SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Dallas Stars signed Jason Robertson (4 Years / $7,750,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

6 oct. 2022 à 7 h 49
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 18,314
Quoting: Garak
The difference with DeBrincat is that we know his Qualifying offer is a minimum of $9M. Other than Tkachuk's $9M QO, the rest of the players you mentioned had QO's that were much lower than their market value. Robertson will command a minimum of $9.3M AAV after this bridge deal is up.

The QO does not mean it’s a floor for next AAV unless you are talking 1-year deals.
Brian2016 a aimé ceci.
6 oct. 2022 à 8 h 5
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 10,410
Quoting: mart
So Meier will get $10M AAV?

Yeah. Probably. ESPECIALLY with the anticipation of the cap ceiling shooting up the following year, and ESPECIALLY if he has a great 22-23 season. Guys like him and Cat will be attempting to get ahead of the curve so. In a few years, 9 and 10 million dollar contracts will be pretty standard.
6 oct. 2022 à 8 h 8
Quoting: NHLfan10506
The QO does not mean it’s a floor for next AAV unless you are talking 1-year deals.

I can almost guarantee Cat gets at least $9M in his next contract and there is no reason for him to command anything less than the maximum term of 8 years.
6 oct. 2022 à 8 h 9
Go Jets Go
Rejoint: mars 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 4,178
I was worried about the deal when I saw 4 years...figured it walked him right to UFA status but clearly I was wrong. I always thought after your 7th pro year you turn UFA...can anyone be a gem and explain it to me?!
dickie_boon a aimé ceci.
6 oct. 2022 à 8 h 30
Quoting: Rooney
I was worried about the deal when I saw 4 years...figured it walked him right to UFA status but clearly I was wrong. I always thought after your 7th pro year you turn UFA...can anyone be a gem and explain it to me?!

Age 27 or after 7 pro seasons.

Robertson has had two pro seasons. Add four and it gets him to final year of RFA.
6 oct. 2022 à 8 h 31
yotes own canada
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 746
thank. god. thank god. all you people acting like hes going to be traded i knew from the beginning that he never wanted too much money. this way he REMAINS AN RFA. thank you nill
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
6 oct. 2022 à 8 h 33
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 32

Good thing about CapFriendly is that you can clink on CBA FAQ in top bar and search UFA. Voilà now you now why.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
6 oct. 2022 à 8 h 35
Go Jets Go
Age 27 or after 7 pro seasons.

Robertson has had two pro seasons. Add four and it gets him to final year of RFA.

I thought Robertson had 3 pro season though...one spent majority in the AHL, and now 2 in the NHL which is 3. Or is it only NHL pro seasons that count?
6 oct. 2022 à 8 h 35
I can almost guarantee Cat gets at least $9M in his next contract and there is no reason for him to command anything less than the maximum term of 8 years.

He may get $9 million. But the QA amount does not lock in a floor for him (or anyone).

Barzal had $10m QO and signed for $9.15m
Boeser had $7.5m OQ and signed for $6.65m
Kotkaniemi has $6.1m QO and signed for $4.82m
6 oct. 2022 à 8 h 37

He could accept any number he wants over the league minimum and under the league maximum. But what a QO does is says he has THE RIGHT to walk away and become a UFA if they don't offer him a minimum of $9M aav, no matter the term involved. They do retain his negotiating rights if they offer him one year at $9M, but that doesn't mean he has to accept it. Arbitration would give him $9M and if they didn't he would probably end up on a 1 year contract and become a UFA in the summer of 2024... Unless he really wants to take a discount and stay in OTT, which, no offense to OTT, but I doubt that is appealing to him.
6 oct. 2022 à 8 h 39
Go Jets Go
Quoting: Shock
Good thing about CapFriendly is that you can clink on CBA FAQ in top bar and search UFA. Voilà now you now why.

Lol, yes I am aware thank you wink Still didn't make sense though, it seems as though he should qualify for UFA status based off of how I interpreted it...
6 oct. 2022 à 8 h 40
I thought Robertson had 3 pro season though...one spent majority in the AHL, and now 2 in the NHL which is 3. Or is it only NHL pro seasons that count?

AHL season can accumulate towards Group 6 UFA, but not towards Group 3 UFA
Rooney et OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
6 oct. 2022 à 8 h 42
Go Jets Go
AHL season can accumulate towards Group 6 UFA, but not towards Group 3 UFA

This is what I was missing, THANK YOU! Makes sense!
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
6 oct. 2022 à 8 h 43
He may get $9 million. But the QA amount does not lock in a floor for him (or anyone).

Barzal had $10m QO and signed for $9.15m
Boeser had $7.5m OQ and signed for $6.65m
Kotkaniemi has $6.1m QO and signed for $4.82m

It all depends on negotiating power. And DeBrincat and his agent have plenty of negotiating power. They would easily get a $9M aav on the open market. Kotkaniemi is a special case and you know it, but nice try. Boeser hasn't performed and doesn't have the negotiating power to test free agency. Barzal is a great player, but he got overpaid. But he has played his entire career for NYI and has stated over and over that he does not intend to leave. Cat has no attachment to OTT, can score 40 goals a season, and is well within his rights to walk away from OTT if they don't give him $9m... So why wouldn't he at least test free agency if they can't give him that much?
6 oct. 2022 à 8 h 44
He could accept any number he wants over the league minimum and under the league maximum. But what a QO does is says he has THE RIGHT to walk away and become a UFA if they don't offer him a minimum of $9M aav, no matter the term involved. They do retain his negotiating rights if they offer him one year at $9M, but that doesn't mean he has to accept it. Arbitration would give him $9M and if they didn't he would probably end up on a 1 year contract and become a UFA in the summer of 2024... Unless he really wants to take a discount and stay in OTT, which, no offense to OTT, but I doubt that is appealing to him.

Right. Some often believe QO amount is a hard floor, meaning that player's next salary cannot go below that figure. I was misreading your earlier statement as following that misconception.

In DeBrincat's case, he should get close to $9m. Although Ottawa has not been shy lately in paying their guys.
Garak a aimé ceci.
6 oct. 2022 à 8 h 49
Right. Some often believe QO amount is a hard floor, meaning that player's next salary cannot go below that figure. I was misreading your earlier statement as following that misconception.

In DeBrincat's case, he should get close to $9m. Although Ottawa has not been shy lately in paying their guys.

For sure. But if you run an OTT ACGM for next season, it is going to be VERY difficult for them to give him that without moving some bodies out and/or others taking some serious discounts and/or them sacrificing the future (with OTT) of other young players in their system.
6 oct. 2022 à 9 h 33
Rejoint: janv. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 11,984
Obviously this is an excellent deal in that he's a 9mil+ forward making less than 8, but I'm voting no because they will end up regretting not finding the room to lock him up long term.
6 oct. 2022 à 10 h 7
Formerly Jamiepo
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 10,700
Quoting: justaBoss
Bridge deal or not, financially speaking the point stands. 4 year deal benefits both Dallas and Robertson equally. What happens after this four year time is a question mark for future, but right now I don't really have any reason to believe he wants out, so calling it a Tkachuk-esque situation is veeeery premature.

17 goals to 41 goals is certainly a big jump, but he's pretty much played his whole career as a PPG guy, starting from year one.

It might have been what is best for both sides. I disagree. This was best for Robertson. He gets to put the the clamps on Dallas when the cap is 100m. Stars should have moved Doby and got 8 years.

What it isn't is "the best contract ever". Stars fans making wild posts all over this site over a bridge deal as if they had never seen one.

Don't mean to crap on a good thing for the stars. Robertson in the lineup is certainly that
6 oct. 2022 à 10 h 12
What in tarnation
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 31,449
Quoting: GenXHockey
It might have been what is best for both sides. I disagree. This was best for Robertson. He gets to put the the clamps on Dallas when the cap is 100m. Stars should have moved Doby and got 8 years.

What it isn't is "the best contract ever". Stars fans making wild posts all over this site over a bridge deal as if they had never seen one.

Don't mean to crap on a good thing for the stars. Robertson in the lineup is certainly that

At the end of the day, this was the best deal in current circumstances that didn't require doing other moves. We can go back and forth in debating which was the better deal for Dallas or Robertson himself between four or eight year deals, but as a fan I'm still very satisfied of the outcome.

I shudder to think what would've happened if Klingberg had accepted the 8 year, $56M deal DAL reportedly offered him (which his agent snubbed, leading him to getting fired afterwards).
GenXHockey a aimé ceci.
6 oct. 2022 à 11 h 24
Formerly Jamiepo
Mentions "j'aime": 10,700
Quoting: justaBoss
At the end of the day, this was the best deal in current circumstances that didn't require doing other moves. We can go back and forth in debating which was the better deal for Dallas or Robertson himself between four or eight year deals, but as a fan I'm still very satisfied of the outcome.

I shudder to think what would've happened if Klingberg had accepted the 8 year, $56M deal DAL reportedly offered him (which his agent snubbed, leading him to getting fired afterwards).

Which honestly isn't a horrible contract at all for the stars. the Benn contract is the issue. Seguin also needs to return to form to make his contract palatable.

Personally I think 8x10m would have been a solid contract both ways. Robertson is locjed up for his most productive years (23-31) no chance of him walking in his prime or demanding a crazy deal that carries him till 35.
6 oct. 2022 à 11 h 38
Mentions "j'aime": 246
When I first saw this deal, I thought it was great value, but figured Dallas had to sacrifice locking Robertson up for as short a term as possible, but then I realized he's still an RFA at the end of the deal, and while that QO is a bit higher, it's not nearly the jump from his AAV that Meier's is, and realistically he's had a comparable start to guys like Marner and Rantanen, so the $9.3M AAV wouldn't have been a big stretch today if he had that deal, so this is a massive win for Dallas.
6 oct. 2022 à 11 h 47
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,191
ACGMers said $11m for Gaudreau. He signed $9.75m.
ACGMers said $9.5m for Forsberg. He signed $8.5m.
ACGMers said $10m+ for Laine. He signed for $8.75m
ACGMers said $11m for Tkachuk. He signed for $9.5m
ACGMers said $9m for Robertson. He signed for $7.75m.

(yes, its a trend...)

ACGMers are saying $9.25m for DeBrincat.
ACGMers are saying $10m+ for Pastrnak.

acgmers forget about the flat cap
NHLfan10506 a aimé ceci.
6 oct. 2022 à 12 h 52
Jetsfan
Rejoint: sept. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,589
And im just happy that we got Connor for 7.1 and Ehlers for 6....
6 oct. 2022 à 13 h 33
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 453
if this is all it took why did it take so long? this could have been done before training camp easily.
6 oct. 2022 à 15 h 2
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 177
Notable that with the rules changed for QO's in the new CBA, it's not necessarily equal to the salary in the last season of the contract. It's the lower of either 120% of the AAV for the deal and the amount earned in the final season. Of course that doesn't matter in this case, because the salary in the final year of the contract is exactly equal to 120% of the AAV for the deal, so his QO will have to be $9.3M (assuming he's not re-signed ahead of time).

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage