SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Vancouver Canucks signed Andrei Kuzmenko (2 Years / $5,500,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

26 janv. 2023 à 14 h 46
Fast n Bulbous
Rejoint: janv. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 12
Quoting: MatthewsFan

I look forward to seeing him continue his 24% shooting percentage

Weak argument. If they traded him at the deadline for a second or a very late first, they'd wait 3-5 years for a player they could only hope was as good as him. They used a 6th overall on Virtanen, Boeser was 23rd, they can't even trade him. They're still waiting on Podkolzin and Hoglander, why would you trade one of your best wingers for basically nothing? You guys seem to think they can just ice a lineup of 4rth liners every year, hell why even try. Just trade everyone and ice AHLers, Finish last every year, draft players and wait 5 years to see if you have a team. Absolutely moronic.
26 janv. 2023 à 14 h 48
Fast n Bulbous
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Good contract, confusing time... Why aren't you trying to sign your captain instead of Kuzmenko? I voted yes because good contract and easily movable if needed

Because the Captain is asking for not a penny less than 9.5 a year, that's why.
OldNYIfan et Knuckl3s a aimé ceci.
26 janv. 2023 à 14 h 51
Fast n Bulbous
Quoting: mk458
Not saying I disagree with you, but he would've went for a lot more than a 2nd round pick at the deadline. Because of the flat cap the last couple years teams have less cap space at the deadline than ever before. A guy like Kuzmenko who already has 20 goals, is close to a point per game, and makes less than 1 million would have been pure gold to a contending team this season. I would think a first round pick would have been the minimum they got back for him

You're wrong, he would have been a rental, he wasn't set to become a restricted free agent, he was set to become an unrestricted free agent. That matters, now they'd get more at the deadline, it was actually good asset management for a change.
OldNYIfan et Knuckl3s a aimé ceci.
26 janv. 2023 à 14 h 52
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 5,863
Great deal for a not so great team
Knuckl3s a aimé ceci.
26 janv. 2023 à 14 h 53
Fast n Bulbous
Quoting: DarcyTucker
Why trade your UFAs futures when you can re-sign them and stay mediocre forever?

Because UFAs are only rentals, meathead.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
26 janv. 2023 à 14 h 53
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 449
Quoting: AK50
He earned the money. He's becoming a core piece for us that we need to keep long-term though. I would've preferred 5.5 5 years though.

a core piece of a rotten apple.
26 janv. 2023 à 14 h 55
Im just kinda here
Rejoint: avr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 97

I look forward to seeing him continue his 24% shooting percentage

Y'know I never understood the games played argument. Teams sign based on what the player will do during the contract, not what he has done, plus he was a star player in the KHL for years. It was the same argument with Kirill Kaprizov, and he's already destroyed the Wild's single season records and will eventually break more

Maybe there's some truth to this, but I don't see it
26 janv. 2023 à 15 h 8
MK458
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 928
Modifié 26 janv. 2023 à 15 h 17
Quoting: ZootHornRollo
You're wrong, he would have been a rental, he wasn't set to become a restricted free agent, he was set to become an unrestricted free agent. That matters, now they'd get more at the deadline, it was actually good asset management for a change.

Never said he was an rfa or anything more than a rental... Just that his cap hit is low and 20+ teams are currently up against the cap. Did you even read my comment???
CD282 a aimé ceci.
26 janv. 2023 à 15 h 11
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 8

I don't think he said anything about being an rfa dude. Fact is he has a low cap hit and teams could easily fit him in their lineup without having to move out a contract. Simple as that, low cap hit this season makes you extremely valuable
26 janv. 2023 à 15 h 21
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,724
Imagine the return he would have got especially at 50% retained

Teams right up against the cap like Tampa would have paid a premium for that contract

But nope instead of gaining assets just extend the guy and stay meh

Watch they gonna buy out Garland rather than trade him next
mk458 et majormoose007 a aimé ceci.
26 janv. 2023 à 15 h 21
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,761
Because the Captain is asking for not a penny less than 9.5 a year, that's why.

And yet, you signed Miller to 9/8 years... He's your captain, sign him to that contract
26 janv. 2023 à 15 h 24
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 1
A few reason I like this signing.
1. Lottery protected 1st rounders are probably not easy to come by this draft (I'm sure they inquired)
2. Canucks drafting history is generally abysmal that's probably why they trade their picks so often - can't mess it up if you don't have it to begin with!
3. Best return likely a prospect and a 2nd
4. Incentive for Petey to stay
5. Still a tradeable contract I guess if they ever decide to pull the pin the rebuild
AK50 a aimé ceci.
26 janv. 2023 à 15 h 37
Rejoint: juin 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 475
Good contract but why would he have wanted to extend with this organization?
AK50 a aimé ceci.
26 janv. 2023 à 15 h 41
Moose
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Quoting: mondo
Would've made more sense to trade him for at very least a first round pick. Canucks aren't going anywhere this year and are likely going to be treading water for the next two seasons.

Apparently him and Pettersson get along well so I've been under the impression that keeping him is apart of keeping Pettersson next season.

Who is offering a first round pick on a UFA that's played 47 career NHL games? I'm certain that Alvin would have accepted such an offer if it existed.
Knuckl3s a aimé ceci.
26 janv. 2023 à 15 h 42
Rejoint: août 2021
ummmm... they can still trade him to 19 teams (31 if they trade him now), and he has term now for a team which might want him...
rollie1967 a aimé ceci.
26 janv. 2023 à 15 h 43
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
Quoting: kjw_gm
Who is offering a first round pick on a UFA that's played 47 career NHL games? I'm certain that Alvin would have accepted such an offer if it existed.

47 games, but has 20 goals, shooting at 25% and making less than a million. Ideal rental for any team that needs a scoring winger.
mk458, CD282 et OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
26 janv. 2023 à 15 h 44
Moose
Quoting: mondo
47 games, but has 20 goals, shooting at 25% and making less than a million. Ideal rental for any team that needs a scoring winger.

Great rental player, for sure. Just not a 1st rounder, IMO.
26 janv. 2023 à 15 h 51
me wan da poonani
Mentions "j'aime": 4,243
I vote no.
In a vacuum this is likely a very good signing.
In the context of the 2023 Canucks it's a very bad one.

This decision (along with extending JT) will lock this core into yet another decade of perpetual mediocrity when what they really needed was to trade Kuzmenko for futures.

Underwhelming prospect pool, horribly flawed roster construction, no cap flexibility long-term or short-term.
If they don't luck into Bedard this summer I cannot see this core ever making a finals appearance, let alone winning the cup.
CD282 a aimé ceci.
26 janv. 2023 à 16 h 17
Nah.
Mentions "j'aime": 4,177
Modifié 27 janv. 2023 à 15 h 28
This is the epitome of “tradable.”

Good for VAN.
rollie1967, OldNYIfan et AK50 a aimé ceci.
26 janv. 2023 à 16 h 27
MajorMoose
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,602
Great contract but it's the wrong team who's signing it
26 janv. 2023 à 17 h 4
Majors and minors
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 44
Apparently the Krejci and the Bergeron and all the other players who took smaller cheques and paired it with awesome point totals didn't serve as an example?? More points, less dollars. Greater taste, fewer calories - Eat it with a fork, not a spoon. Without signing any other forwards, Canucks have already outspent their current years forwards' salaries. Shopping time for other clubs.
26 janv. 2023 à 18 h 25
Hop on the Slaftrain
Mentions "j'aime": 20,442
Quoting: SaviorX
ummmm... they can still trade him to 19 teams (31 if they trade him now), and he has term now for a team which might want him...

Pretty much all trade protection clauses are negotiated to be retroactive, so the 19 teams apply today.
26 janv. 2023 à 18 h 46
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 271
Quoting: SevenLeg
Pretty much all trade protection clauses are negotiated to be retroactive, so the 19 teams apply today.

there are no retroactive components to any NHL deal- youre talking out your ass. He can be traded to anyone under his current deal - the only one enforceable. Now they could have an agreement/handshake deal- but thats not legally binding.

This is a good deal for the Canucks- buying 2 of his best years agewise, for a guy who should get 30-40 goals /year. Doesnt make signing Horvat any easier- but if theyre going to move out anyone its more likely- Boeser and/or Garland.
Knuckl3s et Hurricanes_WPG a aimé ceci.
26 janv. 2023 à 19 h 2
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 2,275
Nice signing! I feel like he's worth even more now if they decide to trade him.
AK50 a aimé ceci.
26 janv. 2023 à 20 h 8
Hop on the Slaftrain
Mentions "j'aime": 20,442
Quoting: rollie1967
there are no retroactive components to any NHL deal- youre talking out your ass. He can be traded to anyone under his current deal - the only one enforceable. Now they could have an agreement/handshake deal- but thats not legally binding.

You're mistaken. This retroactive trade protection rule was introduced in the 2013 CBA, and it has to be negotiated.

But after further review, I was also wrong. Since Kuzmenko would not be eligible for trade protection on his current contract (Entry-level deal), this can't apply to him.

An example is Carey Price - it was negotiated in his extension that his current (at the time) M-NTC would convert into an NMC, making it retroactive. (see at the bottom)

fCyNXhB.jpg

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage