SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/GM Game 2017-18

2017-18 GM Game - General Discussion Thread

3 avr. 2018 à 17 h 50
Tyler Paluzzi
Rejoint: janv. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 129
Quoting: NateElder12
And penguins. Flyers fans would appreciate it if you guys took Pittsburgh in the first round

I’ll make sure the Devs spank the Rags and get the honors to beat the Pitty team we have gone 3-0-1 against.... SuperHall out
*not all heroes wear capes
3 avr. 2018 à 18 h 28
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 6,716
Come on peeps! Who wants Bonino and Rieder?? i'll take back virtually all your cap dumps if I get a decent pick!! Sticking Out Tongue
3 avr. 2018 à 18 h 36
get ur corsi up
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,558
Quoting: F50marco
Come on peeps! Who wants Bonino and Rieder?? i'll take back virtually all your cap dumps if I get a decent pick!! Sticking Out Tongue

I feel your pain on trying to trade depth. Nobody seems to want Letestu of Raffl from me. Seems like the handful of teams that are actually buyers are nearly out of picks, haha.
rangersandislesfan a aimé ceci.
3 avr. 2018 à 18 h 41
Black Lives Matter
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,651
Quoting: Daryl
I feel your pain on trying to trade depth. Nobody seems to want Letestu of Raffl from me. Seems like the handful of teams that are actually buyers are nearly out of picks, haha.

Yeah, almost nobody wants depth. Most reams are looking to add major pieces instead.
Daryl a aimé ceci.
3 avr. 2018 à 18 h 44
SEA GM v5
Rejoint: sept. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 878

Nobody seems to want Cizikas or Sobotka from me, both are very decent players.
3 avr. 2018 à 18 h 50
get ur corsi up
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Yeah, almost nobody wants depth. Most reams are looking to add major pieces instead.

Quoting: TabooPenguo

The gm game trade market is weird, lol. Sticking Out Tongue
3 avr. 2018 à 19 h 28
Black Lives Matter

Nobody seems to want Claesson, Oduya, Mitchell, etc from the Sens. I think there are too many sellers (just my opinion). Now, yes, this is coming from a selling team's GM, however that's because of how bad the Sens are. They're bad in real life with a similar roster, and the GM Game Senators are near the bottom of the league (7th last or something like that). But a lot of playoff teams seem to be one or more of a) selling, b) not wanting depth players, and c) not wanting rentals.

Another thing i've noticed is that, like real life, high asking prices on a lot of players. Pretty much every team (including the Sens) are asking for prices that most teams won't want to pay. Every GM will do that with some of their players, however a lot of teams don't want to give up what that team wants.

Another thing though is that a lot of teams seem to value picks higher than players/prospects. It depends if you're rebuilding, trying to win now, or what you're trying to do. This trade deadline, as much as this seems crazy to say in the GM Game, which is usually full of trading, this could be a quiet trade deadline. Not that we won't see a lot of dealing, because it's trade deadline time of year, but it may not be as busy as some deadlines have been in the NHL.

I'm not saying there's a right or wrong here. I'm not saying teams should or shouldn't want depth, or rentals, or whatever, but whether it's right or not, a lot of teams want to keep their picks, and there are way more sellers than buyers.
3 avr. 2018 à 20 h 31
CFGM Game Moderator
Mentions "j'aime": 1,498
They're bad in real life with a similar roster,

Similar is an understatement. I swear there's only 3 guys on your GM team who are either NOT current sens or have played there this year. (maybe 4, I'd have to look)
Plus it doesn't seem to matter who anyone ever offers you, the answer is always "no" or maybe in the summer.
One of the fun, exciting aspects of the game for me is being able to trade for ANYONE you want to build a team with.
Just saying from what I've seen in my time is you're looking to mirror the real life Sens. Not saying that's wrong, just going by what I've seen.

If nothing else, I gotta give you credit for standing your ground and being true to yourself through all of this. that takes a strong will. applaud

I do agree with most of the stuff you presented though. I think the reason picks are valued so highly is because this is considered a really good draft year, so teams want to take advantage of that.

On the flip side, I've been overly active since joining here. Can't be afraid to make those big, bold trades.
I've built my team up, broke it down, rebuilt on the fly and lord knows if I'm done yet.
Some work out, some don't. And when they don't you dust yourself off and try again.

You should've taken Bieksa when you had the chance laughlaughSticking Out TongueSticking Out Tonguecheers
3 avr. 2018 à 23 h 9
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: flamesfan419
Similar is an understatement. I swear there's only 3 guys on your GM team who are either NOT current sens or have played there this year. (maybe 4, I'd have to look)
Plus it doesn't seem to matter who anyone ever offers you, the answer is always "no" or maybe in the summer.
One of the fun, exciting aspects of the game for me is being able to trade for ANYONE you want to build a team with.
Just saying from what I've seen in my time is you're looking to mirror the real life Sens. Not saying that's wrong, just going by what I've seen.

If nothing else, I gotta give you credit for standing your ground and being true to yourself through all of this. that takes a strong will. applaud

I do agree with most of the stuff you presented though. I think the reason picks are valued so highly is because this is considered a really good draft year, so teams want to take advantage of that.

On the flip side, I've been overly active since joining here. Can't be afraid to make those big, bold trades.
I've built my team up, broke it down, rebuilt on the fly and lord knows if I'm done yet.
Some work out, some don't. And when they don't you dust yourself off and try again.

You should've taken Bieksa when you had the chance laughlaughSticking Out TongueSticking Out Tonguecheers

Well it's not the same roster. I didn't trade Brassard or Duchene, and i traded for Brodie. About making deals, i thought i was gonna be making at least a few more moves before the deadline, and i might, but now idk if i will or not. Like i said, there are more sellers than buyers, and not a lot of teams are looking to add depth rentals for picks. Not that i want to keep the Sens exactly like they are, just that right now, for some reason, there are high asking prices and low offers. Every team is asking for a lot for their players, and every team is making smaller offers. This includes the Sens, yes.
flamesfan419 a aimé ceci.
3 avr. 2018 à 23 h 22

Im not surprised to be honest. There is no benefit to depth in the GM game..... There's nothing that can happen that would benefit a team wanting to stock up on depth players before the playoffs. Sucks but it is what it is I guess.
3 avr. 2018 à 23 h 24
Mentions "j'aime": 2,820
Im not surprised to be honest. There is no benefit to depth in the GM game..... There's nothing that can happen that would benefit a team wanting to stock up on depth players before the playoffs. Sucks but it is what it is I guess.

Look at the recent trades for example. It's mostly big fish (Panarin, Arvidsson, O'Reilly) being moved rather than the minnows.
3 avr. 2018 à 23 h 26
Quoting: BoltsPoint21
Look at the recent trades for example. It's mostly big fish (Panarin, Arvidsson, O'Reilly) being moved rather than the minnows.

Yup. Its too bad but its an aspect of the GM game that is really hard to simulate unfortunately.
3 avr. 2018 à 23 h 28
Black Lives Matter

What surprises me though is that even some non-depth guys like Brassard for example, there isn't much interest in him. I think it's cause i'm asking for a 1st+, which, if i'm correct, teams seem to think is fair value, but they don't want to give up their 1sts, which does make sense, but if a team needs a 2/3C for the playoffs, they won't give up 1sts for one.

So just so everybody knows, if you offer a 1st and a few decent prospects for Brassard, we'd probably do it.

Edit: A 2018 1st it would need to be.
3 avr. 2018 à 23 h 30
Black Lives Matter
Yup. Its too bad but its an aspect of the GM game that is really hard to simulate unfortunately.

When i say 'depth' i mean depth in the lineup. I don't mean 13th forwards and 7th defensemen. I mean 4th liners and 3rd pairing d-men. If the Sens were a playoff team, i'd be giving up picks for rentals, but the Sens aren't a playoff team, so instead i'm trying to sell my rentals.
3 avr. 2018 à 23 h 33
Mentions "j'aime": 2,820
What surprises me though is that even some non-depth guys like Brassard for example, there isn't much interest in him. I think it's cause i'm asking for a 1st+, which, if i'm correct, teams seem to think is fair value, but they don't want to give up their 1sts, which does make sense, but if a team needs a 2/3C for the playoffs, they won't give up 1sts for one.

So just so everybody knows, if you offer a 1st and a few decent prospects for Brassard, we'd probably do it.

Edit: A 2018 1st it would need to be.

The thing is, teams want young top 6 guys are players with term. Older players like Brassard will have to either cost less, or be sold to someone that's desperate for a C which is no one due to their being 4-5 teams being on a much higher level. Because of this people aren't willing to give up a 1st round pick for Brassard when they can give up double that value for someone that will be under team control for an extended period of time.
NateElder12 a aimé ceci.
4 avr. 2018 à 15 h 16
get ur corsi up
Edmonton Oilers

The following players are available:

Mark Letestu
Andrew Shaw
Michael Raffl
Miika Salomaki
Connor Brickley
Jamie Oleksiak
Matt Benning
4 avr. 2018 à 16 h 47
Go Habs Go
Mentions "j'aime": 4,091

We didn't do playoff roster expansion either. 15th forwards and 8/9th D men have to clear waivers.

Buyers market atm. I'm looking at LW rentals, but I'm not offering a lot for one, and I'm being picky about who I will take. I don't need to pick someone up, but if the right player comes along for a cheap enough price, I wouldn't mind one more trade.
4 avr. 2018 à 16 h 55
Black Lives Matter
@Math @matt59 @F50marco @flamesfan419 @mhockey91 @KSIxSKULLS @HallforHart @Ethereal @TonyStrecher @Bennett93 @Icegirl @JT_Miller @TrueNorth @Daryl @ricochetii @GronkNation @jeplaza14 @Rodzikhockey93 @l9guysports @TabooPenguo @NateElder12 @McJesus_ @plNHL @FryesLeapMaine @Mr_cap @krakowitz @jmac490 @A_K @Turner33 @BoltsPoint21

With the deadline in 4 days, i'm gonna say one final time to all GMs at once that if you want Frederik Claesson for a 4th in any year you can have him. If you don't want to give up a 4th for him straight up, either ignore this post or come to the Senators page and suggest a deal involving other pieces from both sides. If you're interested in Claesson though you can come to the Senators page. This is the last time before the deadline that i will let teams know about Claesson being available. Just seeing if there's even 1 of all 31 GMs who wants him.
4 avr. 2018 à 17 h 6
Emotionally in 2018
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 3,387
@Math @matt59 @F50marco @flamesfan419 @mhockey91 @KSIxSKULLS @HallforHart @Ethereal @TonyStrecher @Bennett93 @Icegirl @JT_Miller @TrueNorth @Daryl @ricochetii @GronkNation @jeplaza14 @Rodzikhockey93 @l9guysports @TabooPenguo @NateElder12 @McJesus_ @plNHL @FryesLeapMaine @Mr_cap @krakowitz @jmac490 @A_K @Turner33 @BoltsPoint21

With the deadline in 4 days, i'm gonna say one final time to all GMs at once that if you want Frederik Claesson for a 4th in any year you can have him. If you don't want to give up a 4th for him straight up, either ignore this post or come to the Senators page and suggest a deal involving other pieces from both sides. If you're interested in Claesson though you can come to the Senators page. This is the last time before the deadline that i will let teams know about Claesson being available. Just seeing if there's even 1 of all 31 GMs who wants him.

You're one of the 31...you want him for a fourth?
ItzMeTaboo, l9guysports et LicMysak a aimé ceci.
4 avr. 2018 à 17 h 19
NateElder12
Rejoint: avr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 801

the problem is if sellers have essentially the same price for depth guys as top tier guys why not just pay the extra for an actually solid impact player? That's the way I look at it. Plus, depth guys in this game don't translate into a rankings increase in this game based off of what i've seen in the voting/ranking process - which might change idk. A team that adds those guys will get dinged if they trade for a depth guy just because the value placed on the pick and prospect they trade away will make it looked like they got "fleeced".
LicMysak a aimé ceci.
4 avr. 2018 à 17 h 39
Flyers! / LAK GM V2
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 72

the problem is if sellers have essentially the same price for depth guys as top tier guys why not just pay the extra for an actually solid impact player? That's the way I look at it. Plus, depth guys in this game don't translate into a rankings increase in this game based off of what i've seen in the voting/ranking process - which might change idk. A team that adds those guys will get dinged if they trade for a depth guy just because the value placed on the pick and prospect they trade away will make it looked like they got "fleeced".

I don't think it helps that it's a top team only winner. It's not like we're trying to get into the playoffs and try to make a run. If you're not one of the top 3-4 teams, adding depth players doesn't make a whole lot of sense, if you ask me.

Like me, I could use some depth players because I'm technically a "fringe playoff team", but it makes no sense for me to do it since i have basically no shot at winning the "Game"
Daryl a aimé ceci.
4 avr. 2018 à 17 h 40
Black Lives Matter

Well, it depends on who a team has. If they have a lot of depth and not a lot of top players, they'd be going for top players ... if it's the other way around going for depth makes sense IMO.
4 avr. 2018 à 17 h 42
get ur corsi up
Quoting: jeplaza14
I don't think it helps that it's a top team only winner. It's not like we're trying to get into the playoffs and try to make a run. If you're not one of the top 3-4 teams, adding depth players doesn't make a whole lot of sense, if you ask me.

Like me, I could use some depth players because I'm technically a "fringe playoff team", but it makes no sense for me to do it since i have basically no shot at winning the "Game"

That's me right now as well. If I was a real life team I'd be adding players but in this game I don't see the point of getting in as a wild card and then having no picks and prospects for the future. Seems like only 5-6 teams are seriously adding players.
jeplaza14 a aimé ceci.
4 avr. 2018 à 17 h 57
Flyers! / LAK GM V2
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 72
That's me right now as well. If I was a real life team I'd be adding players but in this game I don't see the point of getting in as a wild card and then having no picks and prospects for the future. Seems like only 5-6 teams are seriously adding players.

That's probably the only thing that I don't like about this game. The only reason to be a buyer at this point is if you're one of the top 5 teams like TB, PHI, STL, WPG, etc...

Kind of kills the vibe of an active trade deadline
4 avr. 2018 à 18 h 5

Yup, exactly. Its an unfortunate but unavoidable aspect of the game. We can't simulate an entire league and season perfectly.

Guys like Marc Methot and Karl Alzner, although have a little value in the real NHL, have negative value in the GM game. 4th line puds who block shots and win you games in the playoffs are valuable in the real NHL but in this game are all being traded away for virtually nothing.

Quoting: jeplaza14

Tell that to Ottawa last year who was 1 win away from playing for the cup and not being close to a top team or even Nashville who finished what 8th? The top teams usually win but then again Washington should have 10 cups by now.
NateElder12 a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage