Forums/Armchair-GM

Talking about retool

Créé par: Marcsnack
Équipe: 2020-21 Penguins de Pittsburgh
Date de création initiale: 17 févr. 2021
Publié: 17 févr. 2021
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
I am making this post to discuss about a retool if the Penguins decide to go down this route.

1) I do not think it should be done during this season. Even if the Penguins were to play bad, I would not start it now. This team is without a first, so there is no point of playing bad. Might as well give it one last real run before presumably heading towards a retool. The only moves I would consider involving big players would be trades that make us younger but still allow us to compete (i.e. trading someone like Zucker or Dumoulin for a younger player).
2) With that being said, I do not think we should continue to give up futures to make us better now. For example, I would not move our prospects or future 1sts/2nds for a rental. Go with the team you have and make additions if need be, but keep your futures.
3) It would be a retool and not a rebuild.. I think Sid stays regardless and you ask Malkin about his future. I think you move out a few of the other big boys, but you definitely keep some.
4) Can people stop shipping Matheson off to Seattle? Honestly, his first game with the Pens was bad, but ever since coming back from injury, he has looked super comfortable and I have not had any real issues with him. I dont see the need to send Seattle 2 2nd round picks or a 1st round pick or Poulin to take on Matheson.
5) If we do switch the team up, I also think the coach should be switched up. I have liked Sullivan, but I think his decision making on lines this year has been questionable, and I think if you are going to bring in fresh faces, bringing in a new coach could be helpful too. I look at someone like Gallant as a viable option.
6) A lot of people will say that trading guys like Malkin/Letang wont make this team better. I think that is a fair point, but at the same time, the current core is no longer a championship core to me. It is a team that can win games, but not the whole thing. Moving some of these guys for younger fresher faces can still allow this team to make playoffs and maybe even compete. Adding the draft picks/prospects will allow this team to be ready or semi-ready by the time Sid hangs em up :( If these moves are not made, we may look at Detroit as a comparable. I dont know about other fans, but I am not ready for years at the bottom. I could expect or understand 2-3, but I do not want 5+ years of struggles.

Thoughts? :)
Rachats de contrats
Transactions impliquant une retenue de salaire
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de WSH
Logo de ANA
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2381 500 000 $75 220 175 $0 $1 912 500 $6 279 825 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Penguins de Pittsburgh
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 4
9 500 000 $9 500 000 $
C
NMC
UFA - 2
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
AG, AD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
5 500 000 $5 500 000 $
AG, AD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
8 700 000 $8 700 000 $
C
NMC
UFA - 5
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 2
1 000 000 $1 000 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
750 000 $750 000 $
C, AG
UFA - 1
3 200 000 $3 200 000 $
AD
UFA - 2
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance850 000 $$850K)
AG
UFA - 2
750 000 $750 000 $
AD, C, AG
UFA - 2
1 200 000 $1 200 000 $
AD, C
UFA - 1
700 000 $700 000 $
C, AG
UFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
4 875 000 $4 875 000 $
DG
UFA - 6
7 250 000 $7 250 000 $
DD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
G
UFA - 3
4 025 175 $4 025 175 $
DG
UFA - 5
1 250 000 $1 250 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
1 250 000 $1 250 000 $
G
UFA - 2
863 333 $863 333 $ (Bonis de performance212 500 $$212K)
DG
RFA - 2
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance850 000 $$850K)
DD
UFA - 1
700 000 $700 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
700 000 $700 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
2 940 000 $2 940 000 $
C, AG
UFA - 2
4 100 000 $4 100 000 $
DG
M-NTC
UFA - 3
1 150 000 $1 150 000 $
DG
UFA - 2
700 000 $700 000 $
AG, C
UFA - 1
Équipe de réserve
733 333 $733 333 $ (0 $$00 $$0)
G
UFA - 2
725 000 $725 000 $ (0 $$00 $$0)
C, AD
UFA - 2
700 000 $700 000 $ (0 $$00 $$0)
DG
UFA - 1
C, AG
UFA - 1
G
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
17 févr. 2021 à 19 h 52
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 6,218
Forums are that way ---->
17 févr. 2021 à 20 h 19
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 31
I don't think you'll ever see a situation where 87/71 aren't in Pittsburgh. People need to remember, they've won 3 cups here and multiple individual awards. Neither of them have given any indication that they want to leave. They've never had a hard time negotiating, they've always taken less money to stay. They should retire as penguins and I believe they will. 58 is another can of worms, but I'm not against keeping him for the Crosby/Malkin tenure and having him retire as a penguin aswell.

As for trading futures to make the team better - there isn't any other option. If you want to keep the first round picks going forward, I'm okay with that - however the prospect pool in Pittsburgh is....awful. Neither one of Legare or Poulin are going to be impact players by the time the Penguins need them to be with this current group. I'm completely okay with moving them both. Who knows if they'll ever even be good top 6 players in the NHL? I don't. I'd also move on from Matheson (asap if possible). P.O Joseph playing as well as he is, allows the penguins to move on from one of Marcus Pettersson or Brian Dumolin. This will make the top 4 either Joesph Letang - Pettersson Marino OR Dumolin Letang - Joesph Marino. This is a pretty good top 4 IMO for Pittsburgh to help carry them threw the end of 87/71.

They need to look at probably making a deal with Seattle to take Matheson. That will be costly. They might have to give up Tanev + a pick just to get them to consider taking Matheson. I don't foresee that happening, but it would be great for Pittsburgh if it did.

The Penguins (this year) should look at trying to acquire a skilled 3c or a skilled top 6 winger. I'd lean more towards trying to bring in Taylor Hall. I don't think it's realistic for Pittsburgh to acquire Hall - but it would cost Dumo + probably Legare / Poulin + a pick and I'd like to see it accompanied by a contract extension that runs until the end of Crosby's contract (I believe Malkin and Letang will sign extensions to bring them to the end of Crosby's contract). Bringing in Hall could have the Penguins top 9 & top 4 look like this;
59-87-16
4-71-17 73-58
46-53-42 28-06

I know this is alot of information, but I think it's what gives them the best chance to win towards the end of the Crosby/Malkin era without giving up a first round pick OR leveraging any more of the future than they absolutely have to.
17 févr. 2021 à 20 h 43
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,196
Quoting: tkecanuck341
Forums are that way ---->

I know.. but people are so much more active here hahah
17 févr. 2021 à 20 h 50
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Dunphy66
I don't think you'll ever see a situation where 87/71 aren't in Pittsburgh. People need to remember, they've won 3 cups here and multiple individual awards. Neither of them have given any indication that they want to leave. They've never had a hard time negotiating, they've always taken less money to stay. They should retire as penguins and I believe they will. 58 is another can of worms, but I'm not against keeping him for the Crosby/Malkin tenure and having him retire as a penguin aswell.

As for trading futures to make the team better - there isn't any other option. If you want to keep the first round picks going forward, I'm okay with that - however the prospect pool in Pittsburgh is....awful. Neither one of Legare or Poulin are going to be impact players by the time the Penguins need them to be with this current group. I'm completely okay with moving them both. Who knows if they'll ever even be good top 6 players in the NHL? I don't. I'd also move on from Matheson (asap if possible). P.O Joseph playing as well as he is, allows the penguins to move on from one of Marcus Pettersson or Brian Dumolin. This will make the top 4 either Joesph Letang - Pettersson Marino OR Dumolin Letang - Joesph Marino. This is a pretty good top 4 IMO for Pittsburgh to help carry them threw the end of 87/71.

They need to look at probably making a deal with Seattle to take Matheson. That will be costly. They might have to give up Tanev + a pick just to get them to consider taking Matheson. I don't foresee that happening, but it would be great for Pittsburgh if it did.

The Penguins (this year) should look at trying to acquire a skilled 3c or a skilled top 6 winger. I'd lean more towards trying to bring in Taylor Hall. I don't think it's realistic for Pittsburgh to acquire Hall - but it would cost Dumo + probably Legare / Poulin + a pick and I'd like to see it accompanied by a contract extension that runs until the end of Crosby's contract (I believe Malkin and Letang will sign extensions to bring them to the end of Crosby's contract). Bringing in Hall could have the Penguins top 9 & top 4 look like this;
59-87-16
4-71-17 73-58
46-53-42 28-06

I know this is alot of information, but I think it's what gives them the best chance to win towards the end of the Crosby/Malkin era without giving up a first round pick OR leveraging any more of the future than they absolutely have to.

They never had any reason to want to leave, since it was always a win now team. This has been a playoff/competitive team for years. I think if we take a retool approach and Geno wants out, you fulfill his wish. I get your argument with adding a guy like Hall or a rental at the deadline, but if we are already struggling to win games with this core, I doubt a rental is what will make us start to win games comfortably. Matheson has been good this year and I get his contract is iffy, but if you need to pay a premium to move him, I don't do it. If this team really does retool, we will have the cap space to pay him. I get still wanting to win but this is no longer the same team. Its still early in the season, yes, but we have usually been solid in the regular season. I know we have a tough division, but to win it all, you need to beat the best to be the best. I just dont see it anymore. I am all for making a run with this core and maybe making a few player swaps along the way, but I don't think moving out picks/prospects should be the move anymore.
17 févr. 2021 à 21 h 24
Matheson has not been good this year. He’s actually not been good...any year. I’m not advertising to bring in Hall as a rental. I’m advertising to bring him in until the 25-26 season.

Trading Malkin does nothing. If you’re trading him two years ago, sure. Trading him this year or next? For what? A first round pick that will probably hit a ceiling of being AS GOOD as malkin is at the end of his career? I’ll pass.
17 févr. 2021 à 21 h 26
Also, keeping Legare and Poulin while you’re saying the penguins can make a run with the core is.. not happening lol.

You don’t keep guys who will maybe be middle of the pack wingers in 4 years instead of winning now.
17 févr. 2021 à 23 h 46
Banni
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 4,837
If this team retools it will be from FA.
I have to think the coach goes before any players at this point. He's lost the room. I just don't think they want to make that move mid season. Which is the real issue.
I don't see him here next year. But I think next year this team looks totally different on the 3rd line because Hextal will pick better bottom 6 players than JR did.

Matheson has not been good this year. He’s actually not been good...any year. I’m not advertising to bring in Hall as a rental. I’m advertising to bring him in until the 25-26 season.

Trading Malkin does nothing. If you’re trading him two years ago, sure. Trading him this year or next? For what? A first round pick that will probably hit a ceiling of being AS GOOD as malkin is at the end of his career? I’ll pass.

This isn't true at all. Matheson has looked good so far.
If he continues playing that way Seattle will take him, most the penguins add is a 2nd or 3rd to make sure.
Marcsnack a aimé ceci.
17 févr. 2021 à 23 h 51
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: pharrow
I have to think the coach goes before any players at this point. He's lost the room. I just don't think they want to make that move mid season. Which is the real issue.
I don't see him here next year. But I think next year this team looks totally different on the 3rd line because Hextal will pick better bottom 6 players than JR did.

I think Seattle looks at McCann/ZAR/Tanev, depending on which one is exposed, before Matheson. I do think he has been good though! Finally someone who agrees ahah.

If he continues playing that way Seattle will take him, most the penguins add is a 2nd or 3rd to make sure.
18 févr. 2021 à 0 h 6
Banni
Quoting: Marcsnack

Lets see how the year finishes on Matheson first. It's way to early to tell. Hell last year if JJ didn't totally melt down in the playoffs he might have been moveable as he wasn't a total eye sore on the ice.

If Matheson continues playing like he is now, I don't think it will be hard for him to be moved to Seattle at all.
He might be their best available player from the penguins. I don't think they will be nearly as concerned with the cap hit as we are, and might look at him as a piece that can be flipped down the road.
They also need to hit cap floor. The real question around that revolves around how many cap dumps they can take for 1st round picks etc.. I'm sure there will be some. But I imagine the VGK model of stocking up on D and then trading it out shortly after is probably high on their list.
Marcsnack a aimé ceci.
19 févr. 2021 à 7 h 49
Quoting: pharrow

Every single underlying number that we use to evaluate a player shows us that Matheson has been bad this year.

He’s made a couple nice plays over his last two games. It doesn’t excuse him from being a below replacement level defender in the nhl his entire career.
19 févr. 2021 à 19 h 5
Banni
Every single underlying number that we use to evaluate a player shows us that Matheson has been bad this year.

He’s made a couple nice plays over his last two games. It doesn’t excuse him from being a below replacement level defender in the nhl his entire career.

none of this is true.
you just make things up and try to run with them.
totally abject of all reality.
His 5v5 corsi is 55.4 with 44.6 Ozone starts. His FF is 57.6.
He's a +7 in the last 4 games, it's not surprise with those underlying numbers.
His play has been rock solid so far. There are many people on here who watch the games who are all saying this.
Marcsnack a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage