SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/The Box

DikuMUD/C++

7 juill. 2017 à 0 h 53
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 60
I realize this is a shot in the dark, wondering if anybody knows or is into DIKU MUDs which are written in C++ for the basic language... I have MUD code from around 2K then the same MUD code from around 2006ish... My forte is making zones, so mostly know about files like wld, mob, obj, zon, qst, not so much C or H files smile. I'm pretty sure it runs on Linyx or however spell it, though not sure how things work regarding how to make the admin or main god account. I'm pretty sure its in the code or something where can just put it in to create it, not really sure how it works to setup the MUD either. So would be cool if somebody on here knew about that stuff though pretty sure most who read this will be clueless wink.

I started on MUDs back when Sojourn was new which eventually split into Toril and Duris. I remember some from there left to work on or start Everquest which denies its basically just a rip off from that MUD retracting that its spawned from DIKU. Not to be confused with Circle or some other related DIKU type codes. I've been god or admin on many of them over the years like Duris, Greyhawk, Arcadia, others I can't even remember smile. So over the decades I'd write up things for classes, races, spells, skills, along with the zones that was doing which were pretty popular on any that know of them being on. I even found somebody had done a web site "escape from Smokeveil" related to one of them showing him getting attacked in there which was really cool to see wink. That somebody would bother to throw some game log on a web site they felt so strongly about the experience wink.

IF can offer some insight/advice that would be really cool smile. Trying to get a better understanding for how everything works, I took Pascal in school though that don't help really smile. At best I'd be like a hack coder I think, I did pass the class when teacher gave me a real nasty speech smile. She was like saying how I shouldn't have been allowed to even take the class, I had no chance to pass, since I failed like algebra or something like that wink. That was my first day just to give an idea, I think I ended up getting like a B or some decent grade while others actually failed who she liked smile. Always been fascinated by how things link together to make something work... Like I could fix my programs back then even though I really didn't fully understand everything I could get stuff to work/not crash smile. I had a friend who sometimes would write stuff in pascal that wouldn't work, then would fix it so that it did smile. Doing zones on there often would have to edit or fix the files so they would work even moving a ` or like ~ whatever the character hehe wink.

I doubt many know what a MUD is so for those wondering its basically like a text based RPG usually like a Dungeon/Dragon type thing though some are like TradeWars which was like Star Trek influenced in space smile. Though I don't really consider that one since its basically all scripting which basically are glorified bots wink. I think they use the term MMORGH or something for graphical games MUDs spawned which probably seen commercials for on TV constantly smile. None of this should be confusing with Mudding which seems popular in the south when they like drive vehicles in the mud or whatever literally heh smile. One of my dogs seems to like to get muddy so consider her the country beagle smile.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage