SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Minnesota Wild signed Matthew Boldy (7 Years / $7,000,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

16 janv. 2023 à 13 h 6
GM CRIME DAWG
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,687
I voted Yes, Yup, Oui, Si, Da, Yvet, Ja...
STL_Skeptic a aimé ceci.
16 janv. 2023 à 13 h 12
yotes own canada
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 746
this is so dumb why do people look at stutzles contract and say it can work but then look at this and say its an overpayment? this is an absolutely incredible contract for a future ppg 2 way scorer, never forget when everyone was saying the thompson contract was trash, yall are idiots
majormoose007 et STL_Skeptic a aimé ceci.
16 janv. 2023 à 13 h 50
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 13
This is a steal. Considering who he played most of his minutes with this year he will only get better once he has proper line mates. Not being disrespectful to Gaudreau, Steel, Walker or Hartmann but his production will take a leap when he gets more offensive skill on his line. I am projecting he will outperform his contract similar to Stützle within the next two years.
16 janv. 2023 à 14 h 6
Im just kinda here
Rejoint: avr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 97
It's a touch expensive for the buyout years, but Boldy is going to be one of the leagues best in 3-4 years. This is going to age beautiful.
Only problem is that the next two are going to be a struggle with the cap already, and this won't help
I don't care about the next two because this is going to age like Wine.
16 janv. 2023 à 14 h 9
Pop Pop
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 8,213
If he continues to develope it will be a steal of not then it could be a too much
Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
16 janv. 2023 à 15 h 43
Mentions "j'aime": 769
People on CapFriendly are all over the place. Tage scores 38 goals in a season and people don't think he deserves $7.14mm/year. Boldy scores 27 career goals and they think this is a good deal.

In a vacuum, I think this is a good deal, but MIN has some serious cap issues in the next couple years. Surprised they went this big with Boldy already. Not due to talent, just purely due to their cap situation.
16 janv. 2023 à 16 h 7
Quoting: worldwidesensei
People on CapFriendly are all over the place. Tage scores 38 goals in a season and people don't think he deserves $7.14mm/year. Boldy scores 27 career goals and they think this is a good deal.

In a vacuum, I think this is a good deal, but MIN has some serious cap issues in the next couple years. Surprised they went this big with Boldy already. Not due to talent, just purely due to their cap situation.

And just to add, this is just kind of strange. This is a contract they could have given to Fiala (albeit on a shorter term) and then have kept Boldy too (on a bridge).

I could be completely wrong, but I would have to think they could have signed Fiala to 3 X $6mm and Boldy to 2 X @ $2.5mm...or something along those lines.
SydBarrett et vmark a aimé ceci.
16 janv. 2023 à 17 h 14
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169

By age 21, Tage Thompson had played 106 games and recorded 21 points. Boldy is currently at 89 games with 68 points at age 21. When Tage signed his deal there was a lot of skepticism that he would reproduce the season he just had considering his previous track record. It's not that people are "all over the place", it's that people often vote in context at the time of a signing.
harry_wagstaff et STL_Skeptic a aimé ceci.
16 janv. 2023 à 17 h 21
Quoting: mondo
By age 21, Tage Thompson had played 106 games and recorded 21 points. Boldy is currently at 89 games with 68 points at age 21. When Tage signed his deal there was a lot of skepticism that he would reproduce the season he just had considering his previous track record. It's not that people are "all over the place", it's that people often vote in context at the time of a signing.

And the skeptics were proven wrong.
vmark a aimé ceci.
16 janv. 2023 à 17 h 23
torontos finest
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
And the skeptics were proven wrong.

Great, so you don't need to whine about it in every major signing thread.
harry_wagstaff et Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
16 janv. 2023 à 17 h 54
Quoting: mondo
Great, so you don't need to whine about it in every major signing thread.

That's rich coming from a TOR fan, when you guys are notorious for making every single hockey-related thing about you smile
16 janv. 2023 à 17 h 57
Not yet trannycided
Rejoint: févr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,012
Because Boldy has not yet played a full season, this contract is understandably high-risk. Still, the fact that it has no signing bonuses means MIN can still get away with it if it turns out to be a mistake.

I love Boldy and think that he'll end up making this look like a steal, but anything can happen.
Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
16 janv. 2023 à 17 h 58
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,198
Quoting: nintendofan721
For a 21 year old who has only played two half seasons and hasn’t got to a point per game pace yet, that’s a ridiculous cap hit!

While Robertson, a proven 40 goal scorer, is making 7.75M for 4 years 😉

Still better than the 8 year $5 million AAV which KK got.
16 janv. 2023 à 19 h 34
Steve Durbano Fan
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 44
27 goals is worth 49 million? hmm who knew. I guess this means Dumba is on the move,
16 janv. 2023 à 20 h 50
MajorMoose
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,602
This is in line with contracts like Hughes, Stutzle and Norris. If Boldy continues to improve this will be a steal
16 janv. 2023 à 23 h 1
Majors and minors
Rejoint: mai 2017
Normally, I would have said well kinda except fors: injuries etc.... however, looking closer, other players salaries are now expected to be looked at and ideas of l/term contracts in his head. Sugarplums dancing everywhere. But Mr Gustavsson is having a pretty good year going into ARB (can you mention Mr Oettinger? how 'bout Mr Sorokin). I start thinking of shopping for my team now. lol.
17 janv. 2023 à 0 h 12
IG vincemark78
Mentions "j'aime": 82
And just to add, this is just kind of strange. This is a contract they could have given to Fiala (albeit on a shorter term) and then have kept Boldy too (on a bridge).

I could be completely wrong, but I would have to think they could have signed Fiala to 3 X $6mm and Boldy to 2 X $2.5mm...or something along those lines.

I don't think Fiala would have signed a 3X6 like that. You saw what he got from LA. Boldy though, certainly could have taken less in a bridge deal. You have to think Guerin is sold on him and wanted a good price point long term. That means he thinks this will age well. I'm not convinced personally. Seems like a lot to give a player so early in his career when the standard has been a 2 to 3 year bridge at a manageable hit. Other people mentioned Stutzle and Norris deals... neither of those look great at the moment.
17 janv. 2023 à 0 h 20
IG vincemark78
Mentions "j'aime": 82

Yea I think Guerin feels like the kid is a stud so he has this being a bargain down the line. I just don't understand why he did it this early? Maybe he thinks he'll be worth way more sooner rather than later? You just have the dead cap hits of those two huge deals for two more seasons... couldn't you sign him to a lesser deal? Maybe he did some projections and it worked out best this way. I don't see Boldy being a 7M$ player, or a pp/g player any time soon (next 2+ seasons) if we're being honest. But yeah... I don't see why they didn't make a harder pitch to Fiala, sign Boldy to a bridge, and just get some assets for Dumba already.

No way they're resigning him now though, right?
17 janv. 2023 à 8 h 34
Go Jets Go
Rejoint: mars 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 4,144
I think this is a great contract for Minnesota!
17 janv. 2023 à 8 h 55
Rejoint: août 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 13
The issue with this contract is that he had one okay half a season and this season is not looking as good. So giving him this deal is an overpayment. It doesn't matter if there are some players who has been in the same situation (like Thompson) and made the deal look good after the fact. There is as many bad examples (Like Skinner)
17 janv. 2023 à 9 h 45
Rejoint: avr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 176
This is fine, not great not bad.
17 janv. 2023 à 10 h 42
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 4,562
When you sign a guy to a long term deal when he has less than 100 NHL games its a risk. Boldy so far hasn't shown anything that should be a concern as he's got 68pts in 89gp and should only get better. Still always a risk, but the cap should take a nice jump in the next 2yrs and this will look a lot better.
Upper_Body_Injury a aimé ceci.
17 janv. 2023 à 10 h 57
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 113
Modifié 17 janv. 2023 à 11 h 3
Quoting: vmark
Yea I think Guerin feels like the kid is a stud so he has this being a bargain down the line. I just don't understand why he did it this early? Maybe he thinks he'll be worth way more sooner rather than later? You just have the dead cap hits of those two huge deals for two more seasons... couldn't you sign him to a lesser deal? Maybe he did some projections and it worked out best this way. I don't see Boldy being a 7M$ player, or a pp/g player any time soon (next 2+ seasons) if we're being honest. But yeah... I don't see why they didn't make a harder pitch to Fiala, sign Boldy to a bridge, and just get some assets for Dumba already.

No way they're resigning him now though, right?

Well that was part of the problem with Fiala BG gave him a one year prove it deal and Fiala stuck it to BG by scoring 85 points which basically sealed his fate that he wasn't going to be re-signed. I think BG signed Boldy early with term to get ahead of this so it doesn't play out like Fiala. So yeah in the short term 1-2 years (buyout pain) this "looks" like a bad signing but the rest of the contract BG is counting on the cap going up and the buyouts coming off the books there will be lots of money to spend and if he can get some top 6 players to put with Boldy he will out perform this contract. But as of now his linemates aren't up to Fiala status when Boldy was producing last year. Not every player can be McDavid and be a one man show but those guys are making 10mil+

Besides there was no way Fiala was taking less than what he got in LA and there was no way for the Wild to pay that, but yeah Dumba is gone either at the TDL or we let him walk this summer unless he is willing to take a huge haircut on his contract.

Edit: I should also mention that it has been reported that BG was looking to do just a bridge deal with Boldy but both sides agreed to get a longer term deal done.
17 janv. 2023 à 18 h 6
Rejoint: déc. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 14
Anyone who voted NO on this one has obviously never watched this kid play! 🤯 great deal for both sides!
18 janv. 2023 à 10 h 45
Rejoint: mai 2018
Seems like a lot for such a small sample of NHL work, but what do I know?!? The Wild seem to like buyouts, so this should work out either way.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage