SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Site Discussion

Non-graphical salary cap by day

4 févr. 2016 à 19 h 27
Human
Rejoint: juin 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 4
Hello,

I posted this via twitter, but thought the forum would be a better place: Are there any plans to more accurately track a teams salary and available cap space by using cap tracking on a daily basis?

I have a perfect example to illustrate:

Eariler this morning, the Pittsburgh Penguins showed at about -22K in cap space available. I don't believe this number to be correct, but for argument's sake, let's say it is. Later this afternoon, Evgeni Malkin was ruled out for the next two games, as well as Eric Fehr, and the Penguins recalled forward Oscar Sundqvist from the minors. You show his cap hit as 700,833. While technically, that is hit cap hit, that is his cap hit for a full season. This was Sundqvist's first callup to the NHL this season, or ever. It is impossible for him to truly account for $700,833 in cap space.

There are 186 days in an NHL season. Calculating salaries in the background on a daily basis allows you to portray a more accurate cap space amount. On a daily basis, Sundqvist cap hit amounts to $3763 per day. There are only 66 days left in the season, so if he stayed on the roster the rest of the regular season, the maximum amount of cap space he could use up would be $248,683.

This is one area CapGeek had down to a science which nobody else has perfected to date. NHLNumbers.com currently has the best attempt at this. I really like the upgrades that have happened after the merger here, and I do believe your site is the most comprehensive over all the others. Adding the daily cap hit calculations in a table format, for me, is the last major piece your site needs. And.....if you can strong-arm the NHL to force teams to publicly state players on IR versus LTIR, that would be great too. grin

Keep up the great work!
4 févr. 2016 à 22 h 58
Follow capfriendly
Rejoint: déc. 1336
Mentions "j'aime": 1,918
Modifié 4 févr. 2016 à 23 h 13
Quoting: RandomGuy1
Hello,

I posted this via twitter, but thought the forum would be a better place: Are there any plans to more accurately track a teams salary and available cap space by using cap tracking on a daily basis?

I have a perfect example to illustrate:

Eariler this morning, the Pittsburgh Penguins showed at about -22K in cap space available. I don't believe this number to be correct, but for argument's sake, let's say it is. Later this afternoon, Evgeni Malkin was ruled out for the next two games, as well as Eric Fehr, and the Penguins recalled forward Oscar Sundqvist from the minors. You show his cap hit as 700,833. While technically, that is hit cap hit, that is his cap hit for a full season. This was Sundqvist's first callup to the NHL this season, or ever. It is impossible for him to truly account for $700,833 in cap space.

There are 186 days in an NHL season. Calculating salaries in the background on a daily basis allows you to portray a more accurate cap space amount. On a daily basis, Sundqvist cap hit amounts to $3763 per day. There are only 66 days left in the season, so if he stayed on the roster the rest of the regular season, the maximum amount of cap space he could use up would be $248,683.

This is one area CapGeek had down to a science which nobody else has perfected to date. NHLNumbers.com currently has the best attempt at this. I really like the upgrades that have happened after the merger here, and I do believe your site is the most comprehensive over all the others. Adding the daily cap hit calculations in a table format, for me, is the last major piece your site needs. And.....if you can strong-arm the NHL to force teams to publicly state players on IR versus LTIR, that would be great too. grin

Keep up the great work!

Hi RandomGuy1,

On the home page, projected cap space and projected cap hit are both values determined from cap tracking on a daily basis and projected to seasons end based on their current roster and the players daily cap hit value (not their full cap value)
Each team has a daily cap tracker that shows visually how the cap values were determined (as per your request a non-graphical tabular method of displaying the tracked cap values is on the to-do list smile )
Team pages also display the projected cap hit and projected cap space, values are determined from each players daily value (not their full cap hit).
Team pages also show available deadline and current cap space, this is the total caphit sum that can be added to the teams current caphit and remain cap compliant for seasons end based on the players daily cap hit value.

Quote: Eariler this morning, the Pittsburgh Penguins showed at about -22K in cap space available. I don't believe this number to be correct, but for argument's sake, let's say it is. Later this afternoon, Evgeni Malkin was ruled out for the next two games, as well as Eric Fehr, and the Penguins recalled forward Oscar Sundqvist from the minors. You show his cap hit as 700,833. While technically, that is hit cap hit, that is his cap hit for a full season. This was Sundqvist's first callup to the NHL this season, or ever. It is impossible for him to truly account for $700,833 in cap space.

Pittsburgh is an interesting case, because they are only cap compliant based on LTIR relief. However, you will notice the projected cap hit, and project cap space (which is a negative since they are above the cap ceiling due to LTIR relief), did not change by $700k, it changed by $244k from his placement, which is the total amount he can count against the cap if he remains on the active roster until seasons end, this value is also shown on his player page (remaining cap hit) as shown in the following figure:

Screen_Shot_2016_02_04_at_10_51_06_PM.jp

The other value, accumulated cap hit, is the cap hit he has had against the team since the beginning of the season, as you can see it is only $7k, not $700k

So in other words, what you are asking us to do, we already are! smile

I hope that makes the numbers more clear!
5 févr. 2016 à 0 h 52
Démarrer sujet
Human
Rejoint: juin 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 4
Thanks for the clarification. I see the items that you pointed out, which I missed earlier. I'd still love to see a non graphical summary (on that same Daily Cap bar graph page) that shows days on NHL roster, or maybe even on the individual player page itself. You have the accumulated daily cap hit there, but adding days on NHL roster and/or daily cap charge (yearly salary divided by 182) might be helpful too.

Where I was specifically looking at was, viewing Pittsburgh Penguins specifically, the Statistics in the middle of the page had Estimated Daily Cap space at -22,000 this morning, before the callup, and now shows -722,000 after the Sundqvist callup. That is the section that throws me off.

So, now that you have pointed out that you do have most of the feature I am looking for, you guys can just relax and go on vacation the rest of the year. wink
5 févr. 2016 à 10 h 13
Follow capfriendly
Quoting: RandomGuy1

Where I was specifically looking at was, viewing Pittsburgh Penguins specifically, the Statistics in the middle of the page had Estimated Daily Cap space at -22,000 this morning, before the callup, and now shows -722,000 after the Sundqvist callup. That is the section that throws me off.

Ah, I can see why that would be confusing, I will have to change that value to be more clear
Quote:
So, now that you have pointed out that you do have most of the feature I am looking for, you guys can just relax and go on vacation the rest of the year. wink

Vacation to some place hot would be nice Sticking Out Tongue
5 févr. 2016 à 10 h 22
Follow capfriendly
The stats were actually supposed to be updated with the merge, and the file did not merge properly, it has now been fixed, the numbers should make much more sense now smile

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage