SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Calgary Flames signed MacKenzie Weegar (8 Years / $6,250,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

7 oct. 2022 à 15 h 47
Rejoint: juin 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 728
Calgary easily won the tkachuk trade now.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
7 oct. 2022 à 16 h 5
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 3,695
I'm surprised by all of the negativity about how this one will age. Its perhaps 1-2 years long, but he also isn't being paid stud money. He's being paid currently what a #2-3 defenseman (not pair, defenseman, ie the second or third best defenseman on a team) makes. He is a high end #2, ****ty #1. Cap is expected to go up. Seems fine to me.

The Kadri deal in general is worse and the huberdeau deal in length and age of signing are worse. This is a pretty solid deal
OldNYIfan et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
7 oct. 2022 à 16 h 10
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
Quoting: DongLord23
You just said they peak 24-31 & defenceman peak later without any data at all.

Yeah, and I backed up this point. I didn't say they peak between 23-28 because I googled "NHL Player Peak Age", click the first link, and say where the lines were the highest. I wonder if you actually read the methodology for the chart instead of demanding everyone else post data. It's 5-6 years out of date and WAR has evolved since then.

What are you talking about? You'd come to the conclusion that there aren't many defenceman playing at 21-23 and the only guys playing are your top tier talents like Doughty/Karlsson/Makar/Heiskanen etc... There's a dropoff because most of your mid to late round picks debut at 24.

Maybe look up what "face value" means. The "Defenseman" line as a very clear decline between 24 and 30. Without any additional information, you would derive the conclusion that defenseman peak at 23 and get worse through 24-30. The chart doesn't provide the information regarding sample sizes for each age or the overall ability of players at each age or the number of new players debuting at each age. You'd have to go to the article page to get that information which you haven't posted.

A better way to convey the information would be to determine the change in WAR between players who debut at certain ages. Players who debut at 18 versus those who debut at 24 will have different career paths and that's not reflected on the chart.

"I don't see what's wrong with saying this" because it's usually not true. The only defenceman that seem to be able to keep it up in their 30s are HOF talent guys. I wouldn't be surprised if Makar could be an exception. Weegar isn't that.

Weegar is a guy I'd take a bet on to play well into his 30s. A lot of guys do fall off but there definitely is a handful of top 4 guys in their 30s who are still decent and Weegar could easily join them.

Because bloating your cap space with guys out of their prime isn't how you build a good team. That's how you become the Sharks/Preds. Making the playoffs every year but not sniffing the cup.

Would've been better to use examples of teams that haven't reached the Stanley Cup Finals using this strategy but whatever.
OldNYIfan, yycofred et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
7 oct. 2022 à 16 h 28
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 685
Quoting: mondo
Yeah, and I backed up this point. I didn't say they peak between 23-28 because I googled "NHL Player Peak Age", click the first link, and say where the lines were the highest. I wonder if you actually read the methodology for the chart instead of demanding everyone else post data. It's 5-6 years out of date and WAR has evolved since then.

Maybe look up what "face value" means. The "Defenseman" line as a very clear decline between 24 and 30. Without any additional information, you would derive the conclusion that defenseman peak at 23 and get worse through 24-30. The chart doesn't provide the information regarding sample sizes for each age or the overall ability of players at each age or the number of new players debuting at each age. You'd have to go to the article page to get that information which you haven't posted.

A better way to convey the information would be to determine the change in WAR between players who debut at certain ages. Players who debut at 18 versus those who debut at 24 will have different career paths and that's not reflected on the chart.

Weegar is a guy I'd take a bet on to play well into his 30s. A lot of guys do fall off but there definitely is a handful of top 4 guys in their 30s who are still decent and Weegar could easily join them.

Would've been better to use examples of teams that haven't reached the Stanley Cup Finals using this strategy but whatever.

"Yeah, and I backed up this point. I didn't say they peak between 23-28 because I googled "NHL Player Peak Age", click the first link, and say where the lines were the highest. I wonder if you actually read the methodology for the chart instead of demanding everyone else post data. It's 5-6 years out of date and WAR has evolved since then."

Age curves in hockey have been known for a while now. A lot of research by guys like Tulsky who is AGM of hurricanes. Plenty of data showing when players peak. You can choose to look at all the data or just use what you feel it is without any actual data.

"Maybe look up what "face value" means. The "Defenseman" line as a very clear decline between 24 and 30. Without any additional information, you would derive the conclusion that defenseman peak at 23 and get worse through 24-30. The chart doesn't provide the information regarding sample sizes for each age or the overall ability of players at each age or the number of new players debuting at each age. You'd have to go to the article page to get that information which you haven't posted."

Or you could actually think when you look at the chart. Same reason why defenceman don't peak at 39. I think most people would understand that lmao.

"Weegar is a guy I'd take a bet on to play well into his 30s. A lot of guys do fall off but there definitely is a handful of top 4 guys in their 30s who are still decent and Weegar could easily join them."

Ok if he's playing well at 33 I'll delete my account. If he isn't you delete your account. Fair?

"Would've been better to use examples of teams that haven't reached the Stanley Cup Finals using this strategy but whatever."

In 2015 when their cap wasn't an issue lmao? The Vlasic / Burns / Couture / Karlsson deals didn't exist. Their cap was shorter term fair value contracts. Thornton/Marleau were taking 3 year deals. Pavelski was on a 5 year deal. Not 8 year gigantic deals.

Predators had one of the best cap situations in 2016/2017. Only 3 contracts 6M+. This is also before the Duchene / Johansen. Only big long term deal was Subban and that was signed when he was 25.
7 oct. 2022 à 16 h 37
Once a Kings Fan Too
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 24,604
Great signing for the Flames. In my book, this makes them the clear favorite to win the Pacific Division. And I got two horses in that race.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
7 oct. 2022 à 16 h 39
IG vincemark78
Mentions "j'aime": 82
This is a great deal considering Weegar is a high level D, easily a top 4. He's good in his own zone and can anchor anybody else who isn't. Calgary got much better with that trade, when you look at the resignings. Huberdeau being better long term for FL is up for debate but when you turn Tkachuk into a guy who is arguably better than him AND a top 4 stud on the back end AND a 1st round pick it's mind blowing. Zito got fleeced and I don't use that term lightly.

If he even traded Huberdeau straight up for Tkachuk with those deals in place it's still a questionable trade for the Cats. Throw in Weegar and a first and it's a deal that made Florida noticeably worse. We'll see if either team wins a Cup during these deals. But Calgary is def better now than they were before. This deal is the icing on quite a retooling cake by Treviling.

If I was a Cgy fan, i'd have been tormented by Gaudreau leaving. But man he made up for that **** quick.
7 oct. 2022 à 16 h 40
IG vincemark78
Mentions "j'aime": 82
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Great signing for the Flames. In my book, this makes them the clear favorite to win the Pacific Division. And I got two horses in that race.

the pacific is looking very competitive this season. all the teams got better or changed **** up. Vegas and Vancouver are darkhorses. LA got Fiala and growth from their younger guys. Seattle got much better and theres no way their goaltending is that bad again. Even the Ducks picked up some legit good players.

Atlantic and Pacific this year are stacked.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
7 oct. 2022 à 16 h 44
torontos finest
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
Age curves in hockey have been known for a while now. A lot of research by guys like Tulsky who is AGM of hurricanes. Plenty of data showing when players peak. You can choose to look at all the data or just use what you feel it is without any actual data.

I don't believe I've denied that there are age curves in hockey. I'm just doubting the value of the chart you posted.

Or you could actually think when you look at the chart. Same reason why defenceman don't peak at 39. I think most people would understand that lmao.

I thought about it and came to the conclusion the chart is useless.

Ok if he's playing well at 33 I'll delete my account. If he isn't you delete your account. Fair?

Ping me in 5 years and see what happens.

In 2015 when their cap wasn't an issue lmao? The Vlasic / Burns / Couture / Karlsson deals didn't exist. Their cap was shorter term fair value contracts. Thornton/Marleau were taking 3 year deals. Pavelski was on a 5 year deal. Not 8 year gigantic deals.

Predators had one of the best cap situations in 2016/2017. Only 3 contracts 6M+. This is also before the Duchene / Johansen. Only big long term deal was Subban and that was signed when he was 25.

So what killed both teams was getting to the cup finals before all these players came due and they all fell off. Calgary has everyone locked in for the next 4-5 years and the cap is expected to go up.
7 oct. 2022 à 16 h 52
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 104
armchair GMs can giving up the weegar leafs trades now. Go flames
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
7 oct. 2022 à 17 h 31
Hawks Fan
Mentions "j'aime": 1,598
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
So this seals the deal.

Calgary wins the Tkachuk, or at least doesn’t lose massively.

Yes
7 oct. 2022 à 18 h 19
Jones is Underpaid
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 939
Amazing value for what he provides as a No. 1 defenseman. Calgary needs to win now, but with their core locked up long-term, and plenty of great supplementary pieces, they’re looking like they have a decent window.

And even on an individual level, sure Weegar may not be great the last few years, but the ridiculously low cap hit now for being one of the best defensive defensemen in the league just pushes it over the top. Great deal.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
7 oct. 2022 à 20 h 2
Rejoint: nov. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 11
Modifié 7 oct. 2022 à 20 h 9
The people on here still suggesting that Calgary didn't win this trade are absolutely insane. Without any of the other pieces involved, even if it was Hubs for Tkachuk straight up the flames still win this trade. Hubs has been arguably the best winger in the league over the past 3 years, amongst the likes of Marner, Panarin, Ovechkin, Kane, Marchand and Rantanen. Even with the emergence of Kaprizov, and hopefully a healthy Kucherov you can still argue him being one of if not the best wingers in the league. Throw in Weegar and a 1st, on top of the context of Tkachuk publicly wanting out and its not even close. This is a complete fleece of a trade in favor of calgary. Add on the 2 signing for solid aavs and it gets even better. I think its very likely that the Flames improve off of last season, and the Panthers take a massive step back. Seriously, with the injuries and the pieces they've lost the Panthers are one Ekblad knee injury (and it seems almost like a guarantee to happen again at this point) from being a bubble playoff team.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
7 oct. 2022 à 21 h 43
MajorMoose
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,602
Amazing how Treliving turned a nightmare scenario into a win
Gmonwy et Stark a aimé ceci.
7 oct. 2022 à 22 h 21
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 769
That's not really true.

overall-war-f_d.png

Decline usually starts at 29. Defenceman usually decline earlier. Think of all the guys like Subban, Vlasic, Ekman-Larsson etc... Very few players can keep it up in their 30s. Those guys are usually HOF talent players like Josi / Doughty.

Those age charts are for the "average" player. I guess, I mean it does say "average" in the heading, but people don't really understand what "average" is. Average includes players below average, all the players you have probably forgotten about.

There needs to be a chart for when "good" players decline, however you wanna measure "good" players.

I mean, look at the simple counting stats. The chart says the "average" player peaks at age 23, right?

Now look at the top 10 in points:
25 (age)

Hmm, kinda strange that no one is 23 or younger, yet that is when a player peaks? Hmm.
7 oct. 2022 à 23 h 9
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 847
I'm not as bullish as others are with this deal, but I think it's a solid win for Calgary.
7 oct. 2022 à 23 h 11
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,923
The trade is settled before the
The trade is settled before the season even starts lmao?

season even starts lmao?

Yup.
8 oct. 2022 à 7 h 54
Rejoint: oct. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 34
The trade is a win for both teams.

Its a win for Calgary because they made the best out of a terrible situation and keep their window open for another 3 years. They now have three (with Kadri) potential albatross contracts to deal with later, but they've set themselves up for another run at the Cup after despite losing two 100 point players.

Its a win for Florida because the question of whether to extend two guys into their later thirties at top dollar or let them walk for nothing is solved. Instead they've got the prime years of a top forward, and won't be looking at buyout hell like the Wild are now.

I'd rather see my team on the Florida side of this deal, but the next 4 years of Calgary look far better they did when Tkachuk let them know he wasn't coming back.
Db1899 a aimé ceci.
8 oct. 2022 à 11 h 44
Rejoint: août 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 44
The trade is settled before the season even starts lmao?

I mean... the fact that everybody is signed long term is what settles the trade. We are not sure who of CGY and FLA is going to win, but it really looks good for CGY. 1st Line wing+ high top 4 def + 1st pick+ prospect for a younger grindier 1st Line wing and a 4th is really good for CGY and entends their Cup window of opportunity
8 oct. 2022 à 11 h 49
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,465
Makes no sense. Tkachuk is in his prime at 24. How is that close to the same value as a 30 year old winger on a bigger contract?

Weird how the big analytics guy that's against giving older players big contracts thinks this is smart now. I guess it's smart when it's the team you root for lol.

Just to add to what you said. In the future is the 16.75m spend on Huberneau and Weegar good value? if not hardly a Calgary win. And it's not like Calgary has added 16.75m of good players. They have exchanged these two newly signed players with other players they could have signed for the same amount. Of course we will never know who those "unknown" players are. But in meantime Calgary has a good team, but in the future Kadri's, Huberneau's and Weager's expensive long term contracts could be a detriment.
8 oct. 2022 à 13 h 38
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 2,275
Great contract for Calgary. I think Weegar definitely could have gotten more.
8 oct. 2022 à 13 h 59
Not yet trannycided
Rejoint: févr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,012
Now that's an amazing contract. It goes for a long time, but Weegar is an elite dman, and the price is way below what a guy of his caliber should get.
8 oct. 2022 à 14 h 50
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 271
I like Weegar, but not at that value or that long a term.
The question becomes is winning the trade for the first 2-3 years of the deal worth it- for 3 or 4 years of cap hell when he slows down and becomes Vlasic 2.0?
8 oct. 2022 à 18 h 42
hi
Mentions "j'aime": 1
Nice signing i estimated 6.25x6
9 oct. 2022 à 5 h 4
Go Nucks Go
Mentions "j'aime": 27
Tidy business by Treviling. Good on him for locking him in. Given that guys like Severson are going to get like 6 million next year, this seems like a great deal. Especially considering that Gudbranson got 4 million from crazy Jarmo.😊
10 oct. 2022 à 15 h 50
Rejoint: mai 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 294
Quoting: AndrewLadd
Got a feeling this one won’t age well

happy^ This happy^

Do people realize how bad Weegar has been recently? Dude is extremely overrated. Costed the Panthers a few games in the playoffs as well.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage