Forums/Armchair-GM

Direction of the team

Créé par: pensfan21
Équipe: 2022-23 Penguins de Pittsburgh
Date de création initiale: 17 nov. 2022
Publié: 17 nov. 2022
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
My question for everyone is what direction you see this team going in and what direction you think it should go in the future. I fear that our window has closed already. Maybe we make playoffs, but I don't believe we will contend. I think we should start to trade some pieces for draft picks. Comment below what you think we should do and what the returns would be for some of our star guys.
Rachats de contrats
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de NJD
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de FLA
Logo de TOR
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2282 500 000 $77 010 592 $0 $0 $5 489 408 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Penguins de Pittsburgh
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
AG, AD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
8 700 000 $8 700 000 $
C
NMC
UFA - 3
5 125 000 $5 125 000 $
AD, AG
NMC
UFA - 6
5 500 000 $5 500 000 $
AG, AD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
6 100 000 $6 100 000 $
C
NMC
UFA - 4
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
AD, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 6
2 750 000 $2 750 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 3
3 125 000 $3 125 000 $
AD, C
NMC
UFA - 2
3 200 000 $3 200 000 $
AD
UFA - 2
1 000 000 $1 000 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
2 200 000 $2 200 000 $
C, AG
UFA - 1
900 000 $900 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 1
750 000 $750 000 $
C, AG
UFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
4 100 000 $4 100 000 $
DG
M-NTC
UFA - 1
2 343 750 $2 343 750 $
DD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
G
UFA - 1
4 025 175 $4 025 175 $
DG
UFA - 3
6 100 000 $6 100 000 $
DD
NMC
UFA - 6
1 800 000 $1 800 000 $
G
UFA - 2
2 750 000 $2 750 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 3
800 000 $800 000 $
DD
UFA - 2
825 000 $825 000 $
DG
RFA - 2

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
17 nov. 2022 à 18 h 32
Just Keep Swimming
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,554
It's about time that PGH was gifted another superstar centre...
Sid,Geno,Bedard will be sick
17 nov. 2022 à 18 h 55
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,173
As long as Sid, Geno and Letang are around, this team wont rebuild.
If we are out of the playoff race by the deadline, then I can see us selling the expiring pieces, but I would expect us to make moves to be competitive by next year again.
Imagine874859 a aimé ceci.
17 nov. 2022 à 21 h 14
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: juin 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 1,271
Quoting: Marcsnack
As long as Sid, Geno and Letang are around, this team wont rebuild.
If we are out of the playoff race by the deadline, then I can see us selling the expiring pieces, but I would expect us to make moves to be competitive by next year again.

I don't think we should have brought the core back tbh
17 nov. 2022 à 21 h 14
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Random2152
It's about time that PGH was gifted another superstar centre...
Sid,Geno,Bedard will be sick

I'm so hyped for it
18 nov. 2022 à 10 h 21
Rejoint: mai 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 997
I wouldn't sound the alarm yet. They've never been a team that particularly starts fast and they're only 3 points out of a playoff spot with a game in hand. They finally made the necessary changes - dropping Dumo and swapping Rust/Rakell. With the top 6 configured this way I think they're 4-0-1 with 26 goals - could be wrong but close to that. I don't think they look good, don't get me wrong - but I can easily see them finishing in like 3rd place and who knows what happens in the playoffs. As we've seen the past couple of years as Pens fans sometimes you don't have to be the better team - just get some lucky bounces, timely goals and saves.

If you think the window is closed though my opinion is blow the whole thing up. No reason in just trading some pieces and keeping some. Dump everyone for as many picks as you can get.
18 nov. 2022 à 10 h 42
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 994
They have 65 more games this season and are 3-1-1 in their last 5. This "the sky is falling trade everyone" crap is so annoying. The core was re-signed to win again and will not be split up.
18 nov. 2022 à 20 h 26
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: JSEB93
I wouldn't sound the alarm yet. They've never been a team that particularly starts fast and they're only 3 points out of a playoff spot with a game in hand. They finally made the necessary changes - dropping Dumo and swapping Rust/Rakell. With the top 6 configured this way I think they're 4-0-1 with 26 goals - could be wrong but close to that. I don't think they look good, don't get me wrong - but I can easily see them finishing in like 3rd place and who knows what happens in the playoffs. As we've seen the past couple of years as Pens fans sometimes you don't have to be the better team - just get some lucky bounces, timely goals and saves.

If you think the window is closed though my opinion is blow the whole thing up. No reason in just trading some pieces and keeping some. Dump everyone for as many picks as you can get.

I see what your saying 100%. I don't doubt that they might make playoffs. I think it is way more in doubt this year with younger teams like Devils Rangers and some Atlantic teams rising up, but I could see them getting third. The issue is I don't see them making a run in the playoffs. At the absolute most I think they win one round if they get the right opponent. But I don't think they'll be able to keep up with other teams. Old teams just don't win the cup. It's been like that since the early 2000s. To me its not worth it if we don't have a good shot at cup, even if we can maybe make playoffs. I think Hextall really messed up bringing back an older team, so I would honestly consider blowing it up. The window could have been extended, but I feel Hextall closed it.
18 nov. 2022 à 20 h 32
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: brgh4life
They have 65 more games this season and are 3-1-1 in their last 5. This "the sky is falling trade everyone" crap is so annoying. The core was re-signed to win again and will not be split up.

What I'm saying is I don't think it was the best idea to bring to core back in the first place. Since the TDL last year we have been 16-20-5. This is not a rough patch its a worrying trend that has been going on for half a seasons worth of games. Maybe we manage to get into playoffs, but old teams do not win cups. We would not go far, so at that point its not worth it to prolong the rebuild for a few years of mediocrity. It's been true since early 2000s that you can't win with an old team, and it's even more true now with how fast the game is and has evolved.
18 nov. 2022 à 21 h 31
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 994
Quoting: pensfan21
What I'm saying is I don't think it was the best idea to bring to core back in the first place. Since the TDL last year we have been 16-20-5. This is not a rough patch its a worrying trend that has been going on for half a seasons worth of games. Maybe we manage to get into playoffs, but old teams do not win cups. We would not go far, so at that point its not worth it to prolong the rebuild for a few years of mediocrity. It's been true since early 2000s that you can't win with an old team, and it's even more true now with how fast the game is and has evolved.

They are actually 18-20-5, including a playoff series that went 7 games multiple OTs with a 3rd string goalie against a vezina goalie (amongst other injuries). The core isn't the issue, it's the depth. The team has had a rough start by 2 members of the core (Letand and Rust). Both will easily bounce back. The depth and special teams need addressed, but Blueger does a good job impacting the 4th line and the PK.

Finally, this core has earned the right to finish together.
18 nov. 2022 à 21 h 45
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: brgh4life
They are actually 18-20-5, including a playoff series that went 7 games multiple OTs with a 3rd string goalie against a vezina goalie (amongst other injuries). The core isn't the issue, it's the depth. The team has had a rough start by 2 members of the core (Letand and Rust). Both will easily bounce back. The depth and special teams need addressed, but Blueger does a good job impacting the 4th line and the PK.

Finally, this core has earned the right to finish together.

I believe we should do what is best for the team. We're 17-20-5, I forgot to include the most recent win, but still not great. Team looked slow to end the season and looks the same way now. Like I said old teams don't win cups. The easiest way to get the team younger was to not bring back the core. I was hesitant about it, didn't think it was best for the team, but the nostalgic side of me wanted them all back, as obviously they're three of my favorite players of all time. However, I always believed if we decided to bring back the core we absolutely had to surround them with youth and speed. The core plays best when surrounded by fast players and youth, that's how we won the cup in 2016. Instead, Hextall re-signed Carter (before the core even were negotiated), Kapanen (horrible contract), and traded two young, faster D for two older, slower D in Rutta (pretty good, but unecessary) and Petrey (not good). His whole task this offseason was to give our D a better net front precense, but he failed badly as it's even worse now. If not for his moves he made for depth and on D, we could have had a guy like Neidereiter, Marchment, Anthanasiou, or even Nichushkin as a bigger one. While I am hesitant as to whether the core would win another one in general, I do agree that our lack of depth is not doing us any favors. Our bottom 6 is just awful and our D is atrocious and slow as well besides Pettersson and POJ. My concern is how to we even fix the depth? Kapanen untradeable, Carter locked in. I don't know if there's a way to make this team faster, and if we don't I believe we have no shot. Maybe we can play a trap? I just don't know, don't see any real solutions which is why I am leaning towards just doing the rebuild now. I see what your saying for sure, but I feel like Hextalls poor management of this roster closed the window sooner than it had to be.
21 nov. 2022 à 9 h 59
I see what your saying 100%. I don't doubt that they might make playoffs. I think it is way more in doubt this year with younger teams like Devils Rangers and some Atlantic teams rising up, but I could see them getting third. The issue is I don't see them making a run in the playoffs. At the absolute most I think they win one round if they get the right opponent. But I don't think they'll be able to keep up with other teams. Old teams just don't win the cup. It's been like that since the early 2000s. To me its not worth it if we don't have a good shot at cup, even if we can maybe make playoffs. I think Hextall really messed up bringing back an older team, so I would honestly consider blowing it up. The window could have been extended, but I feel Hextall closed it.

I agree it's definitely more in doubt for sure. Not only do they look worse but there seem to be more better teams in the Metro and the East overall like you said. I guess the glass half full guy in me would say the Caps and Rangers aren't looking too great either - and I expect the Islanders and Devils to have some kind of pull back haha. But the rational part of me thinks the Isles fall out and the Pens are looking at 4th - maybe 3rd like you said.

Who knows man - I mean I don't either, but the last few years I did and look what happened haha. So many times it just comes down to who is healthy and whos goalie is hot and getting some lucky bounces(or helmets ripped off). I think as long as they can get in anything can happen. I'm not sure I would go that far though - both Lightning teams, the Blues, and the 2nd penguins cup had rosters that were all top 8 for oldest rosters.
That's 4 of the last 6 - so It's possible.

I guess I just don't see how it could have been extended. Who are they signing to extend it? There was nobody better to sign than Malkin or Letang - maybe you find someone better than Rust and Rakell? Not sure about that though. If you wanted to keep the window open I think you had to sign those players - it's the other moves that sucked. The only other option was trading everyone/letting them go - but then you don't get anything for Letang, Malkin, Rust or Rakell which also sucks
21 nov. 2022 à 10 h 11
Démarrer sujet
I agree it's definitely more in doubt for sure. Not only do they look worse but there seem to be more better teams in the Metro and the East overall like you said. I guess the glass half full guy in me would say the Caps and Rangers aren't looking too great either - and I expect the Islanders and Devils to have some kind of pull back haha. But the rational part of me thinks the Isles fall out and the Pens are looking at 4th - maybe 3rd like you said.

Who knows man - I mean I don't either, but the last few years I did and look what happened haha. So many times it just comes down to who is healthy and whos goalie is hot and getting some lucky bounces(or helmets ripped off). I think as long as they can get in anything can happen. I'm not sure I would go that far though - both Lightning teams, the Blues, and the 2nd penguins cup had rosters that were all top 8 for oldest rosters.
That's 4 of the last 6 - so It's possible.

I guess I just don't see how it could have been extended. Who are they signing to extend it? There was nobody better to sign than Malkin or Letang - maybe you find someone better than Rust and Rakell? Not sure about that though. If you wanted to keep the window open I think you had to sign those players - it's the other moves that sucked. The only other option was trading everyone/letting them go - but then you don't get anything for Letang, Malkin, Rust or Rakell which also sucks

I think the real biggest issue is the trades he made on D and the bottom 6. The Marino trade I honestly didn't mind a ton, freeed up cap space and got us a young guy. But the Matheson Petrey trade I thought really made no sense at all. The Carter contract I thought was awful as it made the team older. That is a spot we could've filled with someone younger, like Domi for the same price. And then the Kapanen contract was the real dagger. I think instead of signing Carter and Kapanen plus take away the Petrey trade (8 mil more space), could've gotten maybe like Domi and Marchment for some more youth, speed, and a guy who plays with an edge. That's what our bottom 6 should be like I think. Then the rest could have filled out with Poulin, Hallander, and AHL guys. I was hesitant about the core coming back and the window still being open, but I was fine with it as long as we surrounded the core with youth. But Hextall making the team older this offseason and bad signings I really feel will catch up to us.
JSEB93 a aimé ceci.
21 nov. 2022 à 10 h 47
Modifié 21 nov. 2022 à 10 h 52
I think the real biggest issue is the trades he made on D and the bottom 6. The Marino trade I honestly didn't mind a ton, freeed up cap space and got us a young guy. But the Matheson Petrey trade I thought really made no sense at all. The Carter contract I thought was awful as it made the team older. That is a spot we could've filled with someone younger, like Domi for the same price. And then the Kapanen contract was the real dagger. I think instead of signing Carter and Kapanen plus take away the Petrey trade (8 mil more space), could've gotten maybe like Domi and Marchment for some more youth, speed, and a guy who plays with an edge. That's what our bottom 6 should be like I think. Then the rest could have filled out with Poulin, Hallander, and AHL guys. I was hesitant about the core coming back and the window still being open, but I was fine with it as long as we surrounded the core with youth. But Hextall making the team older this offseason and bad signings I really feel will catch up to us.

Oh for sure - that's exactly what I meant by the other moves. I didn't mind the Marino trade either for the cap space - but then he turned right around and used that cap space and and Matheson to get Petry - which then ruined the Marino trade for me lol. I don't like the Carter signing, and he needs to play better, but I'm in the minority because I don't think it's really costing the team. 3rd line centers who are good in the circle and score 50 points don't just grow on trees - but his defense and possession numbers need to improve. Ironically the Heinen/Carter/Kap line was pretty decent. Plus I was talking more of just this past offseason, didn't want to go down the rabbit hole of past moves like McCann lol. Yeah the Kapanen one is just brutal - mainly because everybody knew it was bad at the time too. Again, I don't think we can count Carter since he was already signed before this offseason. I'm trying to stick to what he could have done this offseason. I would love Domi or Marchment or Athanasiou - I was screaming for Marchement and Athanasiou lol - but Marchment got PAID. I just don't see any better options than bringing back the core and Rust and Rakell. It's just the other moves that we terrible.
21 nov. 2022 à 10 h 54
Démarrer sujet
Oh for sure - that's exactly what I meant by the other moves. I didn't mind the Marino trade either for the cap space - but then he turned right around and used that cap space and and Matheson to get Petry - which then ruined the Marino trade for me lol. I don't like the Carter signing, and he needs to play better, but I'm in the minority because I don't think it's really costing the team. 3rd line centers who are good in the circle and score 50 points don't just grow on trees - but his defense and possession numbers need to improve. Ironically the Heinen/Carter/Kap line was pretty decent. Plus I was talking more of just this past offseason, didn't want to go down the rabbit hole of past moves like McCann lol. Yeah the Kapanen one is just brutal - mainly because everybody knew it was bad at the time too. Again, I don't think we can count Carter since he was already signed before this offseason. I'm trying to stick to what he could have done this offseason. I would love Domi or Marchment or Athanasiou - I was screaming for Marchement and Athanasiou lol. I just don't see any better options than bringing back the core and Rust and Rakell. It's just the other moves that we terrible.

Yeah I mean I've been back and forwarth on the core. I think it's pretty obvious bringing back Malkin was the right decision. Letang though for 6 years is pretty brutal. He could turn it around, but I think tbd if it was a good move. Not bad to bring him back, but 6 years for a 35 year old player I think is really really rough. What do you think we do at trade deadline? I would love to get Anthanasiou and I think he could be had for a 3rd. He was flying last night. Domi I think maybe free agency next year we can get.
JSEB93 a aimé ceci.
21 nov. 2022 à 11 h 47
Modifié 21 nov. 2022 à 12 h 1
Yeah I mean I've been back and forwarth on the core. I think it's pretty obvious bringing back Malkin was the right decision. Letang though for 6 years is pretty brutal. He could turn it around, but I think tbd if it was a good move. Not bad to bring him back, but 6 years for a 35 year old player I think is really really rough. What do you think we do at trade deadline? I would love to get Anthanasiou and I think he could be had for a 3rd. He was flying last night. Domi I think maybe free agency next year we can get.

Yeah the length is rough for sure. I think the thought is the team is going to suck in years 5 and 6 of that deal anyways - so you give the length to lower the AAV for now. In a perfect world Geno and Letang would have signed for this AAV for 3 years to match Crosbys contract - but athletes want that money. It's easy in hindsight to say it's a bad contract since he's not playing well now - but he was just coming off one of his best seasons ever so it made sense at the time. So personally I can't fault Hextall for that. I think he'll turn it around and honestly I'm not sure how that 6mil would be better spent on defense.

I honestly have no idea what they'll do - but I am a huge Athansiou fan. I had him in most of my offseason mocks. If he can be had for a 3rd it should 100% be done. It's obvious speed/transition game and bottom 6 is what we need - and he fits that perfectly. I think the top 6 is pretty set - and Blueger has the 4th line looking great. Just need a 3rd line and D improvement maybe? I'm still in favor of 100% win now mode so pretty much any picks or prospects I would be open to giving up for a player. I just don't know what cap space would look like. Would step one be dumping Dumo or Kap for cap space? The Kap decision needs to happen soon - like play the guy or get rid of him.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage