SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

New Playoff format

10 janv. 2023 à 15 h 35
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 317
Is it time for the NHL to adopt a new playoff format?

I think the NHL has too many teams for the current conference/division setup to provide meaningful divisional play and how much revenue is lost with 50% of the teams missing the playoffs?

My proposal would be to reduce the NHL season to 80 games and add a best of 5 round to the playoffs.

Teams would be rank by NHL standings (no conference/division)

Top 8 teams automaticity advance to the 2nd round

Teams 9 to 24 play in the 1st round best 5 of series

Bottom 8 teams are eliminated

After every round the teams are reseeded so that the 1st place team always plays the lowest seed.

Under the current format it takes 16-28 games to complete the playoffs under my proposal it takes 19-33 and by removing the 2 regular season games fits into the almost the same time frame
10 janv. 2023 à 15 h 56
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
I think 16 teams is fine for the playoffs. That's half the league. You could argue to minimize the number of teams in the playoffs to make the regular season more meaningful but you'd get pushback because of the revenue the playoffs generate.

Going back to the 1-8 system and reseeding the second round based on best-to-worst would make the playoffs better, in my opinion. I'd rather the teams that did better during the regular season be matched up against worse teams instead of having the run the gauntlet if they're stuck in a very competitive division.

One significant change would be the reseed the final four entirely instead of having the conference finals, so the best remaining team would play the worst remaining team. I understand why the NHL would be hesitant to do it due to travel concerns and whatnot, but it's an interesting concept none-the-less.
10 janv. 2023 à 16 h 12
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 317
Quoting: mondo
I think 16 teams is fine for the playoffs. That's half the league. You could argue to minimize the number of teams in the playoffs to make the regular season more meaningful but you'd get pushback because of the revenue the playoffs generate.

Going back to the 1-8 system and reseeding the second round based on best-to-worst would make the playoffs better, in my opinion. I'd rather the teams that did better during the regular season be matched up against worse teams instead of having the run the gauntlet if they're stuck in a very competitive division.

One significant change would be the reseed the final four entirely instead of having the conference finals, so the best remaining team would play the worst remaining team. I understand why the NHL would be hesitant to do it due to travel concerns and whatnot, but it's an interesting concept none-the-less.

For the travel concerns they can use the 2-3-2 format.

as far 1-8 vs the current format it really is not a huge difference as I have bene watching it over the last few years as many Leaf fans have bene crying about having to play BOS/Tam all the time.

See bellow based on the current standings

current

1 Car
WC1NYR

2 NJ
3 Was

1 Bos
WC2 Pitt

2 Tor
3 Tam

1-8

1 Bos
8 Pitt

2 Car
7 Tam

3 Tor
6 NYR

4 NJ
5 Was

Thanks for your input
10 janv. 2023 à 18 h 3
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,293
There should not be more teams in the playoffs, however, I do agree with Mondo that I’d like a return of the 1v8 system, now the NHL won’t do it for revenue but it would certainly be “fairer” to some teams

Ex: ( the Habs once lead the Atlantic and had about the same amount of points as NYR who were WC1, that shouldn’t really happen )
11 janv. 2023 à 10 h 46
Below Market Value
Rejoint: nov. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 1,324
I'm perfectly content with 16 teams making the playoffs. I'm also fine with the way playoff berths are determined (top 3 in each division, plus 2 wild cards per conference), but once the playoffs start I would like to see the seeding done as 1-8 for each conference. That way division play is still valuable in order to make the playoffs, but then you don't have the best teams playing each other in the earlier rounds. So it's sort of a hybrid between the current NHL system and the pre-play-in NBA system. Before the implementation of the play-in rounds, the NBA did a 1-8 conference setup, but it was just the top 8 in each conference that make the playoffs, so division play was essentially meaningless (still is even with the new play-in format); even winning your division didn't guarantee a playoff berth.

So based on points percentage of the current standings we would have:

Eastern Conference

1. Boston
8. Pittsburgh

2. Toronto
7. Washington

3. Carolina
6. NY Rangers

4. New Jersey
5. Tampa Bay

Western Conference

1. Dallas
8. Calgary

2. Vegas
7. Nashville

3. Seattle
6. Minnesota

4. Winnipeg
5. Los Angeles

And obviously with reseeding after each round.
Tintin a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage