Équipe: 2019-20 Maple Leafs de Toronto
Date de création initiale: 30 avr. 2019
Publié: 30 avr. 2019
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
EDITED!!
To...
1. Make the Brown trade better reflect Puli's reclamation project status
2. Deleted Stralman UFA signing and spent some of those Offer Sheet firsts to get Spurgeon out of MIN
3 Reduced Gardiner's salary to lower end of an 8-year deal (assuming 500k hometown discount or attractive bonus structure)

1. See trade for Marner explanation
2. Marleau's looking at season of healthy scratches. Trade him to OTT after bonus is paid and he's owed ~1m. They reach the floor and get to the cap floor. He retires.
3. Zaitsev -- rumors are BUF is doing a lot to rework their defense this summer (trading Risto?). Their dogshhht PK and terrible defense could use Zaitsev, and they improve picks and dump a bad salary in getting him.
4. Use savings to sign Duchene, re-sign Gardiner, add D depth. Altogether is that > then Marner at 11m? Idk. Maybe!

Salary estimates based on https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15E1qqh3OfHvvhbv_pICfKT7VR1jJEVhWQOyKviWLN54/edit#gid=707766415
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
RFAANSCAP HIT
33 000 000 $
22 375 000 $
1775 000 $
UFAANSCAP HIT
78 000 000 $
85 000 000 $
Transactions
TOR
  1. Choix de 5e ronde en 2019 (OTT)
OTT
  1. Marleau, Patrick
  2. Choix de 3e ronde en 2019 (TOR)
TOR
  1. Choix de 1e ronde en 2020 (NYR)
  2. Choix de 1e ronde en 2021 (NYR)
Détails additionnels:
2022 1st round pick (NYR)
2023 1st round pick (NYR)
NYR
  1. Marner, Mitchell [Droits de RFA]
Détails additionnels:
(Paul gets in his boy's ear and Mitch signs a $11.16m x6 offer sheet from the NYR -- Leafs take the picks and run)
TOR
  1. Sobotka, Vladimír
  2. Choix de 5e ronde en 2020 (BUF)
BUF
  1. Zaitsev, Nikita
  2. Choix de 4e ronde en 2019 (TOR)
TOR
  1. Puljujärvi, Jesse [Droits de RFA]
EDM
  1. Brown, Connor
  2. Choix de 4e ronde en 2019 (STL)
TOR
  1. Spurgeon, Jared (500 000 $ retained)
MIN
  1. Liljegren, Timothy
  2. Choix de 1e ronde en 2020 (TOR)
  3. Choix de 3e ronde en 2021 (TOR)
Rachats de contrats
Transactions impliquant une retenue de salaire
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de OTT
Logo de TOR
Logo de DAL
Logo de NYR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de BUF
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de EDM
Logo de SJS
Logo de TOR
Logo de NYR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2283 500 000 $83 268 033 $0 $265 000 $231 967 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
8 000 000 $8 000 000 $
AD, C
UFA - 7
Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
11 000 000 $11 000 000 $
C, AG
NMC
UFA - 6
2 250 000 $2 250 000 $
AD, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 2
2 375 000 $2 375 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 4
11 634 000 $11 634 000 $
C
UFA - 5
6 962 366 $6 962 366 $
AD
UFA - 5
775 000 $775 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 2
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
3 000 000 $3 000 000 $
AD
UFA - 3
775 000 $775 000 $
C, AG, AD
UFA - 2
759 167 $759 167 $ (Bonis de performance132 500 $$132K)
C
UFA - 1
775 000 $775 000 $
AD
UFA
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG
UFA - 3
Logo de Wild du Minnesota
4 687 500 $4 687 500 $
DD
NMC
UFA - 1
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG
UFA - 4
4 000 000 $4 000 000 $
DG
UFA - 1
800 000 $800 000 $
G
RFA - 2
894 167 $894 167 $
DG
UFA - 3
863 333 $863 333 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
750 000 $750 000 $
DG
UFA - 2
5 300 000 $5 300 000 $
AD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
767 500 $767 500 $ (Bonis de performance132 500 $$132K)
AG, AD
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
30 avr. 2019 à 19 h 23
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,540
Quoting: capsin9
Why not have the highest paid winger you have 2/3 of the highest paid centers? And you don’t need marner at 11 million but you didn’t need Tavares at 11 million or Matthews at 11m+ either. You guys set a ridiculous standard by overpaying superstars that it’s hard to expect guys like marner to not want what his peers/ equals are making. What’s Reilly going to make in a few years or Anderson? I don’t blame you guys for wanting this trend to stop but your gm folder like a chair with Matthews and nylander. Tavares was a ufa so you are generally going to overpay them. Your points are well received but my point is that you can and based off past contracts should pay him 10.5-11m and just trade nylander who is a lesser player that doesn’t have as big of an impact

What’s taking my p*ss. Seems weird? Whatever makes you happy.

lol. Taking the p*ss.. it's a british term, and yeah, they are weird..

The reason to stop this madness now with the Marner contract is that the compensation could be crazy beneficial for the team.. 4 1sts and the cap space.

Willy is a good player, but the biggest benefit of trading him would be cap relief, without much coming back. I think Rye spells it out nicely for what the leafs could put together if it comes to an OS.
capsin9 a aimé ceci.
30 avr. 2019 à 19 h 25
Banni
Rejoint: avr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 353
Quoting: Ryminister_27
Marner isn't the Leafs best player.. & 1 player can't carry a team the whole way. Even McDavid couldn't. & if player are being stubborn and want a ridiculous amount of money that they aren't worth, you move them for assets to make the team better. Marner was 60 point player until Tavares signed and played with him. So you're justification that "wingers can make players better too" has some logic to it, but that fact puts it to sleep.

Theoretically speaking, if Marner were to sign an offer sheet, the return is massive for Toronto. They could use that money to sign a player like Skinner, say he makes $8M then. There's an extra $3M in cap space to spend on a d-man to improve the team. That also allows the team to have Skinner play with JT still, keep the Matthews, Johnsson and Japanen line together, move Nylander to 3C and allow them to trade Kadri for an upgrade on defence. Plus they still have 4 future 1st round picks which could be lottery picks of the team Marner went to doesn't make playoffs.
So by letting Marner her his offer sheet somewhere else, Toronto could theoretically get:
4 future 1st round picks
A replacement top 6 forward
Upgrade to the defence
$3M in cap space

... as a Leafs fan, I'd take that. Makes the team more of a contender.

Okay let’s my this long story short. How do you justify over paying Matthews nylander and Tavares (ufa easier to justify imo) but not overpaying marner. The kid has done nothing but play hard and produce great numbers. He’s also a Toronto kid why are you punishing him or giving him”fair” pay but overpaying everyone else? Seems unfair. Now I don’t condone the idea that he’s worth 11m but how do you justify paying others more with similar results .....
30 avr. 2019 à 19 h 28
Banni
Quoting: blowing_the_zone
lol. Taking the p*ss.. it's a british term, and yeah, they are weird..

The reason to stop this madness now with the Marner contract is that the compensation could be crazy beneficial for the team.. 4 1sts and the cap space.

Willy is a good player, but the biggest benefit of trading him would be cap relief, without much coming back. I think Rye spells it out nicely for what the leafs could put together if it comes to an OS.

Haha okay I was confused by it. I would honestly trade him for a lesser cap player. 1st round picks get glorified.... well let’s assume he goes to AZ he’s good enough to make them a 20-31 pick team. Does that pick turn into an nhl ready guy right away? This trade might benefit them later maybe?

Either way if you guys are happy then good but to let a young talent like him walk is crazy to me. Caps overpaid Wilson to stay for a long term and I loved it.
blowing_the_zone a aimé ceci.
30 avr. 2019 à 19 h 39
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 19
Okay let’s my this long story short. How do you justify over paying Matthews nylander and Tavares (ufa easier to justify imo) but not overpaying marner. The kid has done nothing but play hard and produce great numbers. He’s also a Toronto kid why are you punishing him or giving him”fair” pay but overpaying everyone else? Seems unfair. Now I don’t condone the idea that he’s worth 11m but how do you justify paying others more with similar results .....

The answer is... you don't have to justify it?

How do you justify isn't the right question at all.

Instead, it's this: Which of the big three RFAs would really be attractive to teams looking to make a big offer sheet push? It's just Matthews and Marner. Matthews is signed. If Marner's offered something crazy -- but apparently something he's looking for, so perhaps he'd sign -- then the question isn't really if he "deserves" the contract but if the team could find a use for the 4 firsts and $11m in cap space such that they exceed the value of an $11m Marner. Ryminister had it exactly right imo: 4 firsts (which can get you depth, be traded for upgrades) + an $8m winger + a good defenseman is > Marner.
blowing_the_zone a aimé ceci.
30 avr. 2019 à 19 h 41
Haha okay I was confused by it. I would honestly trade him for a lesser cap player. 1st round picks get glorified.... well let’s assume he goes to AZ he’s good enough to make them a 20-31 pick team. Does that pick turn into an nhl ready guy right away? This trade might benefit them later maybe?

Either way if you guys are happy then good but to let a young talent like him walk is crazy to me. Caps overpaid Wilson to stay for a long term and I loved it.

Yeah, I think the value of having 7 first round picks over the next four years is really the currency they represent. Dubas could start throwing 1sts out to teams looking to rebuild in trades to address weaknesses, without needing to abandon their own drafting and developing model.

Anyways, I don't think it happens at all. I think Mitch comes in on a deal that works for both sides, probable a bridge. But I won't be happy until this Mitch = 12M and the leafs need to pay him that nonsense goes away.. actually, they more I post on this the more I chuckle about Dreger and his claims.. I guess it is making me happy. thanks, caps in 9 smile
capsin9 a aimé ceci.
30 avr. 2019 à 19 h 45
Banni
Rejoint: mars 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,915
I think this is exactly right. But i'm almost enjoying blowing up the logic behind how Mitch holds all the cards and the leafs need to pay him AM money. They don't. And they won't. I'm almost certain that a reasonable deal gets done.

This Marner =12M narrative should start to die down soon, I think. I hope. If not, 4 1sts is a nice compensation package..

I think Marner lost leverage when he wanted to be lost to sign. Now the Leafs can give him a firm number of what they can do and afford and if he doesn't take it then they take the big return and make the team better in other areas. I don't see how he gets anything more than $10M on a 6 year deal now
30 avr. 2019 à 19 h 49
Quoting: jfalstaff

Instead, it's this: Which of the big three RFAs would really be attractive to teams looking to make a big offer sheet push? It's just Matthews and Marner. Matthews is signed. If Marner's offered something crazy -- but apparently something he's looking for, so perhaps he'd sign -- then the question isn't really if he "deserves" the contract but if the team could find a use for the 4 firsts and $11m in cap space such that they exceed the value of an $11m Marner. Ryminister had it exactly right imo: 4 firsts (which can get you depth, be traded for upgrades) + an $8m winger + a good defenseman is > Marner.

Oh, man.. I coulda used that succinct paragraph when I was trying to convince LoganOllivier of the same thing over the course of 2 days!? and seemingly got nowhere with my reasoning. You just perfectly laid out why marner doesn't hold all the cards and why the leafs do have leverage in this contract negotiation.. which is probably why a reasonable deal gets signed without alot of headache
30 avr. 2019 à 19 h 49
Banni
Yeah, I think the value of having 7 first round picks over the next four years is really the currency they represent. Dubas could start throwing 1sts out to teams looking to rebuild in trades to address weaknesses, without needing to abandon their own drafting and developing model.

Anyways, I don't think it happens at all. I think Mitch comes in on a deal that works for both sides, probable a bridge. But I won't be happy until this Mitch = 12M and the leafs need to pay him that nonsense goes away.. actually, they more I post on this the more I chuckle about Dreger and his claims.. I guess it is making me happy. thanks, caps in 9 smile

Hey man I was there a few years ago.
I had:
Carlson at 7m
Oshie at 5m
Wilson at 3.5m
Kuzy at 6.5m

Unfortunately the leafs getting 4 1st picks creates the same issue haha. Only reason you guys are In this situation is bc you drafted so well and developed the players quickly ha
30 avr. 2019 à 19 h 51
I think Marner lost leverage when he wanted to be lost to sign. Now the Leafs can give him a firm number of what they can do and afford and if he doesn't take it then they take the big return and make the team better in other areas. I don't see how he gets anything more than $10M on a 6 year deal now

I think that's pretty solid, Rye. I think he might get more on a longer term deal as a sign of good faith, but yeah, this Marner = 12M threat is losing some steam.
30 avr. 2019 à 19 h 53
Banni
Quoting: jfalstaff

Marner for what Duchene or skinner let’s say they make 9 million each not much room for a dman? And how you getting a dman you still need to sign rfa. You save 2 million and have downgrade massively. Skinner is in the same conversation as marner. 4 late to mid round 1st take about 2-3 years to develop? So if you can’t get out of the 1st round now going this route isn’t any better imo but again if you feel good about this then I’m happy for you.
30 avr. 2019 à 19 h 54
Hey man I was there a few years ago.
I had:
Carlson at 7m
Oshie at 5m
Wilson at 3.5m
Kuzy at 6.5m

Unfortunately the leafs getting 4 1st picks creates the same issue haha. Only reason you guys are In this situation is bc you drafted so well and developed the players quickly ha

That;s a good point.. the one on the nature of the current problem. Which isn't really a problem at all.. it's a good thing!
30 avr. 2019 à 19 h 55
Banni

Matthews, Tavares and Nylander aren't really overpaid. So nothing else you say makes sense after that. The reason why people think they are is because they didn't follow the trend of signing the full 8 year deals. That's stupid. Leafs went against that and lowered the terms to lower the cap hit to help their cap situation. They'll do the same with Marner. It's smart actually. People just don't tale well to going against trends for some reason
30 avr. 2019 à 19 h 59
Banni
Matthews, Tavares and Nylander aren't really overpaid. So nothing else you say makes sense after that. The reason why people think they are is because they didn't follow the trend of signing the full 8 year deals. That's stupid. Leafs went against that and lowered the terms to lower the cap hit to help their cap situation. They'll do the same with Marner. It's smart actually. People just don't tale well to going against trends for some reason

Hahaha nylander is overpaid AF! Matthews is the 2nd highest paid player in the nhl? And Tavares is the 3rd highest paid player in the nhl. Neither of these two are top 5 centers in the nhl. That’s overpaying. Nylander isn’t overpaid haha dude come on I can’t take you seriously I’m done. Agree to disagree
30 avr. 2019 à 20 h 3
Banni
I think that's pretty solid, Rye. I think he might get more on a longer term deal as a sign of good faith, but yeah, this Marner = 12M threat is losing some steam.

Can't see the full 8 years being done and 7 isn't far off the 8 years. Then you can justify $11M for him because it's longer and buys out more UFA years. Dubas set the trend with Matthews and Nylander that he's gonna lower the years so he can lower the cap hit to make the cap work, he'll most likely do it with Marner too. People seem to forget that both Leafs assistant GM's in Brandon Pridham and Laurence Gilman both literally helped write the entire CBA, they're not stupid. They'll find a way to make it work
30 avr. 2019 à 20 h 4
Banni
That;s a good point.. the one on the nature of the current problem. Which isn't really a problem at all.. it's a good thing!

Long story short I would offer marner a 10mx 8yr deal both sides would be happy imo. Leafs have done well getting real for the bottom 6 guys and late 1st round picks don’t help you replace a 90 point guy. That’s just my opinion on it. Caps draft late 1st round last 4 picks

Luca jo (not nhl ready)
Samsonov (needs 1 more year in an)
Alexeyev (not nhl ready)
Vrana.....but that was 2014 (took 5 years to become a solid nhler) that’s when mattthews contract is up. Hypothetically speaking of course
30 avr. 2019 à 20 h 5
Banni
Hahaha nylander is overpaid AF! Matthews is the 2nd highest paid player in the nhl? And Tavares is the 3rd highest paid player in the nhl. Neither of these two are top 5 centers in the nhl. That’s overpaying. Nylander isn’t overpaid haha dude come on I can’t take you seriously I’m done. Agree to disagree

LOL guess you don't know how contracts work then.
30 avr. 2019 à 20 h 9
Banni
LOL guess you don't know how contracts work then.

No I understand but I’m not going lie to myself. They overpaid Matthews and nylander bc they had no choice. The worse part is that they got nothing in term either. The only way 11m makes sense is if you get max term they didn’t.

Example. Look at Bäckström deal. At the time it was on the high end but over time it’s easily one of the best contracts in the nhl. Term is huge when overpaying.
30 avr. 2019 à 20 h 18
Banni
No I understand but I’m not going lie to myself. They overpaid Matthews and nylander bc they had no choice. The worse part is that they got nothing in term either. The only way 11m makes sense is if you get max term they didn’t

Not really. They got Nylander right at the value that pretty much everyone said he was gonna get, Pastrnak was the main comparable and they got him around that. But to make the player happy they made it so that he was virtually untradeable in the first year by waiting to sign it so it raised the cap hit in year 1 and lowered it in the rest of the years to help the team.. that's pretty smart. Matthews definitely isn't overpaid. It was either what he got for 5 years or $13.8M for 8 years. So to help the cap now, they went with the lower term deal. When you think that he's going to have the type of impact on Toronto that McDavid has on Edmonton it's not an overpayment. It's more of a deal that's paying for his potential, could turn into a steal of a deal. & Tavares? Really? $11M as the best free agent to come along in over a decade isn't a bad deal. He almost scores 50 goals this year. & he turned down a $13M offer from San Jose. That's not an overpayment at all. When you realize how much the cap is going to go up every year and especially with Seattle coming in it'll get a big jump, those contracts are gonna look great in about 2 years. They're not an overpayment at all.
30 avr. 2019 à 20 h 22
Long story short I would offer marner a 10mx 8yr deal both sides would be happy imo. Leafs have done well getting real for the bottom 6 guys and late 1st round picks don’t help you replace a 90 point guy. That’s just my opinion on it. Caps draft late 1st round last 4 picks

Luca jo (not nhl ready)
Samsonov (needs 1 more year in an)
Alexeyev (not nhl ready)
Vrana.....but that was 2014 (took 5 years to become a solid nhler) that’s when mattthews contract is up. Hypothetically speaking of course

oh, I agree with this. I don't think the leafs would be counting on replacing Marner with one of those 1sts turning up roses (although it does happen).

They'd be more likely to package some of those 1sts in trades to address weaknesses and then look to the ufa market to offset the loss of Marner's scoring (even if that didn't happen for another year). But the cherry on top is that they could use some firsts for trades while still holding their own firsts in place so their drafting doesn't take a hit. And then realistically they should have an on-going stream of elcs from their drafting and developing that helps to make the cap work moving forward.
capsin9 a aimé ceci.
30 avr. 2019 à 20 h 54
Banni
Caps in 9. Capitals fan... seemed obvious ha.

Love leaf fans though. Can’t make it out of the first round but you’ll let your best player walk bc you overpaid 2 other players haha I love it

Funny how Caps fans have their team win 1 cup but forget that it took their team 13 years to even make it outta the second round but feel like that gives them reason to be able to chirp everyone else wink
30 avr. 2019 à 21 h 21
Banni
Not really. They got Nylander right at the value that pretty much everyone said he was gonna get, Pastrnak was the main comparable and they got him around that. But to make the player happy they made it so that he was virtually untradeable in the first year by waiting to sign it so it raised the cap hit in year 1 and lowered it in the rest of the years to help the team.. that's pretty smart. Matthews definitely isn't overpaid. It was either what he got for 5 years or $13.8M for 8 years. So to help the cap now, they went with the lower term deal. When you think that he's going to have the type of impact on Toronto that McDavid has on Edmonton it's not an overpayment. It's more of a deal that's paying for his potential, could turn into a steal of a deal. & Tavares? Really? $11M as the best free agent to come along in over a decade isn't a bad deal. He almost scores 50 goals this year. & he turned down a $13M offer from San Jose. That's not an overpayment at all. When you realize how much the cap is going to go up every year and especially with Seattle coming in it'll get a big jump, those contracts are gonna look great in about 2 years. They're not an overpayment at all.

13.8 m was Matthews long term number. Jesus that’s crazy
30 avr. 2019 à 21 h 26
Banni
Funny how Caps fans have their team win 1 cup but forget that it took their team 13 years to even make it outta the second round but feel like that gives them reason to be able to chirp everyone else wink

Ha yeah they lost to teams like the penguins who had 2 generational players on it.... not the bruins... and you guys are in what year 3... haven’t made it out of the 1st round and are already having issues signing one of you 3 best players... smile
1 mai 2019 à 0 h 6
Banni
Ha yeah they lost to teams like the penguins who had 2 generational players on it.... not the bruins... and you guys are in what year 3... haven’t made it out of the 1st round and are already having issues signing one of you 3 best players... smile

... Caps just lost to Carolina. 0 "generational players" and league average goaltending at best. Looks like Caps are back to their old ways wink
1 mai 2019 à 0 h 31
Banni
... Caps just lost to Carolina. 0 "generational players" and league average goaltending at best. Looks like Caps are back to their old ways wink

Haha you’re so salty it’s sad.
1 mai 2019 à 10 h 47
Banni
Haha you’re so salty it’s sad.

nah, just funny how one cup win makes Caps fans think they're the best franchise is all of sports. Then the next season they go right back to losing in the first round which was the exact thing you were chirping about. & Toronto lost to a much better team than Carolina wink

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage