SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2022-23 NHL Playoff Discussion Thread #1: The Chase for the Cup

15 avr. 2023 à 17 h 53
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,883
2 series I see being surprises this playoffs

LAK vs. EDM (Dont think its gonna be as one sided as we think)

CAR vs. NYI
15 avr. 2023 à 18 h 7
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 554
Quoting: aadoyle
Keefe experiments but that does not mean those are the set lines. All coaches mix and match lines when they want to drive some offense in the middle of a game. As there is nothing wrong with spreading out offense

Once Robertson comes back for next season he will probs be slotted in with JT and Marner or O'Rielly (if extended) and a new 3RW as that is where he has has all his success. Look up statistics before posting as Robertson-JT-Marner was pretty good together.

Robertson is not built for the 4th line nor should he play there.

Simple

As shown with my lines above that will be how things probs go unless someone like McMann or Steeves impresses

To end it off this is where things should be come 2023-2024

Jarnkrok-Matthews-Nylander
Robertson-JT-Marner
Knies-ROR-New 3RW (Take your pick of Brown, Dadonov, Drouin (cheap deal), Tatar, Barbashev, Johansson, potential trade, etc.)
Lafferty-Holmberg-Acciari

McCabe-Brodie
Rielly-Liligren
Gio-Timmins

Samsonov
Woll

Stats the guy was scratched a bunch before he was injured. If he was actually that good he would've played. He probably missed a bunch of assignments. Knies yes im excited, mcmann had potential maybe put him in. Ur living off Robertson's name at this point the guy hasn't proven anything id rather sign someone else. Im saying 4th line just to give him something.
15 avr. 2023 à 18 h 13
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: GarthBrooks
Stats the guy was scratched a bunch before he was injured. If he was actually that good he would've played. He probably missed a bunch of assignments. Knies yes im excited, mcmann had potential maybe put him in. Ur living off Robertson's name at this point the guy hasn't proven anything id rather sign someone else. Im saying 4th line just to give him something.

If we look at Robertson-Tavares-Marner when they started playing together before Robertson's unlucky injury and even with the scratches

There XGF was 7th amongst Leafs forward lines with 4.13xgf in retrospect Bunting-Matthews-Marners XGF was 3.33. If we look at XGA Robertson-JT-Marner was 8th least amongst leaf lines at 1.5 xga thats very good. Keefe even knew it which was why he was playing him up there then Roy accidently ended his season. Wasnt for that he would probs be up there rn and would have put the LW need to bed.

Hes not built for the 4th line so I dont know why u keep going to that. The above stats simplify things for you. As if he did that with JT and Marner why split up a good thing. He just needs to remain healthy and they are set with a nice young scoring top 6 wing. End the silly notion of him being a 4th liner as its getting silly.
15 avr. 2023 à 18 h 14
Rejoint: févr. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 870
3 things.

Washington should go back to the screaming eagle as their primary. Or even the capital building. They don't need to go back to black and blue, even though I prefer those colors to the ones they have now. But the eagle or dome might look really dope in red white n blue.

Dallas' logo now isn't terrible. But a lot of people complained their original about how basic their original was. Regardless, I absolutely despise their color scheme now. I hate that victory green they chose. And don't even get me started on their third highlighter NBA style jersey. I think they should go back to their late 90s-late 2000's colors of black white gold and that dark almost forest green. Also, hot take - the 3 jerseys they wore from 07-2013 are some of the best of all time. Something about the simplicity just looks killer to me.

Am I the only person who hates the new sharks jerseys??
Devil a aimé ceci.
15 avr. 2023 à 18 h 28
Bedard23
Mentions "j'aime": 4,473
Quoting: Steven_Stamkos
3 things.

Washington should go back to the screaming eagle as their primary. Or even the capital building. They don't need to go back to black and blue, even though I prefer those colors to the ones they have now. But the eagle or dome might look really dope in red white n blue.

Dallas' logo now isn't terrible. But a lot of people complained their original about how basic their original was. Regardless, I absolutely despise their color scheme now. I hate that victory green they chose. And don't even get me started on their third highlighter NBA style jersey. I think they should go back to their late 90s-late 2000's colors of black white gold and that dark almost forest green. Also, hot take - the 3 jerseys they wore from 07-2013 are some of the best of all time. Something about the simplicity just looks killer to me.

I never liked the stars old jerseys and colour scheme, they should’ve kept the North Stars colours instead of going that dark green yellow and black abomination, I don’t hate the new colours though
15 avr. 2023 à 18 h 54
and proud of it
Mentions "j'aime": 1,590
Quoting: Steven_Stamkos
3 things.

Yeah, Washington's old Eagle would be sick in red white and blue.

Honestly don't hat either of Dallas' logos but I hate the team lol.

Sharks jerseys aren't great.

I really dislike Chicago's most recent reverse retros
15 avr. 2023 à 19 h 0
and proud of it
https://www.nhl.com/news/columbus-blue-jackets-fire-head-coach-brad-larsen/c-343569176

Yeah...
16 avr. 2023 à 8 h 43
and proud of it
What goalies does Vegas use?
16 avr. 2023 à 8 h 48
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,338
Quoting: HockeyManiac95

Right now their options are Hill, Broissoit, Quick ( assuming Lehner and Thompson being out continues ), I'd go Hill or Quick, depends if they want the vet with playoff success or Hill who's done very well
16 avr. 2023 à 9 h 6
and proud of it
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Right now their options are Hill, Broissoit, Quick ( assuming Lehner and Thompson being out continues ), I'd go Hill or Quick, depends if they want the vet with playoff success or Hill who's done very well

Probably Hill start with Quick backup, and they alternate every game or two. If Thompson's back, it's him then Hill/Quick alternate as backup. They're never using Lehner again.
16 avr. 2023 à 9 h 11
Bedard23
Probably Hill start with Quick backup, and they alternate every game or two. If Thompson's back, it's him then Hill/Quick alternate as backup. They're never using Lehner again.

I presume hill will solely be for like the first couple of games, I mean they don’t have to rush him back against a team like the Jets
16 avr. 2023 à 10 h 4
My full cup picks
Boston over Florida in 5
Toronto over Tampa in 7
Carolina over Islanders in 6
Rangers over Devils in 7
Colorado over Seattle in 7
Dallas over Minny in 6
Winnipeg over Vegas in 7
Edmonton over Kings in 5

Boston over Toronto
Rangers over Canes
Dallas over Colorado
Edmonton over Winnipeg

Boston over Rangers
Dallas over Edmonton

Boston over Dallas
Hurricanes_WPG, Saskleaf, EsoYeezus69 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
16 avr. 2023 à 10 h 13
Bedard23
Here’s mine:

Boston over Florida in 5
Tampa over Toronto in 7
Carolina over NY Islanders in 6
NY Rangers over New Jersey in 7

Vegas over Winnipeg in 6
Edmonton over LA in 7
Colorado over Seattle in 6
Dallas over Minnesota in 5

Tampa over Boston in 6
Carolina over NY Rangers in 7

Vegas over Edmonton in 6
Dallas over Colorado in 7

Carolina over Tampa in 5
Vegas over Dallas in 6

Carolina over Vegas in 5
Hurricanes_WPG et EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
16 avr. 2023 à 11 h 20
More Finns More Wins
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 624
Last year I went 8-0 in the first round and 0-7 for the rest of the playoffs.

Boston over Florida in 7. Florida has been on a tear lately, but so has Boston. This will be the best series of the first round, but Ullmark is simply better than Lyon.
Toronto over Tampa in 6. Tampa hasn't been themselves lately, but I think we were saying the same thing last year. I will fall victim to the gambler's fallacy and say that Toronto can't keep getting this unlucky forever. Samsonov being good (even if he's not at Vasilevskiy's level) also helps.
Carolina over NYI in 5. The teams play similar styles, but Carolina is simply better at that style. All games will be close, but not the series.
Rangers over Devils in 6. Shesterkin >> Vanecek, and the goaltending advantage means so much in the playoffs. Will be wildly entertaining with the amount of firepower both teams have.

Winnipeg over LV in 6. No Mark Stone, no Logan Thompson, Connor Hellebuyck.
Edmonton over LA in 6. The deepest the Oilers have looked in a while. I expect Korpisalo to be amazing but not quite amazing enough. Draisaitl has two legs this time, so Edmonton has the edge.
Colorado over Seattle in 4. Seattle simply does not have the goaltending or the high-end talent to contest Colorado.
Dallas over Minnesota in 6. Even if Gustavsson continues his strong play, the Stars have the Otter, and their offence has more than one guy.

Boston over Toronto in 7. Lol
NYR over Carolina in 7. Will be almost an exact repeat of last year. Carolina's PK doesn't work in a playoff series against high-flying opponents who have time and preparation to work around the aggression. Also Shesterkin is better than anyone Carolina can put between the pipes.

Dallas over Colorado in 7. The best series of the second round, where Oettinger's heroics face against the powerful Colorado attack, and I think the Stars have just enough to survive it and advance.
Edmonton over Winnipeg in 7. Similar to Dallas vs Colorado, but Hellebuyck isn't quite as good as Oettinger and the Oilers' offence is as strong as the Avs'. This will be a good series though.

Boston over NYR in 5. The Rangers face a team that has a better goaltender than Shesterkin, as well as a better two-way team. This isn't particularly close.
Dallas over Edmonton in 6. Edmonton runs into another superstar goaltender, and Dallas has better skaters than Winnipeg.

Dallas over Boston in 7. Jake Oettinger, Miro Heiskanen and Jason Robertson put the team on their backs and end the Bruins' historic run.

Edit: looks like @A_Habs_Fan beat me to this exact prediction (at least for winners and until the SCF)
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
16 avr. 2023 à 11 h 24
Respect Mike Grier
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,588
Quoting: Hurricanes_WPG

Boston over Florida in 7. Florida has been on a tear lately, but so has Boston. This will be the best series of the first round, but Ullmark is simply better than Lyon.

Lyongo>>>>>>
16 avr. 2023 à 11 h 34
Formerly edeangel84
Rejoint: avr. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 119
My picks

Boston over Florida in 5
Toronto over Tampa in 7
Isles over Canes in 6
Devils over Rangers in 7
Colorado over Seattle in 5
Dallas over Minnesota in 6
Vegas sweeps Winnipeg
Edmonton over Kings in 7

Boston over Toronto in 6
Devils over Isles in 5
Dallas over Colorado in 7
Vegas over Edmonton in 6

Boston over NJD in 6
Dallas over Vegas in 6

Boston over Dallas in 5
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
16 avr. 2023 à 11 h 35
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 2,887
Quoting: Juiceman
i63z0p1a12ua1.png?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=c056ce075078374c701b5bd27f729d94517c1ddb

This should be the true playoffs

Need to swap out the Stanley Cup graphic with a pic of Bedard.
16 avr. 2023 à 11 h 43
and proud of it
My picks:

First Round:
Boston>Florida in 6
New Jersey>New York in 7
Carolina>Islanders in 5
Tampa Bay>Toronto in 7
Colorado >Seattle in 6
Dallas>Minnesota in 7
Vegas>Winnipeg in 4
Edmonton>LA in 7

Round 2:
Tampa>Boston in 6
New Jersey>Carolina in 6
Dallas>Colorado in 6
Edmonton>Vegas in 5

Semi-Finals:
New Jersey>Tampa Bay in 6
Edmonton>Dallas in 5

Cup Final:
Edmonton>New Jersey in 6
16 avr. 2023 à 11 h 44
Quoting: Hurricanes_WPG

Toronto over Tampa in 6. Tampa hasn't been themselves lately, but I think we were saying the same thing last year. I will fall victim to the gambler's fallacy and say that Toronto can't keep getting this unlucky forever. Samsonov being good (even if he's not at Vasilevskiy's level) also helps.
Carolina over NYI in 5. The teams play similar styles, but Carolina is simply better at that style. All games will be close, but not the series.
Rangers over Devils in 6. Shesterkin >> Vanecek, and the goaltending advantage means so much in the playoffs. Will be wildly entertaining with the amount of firepower both teams have.

Winnipeg over LV in 6. No Mark Stone, no Logan Thompson, Connor Hellebuyck.
Edmonton over LA in 6. The deepest the Oilers have looked in a while. I expect Korpisalo to be amazing but not quite amazing enough. Draisaitl has two legs this time, so Edmonton has the edge.
Colorado over Seattle in 4. Seattle simply does not have the goaltending or the high-end talent to contest Colorado.
Dallas over Minnesota in 6. Even if Gustavsson continues his strong play, the Stars have the Otter, and their offence has more than one guy.

Boston over Toronto in 7. Lol
NYR over Carolina in 7. Will be almost an exact repeat of last year. Carolina's PK doesn't work in a playoff series against high-flying opponents who have time and preparation to work around the aggression. Also Shesterkin is better than anyone Carolina can put between the pipes.

Dallas over Colorado in 7. The best series of the second round, where Oettinger's heroics face against the powerful Colorado attack, and I think the Stars have just enough to survive it and advance.
Edmonton over Winnipeg in 7. Similar to Dallas vs Colorado, but Hellebuyck isn't quite as good as Oettinger and the Oilers' offence is as strong as the Avs'. This will be a good series though.

Boston over NYR in 5. The Rangers face a team that has a better goaltender than Shesterkin, as well as a better two-way team. This isn't particularly close.
Dallas over Edmonton in 6. Edmonton runs into another superstar goaltender, and Dallas has better skaters than Winnipeg.

Dallas over Boston in 7. Jake Oettinger, Miro Heiskanen and Jason Robertson put the team on their backs and end the Bruins' historic run.

Edit: looks like A_Habs_Fan beat me to this exact prediction (at least for winners and until the SCF)

Great minds think alike ( at least until the cup finals ) wink
16 avr. 2023 à 12 h 19
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 12,091
The isles have 9 players under the age of 30 in the lineup. Don’t remember the last time that happened in a playoff game.

16 avr. 2023 à 12 h 26
Hakuna Matata

Im gonna say Hill or Brossoit starts and the other guys the backup

Quick had a nice start but fell off the bridge
16 avr. 2023 à 12 h 58
v5 CBJ GM
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 8,560
decided to go hot take on my bracket:

Round 1

BOS over FLA in 5
TOR over TBL in 7
CAR over NYI in 6
NJD over NYR in 7
COL over SEA in 6
DAL over MIN in 6
VGK over WPG in 4
EDM over LAK in 7

Round 2

BOS over TOR in 7
NJD over CAR in 7
COL over DAL in 7
EDM over VGK in 5 [yes we're really only gonna have one series that doesnt end in 7]

Round 3

NJD over BOS in 6
EDM over COL in 6

SCF

NJD over EDM in 7
16 avr. 2023 à 13 h 37
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,191
image.png
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
16 avr. 2023 à 13 h 40