SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Digging Into The Chances Michkov Falls To The Caps

Digging Into The Chances Michkov Falls To The Caps

Cuvée de repêchage: 2023
Créé par: ClockReads2113
Publié: 12 mai 2023 à 9 h 56
Description
Every day there seems like more and more reports that Michkov will drop. Some are saying he could drop as far as 10, maybe further. That's doubtful but he could certainly fall to #8 to the Caps. I wrote a reasoning and a percentage of a certain team drafting the Russian before the Caps.

At the end of the day, I'd still put it sub 50% he falls to the Caps but it is far from impossible than people think. Corey Pronman in his mock draft had Michkov going to the Caps saying, "I think this is the alleyway where a Michkov pick becomes realistic, plus or minus one or two picks. In very early discussions with people around the league on him, Washington or Detroit are considered the betting favorites for his landing spot. Does anyone really have a clue though? No. He could be long gone by this pick, or possibly he could drop further."
RONDE 1ÉQUIPEORIGINALJOUEURDéTAILS
1Logo de Blackhawks de Chicago-This will be short. As much as the Blackhawks don’t deserve phenom Connor Bedard for covering up sexual assault for a decade, they won the lottery. They are taking Bedard. Chance of selecting Michkov: 0%
2Logo de Ducks d'Anaheim-Anaheim are one of the best drafting teams in the league, so MIchkov would make sense for them but I think it will be too tempting to take Adam Fantilli here. He’s a player that can instantly come into the NHL next season and put up 50-60 points, maybe more, and then years down the road put up 100 points. Him at 1C and Zegras at 2C will make a powerful center depth. Selecting Michkov: 10%
3Logo de Blue Jackets de Columbus-The Blue Jackets seem like a team that would be all in on Michkov, if they were drafting 5-7 I’d guarantee you they’d select the Russian. They aren’t afraid to draft Europeans and just three years ago shocked the league by selecting Russian forward Yegor Chinakhov with the 21st overall pick. No one had Yegor going that early but the Blue Jackets weren’t scared to take the chance, so Michkov makes a lot of sense for them. BUT their GM, Jarmo Kekäläinen, made these comments after the draft lottery, “I think there'll be a great center iceman available at 3." So that means Leo Carlsson or William Smith most likely. And that makes perfect sense for them because they are much better than their record showed and they desperately need a number one center. Both Carlsson and Smith could only need one more year before making the jump to the NHL. That’s much better than waiting for a winger that won’t make the jump for another four seasons. Chance of selecting Michkov: 20%
4Logo de Sharks de San Jose-The Sharks make a lot of sense as a team to snag Michkov, as they aren’t afraid to draft Russians. They have drafted eight since 2017. Though it should be noted they tend to just take late fliers on them; the only Russian they have drafted since 2017 before round four was Artemi Kniazev in the second round in 2019. They did take Nikolay Goldobin in the first round (#27) of 2014’s draft. All that said, it's still hard to see SJS taking Michkov because their new GM Mike Grier already said they want to make a quick turnaround and waiting more than three years for a player won’t help that plan come to fruition. When asked about Michkov after the draft lottery, he said, “He’s got a contract for another three years or so. He’s a good player, a talented player, but he’s going to be under contract over there for quite a bit.” That doesn’t sound like a guy sold on waiting for Michkov. He also mentioned William Smith, a kid that went to high school with Grier’s son. Smith will probably only need one year in college before making the NHL jump, so I think that would be much more interesting to Grier than Michkov. They probably want to make the most of the Tomas Hertl and Logan Couture years. Still I could see San Jose taking the chance on Michkov. Chance of selecting Michkov: 40%
5Logo de Canadiens de Montréal-Now here comes the true test: the Montreal Canadiens. The fans desperately want their team to draft Michkov but how realistic is it? There was some promising news shortly before the draft lottery, when some Canadien radio was talking about how Montreal would not be interested in MIchkov if they fell to him. But after the draft lottery GM Kent Hughes didn’t shoot down the idea of drafting the Russian. He said, “I have to believe if you're considering Michkov and another player that you deem very, very comparable in terms of talent and potential then those factors are probably going to weigh him down, but we're not there yet where I can say to you that we believe there others equal to him or he's equal to them for that matter." Basically it sounds like if there’s a guy they seem around the same level as Michkov they will take the other player because of the contract issue. Outside of Bedard and Fantilli there isn’t a player close to Michkov but if their scouts think otherwise they could certainly pass on Michkov. They could also be wary of drafting another small forward, since they recently drafted Sean Farrell (5’9”), Filip Mesar (5’10”), Jan Mysak (5’11”), and Xavier Simoneau (5’6”) among other, and they already have Cole Caufield (5’7”), Nick Suzuki (5’11”), Rem Pitick (5’11”), Rafael Harvey-Pinard (5’9”) and Brendan Gallagher (5’9”) on the team. Adding another 5’9” forward might not be appetizing to them. Maybe they aim for the big, almost NHL ready defensemen in David Reinbacher. He’d make a perfect partner for 5’10” Lane Hutson. Chance of selecting Michkov: 60%
6Logo de Coyotes de l'Arizona-Of all the teams, no team needs someone more like Michkov than the Coyotes, who have never had someone close to Michkov’s capabilities. But also of all the teams that could potentially be in on Michkov, the Coyotes scare me the least. There’s a couple reasons as to why. First, it would not surprise me if Michkov tells the Coyotes during the draft interviews that he won’t play for them. Why would he? He doesn’t have to come over, he can stay in Russia for as long as he wants making big money. Why would he fly across the globe to play for a poverty franchise that can barely fill a college stadium, making under a million for three years on his Entry Level Contract? Sorry to the Coyote fans for all of that, but I simply don’t see MIchkov wanting to play in the desert. The second reason as to why I see Coyotes skipping on Michkov is the Coyotes are a team that don’t have room to swing and miss on their first round picks. They get by the skin of their teeth as is, so if someone doesn’t hit it hurts them a lot and they do miss a lot. For those two reasons I think they grab someone that’s more of a sure thing. If Reinbacher is gone then Zach Benson or Ryan Leonard makes sense. They might even reach on offensively skilled defensemen Axel Sandin Pellikka. Chance of selecting Michkov: 10%
7Logo de Flyers de Philadelphie-The Flyers are a big wild card. If they didn’t fire their terrible front office a couple months ago I would have guaranteed they would not draft Michkov. A small, Russian winger you have to wait more than three seasons for? No way they would pick him. Unfortunately they fired their GM Chuck Fletcher and hired former player Daniel Briere. Briere himself is a former small (5’9”) skilled forward, so maybe he can see something in Michkov. The question for Briere is does he want something more sure that can help him in 2-3 seasons to make himself look good or does he take Michkov as a security blanket, basically saying “Hey you can’t fire me until this Michkov kid comes over and we see what he does.” But then Michkov might never come over at all. It’s tough to tell. Something that makes me think they don’t draft MIchkov is they made Keith Jones Team President of Hockey Operations. Keith won’t make the draft pick but you have to think his overall plan is to play the hockey he likes and he’s old school, so they might look at someone like Ryan Leonard, Dalibir Dvorsky, Colby Barlow or big boy Matthew Woods. Chance of selecting Michkov: 30%
8Logo de Capitals de Washington-And that leaves the Capitals. I guess there’s no 100% guarantee that they will take Michkov but the fact they snagged Ivan Miroshnichenko last summer because he fell into their laps makes me think they would do the same with Michkov. Yes, he wouldn’t come to the NHL until after Ovechkin retires (assuming he retires after his current contract) but you must select him. He’s franchise altering and the Caps are too smart of a team to let that go. They know that whoever they pick will at best be NHL ready in 2-3 years and even then how much of an impact will they have? Might as well select the person that will take three years but has an instant impact when he arrives. Chance of selecting Michkov: 90%
9Logo de Red Wings de Detroit-
10Logo de Blues de St-Louis-
11Logo de Canucks de Vancouver-
12Logo de Coyotes de l'ArizonaLogo de Sénateurs d'Ottawa
13Logo de Sabres de Buffalo-
14Logo de Penguins de Pittsburgh-
15Logo de Predators de Nashville-
16Logo de Flames de Calgary-
17Logo de Canadiens de MontréalLogo de Panthers de la Floride
18Logo de Red Wings de DetroitLogo de Islanders de New York
19Logo de Jets de Winnipeg-
20Logo de Blackhawks de ChicagoLogo de Lightning de Tampa Bay
21Logo de Kraken de Seattle-
22Logo de Wild du Minnesota-
23Logo de Blue Jackets de ColumbusLogo de Kings de Los Angeles
24Logo de Rangers de New York-
25Logo de Blues de St-LouisLogo de Stars de Dallas
26Logo de Avalanche du Colorado-
27Logo de Predators de NashvilleLogo de Oilers d'Edmonton
28Logo de Maple Leafs de TorontoLogo de Bruins de Boston
29Logo de Golden Knights de Vegas-
30Logo de Blues de St-LouisLogo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
31Logo de Sharks de San JoseLogo de Devils du New Jersey
32Logo de Hurricanes de la Caroline-
12 mai 2023 à 10 h 31
Rejoint: févr. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 677
Solid points, I like the breakdowns here
12 mai 2023 à 11 h 44
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 3,229
Quoting: Logicalicesports
Solid points, I like the breakdowns here

Thanks! Not perfect but like to think there's some logic there.
12 mai 2023 à 12 h 5
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,658
You’re pretty spot on here!
12 mai 2023 à 13 h 16
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Rob32sjsharks
You’re pretty spot on here!

Thanks! What do you think your Sharks do?
12 mai 2023 à 13 h 40
Evans truther
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,434
GG, good review with compelling reasons.
ClockReads2113 a aimé ceci.
12 mai 2023 à 15 h 37
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,658
Quoting: ClockReads2113
Thanks! What do you think your Sharks do?

Bedard and Fantilli are gone by pick 3, so CBJ has to pick between Michkov, Carlsson, and Smith. With Gaudreau just signed long term and being a smaller guy and CBJ wanting to turn this around fast or look silly signing Gaudreau I think their best option is the bigger stronger Carlsson as he is almost NHL ready now. Smith needs 2 years In college and Michkov is 3+ years in KHL. The problem is word out that Smith is CBJ choice right now, that may change but it’s not a bad option. I really think sharks look at Smith or Carlsson (whoever CBJ don’t pick obviously) and if they are high on Michkov (as has been reported) look for them to trade back a spot or two pick up another pick and take Michkov at 5/7.
ClockReads2113 a aimé ceci.
12 mai 2023 à 15 h 43
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: ColonelX
GG, good review with compelling reasons.

Thank you!

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage