SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2022-23 NHL Season Discussion Thread #5: Montreal’s youngster wonders

16 nov. 2022 à 10 h 41
Kansler
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 228
Bobcat205 any idea which Dman is going to QB your powerplay if Bean is out?
Cant find a straight fit, guessing Gavrikov cant do that as well?
16 nov. 2022 à 10 h 45
cautious optimism
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5,753
Quoting: HelmutCool
Bobcat205 any idea which Dman is going to QB your powerplay if Bean is out?
Cant find a straight fit, guessing Gavrikov cant do that as well?

I would assume Jake Christiansen takes that job, since he's an OFD and was playing on the PP last night on the second unit.

As for who takes his spot on the second... Marcus Bjork?

Gavi's a pure penalty kill guy. Him on the power play doesn't really sound good.
HelmutCool a aimé ceci.
16 nov. 2022 à 10 h 48
Craig Laughlin Fan
Rejoint: nov. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 5,732
Quoting: Bobcat205
I would assume Jake Christiansen takes that job, since he's an OFD and was playing on the PP last night on the second unit.

Gavi's a pure penalty kill guy. Him on the power play doesn't really sound good.

Maybe roll 5 forwards on PP2 at this point?
Bobcat205 et zk97 a aimé ceci.
16 nov. 2022 à 10 h 50
cautious optimism
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
Maybe roll 5 forwards on PP2 at this point?

That might be what we have to do, as much as i don't like that idea...
16 nov. 2022 à 10 h 56
Kansler
Mentions "j'aime": 228

Christiansens AHL stats from last season suggest he saw some PP time.
Guessing he might be a fit. Bjorks stats are somewhat unimpressive from SHL.
16 nov. 2022 à 11 h 1
Hop on the Slaftrain
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 20,485
I really can't wait until Jonathan Drouin wears another team's jersey. Those six seasons have been such a mess for both parties involved.
16 nov. 2022 à 11 h 2
Craig Laughlin Fan
That might be what we have to do, as much as i don't like that idea...

(going off of Daily Faceoff here), perhaps 5 forwards isn't truly feasible for CBJ:

PP1: Johnson, Jenner, Nyquist, Gaudreau, Christansen
PP2: Chinakov, Sillinger, Bemstrom, Foudy, Robinson

Looks far too rough. Without Bean, I guess it could end up being Bjork. Maybe Jiricek could get a chance if he gets the call up, but that whole PP looks scuffed to say the least.
16 nov. 2022 à 11 h 3
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: SevenLeg
I really can't wait until Jonathan Drouin wears another team's jersey. Those six seasons have been such a mess for both parties involved.

Hey Shaq, where is Jonathan Drouin going to play next year?

capsfan2121, Bobcat205, SnakeDelilah and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
16 nov. 2022 à 11 h 12
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I mean, it’s a bit early for that, especially when he’s a very good player and right now CBJ’s injured to hell and back

I was talking more in the sense that he's a bit of a redundancy with Bratt and Hughes. Devils top six is already pretty small. I'm not saying he's not a super-talented player, as we've all seen. I just don't think Bratt would be breaking out like this is Johnny was here, too.
16 nov. 2022 à 11 h 18
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
Bertuzzi is gone after this season, right? Maybe at the TDL? He had a really nice season last year, but I'm not sure he's part of the long term plan.
DucharmetheDOMinator a aimé ceci.
16 nov. 2022 à 11 h 34
cautious optimism
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
Hey Shaq, where is Jonathan Drouin going to play next year?

Man, i haven't seen that meme in god knows how long...

(on an unrelated note, how did you get a youtube link with an underscore in it to work? it never works for me)
yikes a aimé ceci.
16 nov. 2022 à 18 h 10
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,878
Its gonna be interesting to see where EK ends up

While he is producting there are some problems we need to acknowledge

1. Injury History

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/erik-karlsson-player-injuries

2. Cap hit

Is San Jose really willing to retain 50% for 4.5 years as no competitors will go yeah we will take the entire cap hit.

3. Age

How many good years is said team getting before he becomes an issue or anchor
16 nov. 2022 à 18 h 18
Hakuna Matata
Gonna lay down a random fun fact

Anaheim has not won in regulation this year
justaBoss, oilersguy, Tintin and 2 others a aimé ceci.
16 nov. 2022 à 18 h 25
EklundCelebriniSmith
Mentions "j'aime": 12,817
Modifié 17 nov. 2022 à 6 h 5
Quoting: aadoyle

1. Injury History

2. Cap hit

Is San Jose really willing to retain 50% for 4.5 years as no competitors will go yeah we will take the entire cap hit.

3. Age

I’d say SJS eats it down to 9.5 (2mil) and gets help 1-2 more for a 7.5 to 8.5 mil cap hit. I’d be shocked if Grier doesn’t get an A level prospect at that point. His previous moves were clearly base setting and making an impact.

You can’t trade Karlsson, with dead cap plus Burns’ dead cap and accept someone like Denisenko and a 2nd. If he does the Sharks are doomed to start a new rebuild in 2025 when he’s fired.

I doubt Karlsson is actually traded because you can only move him (just set the Sharks record for points to start a season passing Nolan), for a “SELL WHILE HIGH” value. Which is going to require a lot of moving party’s to go in SJS favour.

I standby this LOUDLY; If you’re trading him you’re doing it to be a trade you want on the top of your resume. You’re not trading Karlsson just because Floridas giving you a late pick and a 4th liner. You can just keep him lmao?

I honestly believe there’s a 30% chance Karlsson doesn’t make it to 35, with m a 70% chance he makes it to 35 still putting up over 60 points/ 82 game pace. Doubtful he consistently clears 82RGames; but not many players do. I’d say if he can play 50-60 regular games plus the playoffs after very you’re happy (kinda like Kawhi).
capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.
16 nov. 2022 à 18 h 45
EklundCelebriniSmith
Hockeys is close to the toughest sport next to combat MMA. Maybe rugbys in there somewhere.

But I think a lot of people judge some players far to harshly; including myself. @McGruff help bring this thought to fruition last night when he was defending Carter.

Some players just can’t handle 82-100+ games of hockey/ their sport. This isn’t comparing any sports so WERE NOT HAVING THAT DISCUSSION. But many NBA Super Stars will never play close to a full season. Many football players will sit out a couple weeks once they know their team is comfortable situated in their division.

Some players just can’t handle it.

I get Karlsson has a more severe injuries resume than some humans. Not even talking about him directly. But part of the reason I wasn’t support a Carter HOF case cause I was so stuck on his points and games played.

“Oh well I mean he’s got 30 points this season that’s kinda bad, and never consistently at a point per game”.. but as Gruff said (along with other points for Carter); was *paraphrasing* it’s not just about the points or his totals. Carter was there when it mattered. And also; put his team in positions to succeed.

To now loop back to Karl; I believe Karlsson has proven, earned, and still does earn the respect that he can win steal you games.
16 nov. 2022 à 18 h 55
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: yikes
Hockeys is close to the toughest sport next to combat MMA. Maybe rugbys in there somewhere.

But I think a lot of people judge some players far to harshly; including myself. McGruff help bring this thought to fruition last night when he was defending Carter.

Some players just can’t handle 82-100+ games of hockey/ their sport. This isn’t comparing any sports so WERE NOT HAVING THAT DISCUSSION. But many NBA Super Stars will never play close to a full season. Many football players will sit out a couple weeks once they know their team is comfortable situated in their division.

Some players just can’t handle it.

I get Karlsson has a more severe injuries resume than some humans. Not even talking about him directly. But part of the reason I wasn’t support a Carter HOF case cause I was so stuck on his points and games played.

“Oh well I mean he’s got 30 points this season that’s kinda bad, and never consistently at a point per game”.. but as Gruff said (along with other points for Carter); was *paraphrasing* it’s not just about the points or his totals. Carter was there when it mattered. And also; put his team in positions to succeed.

To now loop back to Karl; I believe Karlsson has proven, earned, and still does earn the respect that he can win steal you games.

I think you got to eat around 4mill for teams to go maybe. As if thats done hes owed 7.5mill for the remainder. As not many competitive teams can fit 9.5mill
16 nov. 2022 à 19 h 23
EklundCelebriniSmith
I think you got to eat around 4mill for teams to go maybe. As if thats done hes owed 7.5mill for the remainder. As not many competitive teams can fit 9.5mill

Oh yeah, he’s not going anywhere till I see an 8. (It’s why I think talking about Karlsson IRL only starts around 7-8.5 with GM’s in certain situations).
He’s worth 8 “sure”, but right now in this capped league you want your 8’s to be a steal. Hertl is great at 8 but you could show someone Jason Robertson and it makes you want Karlsson at 7 even more. He will only be traded to a team that thinks they can win something LEGITIMATELY, no not Ottawa those rumours are dumb. We’re also going to have to see a SIZEABLE swap out. I think a team would try to move minimum a 3/4m AAV with term.
16 nov. 2022 à 19 h 54
What in tarnation
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 31,449
Gonna lay down a random fun fact

Anaheim has not won in regulation this year

Bedard to Orange County

Honestly Bedard-Zegras would be the future equivalent of McDavid-Draisaitl and Crosby-Malkin. Like holy sh*t.
16 nov. 2022 à 19 h 57
What in tarnation
Quoting: yikes
I’d say SJS eats it down to 9.5 (2mil) and gets help 1-2 more for a 7.5 to 8.5 mil cap hit. I’d be shocked if Grier doesn’t get an A level prospect at that point. His previous moves were clearly base setting and making an impact.

You can’t trade Karlsson, with dead cap plus Burns’ dead cap and accept someone like Denisenko and a 2nd. If he does the Sharks are doomed to start a new rebuild in 2025 when he’s fired.

I doubt Karlsson is actually traded because you can only move him (just set the Sharks record for points to start a season passing Nolan), for a “SELL WHILE HIGH” value. Which is going to require a lot of moving party’s to go in SJS favour.

I standby this LOUDLY; If you’re trading him you’re doing it to be a trade you want on the top of your resume. You’re not trading Karlsson just because Floridas giving you a late pick and a 4th liner. You can just keep him lmao?

I honestly believe there’s a 35% chance Karlsson doesn’t make it to 35, with m a 75% chance he makes it to 35 still putting up over 60 points/ 82 game pace. Doubtful he consistently clears 82RGames; but not many players do. I’d say if he can play 50-60 regular games plus the playoffs after very you’re happy (kinda like Kawhi).

35% chance to not making it, but 75% chance to making it laugh

Karlsson truly is a 110% player so I agree with this sentiment.
yikes et zk97 a aimé ceci.
16 nov. 2022 à 19 h 57
Tintin over 1122
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 10,166
Conor Sheary is worth a second

My bad, meant second
16 nov. 2022 à 20 h 3
v5 Minnesota GM
Rejoint: janv. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 4,683
Quoting: capsfan2121
Conor Sheary is worth a second

My bad, meant second

nO tHe bEsT He CAn fETch iS a 4Th
16 nov. 2022 à 20 h 5
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: justaBoss
Bedard to Orange County

Honestly Bedard-Zegras would be the future equivalent of McDavid-Draisaitl and Crosby-Malkin. Like holy sh*t.

I feel its in end gonna be between Anaheim and Columbus with Arizona peeking in
16 nov. 2022 à 20 h 17
What in tarnation
Modifié 16 nov. 2022 à 20 h 22

1. Injury History

2. Cap hit

3. Age

Majority of Karlsson's injury history is lower body injuries. Now, assuming that doesn't mean knee injuries, those are sustainable, he can return to full health from this sort of injury bug.

Karlsson is 32 with four and a half years left on his contract. That means he'd be 37 at the end of the contract. Not an impossible feat, there's plenty of examples who have been able to play at relatively solid level even at that age.

Imo the cap hit the biggest issue. Don't see any way of SJ retaining 50%, but it's not unheard of teams retaining up to 15-25% of a contract in order to make it feasible for other teams. Naturally due to EK's contract being so massive cap wise, SJ is likely required to eat some bad contracts, effectively making the deal Ekman-Larsson trade esque.

Now if you wanted me to name you a team that might look into Karlsson, I'd take a gander at Pittsburgh or Washington. These teams have assets to "dump" to SJ to create that needed cap space, and are in need to strengthen their team to make their cup window wider. Karlsson's term coincide relatively well with the likes of Crosby and Ovechkin, and the RHD core of Karlsson, Letang and Petry / Karlsson, Carlson and Jensen look extremely strong.

Pens could offer SJ Zucker and Kapanen, maybe Joseph to boot, alongside few picks to make the cap work if SJ retain 15-20% of EK's contract. With WSH it gets a bit trickier, but Eller is definitely in play, as well as futures. In order for that to work though, Bäckström can not come back.

Still, if I was a betting man and I had full knowledge that SJ plans to sell Karlsson and he agrees to being moved, I'd bet on Erik Karlsson being a Penguin a year from now.
capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.
16 nov. 2022 à 20 h 21
Tintin over 1122
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 10,166
wsh getting karlsson would be awesome. we would need to trade mantha and eller.
16 nov. 2022 à 20 h 23
What in tarnation
Quoting: capsfan2121
wsh getting karlsson would be awesome. we would need to trade mantha and eller.

Seeing how much you complain about WSH being crap defensively, I doubt you'd enjoy getting Karlsson for long
DucharmetheDOMinator, Saskleaf, HelmutCool and 1 other person a aimé ceci.

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage