SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Other Leagues

Can an NHL promote a player from the CHL to the NHL once the CHL season has started, yet before it has ended?

24 oct. 2022 à 17 h 4
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 3
I know that if a CHL player starts the season on the NHL roster, and is demoted from that NHL roster, the player must return to their WHL team for the rest of that season. They may not join the AHL (or ECHL, etc) instead of joining their CHL team (assuming all requirements are met, i.e. age, contract, etc). I also understand that after the end of the player's CHL season, that player may be promoted to and play the rest of the AHL season. I would assume said player could also be promoted to the NHL squad at that point also.

However, suppose a player starts the season with his CHL club, and after a month or two, the NHL club decides that that player has earned a spot on the NHL roster? Can the NHL team promote that player from the CHL to the NHL roster? Since the player has never played in the NHL that season, he had never been "returned" to the CHL team, so the "must play the remainder of the CHL season" clause should not apply.

I'm going to exclude emergency health/injury situations. I've heard of CHL goalies being promoted to the NHL in an emergency when an NHL goalie is injured (probably the backup, in for an injured started already), and the team can not physically get an AHL goalie to the rink in time for a game. I'm not interested in this situation.

I've read something posted that a CHL player may be recalled by their NHL team directly after playing in the WJC. This would make sense for a player who performed spectacularly at the WJCs and therefore earned a chance to play for his NHL club.

I've also seen posted that an NHL club can promote a CHL player for up to five games, as long as the player does not miss more than one CHL season game during that time. Then I'd have to ask, what happens if, during this time the player displays the ability to stay in the NHL. Can the NHL squad just keep them as long as they want?

Anyone know the details on whether a CHL player who has not played in the NHL during the present season can be recalled to the NHL during the middle of the CHL season, either at any time, and/or after participating in the WJCs?

Thank you in advance for all appropriate responses...
24 oct. 2022 à 20 h 11
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 18,310
Quoting: Raise28ToTheRafters
I know that if a CHL player starts the season on the NHL roster, and is demoted from that NHL roster, the player must return to their WHL team for the rest of that season. They may not join the AHL (or ECHL, etc) instead of joining their CHL team (assuming all requirements are met, i.e. age, contract, etc). I also understand that after the end of the player's CHL season, that player may be promoted to and play the rest of the AHL season. I would assume said player could also be promoted to the NHL squad at that point also.

However, suppose a player starts the season with his CHL club, and after a month or two, the NHL club decides that that player has earned a spot on the NHL roster? Can the NHL team promote that player from the CHL to the NHL roster? Since the player has never played in the NHL that season, he had never been "returned" to the CHL team, so the "must play the remainder of the CHL season" clause should not apply.

I'm going to exclude emergency health/injury situations. I've heard of CHL goalies being promoted to the NHL in an emergency when an NHL goalie is injured (probably the backup, in for an injured started already), and the team can not physically get an AHL goalie to the rink in time for a game. I'm not interested in this situation.

I've read something posted that a CHL player may be recalled by their NHL team directly after playing in the WJC. This would make sense for a player who performed spectacularly at the WJCs and therefore earned a chance to play for his NHL club.

I've also seen posted that an NHL club can promote a CHL player for up to five games, as long as the player does not miss more than one CHL season game during that time. Then I'd have to ask, what happens if, during this time the player displays the ability to stay in the NHL. Can the NHL squad just keep them as long as they want?

Anyone know the details on whether a CHL player who has not played in the NHL during the present season can be recalled to the NHL during the middle of the CHL season, either at any time, and/or after participating in the WJCs?

Thank you in advance for all appropriate responses...

When a signed player is cut from an NHL team in pre-season, they are being returned to their junior club. Under normal rules, he cannot return to NHL until CHL season is over (except in the rarest of emergency circumstances...which has happened with goalies, as you noted). When the player is returned to CHL, the NHL pays a fee, not counted against cap, to the junior club. For NHL teams, its a rounding error sum, but for some of the smaller CHL clubs, its a good amount. That signed prospects contract can then "slide" meaning an ELC year is not used up (and everything except signing bonuses roll forward a year, pushing their first RFA out a year). There is no limit on number of games an NHL can hang into a CHL player. The 9-game limit only applies to the "slide provision". If the prospect makes the team out of camp, plays 20 games, and is returned to juniors, his contract does not slide a year. But everything else is the same....he stays on his CHL roster until their season is over. A lot of this is not cap-related. Its from simple logistics of having to house, feed and educate young players (in CHL, many live with billet, attend school and receive stipends).

There are exceptions to this rule based on where a player is playing at time of draft (determined by NHL central registry). But of a player is not listed as CHL player at draft, they obviously do not have to return to CHL (most cases they can just play in AHL as teenager). European players who are drafted out of European leagues, but signed to CHL import deals represent a little gray area, so central registry's league listing actually matters. Most USHL players (and Junior A players) are exempt from this rule as well, but in order to preserve they NCAA eligibility, if they are following that path, they cannot sign an NHL contract.

Hope that helps.
11 nov. 2022 à 7 h 37
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 18,310
I would add a piece to my earlier response about sending players with CHL rights to AHL. I often see a lot of people say that these players (under 20, drafted out of CHL, now on NHL rosters) cannot be sent to AHL, which I don't think is true. Its rare, but there are exceptions.

From what I understand, there are two circumstances in which an NHL team can send the player to AHL

1. The player has been on NHL roster since beginning of season, has past the 9-game mark, is healthy, but has had 5 healthy scratches. In this case, he can be sent to AHL for two weeks.
2. The player has been on NHL roster since beginning of season, has past the 9-game mark, is injured, and is ready for rehab stint. In this case, he can be sent to AHL for two weeks.

So for instance, Shane Wright has played in 7 games and has been health scratch 7 games. Seattle could hypothetically, adopt the following schedule for him to get into game time.

NOV 11-13: Plays vs MIN, WPG

NOV 17-27: Healthy scratch vs NYR, LAK, SJS, VGK, ANA

DEC 9-12: to World Juniors Camp

DEC 12-26: Plays in AHL Games

DEC 26-JAN 5: World Junior Tournament

JAN 6-on: Returns to NHL roster

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage