Forums/Armchair-GM

dubas saves his job

Créé par: edubzzz
Équipe: 2022-23 Maple Leafs de Toronto
Date de création initiale: 2 nov. 2022
Publié: 2 nov. 2022
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
everyone relax, I know this doesn't happen in any world but is this something like what the deal would look like? Late night at work and got thinking about this.
Transactions
SEA
  1. Abruzzese, Nick
  2. Anderson, Joey
  3. Holl, Justin
  4. Holmberg, Pontus
  5. Kerfoot, Alexander
  6. Choix de 1e ronde en 2023 (TOR)
  7. Choix de 2e ronde en 2024 (TOR)
TOR
  1. Choix de 5e ronde en 2023 (NYR)
  2. Choix de 4e ronde en 2025 (WPG)
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de TOR
Logo de OTT
Logo de TOR
Logo de NYR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de OTT
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de WPG
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2282 500 000 $78 944 579 $212 500 $0 $3 555 421 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
950 000 $950 000 $
AG
UFA - 1
11 640 250 $11 640 250 $
C
UFA - 2
10 903 000 $10 903 000 $
AD
UFA - 3
796 667 $796 667 $
AG, AD
RFA - 2
11 000 000 $11 000 000 $
C, AG
NMC
UFA - 3
6 962 366 $6 962 366 $
AD
UFA - 2
Logo de Kraken de Seattle
5 166 666 $5 166 666 $
C, AG, AD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
2 100 000 $2 100 000 $
AD, C, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 4
1 000 000 $1 000 000 $
AD
UFA - 1
840 630 $840 630 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
C
UFA - 1
900 000 $900 000 $
AD, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
7 500 000 $7 500 000 $
DG
NMC
UFA - 8
Logo de Kraken de Seattle
4 000 000 $4 000 000 $
DD
NTC
UFA - 3
1 800 000 $1 800 000 $
G
UFA - 1
1 400 000 $1 400 000 $
DG
UFA - 2
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG/DD
NTC
UFA - 2
750 000 $750 000 $
G
UFA - 1
800 000 $800 000 $
DG
UFA - 2
1 400 000 $1 400 000 $
DD
RFA - 2
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
750 000 $750 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1
762 500 $762 500 $
AG
UFA - 2
5 625 000 $5 625 000 $
DG
NTC
UFA - 2
810 000 $810 000 $
DG
UFA - 1
4 687 500 $4 687 500 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
2 nov. 2022 à 2 h 5
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 6,101
Pulls out calculator....

Still $48M in cap allocated to 5 players.

Nope, still fired.
Not_Isles5513 a aimé ceci.
2 nov. 2022 à 2 h 12
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2
Never heard this argument before.... also a great point! The leafs have paid their star players therefore they should fire their gm. I agree! Would love to see what you would do?
2 nov. 2022 à 2 h 21
1GarthSnowFan
Rejoint: déc. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,799
Quoting: edubzzz
Never heard this argument before.... also a great point! The leafs have paid their star players therefore they should fire their gm. I agree! Would love to see what you would do?

they should do whatever they need to do in order to keep Mathews. Otherwise they r ****ed.
edubzzz a aimé ceci.
2 nov. 2022 à 2 h 29
Future Ducks legend
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,046
You're trying to throw 5 meh players/prospects into a shotgun and aim it at Seattle in the hopes that a 1st and a 2nd not only buys the two guys you want but also unloads a bunch of spare parts on your roster.

Seattle is going to want better prospects than Abruzesse, Holmburg, and Anderson.
poeticentropy a aimé ceci.
2 nov. 2022 à 2 h 30

Not top load the roster and put my team in cap hell. After they signed Tavares, they couldn't afford to give both Marner and Matthews 8-figure contracts. They should have picked the one they wanted to keep and traded the other for 4 or 5 top quality assets.

FYI, I said this even before the Marner contract was signed.
2 nov. 2022 à 2 h 45
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 7,852
Quoting: tkecanuck341
Not top load the roster and put my team in cap hell. After they signed Tavares, they couldn't afford to give both Marner and Matthews 8-figure contracts. They should have picked the one they wanted to keep and traded the other for 4 or 5 top quality assets.

FYI, I said this even before the Marner contract was signed.

That said they shouldn't have given Tavares 11M. He wants to come play for his home town team Toronto should have offered him 8M max. I know he was probably worth it at the time but they knew they had other players to sign. If he didn't accept them move on and use that money elsewhere.
2 nov. 2022 à 3 h 0
Quoting: Lancebmx
That said they shouldn't have given Tavares 11M. He wants to come play for his home town team Toronto should have offered him 8M max. I know he was probably worth it at the time but they knew they had other players to sign. If he didn't accept them move on and use that money elsewhere.

In hindsight, that was probably the first of bad decisions, but that was the decision he made at the time. He gave out the NMC and was stuck with it. After that, he couldn't afford to give out two more, so he should have chosen one.
Britishbulldog a aimé ceci.
2 nov. 2022 à 5 h 49
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 1,265
Ahl forwards like Abruzzese,Anderson ,Holmberg aren’t trade pieces they have very little value
Mr_Canoehead a aimé ceci.
2 nov. 2022 à 6 h 45
Owly
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 932

Here come all the classic, "I would have squeezed the stars to take way less like Colorado did with MacKinnon" despite him being a 50 point player for 2 of his 3 ELC years and also the 1st year of his last contract.
edubzzz a aimé ceci.
2 nov. 2022 à 7 h 9
MisstheWhalers
Rejoint: janv. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 12,308
That doesn't get those guys from Seattle.
2 nov. 2022 à 13 h 15
Quoting: Logan_Ollivier
Here come all the classic, "I would have squeezed the stars to take way less like Colorado did with MacKinnon" despite him being a 50 point player for 2 of his 3 ELC years and also the 1st year of his last contract.

I didn't say that. Players want what they want, and I don't think you could have gotten any of them for less. When it was clear that Marner wasn't going to budge on his contract demands, they should have traded him immediately.

Again, I said as much at the time.
2 nov. 2022 à 17 h 58
Owly
I didn't say that. Players want what they want, and I don't think you could have gotten any of them for less. When it was clear that Marner wasn't going to budge on his contract demands, they should have traded him immediately.

Again, I said as much at the time.

Lol I love it when people with a history of trolling the Leafs have all the answers and all those answers are a bunch of 20/20 bs or just complete nonsense.
2 nov. 2022 à 18 h 5
Lol I love it when people with a history of trolling the Leafs have all the answers and all those answers are a bunch of 20/20 bs or just complete nonsense.

This doesn't just apply to the Leafs. It applies to any teams that have 2+ 8-figure contracts. With Doughty and Kopitar on the books, I would say that the Kings should acquire either of Marner or Matthews, otherwise they'd be in the same situation that Toronto is.

Marner's contract being a mistake wasn't exactly an unpopular opinion at the time, so I'm not sure how you say it's a hindsight opinion.
2 nov. 2022 à 18 h 10
Owly
This doesn't just apply to the Leafs. It applies to any teams that have 2+ 8-figure contracts. With Doughty and Kopitar on the books, I would say that the Kings should acquire either of Marner or Matthews, otherwise they'd be in the same situation that Toronto is.

Marner's contract being a mistake wasn't exactly an unpopular opinion at the time, so I'm not sure how you say it's a hindsight opinion.

Everything TO does is a mistake according to the popular opinion on here. When Matthews resigns for 13.5 million on am 8 year deal, all the usuals will be out in force saying he isn't worth half that. Or Dubas (or whoever the GM is) is such an idiot for signing him.
2 nov. 2022 à 18 h 15
Everything TO does is a mistake according to the popular opinion on here. When Matthews resigns for 13.5 million on am 8 year deal, all the usuals will be out in force saying he isn't worth half that. Or Dubas (or whoever the GM is) is such an idiot for signing him.

What's funny is that I don't think that signing Tavares or Matthews was a mistake. They were bold moves that took into consideration the best players available at the time, and while they might prove to be costly in hindsight, were probably the correct moves to make at the time.

What I'm saying is that after making those two decisions, signing Marner to an $11M deal which was the Leafs' third long-term 8-figure deal that the Leafs would sign, was a mistake and a poor decision, even at the time given the state of the team's salary structure. Had the Leafs gone on to win multiple Cups, those moves would have proven to be smart ones in hindsight, but IMO was still the wrong decision to make at the time.
2 nov. 2022 à 18 h 22
Owly
What's funny is that I don't think that signing Tavares or Matthews was a mistake. They were bold moves that took into consideration the best players available at the time, and while they might prove to be costly in hindsight, were probably the correct moves to make at the time.

What I'm saying is that after making those two decisions, signing Marner to an $11M deal which was the Leafs' third long-term 8-figure deal that the Leafs would sign, was a mistake and a poor decision, even at the time given the state of the team's salary structure. Had the Leafs gone on to win multiple Cups, those moves would have proven to be smart ones in hindsight, but IMO was still the wrong decision to make at the time.

It would all be fine had, you know, the global pandemic hadn't caused the cap to remain the same for 3 years but hindsight is 2020 right? Dubas should have been smart and assumed a once in a lifetime global event was going to happen. What a fool for not seeing the future. Of course you probably know that but you thrive on the troll so here we are.
2 nov. 2022 à 18 h 36
It would all be fine had, you know, the global pandemic hadn't caused the cap to remain the same for 3 years but hindsight is 2020 right? Dubas should have been smart and assumed a once in a lifetime global event was going to happen. What a fool for not seeing the future. Of course you probably know that but you thrive on the troll so here we are.

I had the opinion that 3x 8-figure contracts were a mistake at the time before I knew the pandemic was a thing, so I can safely say I thought it was a bad decision regardless.

I actively advocated against the Kings pursuing Artemi Panerin when the they were reportedly among the top of his desired destinations, because he reportedly wanted 8-figures and the Kings already had Kopitar and Doughty locked up.

The pandemic certainly exacerbated the bad decision to sign Marner, but it still would have been a bad decision either way.
2 nov. 2022 à 19 h 25
Owly
I had the opinion that 3x 8-figure contracts were a mistake at the time before I knew the pandemic was a thing, so I can safely say I thought it was a bad decision regardless.

I actively advocated against the Kings pursuing Artemi Panerin when the they were reportedly among the top of his desired destinations, because he reportedly wanted 8-figures and the Kings already had Kopitar and Doughty locked up.

The pandemic certainly exacerbated the bad decision to sign Marner, but it still would have been a bad decision either way.

Of course you did. Just the smartest guy in the world. It's a wonder you aren't a GM
2 nov. 2022 à 19 h 32
Of course you did. Just the smartest guy in the world. It's a wonder you aren't a GM

It has nothing to do with being smart. It has to do with having a budget and spending within your limits. In the salary cap era, giving over half of your cap to a handful of players is a bad decision. Teams win Stanley Cups. This isn't basketball where one or two players is the difference between the league basement and the Championship.

Someone was bound to try it. Toronto just happened to be the guinea pig that learned that lesson the hard way.
2 nov. 2022 à 19 h 52
Owly
It has nothing to do with being smart. It has to do with having a budget and spending within your limits. In the salary cap era, giving over half of your cap to a handful of players is a bad decision. Teams win Stanley Cups. This isn't basketball where one or two players is the difference between the league basement and the Championship.

Someone was bound to try it. Toronto just happened to be the guinea pig that learned that lesson the hard way.

Paying stars is never a problem so long as you aren't paying big money for what they used to be able to do rather than what they can do. Doughty for example is being paid for what he did in his prime. Same with Kopitar. Making both deals bad. They will never be able to do what they used to be able to do. Matthews and Marner are getting paid big while they are able to produce. Nothing wrong with that. Overpaying depth is really bad as well, which TO doesn't do.
2 nov. 2022 à 20 h 9
Paying stars is never a problem so long as you aren't paying big money for what they used to be able to do rather than what they can do. Doughty for example is being paid for what he did in his prime. Same with Kopitar. Making both deals bad. They will never be able to do what they used to be able to do. Matthews and Marner are getting paid big while they are able to produce. Nothing wrong with that. Overpaying depth is really bad as well, which TO doesn't do.

I think Kopitar and Doughty are still very much worth their contracts.

This is the first season that Kopitar perhaps hasn't been the best player on the Kings. Vilardi looks like he might take over that mantle. Getting 6 out of 8 good value years out of that contract is pretty good. We'll see if he lives up to it this season. It's too soon to tell. Don't forget that in addition to being the Kings leading scorer every year, Kopitar is also one of the premier defensive forwards in the league.

Doughty was having a Norris-worthy season last year before he was injured. He had several down years when the Kings were bad, and was rightly criticized for phoning it in when the team wasn't good. Now that the Kings are back in playoff contention, his play has returned to the quality that it was before the rebuild started. I don't regret his contract for a minute, especially considering that he's single-handedly mentoring the Kings entire defensive corps.

I agree that it's not bad to pay your stars, but each team only gets two stars. Any more than that and you're tying up all your salary at the top of your contract, and pricing out the other complementary players. Brian Burke said it best. "Your top six gets you to the playoffs, but your bottom six wins you the Stanley Cup." (paraphrased - I don't remember the exact quote). If your bottom six is made up entirely of replacement level players on league minimum contracts, you're not going to make it very far in the playoffs.

The Kings chose their two stars in Kopitar and Doughty. Until Kopitar's current deal ends, adding another eight-figure deal is out of the question, as it should be for every team.
2 nov. 2022 à 20 h 13
Owly
I think Kopitar and Doughty are still very much worth their contracts.

This is the first season that Kopitar perhaps hasn't been the best player on the Kings. Vilardi looks like he might take over that mantle. Getting 6 out of 8 good value years out of that contract is pretty good. We'll see if he lives up to it this season. It's too soon to tell. Don't forget that in addition to being the Kings leading scorer every year, Kopitar is also one of the premier defensive forwards in the league.

Doughty was having a Norris-worthy season last year before he was injured. He had several down years when the Kings were bad, and was rightly criticized for phoning it in when the team wasn't good. Now that the Kings are back in playoff contention, his play has returned to the quality that it was before the rebuild started. I don't regret his contract for a minute, especially considering that he's single-handedly mentoring the Kings entire defensive corps.

I agree that it's not bad to pay your stars, but each team only gets two stars. Any more than that and you're tying up all your salary at the top of your contract, and pricing out the other complementary players. Brian Burke said it best. "Your top six gets you to the playoffs, but your bottom six wins you the Stanley Cup." (paraphrased - I don't remember the exact quote). If your bottom six is made up entirely of replacement level players on league minimum contracts, you're not going to make it very far in the playoffs.

The Kings chose their two stars in Kopitar and Doughty. Until Kopitar's current deal ends, adding another eight-figure deal is out of the question, as it should be for every team.

How can you possibly think Kopitar is worth his contract but Matthews and Marner are not? Nothing else matters you are massively bias for the kings and massively bias against the Leafs. There is no rational debate here.
2 nov. 2022 à 20 h 30
How can you possibly think Kopitar is worth his contract but Matthews and Marner are not? Nothing else matters you are massively bias for the kings and massively bias against the Leafs. There is no rational debate here.

Who ever said that Matthews and Marner aren't worth their contracts? I think they're worth every dollar of their contracts, but having them on the same team along with Tavares was a horrible decision that crippled the team and prevented them from achieving any postseason success.
2 nov. 2022 à 22 h 4
Owly
Who ever said that Matthews and Marner aren't worth their contracts? I think they're worth every dollar of their contracts, but having them on the same team along with Tavares was a horrible decision that crippled the team and prevented them from achieving any postseason success.

It'll come
2 nov. 2022 à 22 h 20
It'll come

If it does, I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong.

However, up until now, there hasn't been a Stanley Cup champion with one 8-figure contract on it, let alone 3.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage