goalie market is some extreme sellers paradise.

I made a post about that recently.

Skinner got his **** together, there goes the number 1 team on the market for a goalie
Samsonov seems to be playing better, and Woll coming back. Way less likely to buy a goalie or overpay for one.
Arvidsson coming back means no cap in LA
Freddie is about to come back and Pyotr and Raanta are looking better
Even in jersey our goaltending is LIGHTYEARS above what it was to start the season.

Of all the goalies on LAK, NJD, Edmonton, Carolina, and Toronto, only Talbot (-8), and Pyotr (-0.36) have negative GSAx since the new years.

Since december only Vitek (-0.99), Samsonov (-4.28), and Talbot (-2) have negative GSAx on those teams

I was saying it early. You wait too long as a seller and the problem goalie on the buyer may just figure it out.
14 févr. à 15 h 53

Top guys this year to date:
1 New York Rangers-Nick Bonino 78
2 Washington Capitals-Beck Malenstyn 61
3 Toronto Maple Leafs-Auston Matthews 59
4 Pittsburgh Penguins-Noel Acciari 59
5 undefined-Alex Wennberg 57
6 Anaheim Ducks-Frank Vatrano 56
7 New York Islanders-Jean-Gabriel Pageau 53
8 Philadelphia Flyers-Ryan Poehling 53
9 Detroit Red Wings-Michael Rasmussen 52
10 undefined-Eeli Tolvanen 52
11 Washington Capitals-Nic Dowd 52
12 New York Rangers-Barclay Goodrow 52
13 Chicago Blackhawks-Jason Dickinson 49
14 New York Rangers-Vincent Trocheck 49
15 Dallas Stars-Joe Pavelski 49
16 Columbus Blue Jackets-Cole Sillinger 47
14 févr. à 15 h 54
I Love J Boqvist

Wennberg could be very interesting
Smitty426 a aimé ceci.
14 févr. à 16 h 3
Démarrer sujet

(shot blocking should be weighted to reflect usage…so shot blocks / # on-ice shot attempts…. since guys are used in different situations).

But I am always for guys willing to step in front of pucks.

I don’t remember the exact stat…but one of our weaknesses last year was an unusually high % of shots against from point hitting the net.
Smitty426 a aimé ceci.
14 févr. à 19 h 37
Couple of questions for the group
1. Ullmark instead of Markstrom? Gibb saw you answer this in a posting. (Kerping Joltz etc just picks in that case)
2. Who do you see in Utica or prospects elsewhere in our system that are expendable and worth trade fodder? Could include roster guys we may want to move (Bastian, Bahl come to mind, assumes ufas would not go for much but don't be shy)
14 févr. à 19 h 54
I Love J Boqvist
1. Ullmark instead of Markstrom? Gibb saw you answer this in a posting. (Kerping Joltz etc just picks in that case)
2. Who do you see in Utica or prospects elsewhere in our system that are expendable and worth trade fodder? Could include roster guys we may want to move (Bastian, Bahl come to mind, assumes ufas would not go for much but don't be shy)

Ullmark is younger, cheaper, and I trust him more. Would absolutely target him first.

I think most of Utica is expendable/moveable. Really just depends on who’s valued by who
Smitty426 a aimé ceci.
14 févr. à 20 h 2
Démarrer sujet

For me,
1. Depends on price…
2. Clarke, Foote, Stillman, Vilen in Utica; Hämeenaho, Gritsyuk overseas; Filmon in juniors
Smitty426 a aimé ceci.
14 févr. à 20 h 23
Quoting: dgibb10
Ullmark is younger, cheaper, and I trust him more. Would absolutely target him first.

I think most of Utica is expendable/moveable. Really just depends on who’s valued by who

For me,
1. Depends on price…
2. Clarke, Foote, Stillman, Vilen in Utica; Hämeenaho, Gritsyuk overseas; Filmon in juniors

Thx you two
Reason for asking- Fan you have a thought that Fitz is showing a shiny toy over there and looking over here.
If Saros wants Bob money, buh bye, with Holtz + going the other way.
Ullmarks got good #s
Also, picks are somewhat lean, so who is available if Fitz makes a push. Thx all
14 févr. à 21 h 0
Démarrer sujet
Thx you two
Reason for asking- Fan you have a thought that Fitz is showing a shiny toy over there and looking over here.
If Saros wants Bob money, buh bye, with Holtz + going the other way.
Ullmarks got good #s
Also, picks are somewhat lean, so who is available if Fitz makes a push. Thx all

There are too many teams still in playoff picture….many with the best obvious options.

I doubt Ullmark is made available until Swayman is locked up long-term (which isn’t a lock). My guess, if he is pursuing a goaltender that is not in headlines, it is Gibson. Ducks really need a sniper…so if any truth to Holtz being available for goalie, that seems like a fit. if dman, maybe Middleton (Guerin and Fitzy are close)….and they have a handful of guys ready to make jump (especially if Peart signs).

I think 2024 is a thin draft outside top-10 or 15. If our pick ends up around #18-20….could be good value to trade down for more picks.

And if we end up selling, there is also good argument to be made to acquire 2025 picks. Deeper draft…but also better ammo to use at 2025 deadline, when hopefully we aren’t selling.
Smitty426 a aimé ceci.
14 févr. à 22 h 5
Speak of the Devil

1. Yes (for the same reasons as gibb)
2. CHASE STILLMAN
dgibb10 a aimé ceci.
14 févr. à 23 h 2
2. CHASE STILLMAN

2. CHASE STILLMAN

Nice
Stillman I hope turns into something, I like the energy guys.
dgibb10 a aimé ceci.
14 févr. à 23 h 10
Démarrer sujet
Nice
Stillman I hope turns into something, I like the energy guys.

He won me over at Memorial Cup last year.

Plays 1st line
Flattens Seminoff in open ice.
Beats Cadan Bankier to bloody pulp.
Same shift.

Skilled menace.
dgibb10 a aimé ceci.
14 févr. à 23 h 11
He won me over at Memorial Cup last year.

Plays 1st line
Flattens Seminoff in open ice.
Beats Cadan Bankier to bloody pulp.
Same shift.

Skilled menace.

Skilled menace
Love it
NHLfan10506 a aimé ceci.
15 févr. à 1 h 31
I Love J Boqvist
Tom Fitzgerald needs to get Mercer locked up for 8 years so I no longer have to deal with these horrific trade proposals.
Smitty426 a aimé ceci.
15 févr. à 15 h 11
Démarrer sujet
Nick Villano gets it right here.

Are New Jersey Devils Gaining Leverage In Goalie Trade Market?

Trotz, Kent Hughes have dialed up the media appearances recently to drum up a market for their assets…but telling was Hughes, who was very open and honest saying they aren’t many teams looking for goalies (which is opposite of what we often read). One user mentioned earlier that the ‘goalie dominoes will begin to fall’. There will be no dominoes. It’s not like centers or dmen. It will be a few rental back-ups at deadline …maybe one bigger trade before.

If anything, word is out that Fitzy would sell Holtz for a goalie…imagine he has offers coming out of the blue.
dgibb10 et Smitty426 a aimé ceci.
15 févr. à 22 h 17
Démarrer sujet
Officiating was brutal (the Bastian non-call followed by a Haula love-tap getting called…yeesh). But more brutal is how bad officiating seems to get in guys heads.

Daws was excellent. 3 games in 4 days.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage