Forums/Armchair-GM

Creatively helping the Coyotes make payroll

Créé par: TML_GM
Équipe: 2023-24 Maple Leafs de Toronto
Date de création initiale: 8 mars 2023
Publié: 8 mars 2023
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
We all know Arizona is cash poor and needs to artificially stay above the cap floor and pay minimal amounts of actual cash to stay viable and make payroll. They are treading water until their new arena is built in the hopes that a new arena in a better location with a young and exciting team will put them back in the black on the ledger.

This creates an opportunity for a cash rich team like the Leafs to take advantage of that situation.

Here I have the Leafs acquiring 2 players that are good-to-very good players that are on deals with significant term that pay significant real money.

1. LW Crouse is owed 17.9 million dollars on the remaining 4 years of his contract.
2. C/RW Schmaltz is owed a whopping 22.95 million on the remaining 3 years of his contract, which also includes a 1.5 M cash signing bonus in 24-25. On top of that, he has a NTC that kicks in as of July 1, 2023 so if ARZ wants out of that $ commitment, they will want to move him at the draft.

In exchange for taking on the almost 41 million dollars in money owed (for two good players mind you), the Leafs would send back:

1. Matt Murray (this assumes his inconsistency and injury problems continue and Samsonov is the better bet). Murray has just 1 year remaining at $8,000,000 (real money), however OTT is eating 2 M of that. If he is injured, insurance covers most of the bill and he can be placed on IR to still count against their cap to reach the floor. Alternatively, they can buy him out which would not help their cap floor issues as much, but would save them real money as the buyout would cost 2M x 2 years for a total of 4M real dollars. [NTC considerations here as well, but I think the Leafs can work around that with Murray.]
2. Jake Muzzin (assumes his career is done and he is okay with the paychecks coming from ARZ's insurance company). ARZ can use his contract by placing him on IR to move 5.625 M closer to the cap floor. Leafs likely promise him a front office job the following year a la Spezza.

The Leafs would send some good assets along to ARZ as well:
1. 2023 1st round pick (BOS)
2. LW prospect Hirvonen (top 5 in the Leafs system and near NHL ready)
3. 2024 3rd round pick (NYI)
4. (ARZ could also have one of the Leafs younger RFAs that need to be resigned like Abruzzese or Der-Arguchintsev, both require waivers if resigned so the Leafs may used them as trade pieces instead of potentially losing them for nothing)

***Remember, this isn't just a hockey deal but a business deal so the return may not be as high as the general fan or Coyotes fan would expect/want. There are only a handful of teams with the money to make a deal like this and who are in a position to take on these contracts next season.

All told the Coyotes end up between 0 - 4M in real dollar commitments over 2 years while avoiding needing to pay out 41M in real dollars over the next 4 years. They get 5.625M phantom cap they can use to reach the cap floor if necessary with another potential 4.69M phantom cap from Murray if he's injured (or less if they buy him out with 4M in real dollars spent).

The Leafs end up with a very good 3C, who could also play top-6 RW or 2C if they want to shift Tavares to LW (like they have done with O'Rielly). They also get their missing power forward element in Crouse who can ride shotgun with Matthews and Marner. He essentially becomes a Bunting replacement as there isn't enough cap to bring Bunting back as well (nor would I commit to him long term at north of 3M, though I appreciate what he brings it just doesn't make good sense long term).

There are risks here for the Leafs of course. They now have an additional 10.15M on their cap when Matthews and Nylander need new contracts in 24-25. However, they will have Brodie's 5M coming off the cap and a presumed increase of several million on the cap, let's say 3M. That would allow them to sign Matthews at 13M per season and Nylander at 9.5M per season (roughly 4M in raises). Then resigning Marner the following season at 12.5M should not be a problem with Tavares' contract coming off the books at the same time and further cap increases (could resign Tavares to play LW at a hometown discount for 2 years if he wants). They will also likely have a rough year on D in 2025-26 with Brodie gone, Reilly getting older, and not much other than Niemela in the pipeline. UFA options will be limited due to cap, but they could add a good pending-UFA D at the deadline if they avoid LTIR.

Other Notes:
- I have re-signed Acciari for 4 years, which seems like a lot of term, but it is at the amount that can be safely sent to the minors with no cap penalty. At his age I think he takes the money, likely plays 2-3 of those years as a reliable 4C with spot 3RW duty before being sent down or traded.

- I signed Miles Wood as an energy 4th liner to fit well with Acciari and Lafferty. The contract may not be realistic, but I am assuming that coming off injury with lower production we may be able to get him on a 1 or 2 year deal at 2-ish million as a prove it type deal with opportunity. He would have potential to play further up the lineup should Knies or Robertson not be viable options in the top-9. [I have a feeling Buffalo or Boston signs him for more money and term though.]

- I re-signed Schenn as the new 6/7 D option for 2 years. Seeing how excited he is to return to Toronto, I feel like he may be down with that (if he doesn't ant to move back to Vancouver).

- I resigned Samsonov to a 4 year deal with an estimated low cap hit assuming he takes it to be the established starter on a contending team and will still be just 30 when the contract expires with an opportunity for a bigger payday at that time if he has success. HE seems to quite like it here as well. There is about a million of wiggle room on that signing, more if they don't sign Wood and go with a McMann or Steves on the 4th line instead.

Anyway, those are my Wednesday morning ramblings. Have fun tearing them down CapFriendly community.
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
LISTE DE RÉSERVEANSCAP HIT
3925 000 $
RFAANSCAP HIT
43 250 000 $
2775 000 $
UFAANSCAP HIT
41 250 000 $
2800 000 $
22 100 000 $
Transactions
ARI
  1. Hirvonen, Roni
  2. Murray, Matt
  3. Muzzin, Jake
  4. Choix de 1e ronde en 2023 (BOS)
  5. Choix de 3e ronde en 2024 (NYI)
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de CHI
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de OTT
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de CHI
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2383 500 000 $83 131 450 $0 $0 $368 550 $

Formation

Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Coyotes de l'Arizona
4 300 000 $4 300 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 4
Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
11 640 250 $11 640 250 $
C
NMC
UFA - 1
10 903 000 $10 903 000 $
AD
NMC
UFA - 2
925 000 $925 000 $
AG, AD
RFA - 2
11 000 000 $11 000 000 $
C, AG
NMC
UFA - 2
6 962 366 $6 962 366 $
AD
NMC
UFA - 1
796 667 $796 667 $
AG, AD
RFA - 1
Logo de Coyotes de l'Arizona
5 850 000 $5 850 000 $
AD, C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
2 100 000 $2 100 000 $
AD, C, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 3
2 100 000 $2 100 000 $
AG
UFA - 6
1 250 000 $1 250 000 $
C, AD
UFA - 3
1 150 000 $1 150 000 $
AD, C, AG
UFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
7 500 000 $7 500 000 $
DG
NMC
UFA - 7
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG/DD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
3 250 000 $3 250 000 $
G
UFA - 1
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
DG/DD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
1 400 000 $1 400 000 $
DD
RFA - 1
766 667 $766 667 $
G
RFA - 2
1 100 000 $1 100 000 $
DD
RFA - 2
800 000 $800 000 $
DG
UFA - 1
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
775 000 $775 000 $
C, AG
RFA - 2
762 500 $762 500 $
AD, AG
UFA - 1
800 000 $800 000 $
DD
UFA - 3

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
8 mars 2023 à 11 h 5
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 19,293
Arizona has to add ~5M in cap for next season and have 9 roster spots to fill
Lenny7 et TheeDjeeEem a aimé ceci.
8 mars 2023 à 11 h 9
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,761
IDL giving the 2023 1st for a guy like Schmaltz and Crouse
8 mars 2023 à 11 h 14
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,465
Doesn't make sense for Coyotes to trade their two best forwards. Don't see why Murray would waive to Arizona. Acciari hasn't;t shown much to deserve four years. Samsonov likely gets more even by an offer sheet. Holmberg could leave as a UFA if that's the best offer, as he makes more currently.
8 mars 2023 à 11 h 16
Rejoint: avr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 215
Quoting: Leafsfan98
IDL giving the 2023 1st for a guy like Schmaltz and Crouse

Remove Schmaltz and Crouse and Zona considers
Lenny7 et M_Swann a aimé ceci.
8 mars 2023 à 11 h 19
Lets Get Kraken
Rejoint: avr. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 3,409
The Yotes are still going to get more than that. Yotes can still pay them rather than sell extremely low.
TheeDjeeEem a aimé ceci.
8 mars 2023 à 11 h 20
Leafs Sufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 3,511
Quoting: TheeDjeeEem

This isn't even remotely close to being funny.
8 mars 2023 à 11 h 25
we miss leo k
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,094
Matt Murray's not quite LTIRetired yet so his NTC kills this deal outright - if he wouldn't waive for Buffalo, he's not waiving for Arizona.

I also think Crouse is someone that Arizona would need an insane overpay to move. For everything you're saying about them being cash-poor, they still have to sign UFAs (and eventually retain RFAs). Crouse willingly signed a 5 year deal, with the full knowledge that he'd be skating in a college arena, and I think moving on from him so fast is going to kill what little goodwill they have left - something a cash-poor team needs to take into consideration more than a team like the Leafs might have to think about.

Beyond that, I don't think Arizona is going to have any trouble hitting the cap floor next year. They have more than $22M committed to LITRetired guys and OEL's retained contract, meaning they only need about $40M worth of roster players to get to the floor. As of right now they've got $35M committed with 8 forwards, 5 D, and 1 goalie under contract for 2023-24 - even if they trade Schmaltz, they'd only need to make up $11M worth of salary on 5 forwards + 1 D + 1 backup goalie, plus whatever healthy scratches they carry. They don't need to struggle to get to that number.
8 mars 2023 à 11 h 34
Lenny7
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 11,051
Quoting: Ritzy
This isn't even remotely close to being funny.

This whole thing went off the rails really, really quickly. I appreciate the effort that the OP put in to this explanation, because explaining your rationale instead of simply posting absolutely helps, but this is a stretch beyond comprehension. I'd have a hard time trading Crouse for that package, let alone both. It's hilariously bad asset management from a team that has been a heck of a lot smarter than that.
Ritzy a aimé ceci.
8 mars 2023 à 11 h 37
Lenny7
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 11,051
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
Matt Murray's not quite LTIRetired yet so his NTC kills this deal outright - if he wouldn't waive for Buffalo, he's not waiving for Arizona.

I also think Crouse is someone that Arizona would need an insane overpay to move. For everything you're saying about them being cash-poor, they still have to sign UFAs (and eventually retain RFAs). Crouse willingly signed a 5 year deal, with the full knowledge that he'd be skating in a college arena, and I think moving on from him so fast is going to kill what little goodwill they have left - something a cash-poor team needs to take into consideration more than a team like the Leafs might have to think about.

Beyond that, I don't think Arizona is going to have any trouble hitting the cap floor next year. They have more than $22M committed to LITRetired guys and OEL's retained contract, meaning they only need about $40M worth of roster players to get to the floor. As of right now they've got $35M committed with 8 forwards, 5 D, and 1 goalie under contract for 2023-24 - even if they trade Schmaltz, they'd only need to make up $11M worth of salary on 5 forwards + 1 D + 1 backup goalie, plus whatever healthy scratches they carry. They don't need to struggle to get to that number.

Agreed. *IF* you're intent on trading away Schmaltz and/or Crouse (I don't think they will), you take the best package available for both. Then, if you're under the floor, you do a Muzzin for future considerations type deal. It's two steps, not one.
dannibalcorpse a aimé ceci.
8 mars 2023 à 11 h 58
Leafs Sufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 3,511
Quoting: Lenny7
This whole thing went off the rails really, really quickly. I appreciate the effort that the OP put in to this explanation, because explaining your rationale instead of simply posting absolutely helps, but this is a stretch beyond comprehension. I'd have a hard time trading Crouse for that package, let alone both. It's hilariously bad asset management from a team that has been a heck of a lot smarter than that.

I agree, the thought process is there, but the return for ARZ just isn't enough. It's taking the "ARZ spends insurance money to get to cap floor" to another level that just isn't realistic. Too many moving parts to consider.

But, as per usual in the CapFriendly world, there's always the few that like to comment to the extremes thinking they are clever. "Your post was so ridiculous that I'm going to post something even more ridiculous to show how ridiculous your post looks" is a wild phenomenon.
Lenny7 a aimé ceci.
8 mars 2023 à 12 h 32
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,761
Quoting: TheeDjeeEem

Then why are you quoting me???

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options: