Forums/Armchair-GM

The Bare Minimum

Créé par: OldNYIfan
Équipe: 2019-20 Maple Leafs de Toronto
Date de création initiale: 25 mai 2019
Publié: 27 mai 2019
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
I've noticed that several newcomers to CapFriendly simply don't understand the issue we've been addressing since September, so I'm posting this construction to illustrate the problem.

Shown here are the 10 forwards under contract plus Jeremy Bracco, four of the defensemen under contract minus Justin Holl plus Rasmus Sandin and Timothy Liljegren, and the two goalies under contract. Nathan Horton is on the LTIR, and Mitch Marner, Andreas Johnsson and Kasperi Kapanen are absent because they are Restricted Free Agents. This roster therefore represents the players available within the system for next season. And any substitutions (i.e., promotions from the Marlies) would make a negligible economic impact.

The bottom line is clear and stark -- even assuming the Maple Leafs would want to go with a 22-man roster (i.e., signing only the 3 RFA's), Toronto has only $12.1M to spare. Even adding Zach Hyman to the LTIR only affords temporary relief: then the budget would be $8.2M for Marner and $3.1M each for Johnsson and Kapanen.

Let's assume that realistically, Marner is going to get $9M and Johnsson and Kapanen together a total of $7M. Now, trading Kadri would just barely solve the economic problem (assuming a $1M player comes back), but doesn't begin to address the on-ice problem of the bottom half of that defense.

The bottom line I that unless Dubas is willing to let Johnsson and Kapanen go for a mere second-round pick each, Toronto is going to have to create at least $7M in cap space over the summer.

Finally, note that Travis Dermott's injury makes the RD weakness even worse.
Rachats de contrats
Transactions impliquant une retenue de salaire
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de STL
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de DAL
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de EDM
Logo de SJS
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
1983 000 000 $65 284 699 $0 $482 500 $17 715 301 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
2 250 000 $2 250 000 $
AD, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 2
11 634 000 $11 634 000 $
C
UFA - 5
6 962 366 $6 962 366 $
AD
UFA - 5
700 000 $700 000 $
AG, C
UFA - 1
11 000 000 $11 000 000 $
C, AG
NMC
UFA - 6
2 100 000 $2 100 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 1
775 000 $775 000 $
C, AG, AD
UFA - 2
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
775 000 $775 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 2
675 000 $675 000 $
C
UFA - 1
842 500 $842 500 $ (Bonis de performance82 500 $$82K)
AD
UFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG
UFA - 3
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
DD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
4 000 000 $4 000 000 $
DG
UFA - 1
863 333 $863 333 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1
750 000 $750 000 $
G
UFA - 1
863 333 $863 333 $ (Bonis de performance400 000 $$400K)
DD
RFA - 3
894 167 $894 167 $
DG
UFA - 3
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
5 300 000 $5 300 000 $
AD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
27 mai 2019 à 18 h 26
Rejoint: avr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 748
You are 100 percent correct, so if a team out there really wanted one of Kapanen or Johnsson then a offer sheet could pose a problem. Let’s say the Canes offer sheet Kapanen at 4M per and the Leafs match. Then if I were the Canes I would instantly offer sheet Johnsson the same 4M, no way the leafs can match both. I understand that the players have to sign the offer sheet but it could get ugly for the Leafs if a team or teams want to put pressure on them.
27 mai 2019 à 18 h 26
hockey_nutter
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 14
You are absolutely right, and even still, most teams will work toward a 23 man roster which is an extra 750 000 that needs to be accounted for. Every time I tried to create a roster I had to trade 2+ players, Nylander and Brown, Zaitsev and Kadri(which creates a defensive and center hole), Brown and Kadri, the list goes on, but it looks like leafs need to clear about 8-9 million to make a competitive balanced roster. Dubas has his hands full. I wish we could have a team with 12 forwards, 6 defenseman and 1 goalie and all the extras don't count toward the cap but it doesnt work like that.
27 mai 2019 à 18 h 45
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 214
It will be interesting what happens in Toronto this summer. I've got my pop corn popping
27 mai 2019 à 18 h 50
Démarrer sujet
Once a Kings Fan Too
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 25,791
Quoting: Smokingun71
You are 100 percent correct, so if a team out there really wanted one of Kapanen or Johnsson then a offer sheet could pose a problem. Let’s say the Canes offer sheet Kapanen at 4M per and the Leafs match. Then if I were the Canes I would instantly offer sheet Johnsson the same 4M, no way the leafs can match both. I understand that the players have to sign the offer sheet but it could get ugly for the Leafs if a team or teams want to put pressure on them.

Offer sheets could make a headache a nightmare.

By the way, back on July 5 (before he accepted his qualifying offer) I posted a Toronto construction suggesting that Johnsson should get $2.5M per year. I got roasted and one person even commented "Why are you giving a guy who has 9 NHL games so much money?" My point isn't that the blind-pigs-can-find-the-occasional-truffle cliche is true but that the most important quality a GM can have is foresight.
27 mai 2019 à 19 h 9
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 214
Quoting: OldNYIfan

By the way, back on July 5 (before he accepted his qualifying offer) I posted a Toronto construction suggesting that Johnsson should get $2.5M per year. I got roasted and one person even commented "Why are you giving a guy who has 9 NHL games so much money?" My point isn't that the blind-pigs-can-find-the-occasional-truffle cliche is true but that the most important quality a GM can have is foresight.

And the old saying "when the watering hole starts to dry up, the animals start to look at each other a little differently"

I am not sure how "loyal" these RFA's will be knowing how much bank has been given out.
27 mai 2019 à 21 h 24
Formerly Jamiepo
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 10,700
Quoting: OldNYIfan

Probably got roasted because it was a bad contract. He was offered 2.1m x 2 years at the TDL. He declined that and 2.6m x 4 years. I think I had him at 1m x 2 years. If dubas could go back I’m sure he would either A. Give him a 2 year QO or B. Sign him earlier to a cheap 1 way contract like Moore. Unfortunately he was up to his eyeballs trying to land Tavares, sign nylander and make sure he was able to let his UFA’s go.

As far as offersheets, I’m not too concerned. Most gm’s will try to work out an honest trade first. If kappy or mango are looking for too much they will be traded.
OldNYIfan et Chips_n_beer a aimé ceci.
27 mai 2019 à 21 h 27
Formerly Jamiepo
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 10,700
Also wanted to mention this is a great AGM to put up... too bad we can’t have it Stiky’d at the top of the list.

I do completely disagree with letting kappy and Mango go for a 2nd. That’s just ridiculous.
27 mai 2019 à 22 h 36
Démarrer sujet
Once a Kings Fan Too
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 25,791
Quoting: Jamiepo
Also wanted to mention this is a great AGM to put up... too bad we can’t have it Stiky’d at the top of the list.

I do completely disagree with letting kappy and Mango go for a 2nd. That’s just ridiculous.

Thanks, Jamie.

I thought this ws important because I recently had discussions with two newcomers who disputed my position that Dubas is going to have to find a way to cut roughly $9M off the payroll if he is to re-sign Marner, Johnsson and Kapanen at the figures everyone seems to be bandying about.
Chips_n_beer a aimé ceci.
28 mai 2019 à 9 h 25
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,540
Nicely done, OldNY.

I landed on Po's agm related to this idea first, and then circled back to your original concept. I think the two of you are spot on with what you're laying out.

When the leafs cap situation is broken down into its relative parts its really not that difficult to see what options exist and what needs to be done. And so long as I don't get too attached to any one player needing to be a leaf, then the way out of this squeeze isn't too difficult. It might not be preferred, but its not difficult.

At the end of the day the leafs have too many good young players looking for raises. This is a good thing, because it means there are assets of value that can be traded out if needed. They aren't bogged down in too many bad or over inflated contracts. That would be a bad thing. The Leafs have lots of options moving forward... and I think we're actually in good shape. Even if that means some changes are coming.
28 mai 2019 à 9 h 29
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,540
Quoting: Chips_n_beer
And the old saying "when the watering hole starts to dry up, the animals start to look at each other a little differently"

I am not sure how "loyal" these RFA's will be knowing how much bank has been given out.

one of the best comments I've read in some time.. sums things up pretty well, I'd say.
OldNYIfan et Chips_n_beer a aimé ceci.
29 mai 2019 à 11 h 44
Jangle29
Rejoint: avr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 832
The one problem here is that Johnsson and Kapanen won't cost 7 mil together. Show examples of 3rs line players after one season making that money.
Second is thatvif someone offersheets Kapanen he will leave. He's actually disgustingly overrated

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage