SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Question on Retention...

16 févr. 2022 à 14 h 49
Nah.
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,346
So, a team is capable of retaining salary in a trade. My question is, when the cap hit and the actual dollars for a season don't match (ex: Brock Boeser has a $5.5M cap hit next season, but is making $4.45M in actual salary), how is the actual salary paid? Is it split in terms of percentage, or does the old team not actual pay any of the salary - they just take a cap hit?

So, for example, lets say CBJ trade Jake Voracek ($8.25M cap hit), and retain 50% (so, they keep a $4.125M cap hit); but, Jake is due a $5M signing bonus next year, and $1.25M in salary, for a total actual salary of $6.25M. If CBJ are retaining 50%, do they pay 50% of the total salary for the year? Do they only pay up to $4.125? Or, again, do they not pay any salary (they trading team does), and they just take the cap hit on paper?

Sorry if I'm not explaining this well, but it has been on my mind for awhile with TDL coming up.
16 févr. 2022 à 14 h 51
Rejoint: août 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,060
Quoting: dopplsan
So, a team is capable of retaining salary in a trade. My question is, when the cap hit and the actual dollars for a season don't match (ex: Brock Boeser has a $5.5M cap hit next season, but is making $4.45M in actual salary), how is the actual salary paid? Is it split in terms of percentage, or does the old team not actual pay any of the salary - they just take a cap hit?

So, for example, lets say CBJ trade Jake Voracek ($8.25M cap hit), and retain 50% (so, they keep a $4.125M cap hit); but, Jake is due a $5M signing bonus next year, and $1.25M in salary, for a total actual salary of $6.25M. If CBJ are retaining 50%, do they pay 50% of the total salary for the year? Do they only pay up to $4.125? Or, again, do they not pay any salary (they trading team does), and they just take the cap hit on paper?

Sorry if I'm not explaining this well, but it has been on my mind for awhile with TDL coming up.

The salary is also split between the teams by the same percentage as the cap hit. Im not 100% sure about signing bonuses though, but I assume its also just part of the salary and is split between the teams

From Capfriendly FAQ:
"What is a retained salary transaction/trade?
When a team trades a player, they have the option to retain a part of their salary (and cap hit). The team who retains the salary then pays the retained percentage of the salary, and also retains the percentage of the cap hit until the contract expires. The following requirements must be met to retain salary:
1. The percentage retained cannot exceed 50 percent of the player’s salary (including all bonuses) and Salary Cap Hit.
2. The same percentage must be retained for both the player’s salary and Salary Cap Hit, and cannot be modified."
dopplsan a aimé ceci.
16 févr. 2022 à 15 h 0
Démarrer sujet
Nah.
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,346
Quoting: UpsideDownQue
The salary is also split between the teams by the same percentage as the cap hit. Im not 100% sure about signing bonuses though, but I assume its also just part of the salary and is split between the teams

From Capfriendly FAQ:
"What is a retained salary transaction/trade?
When a team trades a player, they have the option to retain a part of their salary (and cap hit). The team who retains the salary then pays the retained percentage of the salary, and also retains the percentage of the cap hit until the contract expires. The following requirements must be met to retain salary:
1. The percentage retained cannot exceed 50 percent of the player’s salary (including all bonuses) and Salary Cap Hit.
2. The same percentage must be retained for both the player’s salary and Salary Cap Hit, and cannot be modified."

Awesome. Should've figured to look in the FAQ grimace

Thanks!

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage