Subtractions:

Jack Campbell
Petr Mrazek
Ilya Mikheyev
Colin Blackwell
Jason Spezza
Ondrej Kase
Ilya Lyubushkin

For the first time in a while this is about as vulnerable as I can remember the Atlantic division being. BOS has some key injuries to core guys to start the year, FLA won’t be as nearly as strong, TBL lost a couple of key players and will not have Cirelli to start the year. OTT looks great on paper but still has a suspect D core and goaltending. This offseason felt like a bit of a missed opportunity for the Leafs. They have a strong team that shouldn’t have much of a problem making the playoffs, but they haven’t done much of anything to move the needle forward. I’m fine with the Matt Murray gamble (so far looks great in preseason) but to not get back picks of value (the highest pick is a third) or make Ottawa eat more cap hit (Murray was essentially out of the league and now the Leafs are paying him nearly $4.7M for each of the next two years) was poor negotiation. At the very least Dubas NEEDED to get a 3rd team to retain 50% of his remaining salary. Jarnkrok will do a nice job replacing Mikheyev and NAK and ZAR will bring a much needed identity to the 4th line. IMO this team needed to add another difference maker FWD, something they have failed to do at the past two TDL. Not moving Kerfoot last year when his value was sky high or trying to move out from Muzzin were missed opportunities. Guys like Niederreiter, Bjorkstrand, Perron, Marchment, were all available and would have made a clear upside to this roster in the top 6. I am hopeful with the additions of Jarnkrok/Robertson/Malgin or possibly Steeves/Holmberg (later in the season) can take a step forward and help replace the 47 goals left from Mikheyev/Kase/Spezza. IMO this team as currently constructed will take a step back in scoring (especially if you subject Kerfoot, which seems more and more likely once Liljegren is healthy) but defensively they have gotten stronger. Matthews, Marner, Kampf, Engvall, and Kerfoot were five of their best defensive forwards last season, and players like Aston-Reese, Aube-Kubel, and Jarnkrok will only add to Toronto’s defensive prowess. When healthy, this team should be terrific at five-on-five. It has not been a particularly inspiring or exciting offseason but this team will be more than fine in the regular season. It’s imperative they add a difference making scoring forward at the TDL this year.

I’m jacked for the season to start, I’d like to use this forum to discuss pregame/mid/post game. Feel free to add in anything if you want throughout the season. Let’s go buds!

Organizational Depth Chart (as of 10/11/22)

Toronto Maple Leafs

Bunting Matthews Marner
Nylander Tavares Malgin
Engvall Kerfoot Jarnkrok
ZAR Gaudette NAK

Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Giordano Sandin
Liljegren (LTIR)

Murray
Samsonov

Toronto Marlies

Last year has to go down as a disappointment for the Marlies. Not only did Toronto miss out on the playoffs for the first time since 2011, but the team was also incredibly inconsistent. The final points percentage of .549 was the lowest by any Marlies team since 2010-11, and a total of 24 regulation victories earned are the third lowest tally in franchise history. Special teams were also an issue - the PP averaged just under 20% for the season and the PK was ranked 25th overall in the AHL at 78.3%. It certainly didn’t help COVID taking over the team in December and a rotation of goaltenders due to injury and call-ups also did not help matters. This has the makings of a very strong roster in 2022, and will surely be a make-or-break year for Greg Moore.

Robertson Holmberg Anderson
Abruzzese Gaudette Steeves
McMann Blandis SDA
Clifford Douglas Shaw
Gogolev
Ellis
Slaggert

Kral Mete
Raifi Hollowell
Kokkonen Villeneuve
Hofenmeyer

Kallgren
Ferguson
Petruzelli
Woll (injury)

Newfoundland Growlers

Centazzo Chyzowski O’Brien
Kruse Walker Solow
Budgell Badini Johnstone
Skriving Suthers

Hellickson Kapcheck
Pietroniro Miller
Melindy Joyaux

McKay
Cavallin
NorthernLeafsFan05 et oneX a aimé ceci.
11 oct. 2022 à 15 h 44
Démarrer sujet
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982
@LeafsFanForSomeReason @aadoyle @Saskleaf

Discussion for the year, if not no worries.
11 oct. 2022 à 15 h 45
Démarrer sujet
Ovchinnikov 137
@Nathaniel @oneX @Trickster

11 oct. 2022 à 15 h 46
Démarrer sujet
Ovchinnikov 137
@Logan_Ollivier @BigDaddyOvech @mondo

Logan_Ollivier a aimé ceci.
11 oct. 2022 à 15 h 56
hey look a squirrel
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 3,744
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Nathaniel oneX Trickster

I think you forgot Kampf but I want to think of more before I post.
MatthewsFan et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
11 oct. 2022 à 16 h 11
Démarrer sujet
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Trickster
I think you forgot Kampf but I want to think of more before I post.

lol I've been working on this too long, thx for the catch
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
11 oct. 2022 à 16 h 13
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,733
Honestly excited to see how our 4th line plays out

As honestly ZAR-Kampf-Kubel might be one of the best 4th lines in the NHL rn

And thats something the leafs have desperately needed. As while Spezza was great ZAR-Kampf-Kubel is a 4th line that Keefe can put up against a teams top line and cause serious frustration.
MatthewsFan, Saskleaf, NorthernLeafsFan05 and 2 others a aimé ceci.
11 oct. 2022 à 16 h 20
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,152
I think this thread is a great idea! I think the habs fans and bolts fans each had their own thread so might as well have one for the leafs fans.
11 oct. 2022 à 16 h 29
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 5,864
For the most part, I completely agree with you. While I slightly disagree about the offseason we had, I do think it is pretty high on the list of priorities to add a scoring forward. We have a lot of internal options for that role, with Robertson and Knies kind of headlining that, but I don't love the idea of injecting two young players into the top 6 and hoping that pans out. If the Leafs do play it safe and opt for a more sure solution, then I would love to see Garland as a target. Personally, I was actually a huge fan of the moves made by the Leafs this offseason. On paper, this team is absolutely fantastic and took a clear step up from last year, although we did lose a slight bit of depth scoring (granted our depth did next to nothing in the playoffs last year). The roster is extremely deep, with a logjam at both defense and offense with a surplus of NHL capable players ready to step in.

The subtractions from last year create negligible change. I think a lot of people kind of overstate the impact of losing some guys from last year, particularly Campbell and Mikheyev. Both of them were (unsurprisingly) overpaid on the open market. The two former Leafs currently sit at a combined cap hit of 9.75 million dollars for the next 4 years at the least. Think about it this way: Would you rather have Jack Campbell (5 mil), Ilya Mikheyev (4.75 mil), and Ondrej Kase (1.5 mil) at a combined 11.25 mil, or Mitch Marner at 10.9 mil? The amount of money those guys got is absurd. Jack Campbell, bless his soul, is a fantastic guy and a player that I am a huge fan of. He was super fun to watch, however, he wasn't always sound in that net. The absolutely disastrous 10 - 7 win over Detroit comes to mind, where Jack looked genuinely awful. He made a lot of huge saves, but would very often let in routine shots and terrible goals. I really can't complain about Murray. Yes, Ottawa wanted to move him, but they were also in a unique position where a divisional rival in Toronto actively sought out a player of theirs, so they really squeezed us. The goalie market this year was super tight, and we wound up getting a superb goalie for literally nothing. Samsonov was also a slam dunk, he's signed to fairly cheap and has so much potential it's not even funny. Other notable losses like Mikheyev and Kase are kind of whatever. Jarnkrok and ZAR provide more than enough defensive coverage to make up from what we lost with Mikheyev, while also bringing in some much needed certainty that was lost with Kase and his rocky health record. The other losses like Lyubushkin, Blackwell, Mrazek, and Spezza are just whatever. Getting rid of Mrazek was the right move, and Im glad we did it. I was not a fan of Lyubushkin at all. It was nice to get him in exchange for Nick Ritchie, but he looked down right horrible most of the time. Blackwell was nice, but his skillset has been 100% replaced already in the form of ZAR and NAK, so again it's just whatever. Spezza retiring sucks, but it was time to usher in a new identity for the fourth line anyways, and I dont think Spezza wouldve been the right guy to center the fourth line we truly need.

I think a lot of Leafs fans (including myself) have gotten too caught up in the "what if" rhetoric. Sure, guys like Ninoreider and Bjorkstrand were available, but did they want to come to Toronto? Nino was a free agent, so he was more or less in complete control of where he landed. Even if the Leafs did offer him a deal, theres no guarantee he has interest in playing here. Same can be said with Bjorkstrand who has a full NTC. Would they have been nice? For sure, but not every player can be a Leaf, so really, who cares? Free Agents are never a sure thing and should definitely not be the medium to facilitate any grand change in your roster. Look at Tavares, who is a fantastic player for us and has for the most part been a really great add. He still makes way more than he's worth simply because there was that competition on the open market. Sure, he took less to come to Toronto, but his cap hit is still ginormous. Bjorkstrand was a personal favourite target for the Leafs, but again, that NTC made all the difference, and Seattle is also in a different conference. There is so much unpredictability with player movement that I have really just given up on being disappoint that the Leafs didnt prioritize a certain player, because chances are we did and it just didn't work out. This is the case with Kase, who was offered an identical contracts from Toronto and Carolina, yet chose Carolina. By thinking "We missed out on ___", or "We could've had ____" shifts too much focus onto the "what if", and downplays the genuinely good offseason we just had. At the end of the day, it's a business and there are so many factors at play that its best to just focus on what we have.

All of that aside, I am genuinely stoked about the start of this season. I am a huge believer in our goalies, and even if they do suck, they just need to be better than last year. I think our forward core got significantly better depth wise, especially considering we still have Robertson as an option in the near future and Knies as another option a little further down the stretch if needed. There are a lot of young guys vying to come up and make an impact as well, which is something that really excites me considering it feels like forever since thats been the case. Our defense is also vastly improved from last year, as despite it being made up of more or less the same guys, we've got Gio, Sandin, and Liljegren all signed for a combined 3.6 mil, which is just insanely good value. I completely agree with all your points, but I think we'll do better than you anticipate. Granted this is the Toronto Maple Leafs, so anything can happen. I look forward to coming back to this throughout the season and reading over the changing mindsets as the seasons go on. It'll be fun to come back and laugh at my inevitably bad takes that age like milk. We still see. Go Leafs!

(Also FWIW, you forgot Kampf on the organizational depth chart)
MatthewsFan et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
11 oct. 2022 à 16 h 31
Hakuna Matata
Gonna lay out a super early prediction

This is what Toronto will look like after the TDL

Bunting-Matthews-Kane
Knies-Tavares-Marner
Engvall-Jarnkrok-Nylander
ZAR-Kampf-Kubel

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Liligren
Gio-Sandin

Murray
Samsonov

Extra: Malgin

And for reference this is before

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander
Engvall-Jarnkrok-Malgin
ZAR-Kampf-Kubel

Everything else = same

As when you look at this team they have 3.5mill in tdl space (i.e. Kerfoot is gonna be moved then in a package for someone I am sensing it). Cause in general I think Dubas has set them up till the TDL where we will get a true sense of what they need
oneX a aimé ceci.
11 oct. 2022 à 16 h 33
Amirov Forever
Quoting: aadoyle

Bunting-Matthews-Kane
Knies-Tavares-Marner
ZAR-Kampf-Kubel

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Liligren
Gio-Sandin

Murray
Samsonov

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander
Engvall-Jarnkrok-Malgin
ZAR-Kampf-Kubel

Everything else = same

Kane would be such a bonkers addition, he easily makes us a cup favourite. That being said, I can't see it happening. Toronto doesnt strike me as a team that would make that kind of gigantic addition. Dubas seems pretty set on our current core and just adding quality around them
11 oct. 2022 à 16 h 37
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Nathaniel
Kane would be such a bonkers addition, he easily makes us a cup favourite. That being said, I can't see it happening. Toronto doesnt strike me as a team that would make that kind of gigantic addition. Dubas seems pretty set on our current core and just adding quality around them

Dubas job is on the line and how many times is a guy of his caliber gonna be available. As you said Kane going to Toronto makes them a more serious cup contender and if your Dubas and you see the potential of maybe going up against one of the metro teams or one of Boston, Florida or Tampa you go for it. As if we look at teams who have won they have spent at the deadline

Tampa being the best example. Every year they spent their first brought in guys like Hagel, Savard, Goodrow, Coleman who have all helped them win a cup

Colorado spent good prospects and picks to bring in Lehkonen, Kuemper, etc.

Toronto yes has spent on guys but we need a higher caliber guy as while the Dman additions have been solid the forward additions really werent difference makers.
NorthernLeafsFan05 a aimé ceci.
11 oct. 2022 à 16 h 40
Amirov Forever
Dubas job is on the line and how many times is a guy of his caliber gonna be available. As you said Kane going to Toronto makes them a more serious cup contender and if your Dubas and you see the potential of maybe going up against one of the metro teams or one of Boston, Florida or Tampa you go for it.

Fair enough, in the past Dubas has been very set in his ways, but I suppose with his job on the line that could change tears of joy

If we lose Dubas, I think we are in big trouble, so for his sake and ours, I hope he does swing a big deal like that. I want to see it. It just seems very uncharacteristic of Dubas, who generally tends to go for less notable yet equally large names.
11 oct. 2022 à 16 h 46
Démarrer sujet
Ovchinnikov 137
For the most part, I completely agree with you. While I slightly disagree about the offseason we had, I do think it is pretty high on the list of priorities to add a scoring forward. We have a lot of internal options for that role, with Robertson and Knies kind of headlining that, but I don't love the idea of injecting two young players into the top 6 and hoping that pans out. If the Leafs do play it safe and opt for a more sure solution, then I would love to see Garland as a target. Personally, I was actually a huge fan of the moves made by the Leafs this offseason. On paper, this team is absolutely fantastic and took a clear step up from last year, although we did lose a slight bit of depth scoring (granted our depth did next to nothing in the playoffs last year). The roster is extremely deep, with a logjam at both defense and offense with a surplus of NHL capable players ready to step in.

The subtractions from last year create negligible change. I think a lot of people kind of overstate the impact of losing some guys from last year, particularly Campbell and Mikheyev. Both of them were (unsurprisingly) overpaid on the open market. The two former Leafs currently sit at a combined cap hit of 9.75 million dollars for the next 4 years at the least. Think about it this way: Would you rather have Jack Campbell (5 mil), Ilya Mikheyev (4.75 mil), and Ondrej Kase (1.5 mil) at a combined 11.25 mil, or Mitch Marner at 10.9 mil? The amount of money those guys got is absurd. Jack Campbell, bless his soul, is a fantastic guy and a player that I am a huge fan of. He was super fun to watch, however, he wasn't always sound in that net. The absolutely disastrous 10 - 7 win over Detroit comes to mind, where Jack looked genuinely awful. He made a lot of huge saves, but would very often let in routine shots and terrible goals. I really can't complain about Murray. Yes, Ottawa wanted to move him, but they were also in a unique position where a divisional rival in Toronto actively sought out a player of theirs, so they really squeezed us. The goalie market this year was super tight, and we wound up getting a superb goalie for literally nothing. Samsonov was also a slam dunk, he's signed to fairly cheap and has so much potential it's not even funny. Other notable losses like Mikheyev and Kase are kind of whatever. Jarnkrok and ZAR provide more than enough defensive coverage to make up from what we lost with Mikheyev, while also bringing in some much needed certainty that was lost with Kase and his rocky health record. The other losses like Lyubushkin, Blackwell, Mrazek, and Spezza are just whatever. Getting rid of Mrazek was the right move, and Im glad we did it. I was not a fan of Lyubushkin at all. It was nice to get him in exchange for Nick Ritchie, but he looked down right horrible most of the time. Blackwell was nice, but his skillset has been 100% replaced already in the form of ZAR and NAK, so again it's just whatever. Spezza retiring sucks, but it was time to usher in a new identity for the fourth line anyways, and I dont think Spezza wouldve been the right guy to center the fourth line we truly need.

I think a lot of Leafs fans (including myself) have gotten too caught up in the "what if" rhetoric. Sure, guys like Ninoreider and Bjorkstrand were available, but did they want to come to Toronto? Nino was a free agent, so he was more or less in complete control of where he landed. Even if the Leafs did offer him a deal, theres no guarantee he has interest in playing here. Same can be said with Bjorkstrand who has a full NTC. Would they have been nice? For sure, but not every player can be a Leaf, so really, who cares? Free Agents are never a sure thing and should definitely not be the medium to facilitate any grand change in your roster. Look at Tavares, who is a fantastic player for us and has for the most part been a really great add. He still makes way more than he's worth simply because there was that competition on the open market. Sure, he took less to come to Toronto, but his cap hit is still ginormous. Bjorkstrand was a personal favourite target for the Leafs, but again, that NTC made all the difference, and Seattle is also in a different conference. There is so much unpredictability with player movement that I have really just given up on being disappoint that the Leafs didnt prioritize a certain player, because chances are we did and it just didn't work out. This is the case with Kase, who was offered an identical contracts from Toronto and Carolina, yet chose Carolina. By thinking "We missed out on ___", or "We could've had ____" shifts too much focus onto the "what if", and downplays the genuinely good offseason we just had. At the end of the day, it's a business and there are so many factors at play that its best to just focus on what we have.

All of that aside, I am genuinely stoked about the start of this season. I am a huge believer in our goalies, and even if they do suck, they just need to be better than last year. I think our forward core got significantly better depth wise, especially considering we still have Robertson as an option in the near future and Knies as another option a little further down the stretch if needed. There are a lot of young guys vying to come up and make an impact as well, which is something that really excites me considering it feels like forever since thats been the case. Our defense is also vastly improved from last year, as despite it being made up of more or less the same guys, we've got Gio, Sandin, and Liljegren all signed for a combined 3.6 mil, which is just insanely good value. I completely agree with all your points, but I think we'll do better than you anticipate. Granted this is the Toronto Maple Leafs, so anything can happen. I look forward to coming back to this throughout the season and reading over the changing mindsets as the seasons go on. It'll be fun to come back and laugh at my inevitably bad takes that age like milk. We still see. Go Leafs!

(Also FWIW, you forgot Kampf on the organizational depth chart)

Oh, to have an edit button on this (thx missed the Kampf one lol)

Agree with all you said. Those were just some options I liked in FA but agree, no guarantee they even want to sign here. My main issue with the offseason was not moving on from Kerfoot (who will now most likely be a cap casualty once they have a healthy roster) not selling high on him last year and not getting more retention on Murray. I am fine with the gamble on both goalies brought in (IMO both have tremendous bounce back capabilities) plus they are not tied into any long term complications once Matthews and Nylander are up. I am totaly fine moving on from Campbell and Mikheyev (both will be missed) but those contracts will age terrible.

Agreed, I am pumped to see what this season brings, especially with the infusion of some of the Marlies players throughout the season
11 oct. 2022 à 16 h 51
Amirov Forever
Oh, to have an edit button on this (thx missed the Kampf one lol)

Agree with all you said. Those were just some options I liked in FA but agree, no guarantee they even want to sign here. My main issue with the offseason was not moving on from Kerfoot (who will now most likely be a cap casualty once they have a healthy roster) not selling high on him last year and not getting more retention on Murray. I am fine with the gamble on both goalies brought in (IMO both have tremendous bounce back capabilities) plus they are not tied into any long term complications once Matthews and Nylander are up. I am totaly fine moving on from Campbell and Mikheyev (both will be missed) but those contracts will age terrible.

Agreed, I am pumped to see what this season brings, especially with the infusion of some of the Marlies players throughout the season

I agree with this as well, especially considering that Kerfoot will most likely be the guy move to make room for Liljegren when he's activated off of LTIR. We are going to get extremely sub-optimal value. Im shocked he wasnt moved at the draft, signing Jarnkrok seemed like a sure indication that Kerfoot wouldve been moved prior to training camp
MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
11 oct. 2022 à 16 h 54
Démarrer sujet
Ovchinnikov 137

Bunting-Matthews-Kane
Knies-Tavares-Marner
ZAR-Kampf-Kubel

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Liligren
Gio-Sandin

Murray
Samsonov

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander
Engvall-Jarnkrok-Malgin
ZAR-Kampf-Kubel

Everything else = same

As when you look at this team they have 3.5mill in tdl space (i.e. Kerfoot is gonna be moved then in a package for someone I am sensing it). Cause in general I think Dubas has set them up till the TDL where we will get a true sense of what they need

For me they should target:

Eeli Tolvanen
Trevor Moore (possible FA)
Max Comtois
Miles Wood
Luke Kunin
Puis Suter
NorthernLeafsFan05 et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
11 oct. 2022 à 17 h 7
Hakuna Matata
For me they should target:

Eeli Tolvanen
Trevor Moore (possible FA)
Max Comtois
Miles Wood
Luke Kunin
Puis Suter

Not bad but I want a guy whose gonna be a serious diff maker. No more depth guys. Time for the big guns

Adding Kane basically allows Toronto to move Nylander to the third line and thus increase our scoring depth

Also with 3-way retention only costs 2.625mill which is cheaper than 3.5mill Kerfoot

Only other guy I could maybe see like this is Bertuzzi
11 oct. 2022 à 17 h 12
Démarrer sujet
Ovchinnikov 137
Not bad but I want a guy whose gonna be a serious diff maker. No more depth guys. Time for the big guns

Adding Kane basically allows Toronto to move Nylander to the third line and thus increase our scoring depth

Also with 3-way retention only costs 2.625mill

I completely agree, Kane WOULD be a difference maker and really the only real option as of today (who knows what players could be available at the TDL) but if the NYR are in the running, no chance we have the pieces to make a better offer than what they have.
11 oct. 2022 à 17 h 53
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 11 oct. 2022 à 18 h 14
I completely agree, Kane WOULD be a difference maker and really the only real option as of today (who knows what players could be available at the TDL) but if the NYR are in the running, no chance we have the pieces to make a better offer than what they have.

The issue with the NYR is their cap and who they could send the other way to make the cap work. Yeah they can do Kakko but it seems management has finally found something they like about him and we could be seeing the rise of a new kid line with him Laf and Chytil. Toronto meanwhile can send Kerfoot which frees 3.5mill. Funny how it works these days lul
11 oct. 2022 à 18 h 13
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,601
Offseason additions:

Matt Murray
Ilya Samsonov
Calle Jarnkrok
Adam Gaudette
Nicolas Aube-Kubel
Zach Aston-Reese
Jordie Benn
Victor Mete

Subtractions:

Jack Campbell
Petr Mrazek
Ilya Mikheyev
Colin Blackwell
Jason Spezza
Ondrej Kase
Ilya Lyubushkin

For the first time in a while this is about as vulnerable as I can remember the Atlantic division being. BOS has some key injuries to core guys to start the year, FLA won’t be as nearly as strong, TBL lost a couple of key players and will not have Cirelli to start the year. OTT looks great on paper but still has a suspect D core and goaltending. This offseason felt like a bit of a missed opportunity for the Leafs. They have a strong team that shouldn’t have much of a problem making the playoffs, but they haven’t done much of anything to move the needle forward. I’m fine with the Matt Murray gamble (so far looks great in preseason) but to not get back picks of value (the highest pick is a third) or make Ottawa eat more cap hit (Murray was essentially out of the league and now the Leafs are paying him nearly $4.7M for each of the next two years) was poor negotiation. At the very least Dubas NEEDED to get a 3rd team to retain 50% of his remaining salary. Jarnkrok will do a nice job replacing Mikheyev and NAK and ZAR will bring a much needed identity to the 4th line. IMO this team needed to add another difference maker FWD, something they have failed to do at the past two TDL. Not moving Kerfoot last year when his value was sky high or trying to move out from Muzzin were missed opportunities. Guys like Niederreiter, Bjorkstrand, Perron, Marchment, were all available and would have made a clear upside to this roster in the top 6. I am hopeful with the additions of Jarnkrok/Robertson/Malgin or possibly Steeves/Holmberg (later in the season) can take a step forward and help replace the 47 goals left from Mikheyev/Kase/Spezza. IMO this team as currently constructed will take a step back in scoring (especially if you subject Kerfoot, which seems more and more likely once Liljegren is healthy) but defensively they have gotten stronger. Matthews, Marner, Kampf, Engvall, and Kerfoot were five of their best defensive forwards last season, and players like Aston-Reese, Aube-Kubel, and Jarnkrok will only add to Toronto’s defensive prowess. When healthy, this team should be terrific at five-on-five. It has not been a particularly inspiring or exciting offseason but this team will be more than fine in the regular season. It’s imperative they add a difference making scoring forward at the TDL this year.

I’m jacked for the season to start, I’d like to use this forum to discuss pregame/mid/post game. Feel free to add in anything if you want throughout the season. Let’s go buds!

Organizational Depth Chart (as of 10/11/22)

Toronto Maple Leafs

Bunting Matthews Marner
Nylander Tavares Malgin
Engvall Kerfoot Jarnkrok
ZAR Gaudette NAK

Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Giordano Sandin
Liljegren (LTIR)

Murray
Samsonov

Toronto Marlies

Last year has to go down as a disappointment for the Marlies. Not only did Toronto miss out on the playoffs for the first time since 2011, but the team was also incredibly inconsistent. The final points percentage of .549 was the lowest by any Marlies team since 2010-11, and a total of 24 regulation victories earned are the third lowest tally in franchise history. Special teams were also an issue - the PP averaged just under 20% for the season and the PK was ranked 25th overall in the AHL at 78.3%. It certainly didn’t help COVID taking over the team in December and a rotation of goaltenders due to injury and call-ups also did not help matters. This has the makings of a very strong roster in 2022, and will surely be a make-or-break year for Greg Moore.

Robertson Holmberg Anderson
Abruzzese Gaudette Steeves
McMann Blandis SDA
Clifford Douglas Shaw
Gogolev
Ellis
Slaggert

Kral Mete
Raifi Hollowell
Kokkonen Villeneuve
Hofenmeyer

Kallgren
Ferguson
Petruzelli
Woll (injury)

Newfoundland Growlers

Centazzo Chyzowski O’Brien
Kruse Walker Solow
Budgell Badini Johnstone
Skriving Suthers

Hellickson Kapcheck
Pietroniro Miller
Melindy Joyaux

McKay
Cavallin

Thank you for this. I like reading the various things you have posted as I find I have less time following the team and the progression of young players.
11 oct. 2022 à 18 h 15
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,601
Honestly excited to see how our 4th line plays out

As honestly ZAR-Kampf-Kubel might be one of the best 4th lines in the NHL rn

And thats something the leafs have desperately needed. As while Spezza was great ZAR-Kampf-Kubel is a 4th line that Keefe can put up against a teams top line and cause serious frustration.

Yeah I am interested to see that 4th line as well. I am however, dreading the goaltending at least to start the year.
11 oct. 2022 à 18 h 21
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: oneX
Yeah I am interested to see that 4th line as well. I am however, dreading the goaltending at least to start the year.

Murray has looked really good and heck even in that one stinker Samsonov also looked really good so far this preseason. If both were being lit up I would have had concerns. But as of now so far so good.

If Sammy learns to play the puck and Murray plays like he did during the preseason Toronto could have a Jenning duo

All thats needed though for that is consistency, proper support on all levels, and keeping the boys healthy.
11 oct. 2022 à 18 h 49
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
sooner robertson is on the team the better. would be open to moving someone like engvall to make it happen
11 oct. 2022 à 19 h 40
Démarrer sujet
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: mondo
sooner robertson is on the team the better. would be open to moving someone like engvall to make it happen

Robertson should be up on emergency recall on Thursday. IS on the roster, not sure who he'd take out, be agreed he will help out this team.

Would you rather Engvall over Kerfoot? I'd personally rather see Kerfoot moved (they both are kinda of a wash in terms of what they bring) I'd take the extra cap space in moving out Kerfoot.
12 oct. 2022 à 11 h 33
Démarrer sujet
Ovchinnikov 137

Let’s Go!

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage