Forums/Armchair-GM

My Final 2021 Opening Lines Predication

Créé par: DeletedACGMAccount
Équipe: 2021-22 Maple Leafs de Toronto
Date de création initiale: 8 sept. 2021
Publié: 8 sept. 2021
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
Toronto has a very different forward group this year, one that some (including myself) are very high on, while some others doubt their ability all together to even so much as push for a playoff spot. Here are my explanations for the forward lines, tried to pack in a decent amount of detail as I have a lot of thoughts about this group.

Line 1: I would personally love to see Bunting on the top line, but my final decision to have Ritchie there instead is less so about Bunting on the first, but the idea of Ritchie on the second line. Ritchie isnt exactly the greatest skater on earth, and Tavares' skating is not bad but also not great. That being said, the decision to put Ritchie on the first line isnt purely because of a "meh" fit on the second line. I think above anyone else on the team, Matthews and Marner benefit the most from having someone super physical on their line. Nick Ritchie brings something to the Leafs forward group that has been absent for a very long time; physicality without compromise. In the past, the Leafs have had to compromise when it came to bringing physicality onto the team, as by doing so they had to settle for less offense. Guys like Sabourin provided little to nothing other than being a bruiser. When Simmonds was throwing big hits, we had to deal with the following injuries that ended up tainting a relatively good start to the season for Simmonds. Bogosian's play on the back end was very good, but he didnt really get gritty all that often. Nick Ritchie is a brick wall. Standing at 6'2 and 230lbs, Nick Ritchie is potentially the most equipped physical player on the Leafs in a long time. Not only does he have size, Ritchie is also another shooting option on the top line, as he has proved that he can put up some pretty decent numbers and score a fair amount. While he doesn't fill the hole left by Zach Hyman, I dont think we should hold him to that standard. Hyman is not a big guy like Ritchie, who can actually throw some hits without sacrificing offense. All and all, Ritchie is a good fit for the top line who can sit infront of the net, throw some hits, and score.

Line 2: As previously mentioned, the spot of 2LW seems to be a highly contested battle between Bunting and Ritchie, however I think ultimately Bunting should start the season there. Not only is Ritchie a tad bit slow for the second line, but Bunting is also a very good choice for second line who could drive the play down low and create scoring chances out of corners to two very capable scorers. Bunting brings speed and a very energetic, greasy play style.

Line 3: This is a line I personally really enjoy. A very intriguing comparison is the Danault line Montreal iced for much of last season, with a very defense oriented center that wins faceoffs, with two offensively minded wingers to drive the offense. Kerfoot is much better suited to be playing in an offensive role, and Kase is a very capable forward, putting up some very impressive numbers in the past. While Kase is easily a top 6 player, he would likely benefit from a bit more of a sheltered role on the third line due to his previous injuries and the negative affects they have had on him. I think Kerfoot and Kase could end up clicking and putting up some very impressive numbers, while Kampf wins the draws and plays defense. Kampf also doesnt get enough credit for his effort, as he gives it his all out on the ice.

Line 4: This is a line that should only have one focus; offense. I don't think Mikheyev is necessarily an offensively minded player, but his speed would be a much welcomed addition to this line. Assuming Simmonds plays less of a role on this years team, I could see a Brooks - Spezza - Mikheyev line to add some more youth, speed, and offense to the line. Hopefully Mikheyev bounces back this year. Though his poor resulted last year have really put a damper on the community's view of him as a player, I'm just going to chalk it up to the wrist injury and wish the best for the guy. Assuming he doesn't work out, Brooks is a more than viable option to put more pressure on Mikheyev's game. I assume Simmonds sits some games and in his absence Brooks is played.

Defense pairings remain almost completely unchanged from last year, so I won't go into as much detail for them.

Line 1: The tried and true Rielly / Brodie pairing. Hopefully Rielly plays the kind of defense he did in the playoffs, but even if he doesn't this is a very good pairing. Brodie is a beast and I'm hopeful he continues his fantastic play.

Line 2: Another tried and true defensive pairing, Muzzin and Holl have been the go to shutdown guys for the Leafs. Hopefully Holl is a little more consistent in his play this year, however at his price tag and the sheer amount of minutes the guy eats up, I'm more than happy with him. Jake Muzzin is Jake Muzzin and little needs to be said about Toronto's best defenseman. He is an anchor and is irreplaceable on this team. Just an absolute stud.

Line 3: While the loss of Bogosian stings a little bit simply because of his genuinely good play last year, Sandin is ready to take the next step and be a regular on this team. His unfortunate run in with the injury bug last year kind of ruined his opportunity to be a regular with the Leafs this past season, but he looks poised to be a regular with the team this season. As for the 3RD, the choice right now is fairly obvious. It's got to be Travis Dermott. While the Leafs have some very competant RHD prospects in Mennell and Liljegren, I think they are going to start the season with the Marlies and are going to have to impress a fair amount to convince management that they are capable to be regulars in the lineup.

As for this teams goaltending, I think it will be split 50 - 30 for Campbell and Mrazek respectively, unless Mrazek really proves himself to be a dependable Leaf. Right now, Campbell is a proved goalie who is coming off of a remarkable season with the team. Theres no doubt in my mind that Mrazek is also a very good goalie who also just had a very good, albeit injury riddled season, but he was with a different team with arguably the strongest defense in the league covering him.
Transactions impliquant une retenue de salaire
Enfoui
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2181 500 000 $81 019 783 $0 $0 $480 217 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
2 500 000 $2 500 000 $
AG
UFA - 2
11 640 250 $11 640 250 $
C
UFA - 3
10 903 000 $10 903 000 $
AD
UFA - 4
950 000 $950 000 $
AG
UFA - 2
11 000 000 $11 000 000 $
C, AG
NMC
UFA - 4
6 962 366 $6 962 366 $
AD
UFA - 3
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
AG, C, AD
UFA - 2
1 250 000 $1 250 000 $
AD
UFA - 1
1 645 000 $1 645 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
C
UFA - 2
900 000 $900 000 $
AD, AG
NTC
UFA - 2
750 000 $750 000 $
C, AD
UFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG
NMC
UFA - 1
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG/DD
NTC
UFA - 3
1 650 000 $1 650 000 $
G
UFA - 1
5 625 000 $5 625 000 $
DG
NTC
UFA - 3
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
DD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
3 800 000 $3 800 000 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
894 167 $894 167 $
DG
UFA - 1
1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 2
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
725 000 $725 000 $
C
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
8 sept. 2021 à 18 h 43
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 471
Great job buddy! Fantastic read this.
I agree with pretty much everything and made a similar post to this yesterday. I literally think that the only weakness this team has is that third pairing. While both Dermott and Sandin are good players in their own rights, I am not sold on them paired together when games start to count and the game gets more physical. I would like an addition to the backend in the mold of Bogosian. Preferably right-handed since that player likely will be asked to play on the penalty kill with Brodie who is left handed. I have compiled a list with players that potentially could come available during the season fitting that description depending on how their team performs. Let me know who you would add if the Leafs do decide to make a move on a bottom pairing defenseman.

- Calvin De Haan. Left handed but comfortable on the right side, he is pretty expensive coming in at $4.55M ($2.275M at 50% retained) and would likely not be my first choice.
- Zach Whitecloud/Dylan Coughlan. Very unlikely that one of them are available, but I like their physical presence especially Whitecloud. Would be cheap contracts as well under $1M.
- Justin Braun. Right handed and fits my description pretty much perfectly. Philly has to be bad however if he is going to be available. $1.8M ($900K at 50% retained).
- Trevor van Riemsdyk. Not the most physical defenseman, but he is a big body that blocks a ton of shots on the PK. Cheap contract for two years as well ($900K). Unlikely WSH lets him go.
- Robert Bortuzzo. Same as Justin Brown, very experienced and Stanley Cup winner as well. Contract is $1.375M ($687.5K at 50% retained). Hinges on the Blues being bad tho.
- Ilya Lyubushkin. I like him a lot. Very solid defensive defenseman with a big frame that plays physical and eats tons of shots. Good underlying numbers as well. He is probably my favorite for this role. Contract is only $1.35M ($675K at 50% retained). I could see him be a really sneaky good pickup.
- PK Subban. We all know what PK is about and while he might not be what he once was, I still think he would be effective on a third pair. I don't think he is a 22 minute a night defenseman a night, but I am sure he can perform well and be effective playing 18 minutes a night instead. Would require double retention with a third party team so we could get his salary down to $2.25M.
- Josh Manson. I like addition to add Manson to our third pair. However, for what he provides, he might be too expensive to acquire. I am thinking a 2nd and a 3rd for him at 50% retained which would be $2.05M. I think Lyubushkin would come in and do the same thing for much cheaper.
- Colin Miller. Obviously the SOO connection is there, but I am not sure if he is the perfect fit. He ticks all the boxes, but I worry he might be too offensive. At 50% retained he would come in at $1.9375M.

Do you have any suggestions of what the Leafs should add? I see a lot of people seem to think a top six forward and while that might be nice, I think after watching Ritchie and Bunting on the top six for 50-60 games, we will be confident enough with what we have in them. Our third line winger pair should provide some nice secondary scoring as well, something we lacked last season.
DeletedACGMAccount a aimé ceci.
8 sept. 2021 à 19 h 26
Démarrer sujet
Deleted
Rejoint: janv. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 1,812
Quoting: BallPuckFellow10
Great job buddy! Fantastic read this.
I agree with pretty much everything and made a similar post to this yesterday. I literally think that the only weakness this team has is that third pairing. While both Dermott and Sandin are good players in their own rights, I am not sold on them paired together when games start to count and the game gets more physical. I would like an addition to the backend in the mold of Bogosian. Preferably right-handed since that player likely will be asked to play on the penalty kill with Brodie who is left handed. I have compiled a list with players that potentially could come available during the season fitting that description depending on how their team performs. Let me know who you would add if the Leafs do decide to make a move on a bottom pairing defenseman.

- Calvin De Haan. Left handed but comfortable on the right side, he is pretty expensive coming in at $4.55M ($2.275M at 50% retained) and would likely not be my first choice.
- Zach Whitecloud/Dylan Coughlan. Very unlikely that one of them are available, but I like their physical presence especially Whitecloud. Would be cheap contracts as well under $1M.
- Justin Braun. Right handed and fits my description pretty much perfectly. Philly has to be bad however if he is going to be available. $1.8M ($900K at 50% retained).
- Trevor van Riemsdyk. Not the most physical defenseman, but he is a big body that blocks a ton of shots on the PK. Cheap contract for two years as well ($900K). Unlikely WSH lets him go.
- Robert Bortuzzo. Same as Justin Brown, very experienced and Stanley Cup winner as well. Contract is $1.375M ($687.5K at 50% retained). Hinges on the Blues being bad tho.
- Ilya Lyubushkin. I like him a lot. Very solid defensive defenseman with a big frame that plays physical and eats tons of shots. Good underlying numbers as well. He is probably my favorite for this role. Contract is only $1.35M ($675K at 50% retained). I could see him be a really sneaky good pickup.
- PK Subban. We all know what PK is about and while he might not be what he once was, I still think he would be effective on a third pair. I don't think he is a 22 minute a night defenseman a night, but I am sure he can perform well and be effective playing 18 minutes a night instead. Would require double retention with a third party team so we could get his salary down to $2.25M.
- Josh Manson. I like addition to add Manson to our third pair. However, for what he provides, he might be too expensive to acquire. I am thinking a 2nd and a 3rd for him at 50% retained which would be $2.05M. I think Lyubushkin would come in and do the same thing for much cheaper.
- Colin Miller. Obviously the SOO connection is there, but I am not sure if he is the perfect fit. He ticks all the boxes, but I worry he might be too offensive. At 50% retained he would come in at $1.9375M.

Do you have any suggestions of what the Leafs should add? I see a lot of people seem to think a top six forward and while that might be nice, I think after watching Ritchie and Bunting on the top six for 50-60 games, we will be confident enough with what we have in them. Our third line winger pair should provide some nice secondary scoring as well, something we lacked last season.

Totally agree with you, the big "what if" for me if that third pairing. Neither Sandin or Dermott are very big and are both relatively young. I think Colin Miller is likely available, but I have also really liked Lyubushkin for a while and think he would be my personal ideal trade target. It's difficult to tell with Sandin because sometimes he plays like he is bigger than he actually is (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXkf08mp5K4), but thats not always the case. A Sandin - Lyubushkin third pair could be very solid and would fill a very evident weakness to this team. I am pretty confident with our forward group and goaltending, plus the top 4 defense isnt too shabby. It should be an interesting season for sure
BallPuckFellow10 a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage