SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Carolina Hurricanes

just saying

16 déc. 2022 à 14 h 38
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 463
These are the 5 major trades don waddell has made at the trade deadline. Notice how all the major assets have been moved for players with term. Skjei and Trocheck had the most significant assets traded for them (namely haula and the 2020 1st). Waddell's never traded top prospects or major pieces to the roster for anything at the deadline, especially not a rental. Most he's given for a rental has been depth players, mid round picks and lower tier prospects.

Now i don't disagree that the canes have a very solid prospect pool (specifically at C) and some could be moved at the deadline to strengthen the roster. But don't expect the canes to be willing to spend premium assets and higher ranking prospects in their system (morrow, drury, etc.) for rentals like horvat, that's simply not going to happen.

I think if anything, we make 1 or 2 smaller moves to strengthen our depth, think like the Domi trade at last years TDL or Vatanen a couple years ago.
16 déc. 2022 à 14 h 41
Rejoint: févr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 2,962
Just tell all the Horvat pushers you want Miller instead. They'll understand that. smile
16 déc. 2022 à 14 h 53
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,463
Gotta say the Canes have managed their cap well. They have some expiring big contracts and can fill those positions cheaper with better player.s
16 déc. 2022 à 15 h 9
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 18,153
There was a time, after the Skinner and Fox deals, when some saw Carolina as making poor moves via trade. Most of their recent ones have been solid though.

(Also, most selling teams expect far more than what the market will bear)
16 déc. 2022 à 15 h 25
mokumboi
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,075
See, this is why CF needs a thumbs up button for AGMs, as well. I never would have pieced this together from memory.
18 janv. 2023 à 22 h 10
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 539
Quoting: NHLfan10506
There was a time, after the Skinner and Fox deals, when some saw Carolina as making poor moves via trade. Most of their recent ones have been solid though.

I felt the same way about the Skinner deal. Faulk too. (That one didn’t seem as bad at the time, but it actually turned out worse because they missed on the prospect they got. At least they have Kochetkov to show for Skinner.)

I have to disagree with you on Fox though. As disappointing as it was to lose him, I don’t think there’s anything they could have done to convince him to sign with them. The signing deadline was approaching, so they would have lost him for nothing if they didn’t find somebody willing to pay for a shot at signing him before he became an unrestricted free agent – something he had refused to do with two other teams. Under those circumstances, they did well to get two 2nd-round picks for him.
18 janv. 2023 à 22 h 43
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 18,153
Quoting: jr400
I felt the same way about the Skinner deal. Faulk too. (That one didn’t seem as bad at the time, but it actually turned out worse because they missed on the prospect they got. At least they have Kochetkov to show for Skinner.)

I have to disagree with you on Fox though. As disappointing as it was to lose him, I don’t think there’s anything they could have done to convince him to sign with them. The signing deadline was approaching, so they would have lost him for nothing if they didn’t find somebody willing to pay for a shot at signing him before he became an unrestricted free agent – something he had refused to do with two other teams. Under those circumstances, they did well to get two 2nd-round picks for him.

Now, in retrospect, we know this about Fox. But at the time, it seemed like a bad deal for Carolina. There were a couple of years where CAR seemed to amass value via draft, and then give it away via trades. Most their recent moves have been good (and unexpected like Patches, Burns, etc).
18 janv. 2023 à 22 h 45
Quoting: fullblowncaniac90
These are the 5 major trades don waddell has made at the trade deadline. Notice how all the major assets have been moved for players with term. Skjei and Trocheck had the most significant assets traded for them (namely haula and the 2020 1st). Waddell's never traded top prospects or major pieces to the roster for anything at the deadline, especially not a rental. Most he's given for a rental has been depth players, mid round picks and lower tier prospects.

Now i don't disagree that the canes have a very solid prospect pool (specifically at C) and some could be moved at the deadline to strengthen the roster. But don't expect the canes to be willing to spend premium assets and higher ranking prospects in their system (morrow, drury, etc.) for rentals like horvat, that's simply not going to happen.

I think if anything, we make 1 or 2 smaller moves to strengthen our depth, think like the Domi trade at last years TDL or Vatanen a couple years ago.

You’re probably right. They do seem to prefer to wait for the off-season to make major moves. This year could be different though, because despite their lofty position in the standings, they aren’t playing as well as the last couple of years, especially on special teams, and they have some holes in their lineup that they’ll need to fill if they want to have a good shot at the cup. I don’t think they’ll empty the cupboard to go all in for one year, but their moves the last couple of years seem to indicate that they’re confident that if they let some valuable assets go, they’ll be able to find a way to replace them. Maybe something like what the Rangers did last year bringing in guys like Copp and Vatrano. They’re not stars like Horvat, but they were more than just depth players – they had a major impact on the team’s success.
18 janv. 2023 à 23 h 30
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Now, in retrospect, we know this about Fox. But at the time, it seemed like a bad deal for Carolina. There were a couple of years where CAR seemed to amass value via draft, and then give it away via trades. Most their recent moves have been good (and unexpected like Patches, Burns, etc).

My view of the Fox trade was not retrospective. Everything I said about it was known at the time. The reason the Canes were able to get his rights in the first place was that he refused to sign with Calgary. He was doing the same thing with Carolina, so they had to let him go. What we didn’t know at the time was that he was going to win the Norris trophy, so if anything the retrospective view should be more negative than the way we saw it at the time of the trade.

I agree with you about them seeming a little too willing to trade away good prospects that they had accumulated through the draft and developed in the AHL, but I don’t put Fox in that category because his was a unique situation. This tactic doesn’t seem to have cost them though. After getting rid of a lot of the key players from their AHL champion team in Charlotte, they rebuilt it pretty quickly and won another Calder Cup last year.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage