Forums/Armchair-GM

Maple Leafs Cap Compliant Trade Deadline

Créé par: bg77
Équipe: 2023-24 Maple Leafs de Toronto
Date de création initiale: 3 févr. 2024
Publié: 3 févr. 2024
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
In my opinion, the Leafs should add a right-shot defenseman, regardless of the concern about assets and their chances in the playoffs. It is always great for team morale to add an impact player at the trade deadline, it shows the players that management is committed to winning and believes in the group. Anything can happen in the playoffs, and it would be silly to write the Leafs or frankly any playoff team off entirely. I think if Toronto gets by Florida in their potential first round matchup, they could make a run to the Conference Finals.

I have the Leafs acquiring Chris Tanev from the Flames in exchange for a 2024 1st Round Pick, and a 2024 4th Round Pick. The 4th round pick is added for 50% salary retention, which allows Toronto to be cap compliant. Pierre Lebrun recently came out and confirmed that Calgary's asking price is a 2nd rounder plus another asset, so this trade would certainly put the Leafs in prime contention to win this bidding war.

Acquiring Tanev gives Morgan Rielly the perfect partner, and makes it so that every other defenseman can go further down the lineup. It also allows Keefe to run 11 and 7 again so that Giordano can get in the lineup in a limited role, as he grew tired near the end of last season and started playing sheltered minutes. Similar to last year's trade deadline, the Leafs would not be trading any of their current prospects, which is important to me.

Lastly, I believe the Leafs will carry 3 goalies for the remainder of the season and playoffs once Joseph Woll returns. Jones will be lost on waivers if we send him down, and if injury occurs it is integral that we have depth in net. Goaltenders can get hot at any moment, and we could see a surprise performance from any of these options if the stars align.

Please let me know what you think in the comment section below, I am open to both positive and constructive feedback!
Transactions
TOR
  1. Tanev, Christopher (2 250 000 $ retained)
CGY
  1. Choix de 1e ronde en 2024 (TOR)
  2. Choix de 4e ronde en 2024 (TOR)
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de NYI
Logo de CGY
Logo de VAN
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de OTT
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de CHI
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2383 500 000 $79 993 950 $0 $0 $3 506 050 $

Formation

Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
925 000 $925 000 $
AG, AD
RFA - 2
11 640 250 $11 640 250 $
C
NMC
UFA - 1
10 903 000 $10 903 000 $
AD
NMC
UFA - 2
5 500 000 $5 500 000 $
AG, AD
NMC
UFA - 1
11 000 000 $11 000 000 $
C, AG
NMC
UFA - 2
6 962 366 $6 962 366 $
AD
NMC
UFA - 1
796 667 $796 667 $
AG, AD
RFA - 1
3 000 000 $3 000 000 $
C, AD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
2 100 000 $2 100 000 $
AD, C, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 3
775 000 $775 000 $
AG, AD
RFA - 1
2 400 000 $2 400 000 $
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
1 350 000 $1 350 000 $
AD
UFA - 3
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
7 500 000 $7 500 000 $
DG
NMC
UFA - 7
Logo de Flames de Calgary
-1 125 000 $-1 125 000 $
DD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
766 667 $766 667 $
G
RFA - 2
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
DG/DD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
1 400 000 $1 400 000 $
DD
RFA - 1
3 550 000 $3 550 000 $
G
UFA - 1
775 000 $775 000 $
DG
UFA - 1
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG/DD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
875 000 $875 000 $
G
UFA - 1
800 000 $800 000 $
DG
UFA - 1
1 100 000 $1 100 000 $
DD
RFA - 2
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
5 625 000 $5 625 000 $
DG
M-NTC
UFA - 1
4 687 500 $4 687 500 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
4 150 000 $4 150 000 $
DD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
3 févr. à 12 h 7
Me
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 254
LeBrun also said if a team offered a first for Tanev right now he would already be theirs. My guess is if the leafs give up a first for Tanev they get back a pick alongside him like a third rather than giving up the additional fourth
bg77 a aimé ceci.
3 févr. à 12 h 7
Tank it baby
Rejoint: juill. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,246
A fair Tanev offer. 😁
bg77 a aimé ceci.
3 févr. à 12 h 8
Tank it baby
Rejoint: juill. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,246
Quoting: Leafsleaks123
LeBrun also said if a team offered a first for Tanev right now he would already be theirs. My guess is if the leafs give up a first for Tanev they get back a pick alongside him like a third rather than giving up the additional fourth

Leafs don't get a pick back.

Retention isn't Free. 🙄
bg77 a aimé ceci.
3 févr. à 12 h 9
Rejoint: mai 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 780
Trading a 1st for an injury riddled 34 year old pending UFA isn’t a smart idea. Yes the Leafs have heavy interest in Tanev, but I don’t think it’s for the 24’ 1st round pick level - they might rather take their chances and see if he hits free agency and sign him for nothing instead. Management realizes the team isn’t at a level of where it needs to be right now and part of that is the depth within the organization, Treliving is stressing to build up the prospects for that pick is more valuable to him than people think.

I think the only way the 24’ 1st round pick gets moved is for a defenceman with term - my guess is Ristolainen who Toronto has also had heavy interest in and has 4 years on his deal at a good cap hit.
bg77 a aimé ceci.
3 févr. à 12 h 9
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 31
Quoting: Leafsleaks123

Thank you for the feedback! I saw the LeBrun quote that I mentioned but was unaware of this additional bit of information. Very interesting idea, if the Leafs get a Calgary third it will be higher in the round too, that would be amazing.

What are you current feelings about the roster heading into the playoffs?
3 févr. à 12 h 9
Me
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 254
Quoting: SharkTank
Leafs don't get a pick back.

Retention isn't Free. 🙄

Retention is the only reason the leafs would give up a first in the first place. The pick covers the retention.
3 févr. à 12 h 14
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 31
Quoting: Ryminister_92
Trading a 1st for an injury riddled 34 year old pending UFA isn’t a smart idea. Yes the Leafs have heavy interest in Tanev, but I don’t think it’s for the 24’ 1st round pick level - they might rather take their chances and see if he hits free agency and sign him for nothing instead. Management realizes the team isn’t at a level of where it needs to be right now and part of that is the depth within the organization, Treliving is stressing to build up the prospects for that pick is more valuable to him than people think.

I think the only way the 24’ 1st round pick gets moved is for a defenceman with term - my guess is Ristolainen who Toronto has also had heavy interest in and has 4 years on his deal at a good cap hit.

Thank you for the feedback! I think the fact that Tanev is from Toronto and familiar with Treliving makes this a great fit. I'm more bullish on him than you seem to be, and that's fine. In terms of Ristolainen, I don't know how Toronto could make the salary cap work, a big part of acquiring a player on an expiring deal is it is much more realistic to get salary retention, and then the Leafs could extend Tanev beyond this season on a 2 year bridge deal.

I do agree however that it would be enticing to keep the first and sign Tanev in July, I just think the Leafs need to keep going for it. Do you have any concerns heading into the playoffs with the roster?
3 févr. à 12 h 25
Rejoint: mai 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 780
Quoting: bg77
Thank you for the feedback! I think the fact that Tanev is from Toronto and familiar with Treliving makes this a great fit. I'm more bullish on him than you seem to be, and that's fine. In terms of Ristolainen, I don't know how Toronto could make the salary cap work, a big part of acquiring a player on an expiring deal is it is much more realistic to get salary retention, and then the Leafs could extend Tanev beyond this season on a 2 year bridge deal.

I do agree however that it would be enticing to keep the first and sign Tanev in July, I just think the Leafs need to keep going for it. Do you have any concerns heading into the playoffs with the roster?

I never argued the fit of Tanev in Toronto, in fact I agree that he’d be a good fit. I just know that Treliving highly values the 24’ 1st rounder due to the lack of prospects in the system that he likes and the lack of high draft picks over the next 3 years. He knows that because of the cap situation that good drafted players are going to be even more vital to the Leafs so he’s hesitant to move them. It would take a lot to get him to move pieces like that right now.

Ristolainen is possible. It would just take a bit of extra cap management and probably moving a guy like Timmins out as well - the problem is getting likely costs the 24’ 1st + Minten as the starting package, which again is a high ask for Treliving cause he’s stressing from building within.

As for the roster, it highly concerns me. Lack of depth production, lack of capable defenders, and inconsistent goalies doesn’t exactly give confidence to a championship hopeful team. Treliving is trying to add to reward the core, they’ve been great but the rest of the roster is lacking. The problem is that Toronto doesn’t have many valuable assets that other teams want outside of the 24’ 1st rounder, Minten, or Cowan and they’re generally not available unless something makes perfect sense and that would only be a right handed shot defender with term. Treliving is usually a guy that builds more in the off-season and I’d expect the same to continue but more depth moves made at the deadline this year

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage