SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 Draft Targets

30 mai 2023 à 20 h 24
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 5,863
I feel bad flooding the Leafs Prospect Updates forum with guys I'd like to see drafted (considering they arent Leafs prospects), so I decided to start this forum to catalogue some of my favourite prospects. Here are some of my favourite prospects in order:

1. Dmitri Simashev
2. Gavin Brindley
3. Danil But
4. Anton Wahlberg
5. Oskar Fisker Molgaard

Simashev would be so perfect... Please fall to 28
MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
30 mai 2023 à 20 h 35
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Modifié 5 juin 2023 à 13 h 13
Quoting: Nathaniel
I feel bad flooding the Leafs Prospect Updates forum with guys I'd like to see drafted (considering they arent Leafs prospects), so I decided to start this forum to catalogue some of my favourite prospects. Here are some of my favourite prospects in order:

1. Dmitri Simashev
2. Gavin Brindley
3. Danil But
4. Anton Wahlberg
5. Oskar Fisker Molgaard

Some other names to consider:

Jayden Perron
Gracyn Sawchyn
Jeremy Hanzel
Otto Stenberg (would be higher, but he seems unlikely hes available at 28)
Kevin Bicker
Cooper Conway
Hunter Anderson

EDITED:

More guys to keep an eye on:

- Roman Kantserov
- Timur Mukhanov
30 mai 2023 à 20 h 37
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,724

1. Dmitri Simashev
2. Gavin Brindley
3. Danil But
4. Anton Wahlberg
5. Oskar Fisker Molgaard

Simashev is the guy I want if they draft 28th

If they do the 13 spot down get rid of Murray thing guys like

Theo Lindstein, Molgaard, Cameron Allen, and others are worth having a look

Been watching Lindstein and hes a very intriguing guy to potentially pursue

As his strengths are his shot, positioning away from the puck, Smooth skating, his one issue is sometimes he over thinks things.
30 mai 2023 à 20 h 41
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Modifié 7 juin 2023 à 11 h 23
Some other names to consider:

Jayden Perron
Gracyn Sawchyn
Jeremy Hanzel
Otto Stenberg (would be higher, but he seems unlikely hes available at 28)
Kevin Bicker
Cooper Conway
Hunter Anderson

Finally, some of my favourite drop candidates (or what I like to call, "Brad Lambert treatment" candidates):

Andrew Cristall
Eduard Sale

EDITED

Also keep an eye on Tom Willander and Kasper Halttunen
5 juin 2023 à 13 h 11
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever

Seems unlikely that Cristall falls to 28, but I can see him definitely being a guy that falls. Whoever scoops him up is going to be very lucky, what a player
6 juin 2023 à 11 h 21
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever

6 juin 2023 à 13 h 0
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
6 juin 2023 à 13 h 4
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2023-nhl-draft-profile-andrew-cristall/

Another good writeup from PPP's Brigstew, who seems to be on the same wavelength as me when it comes to guys the Leafs should target. Both Simashev and Cristall seem like huge stretches at 28, but if either one makes it there, we better pick them
MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
6 juin 2023 à 14 h 51
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982
I will try not to go to crazy (a have a lot of guys lined up lol) but I will start with defensive D. I am really tired of TOR always looking to trade for some tough, hard nosed D, it would be really nice to actually develop one. Here a couple of no nonsense guys I like to see targeted. Picks depending.

Brady Cleveland LD 6'4 / 201
- consolidated ranking - 120
- Bob McKenzie has him (66) as a late 2nd or early 3rd

“He’s a huge, long, mean, tough, and physical defenseman. He’s going to play in the NHL as a match, shut down that kills penalties and impacts games with his physicality and defending. He won’t be a guy that scores or points but he’s going to be a really valuable player in the NHL and will make highlights with his hitting.”

Matteus Söderbom LD 6'4 / 225
- consolidated ranking - draft +1

"Soderbom is a defenseman that likes to impose his physical skills on the game. He executes his defensive efforts with a lot of power and often wins the puck by being strong and well balanced in battles. Besides his strength, Soderbom has a hard shot that he can be relied upon to use from the right circle when he gets the chance on the power play. "

Also has some nice wheels

The more I see, I like a lot

Drew Fortescue 6'3 / 170
- consolidated ranking #75
- Bob McKenzie has him #78

He is a big-bodied defenseman that has a lot of potential with his NHL-caliber size and solid toolkit. Fortescue could top out as a second-pairing stay-at-home defenseman that kills penalties and allows his linemates to roam in the offensive zone. He will need a lot more time to develop his game, but he is already showing the base toolkit needed to take those next steps.

Matteo Fabrizi 6'5 / 234

"Fabrizi is not only an intimidating physical presence, but he has an active stick and along with blueline partner Jace Weir has become adept at blocking shots on the penalty kill."
“Matteo has a really good stick before making his hits. He’s good at taking away lanes, his reach is really a positive and his skating has continued to improve,” said Egener. “He’s taken a big role on the PK, made some real big blocks for us. He’s also making better reads and taking pride in that."
6 juin 2023 à 14 h 55
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Quoting: MatthewsFan
I will try not to go to crazy (a have a lot of guys lined up lol) but I will start with defensive D. I am really tired of TOR always looking to trade for some tough, hard nosed D, it would be really nice to actually develop one. Here a couple of no nonsense guys I like to see targeted. Picks depending.

Brady Cleveland LD 6'4 / 201
- consolidated ranking - 120
- Bob McKenzie has him (66) as a late 2nd or early 3rd

“He’s a huge, long, mean, tough, and physical defenseman. He’s going to play in the NHL as a match, shut down that kills penalties and impacts games with his physicality and defending. He won’t be a guy that scores or points but he’s going to be a really valuable player in the NHL and will make highlights with his hitting.”

Matteus Söderbom LD 6'4 / 225
- consolidated ranking - draft +1

"Soderbom is a defenseman that likes to impose his physical skills on the game. He executes his defensive efforts with a lot of power and often wins the puck by being strong and well balanced in battles. Besides his strength, Soderbom has a hard shot that he can be relied upon to use from the right circle when he gets the chance on the power play. "

Also has some nice wheels

The more I see, I like a lot

Drew Fortescue 6'3 / 170
- consolidated ranking #75
- Bob McKenzie has him #78

He is a big-bodied defenseman that has a lot of potential with his NHL-caliber size and solid toolkit. Fortescue could top out as a second-pairing stay-at-home defenseman that kills penalties and allows his linemates to roam in the offensive zone. He will need a lot more time to develop his game, but he is already showing the base toolkit needed to take those next steps.

Matteo Fabrizi 6'5 / 234

"Fabrizi is not only an intimidating physical presence, but he has an active stick and along with blueline partner Jace Weir has become adept at blocking shots on the penalty kill."
“Matteo has a really good stick before making his hits. He’s good at taking away lanes, his reach is really a positive and his skating has continued to improve,” said Egener. “He’s taken a big role on the PK, made some real big blocks for us. He’s also making better reads and taking pride in that."

Big fan of Soderbom. I'm not sure we'll see any guys like that at this year's draft considering it's pretty much the same staff as last year heading up this draft, but I really hope we do make a swing like that.

Trading for mean defenseman is always a disaster because you have to severely overpay. Look at Chiarot. Really hope we do have some eyes on any of those guys you mentioned
MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
7 juin 2023 à 11 h 24
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/oscar-fisker-molgaard/

Another great write up on yet another prospect I like. OFM does also seem like a Wes Clarke pick
MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
8 juin 2023 à 13 h 33
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2023-nhl-draft-profile-quentin-musty/

Musty is a really great target for the Leafs, however I left him off of my list of wants because I just don't really see him being available at 28. Based on the type of player he is, expect a team with multiple firsts to scoop him up
8 juin 2023 à 19 h 59
Birddog
Rejoint: mai 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 241
Hard to say without having more viewings. Highlight reels don’t tell the whole story.

Last years draft with the ‘04s I had Ty Nelson higher, at least high 2nd over guys like Seamus Casey. and Lane Hutson. Would I have grabbed him over Minten? Probably. Minten has good size and tools but is still very raw. I see Nelson as good or better than Ryan Ellis. Definitely better than Samuel Girard. Would have liked to see the Leafs move up to grab him instead of Moldenhauer who I believe will bust. Without trading up I would have grabbed Isaiah George over Moldenhauer. George won’t put up great numbers but he has great feet and will be able to defend against anyone.

This year at 28 there are quite a few players in that tier. It will depend on who falls. Mock drafts are all over the place. I could see another Dubas special with the Leafs trading down.
9 juin 2023 à 11 h 16
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Another prospect how is apparently at risk of falling in the draft is Riley Heidt??? That kid is a stud, and while I doubt he's going to drop as far as 28, that would be an incredible pick

Also, someone I haven't mentioned here but have followed for a while is Carey Terrance. Great skater
10 juin 2023 à 1 h 35
Hakuna Matata

Hes projected to go 50-60OA

But if a head scout be saying this they see something others dont

Still seems a bit odd lul
10 juin 2023 à 12 h 51
Hakuna Matata

10 juin 2023 à 15 h 31
Ovchinnikov 137

NorthernLeafsFan05 a aimé ceci.
13 juin 2023 à 14 h 44
Ovchinnikov 137
To continue on with some draft targets, TOR loves their overagers, here are a few I like:

Cole Knuble C / 5'11 / 185 right shot

“Cole is just such a special player and he’s the type of kid you wish was on your side,” said one opposing USHL coach. “He’s a tremendous leader on and off the ice, he does everything the right way and as a coach at this level the main thing you can ask from a kid is that they show up every night, and he certainly does that. As a coach one of the biggest compliments you can give a player is that in any situation you call his name. It doesn’t matter if you’re up a goal, down a goal, or just want to calm things down in the middle of a game. He has a unique ability to play in every situation at a high level. I just think the world of the kid and he’s a special player.” “The skill level has always been there with Cole but I think it’s the other parts of his game that stand out,” added another scout. “He plays a 200-foot game and he’s just as good in the defensive zone as he is in the offensive zone. He back-checks hard plus he took every key draw for (Fargo). Yes, there are still areas of his game that need to improve. But he’s the type of guy everybody wants to have in their lineup.” Knuble isn’t the world’s biggest player and although it’s improved, his skating will still need to improve in the long run.

Cole Knuble

Brady Stonehouse RW / 5'10 / 194

"Last year's 67's struggled in the OHL, and Stonehouse's numbers reflected that (35 points in 68 games). But the right winger is more than just points; he's an agitator par excellence - by all accounts a super-nice kid in real life who just drives opponents nuts as soon as he hits the ice. Not only does the 5-foot-9, 183-pound Stonehouse have the same build as NHL superstar pest Brad Marchand, he actually has a couple of pounds on the Bruins mainstay. And this year, Stonehouse has exhibited an excellent goal-scoring touch that has resulted in 31 goals in his first 60 games with Ottawa."
“I like to compare myself to Brad Marchand,” said Stonehouse “I like to play a physical game, fast, and I draw a lot of penalties, so that’s a bonus. I stay disciplined when people are coming after me.”

NHL potential is likely somewhere in a team’s bottom-six but prospects are always an uncertain thing. He could be more, he could even be less. He doesn’t just rely on his skill and he does the little things right, giving himself a decent enough chance to one day be a part of an NHL roster.

Alexander Suvorov RW / 5'9 / 160

Has been passed over twice now at the draft, he’s faster, stronger, and, most of all, actually completing plays at a high rate. He’s made a home for himself in Severstal’s top-six and should be pushing to be a late-round pick in the 2023 Draft. "A quick skater with a deadly shot that is used correctly in the powerplay. His wind-up is quick and his release is powerful. With every shot, Suvorov knows how to find the far side and his shots look like bullets. They penetrate the net and he doesn’t shoot to score; he shoots to rip the netting off. Suvorov loves to help out as the secondary man in transition and he loves making little set plays that let his teammates feed off of what he starts. Suvorov is a fun, high-energy, open-space type of player who can ride the play quickly at an unmatchable pace. I do want him to focus more on stopping on plays rather than fly-bys, and the careless taps that he gives instead of battling on the walls. I do think he’ll learn the importance of these little things once he plays on a smaller ice surface, but the things he’s done in the KHL as a DY+2 have convinced me he’ll be a great bet for an NHL team."

Erik Påhlsson RW / 6'1 / 183

"Pahlsson is a smart, creative center that has all the puckhandling skills required. His decision-making with the puck on his stick is at a really high level and he creates scoring opportunities almost every shift. The vision he has is incredible, and he sees openings in every type of game situation." "A smart and modern two-way center that is a good link between his defense and the wingers. He sees the ice well and does the right things at the right moment in most situations. Pahlsson moves to the right spots and is often playable in all three zones." "A two-way center that is the engine of his line. He manages with great control to make his way through traffic with speed and a good view of where his surroundings are. He acts quickly with his stick and is a player that is really useful on the power play with quick passes and good combinations with his teammates to create chances."

Erik Pahlsson

Elmeri Laakso LD / 6'1/ 181

"Laakso is capable of playing both sides on defence and when playing the right side, his breakout passes tend to be noticeable quicker as it may have something to do with him being able to evaluate the ice a bit quicker." "When it comes to shooting, Laakso does a great job of creating shooting lanes. His high-level skating shows well in the offensive zone. He is able to jump into open-ice areas and also use his smarts to work the puck around his body for a better shot angle." "Laakso plays with a subtle care and smoothness from the back end both offensively and defensively. He’s a smart player who reads and processes the game at pace and then makes light, intuitive plays — and occasionally more ambitious, attacking ones — within it. He does a really good job getting his point shots through by changing angles across and off of the line, too. He’s going to have to round out his game to give himself a shot up levels, but he’s on a good track and won’t turn 19 until almost a month after this year’s draft."

Elmeri Laakso
14 juin 2023 à 11 h 55
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Name that's kind of flown under my radar: Tanner Molendyk.

My attention is usually drawn to the "big swing" types, but I really feel like he'd just be real solid pick. Seems like a high floor guy with a decent ceiling as well.

Tanner Molendyk

👍
14 juin 2023 à 12 h 22
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Quoting: MatthewsFan
To continue on with some draft targets, TOR loves their overagers, here are a few I like:

Cole Knuble C / 5'11 / 185 right shot

“Cole is just such a special player and he’s the type of kid you wish was on your side,” said one opposing USHL coach. “He’s a tremendous leader on and off the ice, he does everything the right way and as a coach at this level the main thing you can ask from a kid is that they show up every night, and he certainly does that. As a coach one of the biggest compliments you can give a player is that in any situation you call his name. It doesn’t matter if you’re up a goal, down a goal, or just want to calm things down in the middle of a game. He has a unique ability to play in every situation at a high level. I just think the world of the kid and he’s a special player.” “The skill level has always been there with Cole but I think it’s the other parts of his game that stand out,” added another scout. “He plays a 200-foot game and he’s just as good in the defensive zone as he is in the offensive zone. He back-checks hard plus he took every key draw for (Fargo). Yes, there are still areas of his game that need to improve. But he’s the type of guy everybody wants to have in their lineup.” Knuble isn’t the world’s biggest player and although it’s improved, his skating will still need to improve in the long run.

Cole Knuble

Brady Stonehouse RW / 5'10 / 194

"Last year's 67's struggled in the OHL, and Stonehouse's numbers reflected that (35 points in 68 games). But the right winger is more than just points; he's an agitator par excellence - by all accounts a super-nice kid in real life who just drives opponents nuts as soon as he hits the ice. Not only does the 5-foot-9, 183-pound Stonehouse have the same build as NHL superstar pest Brad Marchand, he actually has a couple of pounds on the Bruins mainstay. And this year, Stonehouse has exhibited an excellent goal-scoring touch that has resulted in 31 goals in his first 60 games with Ottawa."
“I like to compare myself to Brad Marchand,” said Stonehouse “I like to play a physical game, fast, and I draw a lot of penalties, so that’s a bonus. I stay disciplined when people are coming after me.”

NHL potential is likely somewhere in a team’s bottom-six but prospects are always an uncertain thing. He could be more, he could even be less. He doesn’t just rely on his skill and he does the little things right, giving himself a decent enough chance to one day be a part of an NHL roster.

Alexander Suvorov RW / 5'9 / 160

Has been passed over twice now at the draft, he’s faster, stronger, and, most of all, actually completing plays at a high rate. He’s made a home for himself in Severstal’s top-six and should be pushing to be a late-round pick in the 2023 Draft. "A quick skater with a deadly shot that is used correctly in the powerplay. His wind-up is quick and his release is powerful. With every shot, Suvorov knows how to find the far side and his shots look like bullets. They penetrate the net and he doesn’t shoot to score; he shoots to rip the netting off. Suvorov loves to help out as the secondary man in transition and he loves making little set plays that let his teammates feed off of what he starts. Suvorov is a fun, high-energy, open-space type of player who can ride the play quickly at an unmatchable pace. I do want him to focus more on stopping on plays rather than fly-bys, and the careless taps that he gives instead of battling on the walls. I do think he’ll learn the importance of these little things once he plays on a smaller ice surface, but the things he’s done in the KHL as a DY+2 have convinced me he’ll be a great bet for an NHL team."

Erik Påhlsson RW / 6'1 / 183

"Pahlsson is a smart, creative center that has all the puckhandling skills required. His decision-making with the puck on his stick is at a really high level and he creates scoring opportunities almost every shift. The vision he has is incredible, and he sees openings in every type of game situation." "A smart and modern two-way center that is a good link between his defense and the wingers. He sees the ice well and does the right things at the right moment in most situations. Pahlsson moves to the right spots and is often playable in all three zones." "A two-way center that is the engine of his line. He manages with great control to make his way through traffic with speed and a good view of where his surroundings are. He acts quickly with his stick and is a player that is really useful on the power play with quick passes and good combinations with his teammates to create chances."

Erik Pahlsson

Elmeri Laakso LD / 6'1/ 181

"Laakso is capable of playing both sides on defence and when playing the right side, his breakout passes tend to be noticeable quicker as it may have something to do with him being able to evaluate the ice a bit quicker." "When it comes to shooting, Laakso does a great job of creating shooting lanes. His high-level skating shows well in the offensive zone. He is able to jump into open-ice areas and also use his smarts to work the puck around his body for a better shot angle." "Laakso plays with a subtle care and smoothness from the back end both offensively and defensively. He’s a smart player who reads and processes the game at pace and then makes light, intuitive plays — and occasionally more ambitious, attacking ones — within it. He does a really good job getting his point shots through by changing angles across and off of the line, too. He’s going to have to round out his game to give himself a shot up levels, but he’s on a good track and won’t turn 19 until almost a month after this year’s draft."

Elmeri Laakso

Love me some Stonehouse
17 juin 2023 à 21 h 35
Hakuna Matata
Gabe Perreault and Axel Sandin-Pellikka were interviewed by Toronto

Kind of weird we havent heard any late round guys were interviewed
21 juin 2023 à 11 h 52
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2023-nhl-draft-profile-beckett-hendrickson/

Really like Hendrickson
MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
21 juin 2023 à 15 h 50
Hakuna Matata

Gives me Knies vibes. Projections have him going 17-31OA
21 juin 2023 à 18 h 47
Ovchinnikov 137
I want Anton Wahlberg so much but if I taking him at 28 is too high (I would also be shocked if we keep the pick) I am all aboard the Beau Akey train.

MITCH BROWN: “I have so many, but here’s one: The best defenceman in the draft won’t be David Reinbacher, Dmitri Simashev, or Axel Sandin Pellikka. It will be one of the toolsy/high-skill late-first and beyond players, like Tanner Molendyk or Beau Akey. I’ll say Akey. Less explosive than Molendyk but just as exceptional defending the rush. One of the best 1-on-1 defenders in the CHL – he’s suffocating out there with his mobility, stick work, and timing. And while we don’t see a ton of offence from him, the flashes are exciting: Weak side activation for one-timers, give-and-goes where he draws opponents first, and manipulation from the point. With Brandt Clarke leaving next season, maybe he gets the green light to run wild. With that mobility and those flashes, he could go off.“

“Akey is a tremendous skater and covers a great amount of ice defensively. He’s among the class’ premier rush defenders and once he fills out his frame, he could potentially add layers of aggression and violence to his defensive game that don’t come out very often as of yet. He’s a good passer and has progressed as a puck carrier, he has the upside to be an impactful top-four piece, but he will need to refine his on-puck game and gain in offensive confidence to push the boundaries of that potential”. –
22 juin 2023 à 12 h 16
Ovchinnikov 137

I’d be trading back from 28 if it played out like this

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option