SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Montreal Canadiens signed Cole Caufield (8 Years / $7,850,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

5 juin 2023 à 14 h 23
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 246
I love this type of deal for Montreal. There is risk, but the upside far outweighs the downside in my opinion.

While those pointing out that Caulfield hasn't really played up to this contract as of yet, you are right! He hasn't, but you don't buy what a player has done, you bet on what they will be, and I think with an 8 year term, there are more scenarios where this turns into a great value for the Habs than turns into an albatross, so it's a good bet.

Worst case scenario, Caulfield doesn't improve, and what you get is a empty calorie goal scorer. Think Brock Boeser (so far). That's probably not worth this current AAV, but he has the type of skill that teams may gamble on, and the cap will likely increase enough that this won't be a crazy overpay, just disappointing.

On the upside, Caulfield could be a perrenial 45+ goal scorer, powerplay weapon, and if he improves his overall offensive (and defensive) play to become a more well rounded weapon, this is the type of contract that has you saving millions per year below what you would expect to pay for that player, especially as the cap rises.
Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
5 juin 2023 à 14 h 27
couldnt afford 2nd t
Rejoint: sept. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 431
Quoting: Random2152
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

Dude had a lower PPG than Nylander did over their ELCs, and is MUCH worse defensively.
Y'all are getting turnt over a overvalue contract lmao

You should go by cap hit percentage when comparing two contracts that were signed so far apart. Nylander signed for 8.76 percent, Caufield signed for 9.52 percent. While Caufield did get slightly more than Nylander, once you look at the contract structure it becomes clear that Nylander's contract was more lucrative. Nylander only signed away 1 UFA year, Caufield signed away 3 UFA years. Nylander also got signing bonuses throughout his entire contract, which made it "buyout proof". Lastly, there wasn't enormous escrow when Nylander signed. Nylander got a "buyout proof" contract that almost entirely walked him right to unrestricted free agency in his prime. Caufield signed away the better part of his prime as he will be 30 when this contract expires.

I agree that Nylander was the better player, and is likely better than what Caufield will become. I also agree that the Nylander contract had less risk, since I don't recall him getting hurt like Caufield did. With that said, his contract was more lucrative than Caufield's once you account for everything above. It is also obvious that this isn't an overvalue for Caufield. This contract is a slight variation of what every young star has signed for. Approx 7-8 million over 7-8 years. That's the market right now.

If you want to argue that you don't like the player, don't think he will be a 30-40 goal scorer, or think injuries will stunt his development, that's entirely fair. But I think using Nylander as a comparable is irrelevant to that because Nylander clearly got the better contract.
python3504, Luguber et Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
5 juin 2023 à 14 h 29
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 1,027
Quoting: Caniac2000
I don't care, to be honest. That much money for a dude that wasn't going to hit a point per game.... I get goals are important, but to score goals you need good teammates. It means you're paying this much for a dude that cannot carry his own line.

The way i see it, Caufield-Suzuki-Dach is a good balanced top 6 line for less than 20M total. That's good for MTL.
Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
5 juin 2023 à 14 h 37
Just Keep Swimming
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,572
Quoting: budgeteam

You should go by cap hit percentage when comparing two contracts that were signed so far apart. Nylander signed for 8.76 percent, Caufield signed for 9.52 percent.

Funny, thats exactly what I did - and y'all overpaid lmao. 43 points!! Doesn't know his own goalies name!!!!! SUPERSTAR
5 juin 2023 à 14 h 42
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,024
Quoting: LIRIK
The way i see it, Caufield-Suzuki-Dach is a good balanced top 6 line for less than 20M total. That's good for MTL.

Seems a little steep. Carolina can ice Svechnikov - Aho - Necas for 18 million for example and then role out Teravainen - Kotkaniemi - Jarvis which is an entire top six for not that much more. Combine that with of Dach playing out of position as a natural center, there's a lot of questions. It's a line that's fine going forward, but struggles defensively. It's also a line that has been inconsistent in its production. Committing 25% of the salary cap to it seems... rough
5 juin 2023 à 14 h 55
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,496
Seems a little steep. Carolina can ice Svechnikov - Aho - Necas for 18 million for example and then role out Teravainen - Kotkaniemi - Jarvis which is an entire top six for not that much more. Combine that with of Dach playing out of position as a natural center, there's a lot of questions. It's a line that's fine going forward, but struggles defensively. It's also a line that has been inconsistent in its production. Committing 25% of the salary cap to it seems... rough

how much will that first line be next year? that the price for the next 3 years for the habs, for carolina you are looking at something around 25 million next year if necas has another 70 point season.
Juraj_Cauzuki et Xavier02 a aimé ceci.
5 juin 2023 à 14 h 56
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 51
Ah, the salt from all the Leafs fans... keep it coming.
Juraj_Cauzuki, Xavier02, Blazingbat11 and 2 others a aimé ceci.
5 juin 2023 à 14 h 58
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 134

They can roll that out for 1 more season. Then they will all be making significantly more.
Xavier02 et corson a aimé ceci.
5 juin 2023 à 14 h 59
Mentions "j'aime": 51
This man had 36 points in 46 games. Even if he stays healthy, that's barely a 65 point pace. I have serious concerns with this

Did you not watch the Habs last year at all? They were a train wreck. Those stat totals are amazing for a young player, not to mention most of them are goals.
Xavier02, A_Habs_fan et Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
5 juin 2023 à 15 h 16
Rejoint: juill. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 10
Caufield hasn't quite gotten play worth 7.85M per imo... but he should continue to get better. This can easily become a steal if he continues to develop... not to mention if the cap continues the rise too. It's a bit of a gamble, but one I think worth taking.
5 juin 2023 à 15 h 30
Respect Mike Grier
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,585
Fair deal.

Both parties get good value in relation to the market. If Caufield can improve and become a true star I think MTL will be very happy down the road, with the market price only going up from here
drambui et corson a aimé ceci.
5 juin 2023 à 15 h 52
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,261
I don't care, to be honest. That much money for a dude that wasn't going to hit a point per game.... I get goals are important, but to score goals you need good teammates. It means you're paying this much for a dude that cannot carry his own line.

He was 21 years old and it's his 2nd season in the NHL. We aren't expecting him to be Ovechkin or Gretzky.
5 juin 2023 à 16 h 12
couldnt afford 2nd t
Funny, thats exactly what I did - and y'all overpaid lmao. 43 points!! Doesn't know his own goalies name!!!!! SUPERSTAR

Please don't confuse me for a Canadiens fan. It makes me feel sick.
Random2152 a aimé ceci.
5 juin 2023 à 16 h 50
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 833
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

Dude had a lower PPG than Nylander did over their ELCs, and is MUCH worse defensively.

Yeah these forums are wildly inconsistent.

Will Nylander = 0.73 points per game after 185 games ... signed for 8.7% of the salary cap = "DuBaS gOt BeNt OvEr"
Cole Caufield = 0.68 points per game after 123 games ... signed for 9.5% of the salary cap = "WhAt A fRiGgIn StEeLl"

If Caufield starts the season with a lower SH% he's gonna have a rough year.
5 juin 2023 à 17 h 9
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 134
Quoting: drewjenkins

Will Nylander = 0.73 points per game after 185 games ... signed for 8.7% of the salary cap = "DuBaS gOt BeNt OvEr"
Cole Caufield = 0.68 points per game after 123 games ... signed for 9.5% of the salary cap = "WhAt A fRiGgIn StEeLl"

Remove the time with Ducharme behind the bench (what a disaster), and Caufield has scored 47 goals and 70 points in his last 82 games with MSL behind the bench. Those are the numbers to be focusing on.
5 juin 2023 à 18 h 38
Mentions "j'aime": 94
Can anyone here spell cap dump?? bust-o-rama! lol jk
5 juin 2023 à 19 h 4
Rejoint: févr. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 67

7ocvet.jpg
Juraj_Cauzuki, A_Habs_fan, Joe_La_Garnotte and 5 others a aimé ceci.
5 juin 2023 à 20 h 33
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 1,027

With Aho and Necas due for a raise next summer, it'll be way more than 18 million. MTL really screwed Carolina over with the 5 years on Aho.

Many Leafs fans are wondering today how MTL can sign their player to friendly long term contract while they can't.

Caufield and Suzuki contract will look great in 2-3 seasons when MTL is ready to compete.
Xavier02 et Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
5 juin 2023 à 21 h 47
Habs fan somehow
Rejoint: févr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 80
Modifié 5 juin 2023 à 21 h 58

I mean, come on. You can't compare contracts from a state where the maximum marginal taxe rate is under 30% to contracts awarded by a Canadian team, especially the one located in a province where the marginal taxe rate is 53,31% for every dollar earned above 235K CAD/yr. From MTL perspective, getting a full top line inked for under 20M is just shrewd business.
Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
6 juin 2023 à 7 h 56
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 451
Quoting: athrin
if he stays healthy this is going to be a good deal for MTL, he can score 40-50 goals

he can? I haven't seen him do it yet. what season did he score that many?
6 juin 2023 à 8 h 26
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,333
Quoting: python3504
he can? I haven't seen him do it yet. what season did he score that many?

he was on pace for 46 goals this season, even if he slowed down a bit, he would've reached 40 on a full season
LIRIK a aimé ceci.
6 juin 2023 à 8 h 39
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 451
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
he was on pace for 46 goals this season, even if he slowed down a bit, he would've reached 40 on a full season

but he didnt.
6 juin 2023 à 11 h 27
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: drewjenkins

Nylander only gave up 1 UFA year, Caufield gave up 3 UFA years.

Nylander likely signs for anywhere from 8M to 9.5M.

If Nylander went 8 years with 3 UFA years, his cap hit percentage would have likely been higher than Caufield's cap hit percentage. Players generally get more for giving up more UFA years vs RFA years because there is an expectation that the player can make more money as a UFA relative to their stature than they can as an RFA.

I have nothing against someone making a hockey based argument for why this contract is ill-advised. I don't think the Nylander comparison makes any sense when you actually dive into his contract and see that they are both very different contracts. The contracts people should be looking at are the numerous ones signed over the last 2 or so seasons for these stars coming off their ELCs. There are probably a dozen of them by now. They are all almost all in the 7.XXM-8.XXM 7-8 year range. There is a very established market right now.
drambui et Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
6 juin 2023 à 11 h 36
couldnt afford 2nd t
The Josh Norris contract is the closest recent comparable in terms of trajectory, production, age, etc.

I would argue that Norris was the more valuable player at the time he signed, although it's a toss up. Also, he may not be more valuable now since he missed an entire season and there will be question marks surrounding his play. Norris gave up more UFA years (4 vs 3). Norris plays a more important position. He also is not undersized (although he isn't a big player).

The situations were very similar, in that Norris missed time due to injury in the season before he signed. Both put up huge goal paces, but didn't prove it over multiple seasons. Both were similar ages at the time they signed (Caufield will be 23 in January, Norris was 23). The only difference being, Norris did not burn the additional UFA year. Both played almost the exact same amount of games, with a very similar goal pace (34 per 82 for Norris, 35 per 82 for Caufield).

Caufield got the better contract due to it being front loaded and buying up 1 less UFA year, but the AAVs are almost exactly the same.
drambui et Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
6 juin 2023 à 14 h 41
I Love J Boqvist
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 3,079
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Great deal, ever since MSL took over, Caufield has been amazing, if my math is correct, Caufield was on a 46 goal pace this season, assuming he can keep that up, we've just locked up our elite winger for the next 8 years

Tbf that 46 goal pace came off of just a 28 xGoal pace. Only Jared Mcann and Connor McDavid shot higher above expectation. Cole is a damn good shooter but that's likely not a sustainable way to produce

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage